Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Completely unrelated to kingdom hearts talk, now that I've read enough feedback on dead men tell no tales to see that it's a very rng-based forgettable experience with players not having much of a chance to win, I was relieved because it meant I wouldn't feel bad about not being able to nab the $109 tier with the miniatures, base game, and expansion.

Then I was checking my messages on kickstarter to see if this one person got back to me or not and I forgot about this other message I'd sent a while back for this game.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/level99games/exceed-season-2-a-dueling-card-game

I have one of the season 1 boxes and it is a pretty fun game. $100 for all 4 boxes plus a playing mat and 5 extra playable characters (as well as some other random extras like an art book I think?? but the 5 extra characters in a card game versus fighter where each box has 4 characters is pretty important imo) so I've effectively replaced wanting a $109 thing with a $100 thing

lmao I am trash. When I get on SSI in however many years from now (and after I use said money to pay bills and cover important expenses), I imagine I'm gonna end up buying a bunch of board game stuffs.

e: wow this is a terrible page snipe. Here, have a pic of a cat.

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Feb 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

i love captain rainbow so much guys

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

I wanna play a fighting game where you play a character whose moveset is "runs you over in a variety of different vehicles" and "turns into demon turbo teen"

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/963271914075467776

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Well, if that actually worked it's already gone.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

cheetah7071 posted:

If you like obscure, charming, Japan-only top-down puzzle games from the 90s, then boy did I just finish the game for you!

It's called Little Magic, for the SNES, and it's real good

This looks great but I don't think I'd have the patience for it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

A Bag of Milk posted:

This looks great but I don't think I'd have the patience for it

Here's a sneak peak of all the answers then!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioxbS4PlXgI&t=147s

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I am 1000000% sure I would like Kingdom Hearts more if the Disney stuff wasn't there and it was all anime melodrama. Everything about Organization 13 and My Sanctuary is catnip to the middle school scene part of my brain, but I just was not a Disney kid

Anyway, I've been playing Final Fantasy X more after posting about it earlier, and man I really like this game a lot. I feel like time has been kinder to it cause I remember closer to release, almost no one had anything good to say about it. But I honestly really enjoy this consistent world and there's really strong character foundation as I get into the midgame. I think Tidus is a really good protagonist that is still a dumb meathead, and that his "obnoxious whining" is him being open about his emotional baggage and his understandable fear in this new situation, but drat the kid tries and his relationships with everyone feels meaningful.

The Sphere Grid is kind of mindless, but I really appreciate a simple character progression system where I can just press buttons in a menu every thirty minutes and feel my guys getting incrementally stronger. The only thing I'm not into is the goofy rear end costume designs and the voice acting and direction kinda taking the wind out of some scenes.

i love jrgs

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

glam rock hamhock posted:

Well, if that actually worked it's already gone.
There's actual multiple kinds of those shoes besides the one that is linked.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I just learned that there was a Gameboy Color port of Little Magic with additional expert stages, so I guess I'm not done with charming Japan-only top-down 90s puzzle games just yet

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Oh it just renames the stages from 1-100 to Beginner 1-25 Disciple 1-25 and Master 1-50, I was really hoping the master stages were brand new

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

chumbler posted:

Yeah it owns.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The Colonel posted:

i love captain rainbow so much guys

no joke I appreciate all the weird funny screenshots you post

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Expect My Mom posted:

I am 1000000% sure I would like Kingdom Hearts more if the Disney stuff wasn't there and it was all anime melodrama. Everything about Organization 13 and My Sanctuary is catnip to the middle school scene part of my brain, but I just was not a Disney kid

I mean there's like a hundred Final Fantasies you can play :v:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I really care about Disney stuff that much but it's fun seeing the classic movies in there plus you occasionally get some more out there choices like Tron and Pirates of the Caribbean in 2 and Lilo & Stich in BBS.

Guavatin
Mar 30, 2017

I think my tongues trying to kill me
Monster's inc. sora looks so weird and out of place.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
It would've been neat if monster's inc sora was just the original planned sora design back when he was a lion boy and he wielded a chainsaw

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Looper posted:

no joke I appreciate all the weird funny screenshots you post

i might honestly do an lp when the final patch is out tbh, it's such a goddamn amazing game outside of some of the weirder early stuff with birdo and i'm having a blast playing it and there aren't really any good walkthroughs or english playthroughs

i'm hoping that giftpia will be the same once its patch gets released but i hear it's a lot messier than captain rainbow

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I always get giftpia confused with homeland, the other gamecube game I always wanted to play

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

homeless snail posted:

I always get giftpia confused with homeland, the other gamecube game I always wanted to play

this game sounds insanely badass

but anyway giftopia is more like the alt universe gamecube version of chulip, even made by different people derived from the same company that punchline branched off from

also after looking it up i think you can do the online stuff in homeland on an emulator because it relies on the gamecube to act as the server holy crap

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Feb 13, 2018

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Mordja posted:

Hey chat thread, what's going on with you? Me? I'm just going through my daily routine of thinking about how good Sleeping Dogs was.

