Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
This is gonna be fun :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

In hindsight that poo poo with Bishop was pretty clearly some mud slinging from someone within National who knew blinglish was going to go. Bish is really well positioned to get deputy and then to take over as leader when they inevitably lose the next election

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

bike tory posted:

when they inevitably lose the next election

Don't fuckin jinx it

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Let the psychotic infighting commence

It has been going on for a while, now it should spill out in to the streets.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Good, gently caress off Bill you prick.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

So much for that whole "strongest Opposition party that Parliament has seen" thing, eh Bill?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Really surprised that National failed to deliver on another of its promises.

Mister Panos
Jan 26, 2011

Bye Bye Bill :parrot:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Rahul posted:

So much for that whole "strongest Opposition party that Parliament has seen" thing, eh Bill?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

https://twitter.com/radionz/status/963181002381078528?ref_src=twcamp%5Ecopy%7Ctwsrc%5Eandroid%7Ctwgr%5Ecopy%7Ctwcon%5E7090%7Ctwterm%5E2

"I'm not owned! I'm not owned!"

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
he said he was proud of his terrible stint as health minister in the 90s lol

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Varkk posted:

It has been going on for a while, now it should spill out in to the streets.
Lol at the idea a National politician would walk anywhere on a public street.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Lol at the idea a National politician would walk anywhere on a public street.

I see Steven Joyce all the time

Resisting the urge to shove him into traffic is hard sometimes

A friend told me an amusing anecdote about meeting JK on a plane recently, she pretended not to know who he was and asked if he came to Wellington often, he said "it's my first time here actually"

The point of this story is more evidence key's a pathological liar

El Pollo Blanco fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 13, 2018

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
they're all way shorter than you think. winston is tiny!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

exmarx posted:

he said he was proud of his terrible stint as health minister in the 90s lol

His social investment baby is actually not a terrible idea, and I'm glad the SIA didn't get shitcanned.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

bike tory posted:

In hindsight that poo poo with Bishop was pretty clearly some mud slinging from someone within National who knew blinglish was going to go. Bish is really well positioned to get deputy and then to take over as leader when they inevitably lose the next election

You're dead right, but to be fair it was extremely obvious on the day the story broke too; even Hooton was screaming about it on Kiwiblog.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

sebmojo posted:

His social investment baby is actually not a terrible idea, and I'm glad the SIA didn't get shitcanned.
You mean the scheme founded on all of the bad principles used to put extra police into black neighbourhoods under the self-fulfilling prediction that more black people will commit crimes; which has seen a huge growth in criticism in the last couple of years for entrenching the very legal and social issues that it is supposedly designed to detect and ostensibly address?

That one that was designed around allowing the same social services that accidentally forward excel spreadsheets of privileged client information to journalists or (allegedly) MPs full access to every single government funded service you have ever accessed so that it can do more 'big picture' analysis like perhaps emailing your abuser what shelter you're in? The one that's currently illegal under the Privacy Act?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

sebmojo posted:

the idea of early intervention saving $$$ down the track is both good and incredibly obvious. social investment under national was basically a voucherisation of the welfare state, with choices made through big data that's supported by a dubious level of context.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
also i heard a rumour it was actually paula's thing originally 👀

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ghostlight posted:

You mean the scheme founded on all of the bad principles used to put extra police into black neighbourhoods under the self-fulfilling prediction that more black people will commit crimes; which has seen a huge growth in criticism in the last couple of years for entrenching the very legal and social issues that it is supposedly designed to detect and ostensibly address?

That one that was designed around allowing the same social services that accidentally forward excel spreadsheets of privileged client information to journalists or (allegedly) MPs full access to every single government funded service you have ever accessed so that it can do more 'big picture' analysis like perhaps emailing your abuser what shelter you're in? The one that's currently illegal under the Privacy Act?

I worked for the Privacy Commissioner for 16 years, my area of responsibility was information sharing law reform and social investment, and I co wrote the report on ICLD that got the MSD programme shut down, so yes. That is what I mean.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Social investment is just using data to see what works, and there are non invasive ways to do that, eg the idi.

The social investment agency is doing good work, and worked very closely with opc to get a privacy friendly solution to social investment.

As evidence, they've convinced carmel sepuloni that they should keep going, with a shift in focus away from a strictly monetary understanding of investment.

What happened with msd was ministerial bullying, if you read the report they could easily have done what they wanted to do in a privacy protective way.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I don't doubt that there are privacy-friendly solutions, but the National social investment programme was started with the explicit purpose of using that information on a much more targeted level than would be available through anonymised sharing between agencies. That's why the MSD thought they should be getting that information in the first place - because it would allow them to tie use of those services by individuals to others to determine 'risk factors' for their children, relatives, etc. It wasn't about improving the deployment of, say, benefits by using benefit-related big data - it was about glomping benefit-related data into offense-related data and schooling-related data for targeted 'interventions' for children that data determined would become a future burden on society.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

exmarx posted:

also i heard a rumour it was actually paula's thing originally 👀

I was going to say, if it benefits the little man then how are we sure he actually had anything to do with it?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ghostlight posted:

I don't doubt that there are privacy-friendly solutions, but the National social investment programme was started with the explicit purpose of using that information on a much more targeted level than would be available through anonymised sharing between agencies. That's why the MSD thought they should be getting that information in the first place - because it would allow them to tie use of those services by individuals to others to determine 'risk factors' for their children, relatives, etc. It wasn't about improving the deployment of, say, benefits by using benefit-related big data - it was about glomping benefit-related data into offense-related data and schooling-related data for targeted 'interventions' for children that data determined would become a future burden on society.

