Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Anyone got recipes using Ancho Reyes Verde? Most of the manufacturer's suggestions are kinda samey: margarita riff, daiquiri riff, gimlet riff, etc. They're good, but I'd like to try it with something beyond lime, sugar, and a base spirit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

goferchan posted:

Bitters are great in sweet drinks, grab some and start throwing them in stuff to see what sticks. Think of them like adding salt to food -- even if you can't taste the bitters themselves in small amount, they'll add extra complexity to a drink and bring out other flavors

Ohhh, I see. Okay, that makes sense. Maybe I'll pick some up next I'm at the store. What kinds are recommended?

Apparently Jaegermeister is considered digestive bitters? Weird.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Pollyanna posted:

Ohhh, I see. Okay, that makes sense. Maybe I'll pick some up next I'm at the store. What kinds are recommended?

Apparently Jaegermeister is considered digestive bitters? Weird.

No home bar is complete without Angostura bitters. It's really the standard of aromatic bitters and is used in tons of cocktails. It adds a complex flavor, almost an incense herbal note, and marries the ingredients to many drinks well. Also, Peychauds is essential to a few classics as well, and has a more sweet licorice flavor. I recommend some orange bitters too, and any brand of those will probably do.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Edit: :argh:

Pollyanna posted:

Start with Angostura aromatic bitters, as that's easily the most frequently called for. Orange bitters (Angostura or Regan's are good bets) also see a lot of use and are a good second pick. Peychaud's bitters is in a lot of classic New Orleans cocktails, if those hold any interest for you. It quickly gets more niche beyond that, but it's fun to play around by swapping out the canonical bitters for something different.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Here's my loadout! I'm new to bitters so don't take this as gospel.

I put them in my recommended order of acquisition for a newbie like me 1 year ago.

Angostura bitters, which is like kleenex in that Angostura is both a style and a brand. I have Fee Brothers brand, but any ango style is a good starter bitters.

Scrappy's has two sampler packs. This one is more interesting than the other. This has lavender, chocolate, cardamom, and grapefruit. This one box covers a lot of styles of cocktails.

Orange bitters (ironic: Angostura brand)

Peychaud's is like Angostura in that it goes in anything, but it's very different. Like in western cooking you use pepper in everything but many cuisines use cumin instead.

Specialty bitters - I got both of these from NOLA and I love them to death. Barrel aged blood orange goes in anything neutral or lightly fruity. Chicory pecan goes in anything not fruity.

Have fun! They last a long time, both in a shelf life sense and in a # of drinks sense. Don't be afraid of small bottles for this reason.

e: ayyyy sup took-too-long-editing post buddy :hf:

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 9, 2018

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
I find Ango to be fairly unique and important. I have some other aromatic bitters that are great in certain drinks, but don’t work as well in some cocktails. Also, you can’t make a Trinidad sour without angostura. For orange bitters regans and ango orange are good, but my personal favorite is Berg and huack. They’re definitely a bit pricier, but that’s what I keep at home.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I love my bitters, I have been playing with different bitters and sweeteners in my old fashioned’s to bring out different notes in the alcohol.

Fee brothers cherry - not good, very cough syrup like.

Woodford reserve cherry - great as a substitute for Angostura if the bourbon is on the sweeter side

Fee brothers black walnut - use maple syrup for an amazing combo with a strong bourbon or rye

Fee brothers Orange bitters - I paired this with some orange blossom honey and I swear it was like a breakfast bourbon cocktail.

Fee brothers Grapefruit - mixed with an Anejo tequila and some agave syrup for a Mexico old fashioned

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Is there a brick and mortar that carries Kina l'Aero d'Or, and is it worth tracking down?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't find Fee Bros. Cherry to be like cough syrup, but I do find it to be so mild that it vanishes under drat near anything you mix it with.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Origami Dali posted:

Is there a brick and mortar that carries Kina l'Aero d'Or, and is it worth tracking down?

Just find a small local liquor store and ask them to order you a bottle.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Picked up some Angostura + Fee Brothers Orange bitters, might just try this out when I get a chance.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 9, 2018

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Gotta have Angostura. I prefer regans no. 6 orange to the ango orange.

I absolutely love the woodford cherry and the scrappys cardamom.

I don’t like a lot of the fee brothers ones. They use glycol instead of alcohol for a lot of them and i don’t like the flavor and body. I do like their black walnut and Aztec chocolate ones.

Green Bar produces the Bar Keep brand which have some nice niche ones, based on bartenders’ recipes. I’ve used the Chinese 5 spice in a pho-like cocktail with fish sauce and it’s amazing.