I'm writing a program that simulates an excel spreadsheet that calculates how many things you need to build to reach a certain production rate in Factorio. :buddy:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Colonel posted:

this game sounds insanely badass

but anyway giftopia is more like the alt universe gamecube version of chulip, even made by different people derived from the same company that punchline branched off from

also after looking it up i think you can do the online stuff in homeland on an emulator because it relies on the gamecube to act as the server holy crap
yeah they shut down the official servers for it but japanese players discovered a secret option for direct IP connection and have been playing it since.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Does anyone have opinions on the Steam game Salt? It just came out of EA and RPS says it's good but I've been burned on these kinds of games before (some I really like though).

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I missed Sleeping Dogs chat but I wanted to post the execution animations because drat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pKgdjvS19U

Impaling a thug by throwing him onto a rack of severed swordfish heads was my favorite.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Feb 13, 2018

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Macaluso posted:

I mean there's like a hundred Final Fantasies you can play :v:
You're not wrong but...its just not the same. Kingdom Hearts' presentation feels so much out of a goth/scene kids notebook in ninth grade even in 2018, where a pink haired femboy comes out of a vortex and says "Oshisashibur" and then new goth-er Riku stabs his key sword into a beach, muttering cryptically about his Other Self

It takes all this bullshit so seriously where Final Fantasy doesn't always, and is proudly on its bullshit

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Expect My Mom posted:

You're not wrong but...its just not the same. Kingdom Hearts' presentation feels so much out of a goth/scene kids notebook in ninth grade even in 2018, where a pink haired femboy comes out of a vortex and says "Oshisashibur" and then new goth-er Riku stabs his key sword into a beach, muttering cryptically about his Other Self

It takes all this bullshit so seriously where Final Fantasy doesn't always, and is proudly on its bullshit

I only played through KH1 but when I see story cutscenes from 2 and later game I think of how grimdark the series seems to have gotten from starting on an idyllic island with your friends and gaining powers on stained glass pictures of Disney princesses. And yeah, maybe that's the theme or the point but it all seems a little over the top. One minute two chipmunks are helping me build a Gummi Ship and the next a shadowy council of Names Incorporating The Least Often Used Letters is doing... something sinister, I'm sure.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's not grimdark at all though, there's shadowy organisations and serious stuff and then Sora beats them all into submission with the power of friendship and no one ever really dies and KH3 is gonna be about saving all the people that aren't dead but are stuck somewhere else.

The bit in KH2 where everyone gets upset because they think a rock has killed Goofy but then ten minutes later he comes back and is like 'I get hit by lots of stuff and it never bothered me why did you think this would be different?' pretty much sums up the whole series.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Kingdom Hearts is about as grimdark as the Mortal Kombat animated series.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I just found out that a friend who got a Creative Writing degree with me worked on Horizon Zero Dawn.

Time to evaluate my life choices.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I just don't like how nomura can't ever leave well enough alone and just has to dip into and give everything the most complex, convoluted background possible. It makes understanding what's going on really annoying because there's all this other poo poo you need to know and the story itself isn't even that great, it's just overly complex without needing to be and it builds up all these conflicts but then they're just kinda over like "yeah ok they're done now bye"

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I'm still mad the actually grimdark early vision for Epic Mickey didn't see the light of day.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Eh, there enough grimdark poo poo already without trying to turn Disney properties into something they're not.
I would have liked Epic Mickey to be good though.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

LawfulWaffle posted:

I just found out that a friend who got a Creative Writing degree with me worked on Horizon Zero Dawn.

clearly you need to write more about chicks with kickass archery skills

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Seriously, is there any other video game series that would require as many footnotes to explain the plot as kingdom hearts? Metal gear is the only other one that comes to mind. With kingdom hearts, if someone who doesn't know what the games are about asks about the story then you're gonna be stuck having to explain all of these different concepts. It's almost never anything simple like "sora wields the special legendary weapon known as the keyblade because of willpower and friendship," instead it's gotta be like "sora wields the keyblade because his heart naturally reached out and healed the broken and dying heart of another person who was trained to wield the keyblade so now sora can wield the keyblade thanks to his heart's connection to this other individual who is now chilling inside sora's body and also the keyblade isn't a special unique thing only a few can wield, it's just a weapon that pretty much everybody can get so it isn't even special that sora can wield one"

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I clearly should write more period, but there are so many games to play

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

LawfulWaffle posted:

The noclip interview with John Gonzalez on writing HZD is hella good if you haven’t seen it already btw.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

exquisite tea posted:

Kingdom Hearts is about as grimdark as the Mortal Kombat animated series.

Not sure if KH is too dark or MK is too light now that Scorpion and Sub-Zero politely talk about their differences over tea.

FirstAidKite posted:

I just don't like how nomura can't ever leave well enough alone and just has to dip into and give everything the most complex, convoluted background possible. It makes understanding what's going on really annoying because there's all this other poo poo you need to know and the story itself isn't even that great, it's just overly complex without needing to be and it builds up all these conflicts but then they're just kinda over like "yeah ok they're done now bye"

If I had no accountability from my boss for going behind schedule or making Final Fantasy All The Bravest, then I'd probably think I was some videogame genius too.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Wait, nomura was in charge of all the bravest? lmao, square what the gently caress

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

kingdom hearts has always come across to me as the videogame equivalent of cartoon all-stars to the rescue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

One of my old high school classmates runs Vicarious Visions and was in charge of the Crash Bandicoot remake, but the last week or so he has been working on a Destiny 2 test build so obviously his career has its ups and downs

• Locked thread