Yeah that's fair, and we found it creepy and concerning at the time. But when you're getting astonishing data driven conclusions like uneducated solo mum plus dad in jail plus on a benefit equals toddler more likely to be at risk, it's obvious enough that calling it Orwellian seems melodramatic.

I agree tha a legally mandated single big pool of government data (which they were pushing, and we put a lot of effort into killing) would have been extremely bad. But with that off the table, the idea of using data to spend money where it's needed is fine.

That was an entertaining couple of years.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Makes sense to me. Proper investment requires good research, and good research requires a sizable amount of standardised data.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Just to remind everyone enjoying Bill English’s retirement that Maureen Pugh is next on the list.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/80884541/national-mp-maureen-pugh-doesnt-believe-in-pharmaceutical-drugs

Obviously being National she is bad, but she is a special case of bad. Also the article fails to mention her time as Mayor of Hokitika saw the council take on a huge amount of debt to pay for her and her friends to go on junkets.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Varkk posted:

Just to remind everyone enjoying Bill English’s retirement that Maureen Pugh is next on the list.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/80884541/national-mp-maureen-pugh-doesnt-believe-in-pharmaceutical-drugs

Obviously being National she is bad, but she is a special case of bad. Also the article fails to mention her time as Mayor of Hokitika saw the council take on a huge amount of debt to pay for her and her friends to go on junkets.

Hey

At least she wasn't taking money directly from the Chinese government for it

a step above most high ranking national members

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
The likes of Nick Smith, David Carter, maybe Brownlee and Joyce, are also gonna go this term. The fourth guy on the list outside of parliament is a hardcore conservative catholic: https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/95869217/abortion-goes-against-his-conscience-says-nationals-new-lynn-candidate

also i'm team judith 100%

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

sebmojo posted:

Yeah that's fair, and we found it creepy and concerning at the time. But when you're getting astonishing data driven conclusions like uneducated solo mum plus dad in jail plus on a benefit equals toddler more likely to be at risk, it's obvious enough that calling it Orwellian seems melodramatic.
A lot of the issues they've seen in the US in similar schemes is when you identify a child as 'at risk' and every government worker coming into contact with them throughout their life has the computer ping up as "statistically a thief" then they are treated like a thief seeing fewer opportunities and being more closely scrutinised until the prediction is eventually fulfilled.

It's especially bad when your goal isn't to see fewer uneducated mothers or fewer fathers in jail, but simply to identify where you could save money on social services by, for example, railroading children into privately-run reform schools in the name of future crimes.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ghostlight posted:

A lot of the issues they've seen in the US in similar schemes is when you identify a child as 'at risk' and every government worker coming into contact with them throughout their life has the computer ping up as "statistically a thief" then they are treated like a thief seeing fewer opportunities and being more closely scrutinised until the prediction is eventually fulfilled.

It's especially bad when your goal isn't to see fewer uneducated mothers or fewer fathers in jail, but simply to identify where you could save money on social services by, for example, railroading children into privately-run reform schools in the name of future crimes.

That's the sort of thing that we were fighting against, having a poverty popup that follows you through your life.

On reflection, i'm not sure we disagree that much - social investment is the core of a good idea with a bunch of terrible potential outcomes. I feel good about the work we did helping avert the worst aspects of it, and the scheme may have dodged a bullet with National getting kicked out.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The idea of identifying "at risk" kids so that you can make "efficient social investments" is penny pinching neoliberal bullshit

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Probably not. I don't disagree with the idea of social investment, just with National getting credit for its introduction when it was only as phase one in their planned social welfare apocalypse rather than for the idea itself.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Social investments needs to target communities and social spaces rather than trying to individualise all social ills and reduce them to the simple product of a handful of discrete, identifiable contributing factors.

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 13, 2018

Murrah
Mar 22, 2015

as a Green Party Member I ranked Marama highly when she entered the list in 14' but I support Julie Anne Genter for co-leader for a buncha good reasons and dumb ones like I've met her and she is the best American New Zealander we could hope for in terms of fighting the old stereotype of Americans as only wanting to 'take something' while in NZ

also yes LOL at Crusher potentially leading

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

No please vote Marama Davidson for green coleader, she is exactly what the Greens need, and also complements James Shaw perfectly. Julie Anne Genter hits the exact same demographic appeal as James Shaw.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Hooton, Slater etc all support JAG.

She's a cool lady and I like her but that support should worry you. Right-wing pundits do not have the best intentions of the Greens at heart.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

COME ON CRUSHER make my dreams come true :allears:

Murrah
Mar 22, 2015

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Hooton, Slater etc all support JAG.

She's a cool lady and I like her but that support should worry you. Right-wing pundits do not have the best intentions of the Greens at heart.

I guess you have a point.

Man I hadn't thought about Slater for what seems like years until reading your post just now. Im glad at how much that guy has dropped off the radar. But with a Collins run hmmm

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Based current mood amongst the Greenies I know (and the party is almost certainly aware if this), anybody except Marama would be suicide. Julie-Anne's people prefer her but will support the party with Marama at the helm. Marama's supporters will fuckin walk if Julie-Anne is at the helm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

lmbo, nice legacy English

quote:

Economist Shamubeel Eaqub has hit out at the Labour Government's fiscal responsibility rules, saying it was acting as a "straitjacket" on it and debt could be used to reform the housing market.

Eaqub said investment was needed in infrastructure and housing such as the KiwiBuild programme yet the Government was restricted because of the fiscal responsibility rules.

He said the infrastructure issue could be resolved by "borrowing s***loads of money" and only a "fiscal idiot" would not have been borrowing money in the current climate or over the past decade.

• Locked thread