Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Daztek posted:

Star Citizen: Not dead, just resting

Paarping for the fjords.

tax

https://i.imgur.com/c3iHdZo.mp4

Slow_Moe fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Feb 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I'm so looking forward to seeing the :reddit: armchair lawyers meltdown once the MtD is thrown out.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
I keep reading MtD as Mountaindew.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Beexoffel posted:

I keep reading MtD as Mountaindew.

it's ok, they might still have a meltdown if that gets thrown out too

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I'm so looking forward to seeing the :reddit: armchair lawyers meltdown once the MtD is thrown out.

They won't meltdown they'll just spin it into "this is good for CIG because" *theorycraft* "and then everyone in the courtroom will stand up and clap when the judge who loves space sends Cryrekt to jail forever"

No matter what happens where will be no backer salt to mine because it's never going to be CIGs fault in their eyes. It's been 0-7 years now depending on who you ask why are people still not getting that?

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Jason Sextro posted:

it's ok, they might still have a meltdown if that gets thrown out too

I think I'll read MtD as meltdown now.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

If it actually happens the meltdowns in this thread will be amazing to.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SelenicMartian posted:

What if SotA refunds Derek without him asking?

The March blog just doesnt sound as cool :(

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

alf_pogs posted:

we all float down here

Like turds in a stream...

DrBall_MD
Oct 11, 2016

quote:

pledge

The word pledge is usually used to denote a binding promise of funds when a task is completed. It's often used for things like sponsored events.

"I pledge to give the named charity $5 if you complete the half-marathon."

In the case of CIG, it is most definitely a purchase - in many cases a pre-order - of digital goods, (or digital bads).

You can't have a 'sale' on 'rewards for pledges'. That's simply insanity.

Star Citizen will trundle on in this manner for another five years in my estimation. It will probably evolve into a glitchy version of second life where Citizens can visit and admire each others "space houses". Some time this year cosmetic items for ship customization will go on sale.

There will never be any gameplay loops which feel meaningful or satisfying.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Fellow kick-started CryEngine game Kingdom Come: Deliverance was released today. It's not as good as backers expected, and it's causing some hilarity as people deal with the reality.

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Charlie Hall I will reveal the identity of the person who owns the Star Citizen promise tracker but only if you do a 50 episode Battlecruiser 3000AD Let's Play with each episode being 30 minutes minimum.

This, unsarcastically. I'd like to see someone tackle an LP of that anyway. I'd never actually seen any of how it was played, so I looked up the most "newbie friendly" FAQ which weighed in at like 400k of text. Reading through that made me want to go relax and enjoy some much more accessible forms of entertainment like X3: Albion Prelude. Or Dwarf Fortress. Or attending law school at Harvard.

Upon looking it up, I realized I'd forgotten that the whole "wildly over-ambitious developer tries to make the perfect space game / development cycle that a kangaroo could be born and die of old age within / years of hype for non-existant product / flight model gets developed late in the dev cycle (and is largely incompatible with the rest of the game) / unplayably buggy and feature-bereft demos and early releases / litigation and strife with basically every party involved / 7-year-long internet flamewars" thing has all happened before.
I mean, I knew it intellectually (goons cut their teeth making fun of game dev calamities) but it didn't really sink in until now.

But the fact that there's a BC3K to LP speaks volumes. What those volumes say, I don't know. But it's probably a lot. Especially if Derek wrote them. :classiclol:

xoFcitcrA fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Feb 13, 2018

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Fellow kick-started CryEngine game Kingdom Come: Deliverance was released today. It's not as good as backers expected, and it's causing some hilarity as people deal with the reality.
:justpost:

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Bayonnefrog posted:

Nice. I made Italian gravy this Sunday as well. Just a tip: you want to use bone-in pork chops always. More flavor. Also: chicken? Blaspheme.

Unlike the bleu cheese in tacos thing. Making sauce with whatever meat you had was indeed a thing.
Dark meat chicken with it's delicious rendered fat and moist flesh are a nice addition.
I would have made some brioche but I couldn't find some flank that wasn't over packaged into family size.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Maybe one day people will learn to stop throwing money at unproven devs with wildly ambitious game pitches.

Who am I kidding?

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

big nipples big life posted:

Maybe one day people will learn to stop throwing money at unproven devs with wildly ambitious game pitches.

