Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

ate all the Oreos posted:

it already is, i guarantee this was sold as "but now you can have a button on your website that does it!!!" to people who don't know that everything already has TTS

oh totally. theres already nvda for a free option if users want something more robust so theres no need for any js nonsense, but i bet someone somewhere heard wcag aa and mashed then buy button on this thing frantically and wiped their forehead and called it a day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Occasionally I support a blind user over the phone. I can hear his screen reader. Holy poo poo.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Occasionally I support a blind user over the phone. I can hear his screen reader. Holy poo poo.
it's playing back at 4x speed right?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Avenging_Mikon posted:

yeah a place i used to work at had loads of blind users because they still did terminal accounts, supporting them was always trippy

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

it's playing back at 4x speed right?

Possibly 8x.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Jabor posted:

let me introduce you to this magical thing called aria

i repeat the words "universally accepted standard" - i mean i have not been an active web developer for some years now but when i was, i never heard the words "the website should be accessible" uttered by anyone ever

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Penisface posted:

i repeat the words "universally accepted standard" - i mean i have not been an active web developer for some years now but when i was, i never heard the words "the website should be accessible" uttered by anyone ever

it's built in to most babby's first wordpress template and other starter pack things and a lot of tutorials encourage it so i'd say it's pretty well accepted, it's just disabled people are not a worthwhile market for fart apps

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Penisface posted:

you'll hear it spoken a lot by companies big enough to be worth suing under the ada

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ate all the Oreos posted:

it's built in to most babby's first wordpress template and other starter pack things and a lot of tutorials encourage it so i'd say it's pretty well accepted, it's just disabled people are not a worthwhile market for fart apps

asterisk fartzee tilde tilde tilde asterisk

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

yeah that's pretty normal once they've gotten used to their voice of choice

Penisface posted:

i have, however in fairness the guy was teaching web standards and was blind

i've yet to see those standards used elsewhere though

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

In the EU there are certain accessibility standards for government websites such as that videos must always have subtitles available. Idk if this also means that the website has to provide screen reader functionality for the visually impaired because they often have such software installed anyway but I do believe the page needs to be suitable for screen readers by having proper alt tags on images etc.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

spankmeister posted:

In the EU there are certain accessibility standards for government websites such as that videos must always have subtitles available. Idk if this also means that the website has to provide screen reader functionality for the visually impaired because they often have such software installed anyway but I do believe the page needs to be suitable for screen readers by having proper alt tags on images etc.

this is actually something i've been wondering for a while; how are screenreaders coping with the web of today? anyone have any experience?

my feeling back in the pre-2.0 days was that the good ones were more heuristics and best-effort rather than the supposed accessibility aspects of web standards for the most part working, but that must have gotten all the harder now that everything shows up in a magic swirl of javascript

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

this is actually something i've been wondering for a while; how are screenreaders coping with the web of today? anyone have any experience?

my feeling back in the pre-2.0 days was that the good ones were more heuristics and best-effort rather than the supposed accessibility aspects of web standards for the most part working, but that must have gotten all the harder now that everything shows up in a magic swirl of javascript

we had to do a ton of validation to make us 508 compliant, which is a US gov thing for the disabled.

basically they had a testing team verify the site is usable with a screen reader. it means you have to do poo poo right-ish and not rely on the clusterfuck of js.

because of this, we also have a piece of software that is designed to be used by the driver of a car, and it had to be usable by a blind person :v:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

they read the DOM, not the HTML source. it doesn’t matter how the structure comes to be

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

spankmeister posted:

yeah, my experience is also mostly from the EU and it's essentially that government websites and big companies usually have an accessible web site; in japan you even see options to switch font sizes on websites

for everyone else it seems to be a puny fart of an afterthought as the captains of industry keep furiously re-implementing everything in javascript

i was kind of hoping/guessing that there would be a industry standard of tagging the "content" part of a website so that a bog standard screen reader does not have to machine learn or whatever to get to what it needs to render as audio

having to rely on a javascript screen reader is pants on fire retarded, how has it come to this

there is probably a defcon type talk about the state of online accessibility, right?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

basically they had a testing team verify the site is usable with a screen reader. it means you have to do poo poo right-ish and not rely on the clusterfuck of js.

