Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
23, 9000/Month, 1099. Need budgeting advice.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/48s4at/23_9000month_1099_need_budgeting_advice/ posted:

Hey Reddit!

First post here, thanks for having me. I got a new job in November, and make $50 an hour full time in IT. I am 1099'd, so I pay/take out my own taxes. Since I got my job in November, I pretty much have blown through my paychecks partying and turning up. Seriously, I'm dumb. I live with my parents, only pay my cellphone bill. Literally, my cell phone bill is my only scheduled expense. Would like some advice on saving. Looking to put about 4 or 5k down on a car pretty soon, planning on financing a used car around $10K. I have no credit, so my score is around 500.

quote:

[–][deleted] 57 points 1 year ago

How on earth do you spend nine grand a month? What drugs are you into? If you're addicted to something you should look into a rehab service.

edit: Also, if you're buying things for your friends or other people, you need to stop.

[–]312ak [S] -25 points 1 year ago

I'm addicted to going out and clubbing. Seriously.

quote:

[–]billthecatt 16 points 1 year ago

Since you're 1099, you're eligible for a Personal 401k. At $50/hour, you could save up to $36k or so for your future retirement per year.

How much are you taking out for taxes? Are you paying quarterly?

Why finance the car, instead of just buying it? At your credit score, it won't be cheap.

[–]312ak [S] -16 points 1 year ago

I really don't want to blow away 2 months of income on a car. I rather pay slowly then all at once. Bad idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Wouldn't insurance cover something like a home invasion/robbery situation?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Haifisch posted:

Lol dude is paying $2k for $40 vodka bottle service.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You veered pretty far, in case you were wondering.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Panfilo posted:

Yeah, also the home invasion somehow left them “without a vehicle” which means either they didn’t have car insurance (BWM/BWL/probably Bad With Law in CA) or they didn’t want to report the theft for some reason.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Subjunctive posted:

You veered pretty far, in case you were wondering.

Yeah I know. I feel kinda bad suggesting it, so it’s not a hill I’m going to die on to defend.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Panfilo posted:

Yeah, and homeowners insurance is usually required on a mortgage.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Homeowner's insurance wouldn't cover a stolen car, the comprehensive policy on the automobile would. A lot of people (including me) don't bother to carry collision/comprehensive car insurance. Please don't steal my car.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Either there is more to the story or the guy used it to justify his own desire to shut down his businesses and move to one of the highest COL areas in the country. The situation is of his own making either way. I am 100% comfortable saying his present state of affairs is his own fault.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Droo posted:

Homeowner's insurance wouldn't cover a stolen car, the comprehensive policy on the automobile would. A lot of people (including me) don't bother to carry collision/comprehensive car insurance. Please don't steal my car.

Not carrying collision/comprehensive insurance when you can’t afford to replace your car if it’s stolen or damaged in an accident that’s your fault is extremely BWM. As this guy might have learned (and hopefully you won’t).

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Haifisch posted:

SlowMo 2.0 posted:

Guys I make 9,000 a month but I never have any money left over, somene good with the economy help me.
Budget:
Cell Phone: $100/mo
Clubbing: $8,900/mo

quote:

Stop clubbing

SlowMo 2.0 posted:

no

On the plus side, he's young and could easily change a few habits and be fine.

On the other, he could get an SA account and be another great entertaining read.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

cowofwar posted:

Lol dude is paying $2k for $40 vodka bottle service.

I guess SloMo gave up on the finance industry?

E: gently caress, beat me to it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
He grew up homeless and has no family except for his wife and kids. Even if he was doing well, his instinctive reaction is going to be impulsive because calm measured decisions weren't really a thing he saw as a child.

It sucks because it's like every bad decision he's making is coming at him in slow motion, but he can't avoid it. 6 people in a loving SUV and one of them is a 3 year old? WTF.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
This guy eBay hustles, right? That's how he was making how income before?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Drunk Tomato posted:

This guy eBay hustles, right? That's how he was making how income before?

I'm just picturing the bald dude with sun glasses from Storage Wars

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Higgy posted:

On the plus side, he's young and could easily change a few habits and be fine.

On the other, he could get an SA account and be another great entertaining read.

He’s gonna get hosed by taxes.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

What are "taxes"

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

oooh birthday flowers

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
drat that is so hosed up why did I go to medical school when I could have gone to Arbonne NVP school

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

What's a Mercedes Benz cash bonus? I just picture coupons for your local Mercedes dealer.

darkspider42
Oct 7, 2004

Best Buy security. You'll have to come with me sir.
why can't they afford a higher res image?

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Youth Decay posted:

oooh birthday flowers

My favorite part is how nothing in this picture is technically false in regards to the actual article. There is a link to a real article and it does state a couple things from the real list.