For ancho Reyes verde, it smells amazing and tastes great, but it and the regular tend to get lost in cocktails in my experience. I do one I call the mezcalito bandito
Splash ancho verde
.5 oz habanero/manzano/Chile pepper syrup
.75 lime
1.5 Vida mezcal
1 egg white
Shake, dry shake, fine strain into half-salted rim coupe glass, cilantro leaf and jalapeño wheel garnish

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Speaking of bitters, what's everyone's dashing technique? That might sound ridiculous, but depending on how you angle the bottle, you can put a drop or a stream of Ango in your drink with one dash. And that doesn't translate over to other bottles either. I've got a bottle of Fee Bros orange bitters that barely drips even with a full vertical shake.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
It's going to dash at different rates depending on how full the bottle is, too. If you care about consistency with it use a dropper, otherwise just shake it and go with god

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Dash them all, let don sort them out.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
The dash dart from cocktail kingdom

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Abbott's Bitters are truly transcendent if you know a place that carries them. That woody spice makes for a memorable Manhattan or Old Fashioned.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

ColHannibal posted:

:hai:

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

ColHannibal posted:

I got this joke and I have to tell you- God has mercy. Don built an algorithm to judge you, and you have been found wanting.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Jokes aside, dash until you like the cocktail. They really should put IBU on bitters so you can see the variations on brand and flavor but worst case you just drink more cocktails.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Is bartending worth it?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Toast Museum posted:

Anyone got recipes using Ancho Reyes Verde? Most of the manufacturer's suggestions are kinda samey: margarita riff, daiquiri riff, gimlet riff, etc. They're good, but I'd like to try it with something beyond lime, sugar, and a base spirit.

a bar i used to go to go to would use it in a mezcal Old fashioned riff.

A question, I bought basically everything Dram Apothecary makes. Anybody use their bitters or syrups before? I'm trying to find a use for them aside from deliciously flavored water.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Origami Dali posted:

Is bartending worth it?

What do you want out of it?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Fart Car '97 posted:

What do you want out of it?

Experience, knowledge, money, in that order really. Cocktails and drink history are a hobby that I could see doing as a professional and possibly enjoying. I have two other jobs, but I don't have a 'career' or anything tying me down to a 9 to 5, and I'd probably make more doing this anyway. Seems worth trying.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Get ready to do dishes and cut fruit and maybe ice as a bar back.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Origami Dali posted:

Is bartending worth it?

God no.

Yes.

Mostly no though.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

The Maestro posted:

I’ve used the Chinese 5 spice in a pho-like cocktail with fish sauce and it’s amazing.

Can I get more details? I've used fish sauce in a Bloody Mary type application (and in so much cooking). Also I've played around with Southeast Asian flavors in cocktails. You've piqued my interest for sure.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Comb Your Beard posted:

Give it some ice. If it's on the sweeter side hit it with a single dash of Ango. Or fashion more of a brandy old fashioned with your choice of sweetener and bitters. Love me some Calvados.

Much more complicated: use it in a Vieux Carré instead of cognac. Yum.

I'm about a week behind on this one, but I've really been digging Calvados black Manhattan variants lately (swapping a dark Amaro like Lucano, Averna, or Braulio for the vermouth). I'll do a vermouth/Amaro split and supplement it with some American rye if I want it a little less sweet. Black apple Manhattan aw yeah.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Origami Dali posted:

Experience, knowledge, money, in that order really. Cocktails and drink history are a hobby that I could see doing as a professional and possibly enjoying. I have two other jobs, but I don't have a 'career' or anything tying me down to a 9 to 5, and I'd probably make more doing this anyway. Seems worth trying.

Unless you're at a super successful spot with a huge support team (which had its own issues), cocktail bartending is 50% cleaning and prepping poo poo, 30% dealing with guests, 18% making the same drinks over and over (while doing the previous two things simultaneously), and 2% actually doing that creative and romantic cocktail creation poo poo people fantasize about when they think they want to be a cocktail bartender. Unless you're a hot poo poo bartender already, you should ask yourself if you're cool with mopping floors, cutting and juicing fruit, making syrups, and sometimes scrubbing toilets on Friday at 3am when everyone else is either getting laid or sleeping off the drunk they got to develop while you are working.

I mean I love it but most people aren't dumb like me. At least it's better than back of house if you are good with people?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Sega 32X posted:

Unless you're at a super successful spot with a huge support team (which had its own issues), cocktail bartending is 50% cleaning and prepping poo poo, 30% dealing with guests, 18% making the same drinks over and over (while doing the previous two things simultaneously), and 2% actually doing that creative and romantic cocktail creation poo poo people fantasize about when they think they want to be a cocktail bartender. Unless you're a hot poo poo bartender already, you should ask yourself if you're cool with mopping floors, cutting and juicing fruit, making syrups, and sometimes scrubbing toilets on Friday at 3am when everyone else is either getting laid or sleeping off the drunk they got to develop while you are working.