Who am I kidding?

and one day game development will be known for ethical business practices, fair pay and reasonable hours

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
https://clips.twitch.tv/AntsyCourteousHerdJebaited

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Stop making me want that game before a sale.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
https://clips.twitch.tv/CleanEasyHedgehogBIRB

:laffo:

https://clips.twitch.tv/CuriousSilkyLemurDerp

Nipplejets are IN!

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
https://clips.twitch.tv/CrowdedDifficultMangetoutPogChamp

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

If the hurdle of "it's a purchase, not a pledge" has already been cleared in the legal system, then there's already (probably, I'm not a lawyer let alone a UK one) plenty of case law about promising X and delivering Y, even in software terms. The more time elapses since people "pledged", the further you get from "what was promised when I spent money on it" vs. "what's being delivered" and the easier it gets to argue that you purchased one thing and got something completely different.

Seriously, I hope nobody considers the definition of a 'pledge' to be somehow sidestepping the law concerning quid pro quo. They literally adhere to everything as though it's a sale of goods, and they aren't creating new law by going 'huhuh, technically we aren't 'selling' anything', because smarter people have attempted this before.

So again, handing over money in the expectation of receiving something is _actual law_, it's just that they've met complaints so far by removing the trading relationship between the two entities ('a refund') and nullifying any complaint up front.

Beet Wagon posted:

Aside from this sounding like Grade A Baghdad Bob-ing, they've got this wrong. They've only ever offered a 14 day no questions asked (but actually we will totally ask you a bunch of questions and basically beg you to stay) policy.

It's a calculation as to whether they can keep your cash or not; the changes at the CFFB actually make it slightly easier for them to keep the cash, but they have to hit some minimum legal requirements like 'showing good faith' vs 'simply running off with the cash'.

I hope someone's keeping track of Derek's standpoints. He's generating quite the wind from the spin.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

SomethingJones posted:

You are making a PLEDGE

Click to confirm your ORDER

Items PURCHASED using store credits

Welcome to Open Development!

Give is our money and go gently caress yourself.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

big nipples big life posted:

I remember when we just threw money at publishers that had unproven devs in wildly ambitious game pitches that had been marketed at us.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

This is amazing.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I just found this.

http://www.cgwmuseum.org/galleries/issues/cgw_149.pdf

Page 34.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

It's nice to know Roberts backed the game.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Looks like a janky, glitchy Mount And Blade. So basically just Mount And Blade?

How many guys can you have fighting at once. That's the real kicker for fantasy sword fighters, I want to be part of the Battle of Agincourt, not go 1-v-1 throughout the world.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

lmao the game over screen appeared before he even got hit

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice

Renegret posted:

lmao the game over screen appeared before he even got hit

The only way to win is not to play.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Nice find.

quote:

Smart did not refer to his online comments of last year at this that all that was keeping the game from shipping was "the manual".

Derek is Chris. Chris is Derek.

To be fair to Derek, that might have been true. I can totally see him having to spend a year working on the manual. At least 20 pages will be about how to open the main menu.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

quote:

The good news is: the team at Warhorse isn’t just an incredible talented group of people… they’re also kindred spirits who are willing to share the work they’ve done! We will be sharing with them the tricks for working with CryEngine we’ve learned over the last 18 months and they will be letting us in on the secrets and the tech behind what they’re doing!

Ok Roberts, whatever you say.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Now you see the real power of the cryengine.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Not dead, just resting. And gently decomposing.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

alphabettitouretti posted:

Nice find.

To be fair to Derek, that might have been true. I can totally see him having to spend a year working on the manual. At least 20 pages will be about how to open the main menu.

They are like two peas in a pod.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Not dead, just resting. And gently decomposing.

:vince:

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

D_Smart posted:

Remember how I have always maintained that Star Citizen ToS will NEVER withstand ANY legal challenge ANYWHERE on Earth? Especially in the EU?

Uh huh, and? Go on . . .

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

http://i.imgur.com/mmW3CM8.gifv

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

alphabettitouretti posted:

Nice find.

I mean, how hard is it to wait two weeks?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

In this thread we tend to call it a fortnight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It just proves once again that CryEngine is impossible to develop for and not get crazy jank even with a competent non-Croberts led team and a limited FPS game scope. In KCD's defense, at kickstarter it was only like $25 so no one dropped thousands on it like on SC. They didn't sell any land, houses, or horse jpegs, and don't have any day-1 DLC sales, lootboxes, or any such nonsense so at least they deserve support as an indie dev trying new stuff. They also built the game on something like $1.5 million which should have been the maximum that Croberts should have gotten for this shitshow.