Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

baka kaba posted:

Also in case you're not aware, generally you keep your hand moving up and down at a constant rate when you're strumming, in time with the beat. You actually do a strum by letting your hand contact the strings on the way up or down - and strumming patterns are often written like that, down down up up down and so on (with the missing movements still happening, you just don't strum on those - down up down up down up down up if you like)

This is good because it seriously reduces the amount of brainpower you have to dedicate to timing the strums - you just need to keep your arm moving at a constant speed, and touch the strings at the appropriate time, and it'll just work and sound right. You don't need to wait and then fire your arm out at the right moment for each strum, y'know? Some people find it easy, others have to think a bit about some patterns, so don't worry if it's still tricky

Yeah I'm fairly good at keeping rhythm as long as chord changes aren't involved. As soon as I have to do anything with my fretting hand my strumming breaks down. It's like my brain is saying "Oh poo poo these fingers are trying to do something! Put all energy into that!" Obviously it'll get better with practice. It's just something frustrating me right now.

dex_sda posted:

Rhythm is everything. Never falter with the strumming hand. Sound like poo poo during the chord change if you must. Your left hand will figure out a way to match the chops of your right because it has no choice; your right hand will only get better if you practice it.

Thanks. I needed to hear that. I guess too focused on getting the chords right? I just figured that was more important or something. One problem I'm having with the Justin Guitar app is that it isn't really clear on what you're supposed to be getting out of the lessons/practice or how to do them "correctly" :shrug:

baka kaba posted:

Another tip is that people often do one or two percussive strums at the end of a bar (muting with the fretting hand), or maybe strumming open strings, which gives you time to get your hand in place for the next chord. So instead of having to change instantaneously you get a little breathing room

Like if you watch that Justin video around 2:10 where he starts playing (he's intentionally messing some stuff up but don't worry about that), he lifts off the chord early so the last strum is some open strings, so it goes daaa daaa daaa da da ner doo doo doo do do ner deeee. While he's playing that he's lining up to drop the next chord down

Ooh yeah I'll give that a shot. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

dex_sda posted:

Rhythm is everything. Never falter with the strumming hand. Sound like poo poo during the chord change if you must. Your left hand will figure out a way to match the chops of your right because it has no choice; your right hand will only get better if you practice it.

Chord changes are very difficult at the start. Just keep working them (Justin's one minute changes are an amazing exercise when you start out), while also working on your strumming rhythm - and you'll get there.

This is basically how I learned to play rhythm. The strumming hand is much more important than the fretting hand. An open or percussed transition chord sound pretty cool imo.

All around cool dude Paul Davids also made this video that really helped me.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9iVDuMN1BJA

rio
Mar 20, 2008

its curtains for Kevin posted:

Is there any interest in a copy of the Donny audio? They don’t publish to YT, but I’m going in to rip the CDs and will make a copy available for some of you guys if you want.

Sure, I’d love to hear what was going on there.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
He had a Data Corrupter and an avalanche run for his sax, bizarrely enough. I really want an avalanche run now but 💵 🔥

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
The best way to learn any instrument is under the threat of physical violence, imo.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

Peetown Manning posted:

The best way to learn any instrument is under the threat of physical violence, imo.

Ahhhh yes, the Joe Jackson method.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Krustic posted:

Ahhhh yes, the Joe Jackson method.

Murry Wilson too :(

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

Thanks. I needed to hear that. I guess too focused on getting the chords right? I just figured that was more important or something. One problem I'm having with the Justin Guitar app is that it isn't really clear on what you're supposed to be getting out of the lessons/practice or how to do them "correctly" :shrug:

Basically, there's three things you need to learn as a beginner:
1) Steady rhythm of the strumming hand. This is by far the most important - which is why at first your rhythm should be ridiculously simple. We're talking straight 4 downstrokes to a bar, maybe some accents. This needs to be cock solid.
2) The chord changes to be correct. This means that you press the right dots, and also you do not 'build' the chord during a strum. (this can be useful especially for fingerstyle but that's for when the songs are simply too complex to do the entire change in one go, so for now just focus on getting it right) This is just muscle memory, and best served by learning for the song. As said, empty strings before chord change sound okay or even cool! Get the changes correct where you place fingers neatly together.
3) And finally... the chord changes to be fast enough. This is best trained by doing one minute changes Justin recommends. They will get your speed and accuracy up very fast. As you get better your hands will start to figure this out depending on the song.

