Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sapozhnik posted:

In general gambits don't fire unless they will actually have an effect.

The main caveat I can think of is that they don't take Reflect status into account and will keep trying to Cure or whatever even though it's bouncing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Sapozhnik posted:

In general gambits don't fire unless they will actually have an effect.

Also for all the wailing and gnashing of teeth about the Great Crystal it actually seemed really simple? waystones come in pairs (N, N-1). the lower the number, the closer it is to the end of the dungeon. between every pair of waystones is a locked gate and a switch to unlock it.

search for a switch, flip the switch, corresponding star sign gate is now open.
then search for a waystone, if the waystone number is lower than any you've encountered yet, take the waystone.
repeat until you're done.

apparently getting all your maps disabled is enough to make some peoples' brains shut down though.

Did you get the treasure

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

corn in the bible posted:

Did you get the treasure

I tried going up instead of down and the enemies in the dark part of the crystal beat the living poo poo out of me.

So the answer is probably no

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Yeah the crystal has a tons of goodies which may or may not be there and some are in totally optional rooms.

So yeah.map always no exceptions

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Bruceski posted:

In the vein of FF12 questions, I noticed that in Zodiac every job has 4 quickening slots that have fixed costs. Can a character still only get 3 of them?

Yes, and in fact the remaining one disappears once you get your third quickening. The equivalent-cost slot on your other job will unlock too so check both jobs to make sure you fill in any bridges.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

WaltherFeng posted:

Yeah the crystal has a tons of goodies which may or may not be there and some are in totally optional rooms.

So yeah.map always no exceptions

Aside from some bits where one can get hung up chasing the white whale, I like how chests in this game tend to be random and common and stuff that adds up but nothing critical. Until you're actually looking for stuff and it turns out to be a 10% spawn in a far corner of Outofthewaysville.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Bruceski posted:

Similarly, Ally: Any > Vox or other cleanse will only cast it if they have the status ailment.

In the vein of FF12 questions, I noticed that in Zodiac every job has 4 quickening slots that have fixed costs. Can a character still only get 3 of them?

You can only grab 3, but the ones you pick affect both boards. Grabbing the 100 point quickening on one board will unlock the 100 point one on the characters other job.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Sapozhnik posted:

I tried going up instead of down and the enemies in the dark part of the crystal beat the living poo poo out of me.

let us know when you get hastega

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Sapozhnik posted:

The upper part of the crystal is what people complain about. It's way harder and way more confusing. Use a map.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Sunning posted:

There are some bugs with the benchmark which might cause your recommendation to be higher than what you'll need for the actual game.

Here's what's happening: The cows -- buffalo, whatever -- are being rendered at all times during the benchmark. This includes being rendered before trigger events, after trigger events, and even upon conclusion of the benchmark. The best example might be the campsite, when we've had a clear time-of-day change and location change: In the blackest of nights -- and this was hard to find -- the buffalo still roam, miles away and in the pitch black dark of a completed benchmark, still requiring system resources.

We found an LOD line drawn along the map, where you can see the transition of detail – so Square Enix has marked this space as being clearly not visible to the player, and yet still – way beyond the boundaries of this line, miles away – we see the cows in full detail.

Square Enix demonstrates in its own benchmark that the company is capable of selective objective removal, capable of culling, capable of triggered spawns, and yet the load-intensive cows remain, taxing the GPUs even when they rest 2 minutes in the future and 4 minutes in the past. To be very clear here: The cows, endowed with HairWorks (significant for its load generation), are being rendered by the GPU even when the player has no line of sight, and will have no line of sight for several minutes. They are still rendered after cutscenes, they are rendered after nightfall, they are always rendered.

Undone by bovine hair.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Saint Freak posted:

Here's what's happening: The cows -- buffalo, whatever -- are being rendered at all times during the benchmark. This includes being rendered before trigger events, after trigger events, and even upon conclusion of the benchmark. The best example might be the campsite, when we've had a clear time-of-day change and location change: In the blackest of nights -- and this was hard to find -- the buffalo still roam, miles away and in the pitch black dark of a completed benchmark, still requiring system resources.