I'll let ya'll guess what isn't actually on the list.

the doctor, buy some poo poo from me now

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

He grew up homeless and has no family except for his wife and kids. Even if he was doing well, his instinctive reaction is going to be impulsive because calm measured decisions weren't really a thing he saw as a child.

It sucks because it's like every bad decision he's making is coming at him in slow motion, but he can't avoid it. 6 people in a loving SUV and one of them is a 3 year old? WTF.

It's crazy how his schemes just leap from extreme to extreme. His heart is in the right place but he's totally flailing around. This is some Homer Simpson level planning.

"Hmm, I want to keep my family together... Maybe if we all drive into Mexico! and then we're still homesless but left with no working car, no income, and no prospects of any kind?"
(at least even he rejected this idea as unsound)

"I need a place to live... so I need some kind of huge car to live in! All six of us will live in the car and then once I've saved some money... I'll buy a second car to increase my homeless earning potential via uber and scrounging up poo poo more efficiently!"

He's also so fixated on gas mileage when that should be like #753 on his list of urgent needs.

Also curious about his mysterious references to beimg "given an unlawful detainer."

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009

Thesaurus posted:

Also curious about his mysterious references to beimg "given an unlawful detainer."

Unlawful detainer is what an eviction is called in California. :eng101:

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

ohgodwhat posted:

What's a Mercedes Benz cash bonus? I just picture coupons for your local Mercedes dealer.

Some MLMs will pay you a fixed amount each month if you show proof of purchase or lease of a certain brand of luxury car and are in the "Ultra Diamond" tier that 0.1% of people get to. Of course, I doubt Mercedes or BMW will extend credit to someone whose primary income is a MLM, and if you happen to drop below the required tier level you are still responsible for the payments.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Konstantin posted:

Some MLMs will pay you a fixed amount each month if you show proof of purchase or lease of a certain brand of luxury car and are in the "Ultra Diamond" tier that 0.1% of people get to. Of course, I doubt Mercedes or BMW will extend credit to someone whose primary income is a MLM, and if you happen to drop below the required tier level you are still responsible for the payments.

Do you think people making an average of $21k per month really need to finance a car? They buy birthday flowers, baby - they're Diamond™

Thesaurus posted:

"I need a place to live... so I need some kind of huge car to live in! All six of us will live in the car and then once I've saved some money... I'll buy a second car to increase my homeless earning potential via uber and scrounging up poo poo more efficiently!"

"Junior's getting bigger, time for a 3rd car! We've arrived, we're car rich now, honey!"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
do you think those people are financing cars and not leasing them

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

do you think those people are financing cars and not leasing them

That's just called making your money work for you buddy

Edit: to be fair there are some seriously perverse incentives for small business owners to lease cars in the United States tax code

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
WTF does Arbonne even sell? I've never heard of them so I went to their page and of course they're deliberately vague about any actual products.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Dreams, probably.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Phanatic posted:

WTF does Arbonne even sell? I've never heard of them so I went to their page and of course they're deliberately vague about any actual products.
Near as I can tell it's generic beauty products, aka "90% of MLMs targeted towards women." (The other 10% is poo poo like LuLaRoe)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Couple sells everything to sail the world, boat sinks on day 2

http://www.wyff4.com/article/couple-sells-everything-to-sail-the-world-boat-sinks-on-day-2/17019084

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

the punchline posted:

"I'm not going to give up now," Broadwell told the Tampa Bay Times. "I'm going to get another boat down the road."

We'll see how that goes for them since they have no jobs or savings now.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Did we ever find out how they planned to buy food and water for their never ending sailboat trip around the world with no savings or jobs? Charge people to take pictures with their pug?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
This is some of the worst BWM I've ever seen. Aspiring rapper Unkle Adams, $164,000 in debt pledges goal of growing from 18,000 monthly spotify listens to 1 million monthly listens. 4 months later, he's sold his car and his house, and is now over $200,000 in debt with little to show for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbpJtarSPpo

The most frustrating part is he is wasting thousands of dollars on professional music video shoots and studio time. It's 2018, you can become a successful rapper with a computer mic and a pirated copy of Ableton. I mean, having talent helps, but unfortunately Unk is a little lacking in that department.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Haifisch posted:

We'll see how that goes for them since they have no jobs or savings now.
Also they're supposed to go in the sea. Would make it harder to sink though.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Did we ever find out how they planned to buy food and water for their never ending sailboat trip around the world with no savings or jobs? Charge people to take pictures with their pug?

Uh, I think that you will find that the ocean is made of water, you just drop a bucket over the side.

It's also full of things you can eat!

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I went fishing and all I caught was a boot and six pack rings

Can I eat those?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

If the boot was leather, sure. If it was rubber, probably not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Ashcans posted:

Uh, I think that you will find that the ocean is made of water, you just drop a bucket over the side.

It's also full of things you can eat!

Use the pug as bait.

You just need to pull him up right at the last minute and the barracuda lands in your boat and then you put on the tarter sauce.