A good practice routine at the start is:
- Since music is most fun and you want to produce music, pick a *very* easy song you want to play. This is now your first goal - and it's the reason you will be doing practice. Always have a realistic goal in your sights, it'll make practice fun.

As far as choice, we're talking chords you know, very simplified rhythm. Justin's stage 1 songs are a great idea here. Pick any one you like. E A D, all can be played with close to 4:4 rhythm. Some of them he even shows a simple version and then a more difficult one so you can gauge your progress as you improve this song :)
- a few minutes of just strumming a simple strum, maybe even with muted strings. Ideally to a metronome or a backbeat of your song, but you can try free time too.
- one minute chord changes for every change you need in the song you picked. This will get your hands to learn.
- Finally, try playing the song. If you keep at it you'll have the song down in a few days. Along with the rhythm needed for the song, the chords and the timing. From there on it gets easier and easier :)

I do recommend watching his lessons and following them like that, btw, he has a nice practice schedule for everything so you know what you need to do. The app is just help.

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 13, 2018

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah I'm fairly good at keeping rhythm as long as chord changes aren't involved. As soon as I have to do anything with my fretting hand my strumming breaks down. It's like my brain is saying "Oh poo poo these fingers are trying to do something! Put all energy into that!" Obviously it'll get better with practice. It's just something frustrating me right now.

learn ac/dc's it's a long way to the top. the main riff is one chord and the chorus is just three chords, each strummed once

that justin guitar dude even made a video about it as good a beginner song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQHQ-SZC4vo

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
I need audio references for some recording, doing low-A Baritone fuzz guitar with drums and shoegaze vocals, might add a regular guitar an octave above.

Give me your best doom.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.
Anyone have any experience with Strat sized P90s? I am not looking to spend $100+ a pickup and wondering if there are any budget options that still have a P90 feel. I saw that Dimarzio has one, but can't find much in the way of clips or comparisons with other pickups. I was hoping to keep a classic strat look, so most likely don't want the lace sensors.

I am also debating whether I want it just for the bridge, bridge/neck with a more standard single coil for some 2/4 quack, or all 3 p90s. So any experience you have would probably be useful.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

My only experience with P90s is that they own and you should replace all of your pickups with P90s.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Anyone have an opinion on these BodyRez acoustic pickup enhancer pedals? Seems like a pretty cool effect in a box. Kind of want one for the piezo on my music man.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Gripen5 posted:

Anyone have any experience with Strat sized P90s? I am not looking to spend $100+ a pickup and wondering if there are any budget options that still have a P90 feel. I saw that Dimarzio has one, but can't find much in the way of clips or comparisons with other pickups. I was hoping to keep a classic strat look, so most likely don't want the lace sensors.

I am also debating whether I want it just for the bridge, bridge/neck with a more standard single coil for some 2/4 quack, or all 3 p90s. So any experience you have would probably be useful.

I just picked up a Dimarzio dp111 sds-1 bridge pickup that sounds kinda like what you’re describing but it hasn’t arrived yet. It’s like 50 bucks plus MF has a 10% off coupon. Here the description- Recommended for bridge position. It might look like a Strat guitar pickup, but the SDS-1„¢ adds balls, gain and warmth reminiscent of the best old soapbar pickups. I was sold at adds balls.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

Krustic posted:

I just picked up a Dimarzio dp111 sds-1 bridge pickup that sounds kinda like what you’re describing but it hasn’t arrived yet. It’s like 50 bucks plus MF has a 10% off coupon. Here the description- Recommended for bridge position. It might look like a Strat guitar pickup, but the SDS-1„¢ adds balls, gain and warmth reminiscent of the best old soapbar pickups. I was sold at adds balls.

Yeah, that is one of the ones I am looking at. There are a few other boutique ones as well, like Fralin. BG pickups has its own version too. They seem to range from about $50 to $125 or so. BG even has a full calibrated set for what seems like a mostly reasonable price of $145.

Let me know what you think.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

What's a good humidifier solution for an acoustic guitar? I'm buying my wife an acoustic that is nicer than the junky $90 Yamaha I have, and I'd like to keep it right.

I live in the Phoenix area, and it's super dry with humidity that dips to the low 20's. I also don't yet have a case for the new guitar.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

canyoneer posted:

What's a good humidifier solution for an acoustic guitar? I'm buying my wife an acoustic that is nicer than the junky $90 Yamaha I have, and I'd like to keep it right.