you can use JS with screen readers. that’s why all the a11y interfaces to browsers exist. lots of people use gmail with screen readers, and Facebook, and Twitter

what problems did you have when you used JS? could you not dynamically apply the aria labels?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

they read the DOM, not the HTML source. it doesn’t matter how the structure comes to be

i don't think that is necessarily sufficient to make sense of the page though, as you'd need to figure out what modifications are part of interacting with the page and what is just stuff getting populated without any additional meaning. even taking javascript aside the visual layout is a lot less connected to the ordering of the dom these days, so it seems hard to ferret out what is important without good hints or some deep gazing at how it ends up presented

i mean to except stuff where a lot of very heavy work is done to ensure accessibility, but back in the web 1.0 days blind classmates were able to surf the web quite quickly and effectively, and i do wonder whether that is still true (either through things not being as complicated as they seem, or by websites being responsible on that front to a greater extent than i'd expect, or by screen readers being rather deep pieces of technology)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

i don't think that is necessarily sufficient to make sense of the page though

ok

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

just my thinking, if you do use screen readers and say it works fine then great. nothing much to really *argue* about (and not the thread for it), just wondering what the user experience actually pans out as

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

coping far better than the days of flash-only sites, but a lot more intrusive dynamic content. only tangentially aware though

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

just my thinking, if you do use screen readers and say it works fine then great. nothing much to really *argue* about (and not the thread for it), just wondering what the user experience actually pans out as

It works. gently caress if I know how.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

This looks fun: https://krausefx.com/blog/mac-privacy-sandboxed-mac-apps-can-take-screenshots

quote:

Any Mac app, sandboxed or not sandboxed can:

Take screenshots of your Mac silently without you knowning
Access every pixel, even if the Mac app is in the background
Use basic OCR software to read the text on the screen
Access all connected monitors

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Subjunctive posted:

you can use JS with screen readers. that’s why all the a11y interfaces to browsers exist. lots of people use gmail with screen readers, and Facebook, and Twitter

what problems did you have when you used JS? could you not dynamically apply the aria labels?

its not problems per-se, its just that you cant do a lot of js fuckery in the layout, because it needs to be easily navigated without loading a ton of bullshit in. its a lot easier to design things statically instead of "lol spa"

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
accessibility is distinct from security and we can chat over fhere: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3849027

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
cybercoin chat from two right-wing fringe websites but lol @ cybercoins

https://twitter.com/bascule/status/962740918053888000

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Cocoa Crispies posted:

cybercoin chat from two right-wing fringe websites but lol @ cybercoins

https://twitter.com/bascule/status/962740918053888000

LOL

quote:

How many people did this? Who knows.

Also, do NOT follow that link. Made my brain all hurty reading that poo poo.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Proteus Jones posted:

LOL

Also, do NOT follow that link. Made my brain all hurty reading that poo poo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOqb_UzJSUQ&hd=1

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Krankenstyle posted:

asterisk fartzee tilde tilde tilde asterisk

do not post my children's names on the internet tyvm

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
hacked in the butt by a mystery cyber athlete

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
EDIT nvm I saw the post about the other thread for accessibility

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

is anyone going to RSA2018 or is it worth going at all?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

geonetix posted:

only if you can mass-goatse the con

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

geonetix posted:

Wait 30 years.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

is there ANYTHING good around tho

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

geonetix posted:

I wouldn’t even go with customer money, it’s 100% a CTO conference, and too big to be cool

Jewel
May 2, 2009

buttcoin as a service

https://twitter.com/JamesHitchcock/status/963084258708480001

https://twitter.com/JamesHitchcock/status/963085244411924481

Jewel fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Feb 13, 2018

bicycle
Oct 23, 2013

FAQ posted:

why are my fans turning on?

lmao

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

At least their asking to use your PC to mine buttcoin now. :allears:

Jewel
May 2, 2009

two for one malware as a service day buy one get one free

https://twitter.com/manfightdragon/status/963284621914865664

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

ahaha holy poo poo. surely that violates the apple store tos or something?

• Locked thread