I mean I love it but most people aren't dumb like me. At least it's better than back of house if you are good with people?

Truth . I love doing it but that's basically what there is to it

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

If your priority is cocktails, then don't. If your priority is taking care of people and making sure they have a good time even if they poo poo on you, then go for it. I fell in love with bartending first, then transitioned to cocktails after that. You won't make it if you're in it for the drinks. Your focus needs to be on the other side of the bar first and foremost.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

What if you work at a fancy cocktail bar?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
How about bartending as occasional gig work? Seems like at least some of the drudgery involved in keeping an establishment running wouldn't apply.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

What if you work at a fancy cocktail bar?

Everything posted above applies even more to fancy cocktail bars than it does high volume places imo

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Comb Your Beard posted:

Can I get more details? I've used fish sauce in a Bloody Mary type application (and in so much cooking). Also I've played around with Southeast Asian flavors in cocktails. You've piqued my interest for sure.

Hell yes.

Bad Mother Pho
Muddle a jalapeño wheel or two
Add pinch of mint, cilantro, and basil
1-2 dash 5 spice bitters
1-2 dash fish sauce (I used Red Boat and transferred it into an empty bitters bottle - use a very light hand, you can always add more)
.5oz simple syrup
.75oz lime juice
.5 oz vya dry vermouth
.5oz domaine de canton ginger liqueur
1.5 oz Fords gin
Shake, fine strain into coupe glass, garnish with a skewer of lime wedge, jalapeño wheel, mint, basil, and cilantro

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Sega 32X posted:

Fart Car '97 posted:

If your priority is cocktails, then don't. If your priority is taking care of people and making sure they have a good time even if they poo poo on you, then go for it. I fell in love with bartending first, then transitioned to cocktails after that. You won't make it if you're in it for the drinks. Your focus needs to be on the other side of the bar first and foremost.

Thanks for the effort replies. I'm not into the idea for the romantic/creation startender poo poo, I just want to work and get good, and none of those tasks sound much worse than what I already do (I've worked customer service for over a decade and now I teach college). Luckily, I live in a huge metropolitan with a very active and well-managed cocktail bar scene, so there are a lot of options and opportunities. But yeah, I expect to be on prep, juicing duties and general barback work for an indefinite amount of time no matter where I go.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
I have a problem for you guys to solve — I am trying to identify a disagreeable botanical used prominently in a couple of American gins.

I like gin, but I generally stick to the classic London Dry style. For reference, my preferences are squarely conservative and middlebrow — Tanqueray, Bombay, Beefeater, Broker's, etc. I've had and liked Jensen's before. I can and have enjoyed drinking glass after glass of these neat.

So, for someone who thinks of themselves as liking gin, I'm always surprised when I find one I don't like. Since it premiered here in DC, I have always been put off by the flavor of Green Hat, and I have been burned once or twice when ordering a gin cocktail by bars that use it as their house gin. At first, I suspected it might be celery seed that is responsible for Green Hat's unique taste, since it seemed like an unusual botanical for gin, but after visiting the distillery once or twice and smelling the botanicals they use, I feel like fennel reminded me most of what I was tasting.

I decided to try Death's Door for the first time and bought a bottle today. I am having a glass neat right now, and there it is again — that flavor I really don't care for.

Can any of you gin heads help me out and tell me what prominent botanical am I tasting in Green Hat and Death's Door?

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I think deaths door famously only uses like 5 botanicals. My first thought was lavender, as that’s the one I find most prevalent and disagreeable in new American gins, but I don’t think deaths door uses that. My offhand guess would be coriander, because I also find that in a lot of gins, but I enjoy it.

Fennel will give you the licorice note and I bet it is used pretty sparingly. I’m just gonna go look up deaths door botanicals and come back.

Ruling out fennel and juniper leaves coriander as the other main botanical in deaths door’s triumvirate. Turns out they only use those three botanicals. Perhaps it’s the malt backbone that you dislike? Or heaven forbid, the juniper?

Edit: rereading your post, it’s almost certainly the fennel.

Double edit: as a bartender, there isn’t much better than serving a guest who actually knows what they like (and dislike), especially if it’s something as specific as a certain gin or botanical in a gin. It opens up a great dialogue with your bartender and he or she will be able to recommend a replacement gin or let you sample a few to land on one you love. If I make a flawless drink but the guest doesn’t like it, then I haven’t done my job 100%.

The Maestro fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 13, 2018

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

The Maestro posted:

If I make a flawless drink but the guest doesn’t like it, then I haven’t done my job 100%.

*hands over glass that's 1/4 full*

I didn't like my long island iced tea, I couldn't taste the liquor. Make me another

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I just caught this on a local bar's menu and couldn't help but laugh.