I live in the Phoenix area, and it's super dry with humidity that dips to the low 20's. I also don't yet have a case for the new guitar.

Will you have a case or are you looking for a room humidifier? If you are looking for a case humidifier it is hard to beat the Humidipak, which is a gel pouch that puts out or sucks up humidity to keep the level at 50-55%.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Gripen5 posted:

Yeah, that is one of the ones I am looking at. There are a few other boutique ones as well, like Fralin. BG pickups has its own version too. They seem to range from about $50 to $125 or so. BG even has a full calibrated set for what seems like a mostly reasonable price of $145.

Let me know what you think.

I’ve never heard of bg pickups but they seem pretty nice and affordable. I’ll have to read up on them. I’ll post a review of the dimarzio once I receive and install it.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

dex_sda posted:

Basically, there's three things you need to learn as a beginner:
1) Steady rhythm of the strumming hand. This is by far the most important - which is why at first your rhythm should be ridiculously simple. We're talking straight 4 downstrokes to a bar, maybe some accents. This needs to be cock solid.

Okay so I should probably go back to doing that then? I've reached a point in the app where I'm told to strum down at every beat and up after beats 2 and 3. Again, the lesson wasn't really clear on what it expected of you with that so I just did it with muted strings for a while and thought "hey this is easy" and went ahead with it, but actually trying to play something in that way is out of my reach right. I just figured that was normal and it would be sussed out as I continued to practice? I don't know.

dex_sda posted:

2) The chord changes to be correct. This means that you press the right dots, and also you do not 'build' the chord during a strum. (this can be useful especially for fingerstyle but that's for when the songs are simply too complex to do the entire change in one go, so for now just focus on getting it right) This is just muscle memory, and best served by learning for the song. As said, empty strings before chord change sound okay or even cool! Get the changes correct where you place fingers neatly together.

Wait so I should stop doing that thing where I "walk" my fingers into place? This is literally the only way I can even make chords at this point :saddowns:. I can sometimes do a D by placing all fingers simultaneously in the correct place, but I still gently caress it up most of the time.

dex_sda posted:

3) And finally... the chord changes to be fast enough. This is best trained by doing one minute changes Justin recommends. They will get your speed and accuracy up very fast. As you get better your hands will start to figure this out depending on the song.

Yeah the one minute changes are most of what I do when I pick up the instrument, so I'm doing that at least.

dex_sda posted:

A good practice routine at the start is:
- Since music is most fun and you want to produce music, pick a *very* easy song you want to play. This is now your first goal - and it's the reason you will be doing practice. Always have a realistic goal in your sights, it'll make practice fun.

As far as choice, we're talking chords you know, very simplified rhythm. Justin's stage 1 songs are a great idea here. Pick any one you like. E A D, all can be played with close to 4:4 rhythm. Some of them he even shows a simple version and then a more difficult one so you can gauge your progress as you improve this song :)

What would be a "*very* easy song," then? When I first started I wanted to try for Pink Floyd's Wot's... Uh the Deal because the strumming seems fairly simple and I can do all of the chords, but there's quite a lot of them. It's probably more of a "aim for in a year, not in a few months" kinda thing. I don't particularly like a lot of the recommended songs in the OP or the Stage 1 list, but I'm sure I can probably use some of them for practice.

dex_sda posted:

- a few minutes of just strumming a simple strum, maybe even with muted strings. Ideally to a metronome or a backbeat of your song, but you can try free time too.
- one minute chord changes for every change you need in the song you picked. This will get your hands to learn.
- Finally, try playing the song. If you keep at it you'll have the song down in a few days. Along with the rhythm needed for the song, the chords and the timing. From there on it gets easier and easier :)

I do recommend watching his lessons and following them like that, btw, he has a nice practice schedule for everything so you know what you need to do. The app is just help.

This is really helpful. I was under the impression that the app is meant to stand on its own and it never really occurred to me to use it as a supplement to his website stuff. Honestly I'd probably find a lot of the songs way less frustrating to play along with if I actually watched his videos on them to see him break it down. I tend to avoid doing them because of this, which is a bad habit I know.

Thanks for your patience!