We found an LOD line drawn along the map, where you can see the transition of detail – so Square Enix has marked this space as being clearly not visible to the player, and yet still – way beyond the boundaries of this line, miles away – we see the cows in full detail.

Square Enix demonstrates in its own benchmark that the company is capable of selective objective removal, capable of culling, capable of triggered spawns, and yet the load-intensive cows remain, taxing the GPUs even when they rest 2 minutes in the future and 4 minutes in the past. To be very clear here: The cows, endowed with HairWorks (significant for its load generation), are being rendered by the GPU even when the player has no line of sight, and will have no line of sight for several minutes. They are still rendered after cutscenes, they are rendered after nightfall, they are always rendered.

Undone by bovine hair.

Sounds like a SE port alright.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Remember that vase in FF14 1.0 that had more polygons than most NPCs?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

TressFX for every surface of every in-game object imho.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I read in one guide that you need to beat Ultima first before you can get the Excalibur in the great crystal. Is that true? I know that you needed to do the first part and get Reddas before you can get the rest of the good stuff.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

seiferguy posted:

I read in one guide that you need to beat Ultima first before you can get the Excalibur in the great crystal. Is that true? I know that you needed to do the first part and get Reddas before you can get the rest of the good stuff.

Well Ultima is literally sitting on top of it so yes

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

exquisite tea posted:

TressFX for every surface of every in-game object imho.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

WaltherFeng posted:

Well Ultima is literally sitting on top of it so yes

Well, poo poo. Couldn't remember since it's been ages since the last time I played 12 :v:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
that was not an image I was prepared to see when I entered this thread

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gologle posted:

that was not an image I was prepared to see when I entered this thread

WORK IN PROGRESS

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

seiferguy posted:

Yeah, but only Ultima 1. You don't need to beat the sequels.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

lobster22221 posted:

Yeah, but only Ultima 1. You don't need to beat the sequels.

Just keep burying you items on this one island and digging them back up. They upgrade and eventually you can just murder everything.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

What exactly is FF15 Pocket Edition?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

What exactly is FF15 Pocket Edition?

The entirety of FFXV remade as a mobile action RPG

Its weird but based on videos, fairly competent for a mobile game

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

The entirety of FFXV remade as a mobile action RPG

Its weird but based on videos, fairly competent for a mobile game

How does the combat work, given you're sliding your smearing your appendages all over a piece of glass instead of using proper buttons?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I almost unironically want a trigger warning for this.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

How does the combat work, given you're sliding your smearing your appendages all over a piece of glass instead of using proper buttons?

You tap/hold at the screen for all actions similar to other mobile games. Looks intuitive if a little shallow.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

This is pure unadulterated nightmare fuel.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The original trailer and this screenshot are all I've seen of baby FFXV and I've decided it's good

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

DrNutt posted:

Yeah I think it's just cause there's so many god drat games per year though. If they cut it down to like 20 I think baseball would be better.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

afaik it's also a stripped down XV. Like they didn't put all of the side quests or hunts in it, which makes sense. But it's got the whole story and the more important side quests.

Which means it'll be very short. Looks cute tho I might have to play around with it.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

DrNutt posted:

Trypophobia is no laughing matter.

:Cue Silent Hill Theme:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sunning posted:

No, no, Geliophobia is no laughing matter.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Sunning posted:

No, Silent Hill is the circumcision one, you want The Enigma of Amigara Fault

Mega64
May 23, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

No, Silent Hill is the circumcision one, you want The Enigma of Amigara Fault

Final Fantasy VII is the story of Cloud Strife and the horrors within his mind due to being circumcised.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Remember that vase in FF14 1.0 that had more polygons than most NPCs?

1k polys and 150 lines of shader code, which was roughly the same as a player character.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

1k polys and 150 lines of shader code, which was roughly the same as a player character.

And just as fun to play as!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Mega64 posted:

And just as fun to play as!

Gardening is more fun than 1.0 was

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
At least Tanaka had the right mind to beautifully sculpt catgirl rear end.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

seiferguy posted:

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

seiferguy posted: