Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Wow, I thought I bought the complete version, but yeah. There's Heart of Darkness on Steam that I don't own - for $20, really? It says it came out 5 years ago. I guess I'll wait for a sale, and until then see what I can do with what I have, which is A House Divided.

Well, whatever! I'm having a good time learning about this game and what's crazy is I just want them to make Vic 3 because I imagine all of this with the updated UI and QoL features that were added in CK2 and EU4... urg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
E: ^^^^^^^^^^ haha holy poo poo playing V2 without HOD :stare:

Aven Colony is a building sim where everything is built by robutts and fabricators and humans can't go outside due to the atmosphere or whatever.
Is that closer to what you want? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynG_pYKA3aU

BgRdMchne posted:

Don’t play the US unless you don’t mind events popping up all the time.

Didn't the beta patch reduce that?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

GrossMurpel posted:

Didn't the beta patch reduce that?

There's still a poo poo load of pop ups, by jingo!

Seriously, you'll quickly learn why US politicians quickly stop giving a poo poo and just randomly hit 'yes' on everything that crosses their desk.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Tomn posted:

The problem with Beyond Earth had less to do with optimism and more to do with the fact that their writers suuuuuuucked. A better writer could have done a lot of interesting things with fundamentally optimistic, yet competing transhumanist visions. Instead we get as a leader quote "Robots build better than humans? Then build more robots!" (only slightly paraphrased)
there's a soft total conversion, echoes of earth, which partially hardens the setting, by building mechanics around how you can respond to the decay of your uplink to earth:

quote:

Earth's commitment did not end when the seedships were launched. The messages of the Signal streaked across space, ready to decode and read upon arrival at the new world. Earth channeled much of its dwindling resources into aiding your survival, and the time will come to repay that generosity. When the messages from Earth grow desperate, what will you do? Will you take the extra step to start sending help back - even if it may not be enough to save Earth?
it doesn't do enough to transform all the lore, tech dialogues, etc., which remain awful. but it's well written and worth playing around with if you ever get the hankering.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Raskolnikov38 posted:

and do it as Luxembourg

I would legitimately love to do this if I felt like it was even possible but I just don't see how. I know you can propel basically any nation to GP status by rushing prestige techs, but since warfare is basically the only way you're going to be able to take german cores out of Prussia or Austria's spheres, what can Luxembourg even do? Even by making an alliance with Russia or something, you'll have to rely entirely on the AI to win the war for you and that is generally not a great option.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

TheMcD posted:

25.01 infamy is where the death zone starts. Don't even think for a second "oh, it'll be below the limit in a month". The entire god drat world will DoW you before that month is up. I learned that the hard way too.

If you're strong enough nobody will dare Dow you. My China or Germany games usually see me say gently caress it at some point and soar into hundreds of infamy

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ExtraNoise posted:

You and I both know what we want is a spiritual successor to Outpost.

Oh man there's a wave of nostalgia and undelivered hype. yeah, I'd kill for a more realistic simulationy hostile planet colonization game. I love any game that has a brutal hobo/survival phase that slowly gives way to plenty. You can look at this society you built out of hardscrabble and be proud.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

Oh man there's a wave of nostalgia and undelivered hype. yeah, I'd kill for a more realistic simulationy hostile planet colonization game. I love any game that has a brutal hobo/survival phase that slowly gives way to plenty. You can look at this society you built out of hardscrabble and be proud.

RimWorld, maybe? Although I suppose the scale involved is a lot smaller/more intimate than an Outpost type game.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

GrossMurpel posted:

E: ^^^^^^^^^^ haha holy poo poo playing V2 without HOD :stare:

Let me guess : like playing EU4 without Art of War, or something similar?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Lucas Archer posted:

The crisis system it introduces is my single favourite mechanic in any Paradox game and I can't imagine playing Victoria II without it.

And, also: it's on sale for 10 bux on Paradox's store.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pinterest Mom posted:

The crisis system it introduces is my single favourite mechanic in any Paradox game and I can't imagine playing Victoria II without it.

And, also: it's on sale for 10 bux on Paradox's store.

Yeah Victoria 2 is really not a complete game without the two expansions.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

The Cheshire Cat posted:

RimWorld, maybe? Although I suppose the scale involved is a lot smaller/more intimate than an Outpost type game.

Rimworld is not really about managing a colony, it's about creating all this dumb drama so you can lol at it, but the gameplay feels like a secondary consideration to the storytelling

It's a fine game and plenty of people enjoy it, I was hoping for something a little more sim and a little less soap opera

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I never quite understood the crisis system. It feels like every time a crisis arises, it's about my territory, and never about another country's. And then my Ottomans have to fight some impossible combination of enemies like Britain and Germany.

It's not a big deal though, Victoria 2 would need a lot of quality of life improvements for me to go back to it.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I would legitimately love to do this if I felt like it was even possible but I just don't see how. I know you can propel basically any nation to GP status by rushing prestige techs, but since warfare is basically the only way you're going to be able to take german cores out of Prussia or Austria's spheres, what can Luxembourg even do? Even by making an alliance with Russia or something, you'll have to rely entirely on the AI to win the war for you and that is generally not a great option.

Use Prussia to bully the Netherlands into giving you Java, build up a decent colonial empire, ship the troops back to mainland Europe, occupy Prussia for 1000 years, become the grossest Deutchland.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Rush prestige techs -> find a nice crown in the gutter

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gort posted:

I never quite understood the crisis system. It feels like every time a crisis arises, it's about my territory, and never about another country's. And then my Ottomans have to fight some impossible combination of enemies like Britain and Germany.

It's not a big deal though, Victoria 2 would need a lot of quality of life improvements for me to go back to it.

(Bolded for emphasis)

Well there's your problem. The crisis system is driven by a lot of factors but one of the big ones is cultures with a lot of nationalism being under a nation that doesn't have them as primary or accepted cultures, which is basically the entire Balkan region. If you release them as satellites you'll see all those crises just evaporate. Of course you might not want to do that (there isn't really a lot of benefit to having puppet nations in V2), but it's kind of your only option for crisis reduction - the other is to raise yourself up in the GP ranks, since the growth rate of crises is reduced by your GP ranking (Even #1 might not be enough to totally stifle the crisis generation from a large nationalist faction though). It also helps to get a big powerful ally since that will make them more likely to back your side in a crisis, but in the early game you're limited to one GP ally so the odds will still be stacked against you, especially since most of the other GPs start off not liking the Ottomans. You'll still see the crisis events pop up, but they may resolve more often as status quo if the opposition doesn't feel confident in their military odds.

Basically it boils down to: If you don't like being the target of a crisis event, don't play Austria or the Ottoman Empire.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I seem to recall playing Russia and every crisis was about Poland then as well.

Could just be bad luck, of course.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gort posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a bit of behind the scenes cheating to make crises more likely to hit players (like the math for how crisis points are being generated is visible, but if multiple crisis locations are tied at 100 then it's not made clear how it decides which one will become active once the cooldown from the previous expires), but it might also be that the AI is just better at paying attention to the factors than players. Like a bit part of dealing with crisis generation is suppressing nationalist factions, and I wouldn't be surprised if most people forget about faction suppression or just deliberately ignore it since it's a pain to keep checking in every so often.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

In my defense, I've never used the faction suppression mechanic, nor do I know exactly what it does

I am very good at Victoria 2

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Lucas Archer posted:

V2 predates the DLC model where expansions are optional and everyone gets the same patches regardless of whether or not you own them. If you don't have an expansion you're playing the game exactly as it was before it existed, and every expansion requires all the previous ones.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Gort posted:

That and Prussia of all people would support Polish independence just because Russia looked at them funny.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Some more company news this morning: https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/en/paradox-interactive-to-strengthen-team-with-new-ceo/

Paradox has a new CEO, Ebba Ljungerud. The people on reddit are already making GBS threads their pants, I'm assuming because it's a "female", but they won't just say it in such words. According to them this is the final nail in the coffin after the disasters that were HoI4 and Stellaris. lol.

I'll admit I'm a little wary, with words like "gambling software" (her background) and "mobile gaming" being thrown around in various other news sources. But she's been on the Paradox board of directors for four years now, and was probably made CEO for a good reason, so I'm staying optimistic.

Edit: vvvv :smug:

(Your post was better.)

ExtraNoise fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 13, 2018

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

So, it looks like Frederik Wester is stepping down as CEO. I'm not sure what it means for the company, but Reddit is freaking out, based on this news article that goes into the new CEO's background with gambling/online betting and mobile games.

e:beaten by microseconds

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Well, playing cards often have kings, queens and other historical figures printed on them so I'm not too worried.

Who's to say CK3 would be any worse as a freemium online poker game for your phone?

But in all seriousness when they announced their IPO everyone should've known things were going to change. I imagine there will be more announcements to come. But so long as the core business and franchise of the company continue to pull their weight I wouldn't worry too much.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 13, 2018

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Well, playing cards often have kings, queens and other historical figures printed on them so I'm not too worried.

Who's to say CK3 would be any worse as a freemium online poker game for your phone?

But in all seriousness when they announced their IPO everyone should've known things were going to change. I imagine there will be more announcements to come. But so long as the core business and franchise of the company continue to pull their weight I wouldn't worry too much.

That would be an improvement to CK2 (:smugbert:) but they better not touch EU or Vicky!

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Mobile CK3 is all I want in a phone game and I’d totally pay to remove the ads from herald scrolls.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Victoria III is finally gonna get made but it's gonna have lootboxes and be optimized for tablets

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

ExtraNoise posted:

Some more company news this morning: https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/en/paradox-interactive-to-strengthen-team-with-new-ceo/

Paradox has a new CEO, Ebba Ljungerud. The people on reddit are already making GBS threads their pants, I'm assuming because it's a "female", but they won't just say it in such words. According to them this is the final nail in the coffin after the disasters that were HoI4 and Stellaris. lol.

I'll admit I'm a little wary, with words like "gambling software" (her background) and "mobile gaming" being thrown around in various other news sources. But she's been on the Paradox board of directors for four years now, and was probably made CEO for a good reason, so I'm staying optimistic.

Edit: vvvv :smug:

(Your post was better.)

The good reason is money. That is the only reason the board of a public company makes someone CEO. The board thought her background in gambling software would create the best return for their shareholders relative to the other candidates.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I was losing the Hundred Years War' but then I found this loot crate full of Napoleonic units :D

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Athaboros posted:

So, it looks like Frederik Wester is stepping down as CEO.
He sure has balls putting his email address at the bottom of his post.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

popewiles posted:

The good reason is money. That is the only reason the board of a public company makes someone CEO. The board thought her background in gambling software would create the best return for their shareholders relative to the other candidates.

Lootboxes. I swear to god they're adding lootboxes somewhere somehow.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Crazycryodude posted:

Well if you think about it, events are kind a like lootboxes. Paradox games are full of events that popup!

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Senor Dog posted:

they better not touch Vicky!

I don't think they'd break that radically with company policy :v:

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

popewiles posted:

Have you considered that it might have something to do with wanting someone with experience running a large company through the years of its major growth when paradox is looking to grow massively over the next few years? Especially since she was never involved in the development side of her company and focused on operations and marketing? You know, the part of PDX that Fred ran?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Reading over Wester's post it doesn't seem so bad. I don't know what Paradox's leadership organization looks like so I can't say who reports to who but Executive Chairman is still a very high position so his voice will be heard. Yeah, money is going to talk louder and that will be what the new CEO will be listening to but I wouldn't worry about some digital sweatshop opening in China on August 2nd so they can start dumping shovelwear into the market. That'll be at least a late 2019 thing.

I'm sure they know alienating their primary customers in favour of chasing some other golden egg would be a poor decision so I wouldn't count on them abandoning map games just yet. Wouldn't be surprised if they continued to expand the publishing side of the business though and branched out from there.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Crazycryodude posted:

In their podcast yesterday, they (Johan specifically) talked about how they didn't want to use a lootbox system in their games.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I'll worry about Paradox if a bunch of top devs suddenly jump ship, otherwise...

He's not even leaving, just promoting himself to a new position with different day to day work.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Crazycryodude posted:

They have the stats for which countries are the most popular, so they've got all the data they need for setting up a Bronze/Silver/Gold system of country unlockables. The currency to unlock them can be bought from the store, or gained from completing a grand campaign. "To encourage players to experience more of the world", Bronze tier countries will give more currency, and gold the least, while their costs are reversed.

ExtraNoise posted:

In their podcast yesterday, they (Johan specifically) talked about how they didn't want to use a lootbox system in their games.
Preemptive denials are like the number one sign people are definitely going to do something.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah that's very suspicious

They're only going to be making match-three games from now on, aren't they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

ArchangeI posted:

Have you considered that it might have something to do with wanting someone with experience running a large company through the years of its major growth when paradox is looking to grow massively over the next few years? Especially since she was never involved in the development side of her company and focused on operations and marketing? You know, the part of PDX that Fred ran?

lmao