The Muppets On PCP posted:

learn ac/dc's it's a long way to the top. the main riff is one chord and the chorus is just three chords, each strummed once

that justin guitar dude even made a video about it as good a beginner song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQHQ-SZC4vo

This sounds pretty cool but it seems to be a bit more complicated than you make it out to be. I have an acoustic anyway, or does that matter?

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Feb 14, 2018

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Outkast "Hey Ya" is 4 simple chords and a meaningful strumming pattern

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Any jazz people, just finished part 2 of how to memorize songs through common chord progressions (part 1 is on my channel too and part 2 can be watched alone but if you are new to it part 1 might be useful to watch first). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wotdezph29g

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Mak0rz posted:

Okay so I should probably go back to doing that then? I've reached a point in the app where I'm told to strum down at every beat and up after beats 2 and 3. Again, the lesson wasn't really clear on what it expected of you with that so I just did it with muted strings for a while and thought "hey this is easy" and went ahead with it, but actually trying to play something in that way is out of my reach right. I just figured that was normal and it would be sussed out as I continued to practice? I don't know

dex is saying you need to be able to maintain a solid rhythm with your strumming hand, moving it constantly in time with the beat. So the most basic pattern (with the easiest strums) is four downstrokes, and you need to be able to do that in time - get a metronome going and check how you do. Try it with the upstrokes instead (they're harder), and once you're comfortable with that, do both, so you're hitting all eight down- and upstrokes (might be hard, you're getting no breaks, but you should be able to do it in bursts)

Once you know you can do that, try some other strumming patterns - they're not hard, just do different patterns of touching or not touching the strings as your hand moves up or down each time. The first example was all downstrokes, where you're skipping all the upstrokes - well, mix that up a bit. Pick any pattern you want, just keep it consistent, and always keep your hand moving up and down constantly - it's keeping time

You should be able to do that holding a single chord, and then you just need to learn to switch to other chords in time. Try it with two chords - play your strumming pattern with chord 1, then switch to chord 2 and play it again. Your strumming hand doesn't stop playing while you do this, it keeps the rhythm going, so you need to build up the coordination to switch quick enough and clean enough with your fretting hand. Like I said, you can mute or hit some open strings while you're changing position

I wouldn't worry about walking your fingers into position personally, if you mean putting one finger down first followed by the others. I still do that a lot of the time, it's just you get very fast at doing it so it's effectively like dropping them all in place at once. You can do that too once you build up the muscle memory and coordination. It's also common to recognise anchor fingers (a finger that stays in the same place between two chords) which is like putting one finger down first, it was just already there :frogbon: other people and teachers might see it as a crutch, I don't know - I think it helps when you're starting out

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

Okay so I should probably go back to doing that then? I've reached a point in the app where I'm told to strum down at every beat and up after beats 2 and 3. Again, the lesson wasn't really clear on what it expected of you with that so I just did it with muted strings for a while and thought "hey this is easy" and went ahead with it, but actually trying to play something in that way is out of my reach right. I just figured that was normal and it would be sussed out as I continued to practice? I don't know.
If you can practice a rhythm keep doing it. Just don't try a 16th note rhythm with ties for a while. Although I learned Space Oddity quite soon after picking up a guitar so it might work for you... but I think it's better to get a solid foundation first.

Mak0rz posted:

Wait so I should stop doing that thing where I "walk" my fingers into place? This is literally the only way I can even make chords at this point :saddowns:. I can sometimes do a D by placing all fingers simultaneously in the correct place, but I still gently caress it up most of the time.
It's "better" to have the chord ready in the air and put it down. But don't worry about it at first, just make sure you put it down in a way that makes it sound right. I still 'walk' fingers into place for many chords.

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah the one minute changes are most of what I do when I pick up the instrument, so I'm doing that at least.
They are excellent.

Mak0rz posted:

What would be a "*very* easy song," then? When I first started I wanted to try for Pink Floyd's Wot's... Uh the Deal because the strumming seems fairly simple and I can do all of the chords, but there's quite a lot of them. It's probably more of a "aim for in a year, not in a few months" kinda thing. I don't particularly like a lot of the recommended songs in the OP or the Stage 1 list, but I'm sure I can probably use some of them for practice.
I would pick a favorite from stage 1 in Justin's course. He's picked them for a reason (very few chords, easy strumming). I learned "I Walk The Line" as my first song off Justin, and I even learned the 'advanced' version he shows off pretty quick.

Wot's ain't too hard but it's a little much for a beginner.

Mak0rz posted:

This is really helpful. I was under the impression that the app is meant to stand on its own and it never really occurred to me to use it as a supplement to his website stuff. Honestly I'd probably find a lot of the songs way less frustrating to play along with if I actually watched his videos on them to see him break it down. I tend to avoid doing them because of this, which is a bad habit I know.

Thanks for your patience!
Yep, and no problem.

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Feb 14, 2018

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

dex_sda posted:

Wot's ain't too hard but it's a little much for a beginner.

"Free Four" off the same album is simpler and pretty consistent... also a good one for learning to sing while playing.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mak0rz posted:

"Blitzkrieg Bop" is one of the easiest songs out there. It's only 4 chords, all of which use the exact same fingering and just shifting up and down the fretboard or shifting one string up or down. And since it's a loud punk song, you can be a little sloppy and nobody will notice!

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Feb 14, 2018

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
Justin Guitar is great for chords I'm learning (only 3 weeks in), but it gets so boring so fast mostly because I can still barely do the A - D change at 25bpm and A - E less than that.

I went and picked up Hal Leonard Guitar Method since it focuses on learning how to read music (or re-learning how to read music for me), and working single strings at a time and progressing that way.

I start and end each session working on the one minute chord changes & the beat exercises with the goal of doing something like A - D only until I get 40bpm consistently. Then working on it not quite as much as it progresses up to 60bpm but adding in A - E as a bigger focus. Then moving that way.

The middle of my time though is spent following the Hal Leonard book as it's more fun and you feel like you are progressing way faster.

I figure eventually by the time the book introduces chords, both focuses will merge together and I can decide what to do then.

But it has helped me with strumming rhythm, telling each one of my idiot fingers where to go, and putting both of those together.

The only thing I'm really struggling with is deciding which way I want to play the A chord. The Justin method just seems wrong, but the traditional way I can't ever get a clean sound with my pointer finger.

Which way to most people play the A chord when learning?

ragle
Nov 1, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

What would be a "*very* easy song," then?

CCR and Neil Young have a lot of easy ones

Bad Moon Rising chords
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWzhEBJJP7k

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Alfalfa posted:

Which way to most people play the A chord when learning?

I usually do a one finger bar for the A and just disregard the high e string. I think Justin goes over that in stage 4? If you can't do Justin's kinda staggered recomendation for the A chord and you can't do all in line with the index middle and ring, you can also try doing all in line with the middle ring and pinky.

Edit: Here's Justin's lesson on the A fingering with the mini bar form.
https://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-143-Aminibar-chord.php

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 14, 2018

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Since my walls are too thin for an Egnater Tweaker, I'm looking into a modelling amp. Specifically, the Boss Katana/Fender Mustang/Marshall Code trifecta. The Katana makes pleasing noises, but I appreciate all of the functions being accessible on the Mustang amp itself. BUT I also appreciate being able to attenuate the power on the Katana. Maybe I should just get a multi-fx unit and some studio monitors instead? gently caress I wish I lived in the mountains so I could just blast away at whatever volume I wanted.

Is the Katana pretty usable without having to plug it into a computer?

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 14, 2018

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

canyoneer posted:

Outkast "Hey Ya" is 4 simple chords and a meaningful strumming pattern

Yeah but it's got some weird poo poo going on with the timing, mixing 4/4 measures with 2/4.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah but it's got some weird poo poo going on with the timing, mixing 4/4 measures with 2/4.

That's fair.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

chitoryu12 posted:

"Blitzkrieg Bop" is one of the easiest songs out there. It's only 4 chords, all of which use the exact same fingering and just shifting up and down the fretboard or shifting one string up or down. And since it's a loud punk song, you can be a little sloppy and nobody will notice!

Tommy was a goddamn human metronome and a big part of why the OG lineup still sounds so unique forty years later: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXN8wG7DCOY

A big part of my learning process early on was playing (and singing!) the first two Ramones records every day after work, and I made sure that the "User 01" pattern in my drum machine is a Tommy Ramone beat.

I've got a half-hour recording of that for practice use, if anyone wants me to put it online, btw.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Mak0rz posted:

Beginner Questions

Honestly, I wouldn't even bother with songs at this early level. When I was in stage 1 and 2 it was too frustrating modifying songs to make them playable, it just wasn't close enough to the real thing for me. In not very long you'll have a bunch more chords and a lot more ability to rhythm, and songs will fall into place pretty naturally at that point.

What I'd do for now is pull of a simple drum beat on youtube, and just practice doing 4 down strums per bar of each chord. So just just four of A, then four of D, then four of E, and keep it to the beat. I'm not sure if you're just using the Justin App or you're going through the lessons on his site, but here's an explanation of what I mean with 4 down strums per bar from Justin's lesson site.
https://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-116-Basic44time.php

Here's the drumbeat I use for my practice. There are about 50 million of these on youtube but I like this channel because each one is 5 minutes which is a good practice chunk, and because he goes up in 5bpm intervals.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSbMKKNasb0

Doing this will feel enough like playing a song to feel good for now, I think. Doing this sort of thing makes up most of my practice time actually - I just do different chord progressions and Justin's intermediate strum patterns. (I'm just about exactly one year into playing, mostly using Justin's courses as my guide, for reference).

Edit: Actually, this little exercise with just 4 strums and those three chords is really super close to just being Three Little Birds by Bob Marley.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 14, 2018

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lumpy posted:

They are the same chord with the fixed fingering there). One has two 3rds one 5ht, the other one has two 5ths one 3rd, but both are "real" G major chords. Now learn the cheater G5 fingering of 3x0033 and get lazy!

Tune to open G, shoot some heroin and be Keef.

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010

Alfalfa posted:

Justin Guitar is great for chords I'm learning (only 3 weeks in), but it gets so boring so fast mostly because I can still barely do the A - D change at 25bpm and A - E less than that.

I went and picked up Hal Leonard Guitar Method...

My experience is almost identical, except after I got bored strumming chords (badly) I went with the Mel Bay Modern Guitar Method series. It's been both fun and frustrating.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/music-business/article/20992105/gibson-running-out-of-time-rapidly

quote:

But the situation facing the iconic Nashville-based music instrument maker, which has annual revenues of more than $1 billion, is far from normal: CFO Bill Lawrence recently left the company after less than a year on the job and just six months before $375 million of senior secured notes will mature. On top of that, another $145 million in bank loans will come due immediately if those notes, issued in 2013, are not refinanced by July 23.

Less than six months out from those crucial deadlines, the prospects for an orderly refinancing — Gibson has hired investment bank Jefferies to help with that — look slim, observers say. And the alternative scenarios look likely to sideline longtime owner and CEO Henry Juszkiewicz.

“At the end of the day, someone will take control of this company — be it the debtors or the bondholders,” Debtwire reporter Reshmi Basu told the Post this week. “This has been a long time coming.”

Basu said some bondholders have complained about a lack of clarity from Gibson — a situation that has not improved by the arrival of GSO Capital Partners, a unit of private equity giant Blackstone that about a year ago extended Gibson a lifeline via $130 million in loans. Basu told the Post GSO’s arrival on the scene has unsettled some bondholders, who have organized and hired financial and legal advisors to protect their interests.

Kevin Cassidy, a senior credit officer at Moody’s Investors Service, says Juszkiewicz essentially has just three options: He and his team could negotiate an exchange of their debt coming due for new notes, which may not be feasible at a reasonable price. He also could be persuaded — or forced — to give up some of his equity in exchange for the debt payments. Or he may end up taking one of the most globally recognized brands that calls Nashville home to bankruptcy court.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Liquidate me a CS gibson for 300 dollars

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

So what's the best case scenario here? All the brands sold to Yamaha?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Anyone have experience with VM jazzmasters? I picked up this store front model for less and the bridge buzz is like a wild stallion. I put a bunch of locktite in the saddle screws, but I’m still getting a huge lack of sustain on my high E, especially when I’m fretting high and bending.

Pic

Really don’t want to get a mastery bridge if I can’t help it; maybe the screw at the bridge post is loose? I’m aware that the ‘vintage’ specs include a small radius so theoretically bends will be scratchier anyway, but even just holding the 21 fret is really buzzy.

its curtains for Kevin fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Feb 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
I still haven't come to grips with the bridge on mine since it just seems to undo the adjustments I make after a while, but I've found 2 things that work okay for a while:

1. Shimming the neck so you can raise the bridge higher, which also increases the break angle/force of the strings over the bridge.

2. Despite all the funky grooves in the saddles, I find the strings have a preferred position sustain wise - move your 'e' around and see how it sounds in various spots.