Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

sharkytm posted:

Right up there with IV morphine... Been there, done that.

Oh, yeah. I had some of that when I had to have my knee put back together in the 90s. Like injecting a warm, fluffy cloud that keeps telling you “You know that pain you have right now? Who cares, it doesn’t matter. HEY LOOK AT THAT TREE OUT THE WINDOW THAT IS THE MOST INTERESTING THING IN THE WORLD. LET’S STUDY IT UNTIL I WEAR OFF”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

After my appendectomy I had a little bit of bleeding they were concerned with, but also I was stuck in the hospital bed. They said I needed to get up and walk around and once I did, I'd be able to relieve myself because something to do with the general anasthesia had shut off my ability to piss or poo poo. And let me tell you I needed to, badly, because they were still running IVs into me at all times. However, the nausea was so bad I couldn't stand up without dry heaving.

So this goes on for like two days and I'm so miserable I first requested a stomach tube which they did, but that was worse... and then I asked for a catheter and let me tell you, things have gotten dire when you're voluntarily asking for a loving catheter.

So after all that my wife is like "hey you know they really should be able to do something about the nausea, you'd think" so we told a nurse to get the doctor and a couple hours later he comes by and we're like "uh seriously the nausea" and he goes...

"oh sure of course, we'll give you a shot it'll knock that out" and 30 minutes later someone ran something into my IV and BAM the nasuea was just loving GONE INSTANTLY.

And I experienced a very weird sort of euphoric rage because I was simultaneously able to stand up and start moving around and stop being quite so utterly miserable, which was awesome, and also completely furious because whyyyy did it take two days before anyone thought "hey he can't stand up because of nausea maybe we should try drugs for that."

The moral of the story is doctors and hospitals are great, but they're also poo poo, and you have to be very proactive about asking for what you need, even though you might be wrong about what you need, but sometimes you still have to ask or you get nothing and they'll just let you lie there.

e. Oh yeah also, the other moral is that crippling nausea is treatable.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Leperflesh posted:

e. Oh yeah also, the other moral is that crippling nausea is treatable.

Via a hollowpoint to the brain stem.

Posted this in misc shart by accident, meant to go here: puked in bed last night because I farted in my sleeping bag and couldnt get out in time

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

And I experienced a very weird sort of euphoric rage because I was simultaneously able to stand up and start moving around and stop being quite so utterly miserable, which was awesome, and also completely furious because whyyyy did it take two days before anyone thought "hey he can't stand up because of nausea maybe we should try drugs for that."

I got hospitalized with bacterial meningitis, had been throwing up for 24 hrs so they gave me compazine which seemed to work wonders once I had regained consciousness. The strange thing is ever since then, I don't throw up, ever. Don't care if I have the flu, eat bad food, drink too much, whatever, just no longer throw up. I don't know if it relates the anti-nausea drugs or something in my brain switching off cause of the constant puking, but it's kind of a nice side effect (except I could probably drink myself to death if I was drinking hard liquor).

I'm also very glad I was unconscious when they put the catheter in, I can't imagine asking for one. Was really not a fan of having one, I swear it was the width of an In-n-Out straw, which seemed incredibly unnecessary.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
If you can get some maxilon, stematil or ondansetron (these are Australian names for anti-emetics and YMMV), that'll kill that nausea dead.

Downside is you'll probably have to get a prescription from a GP and you live in America so that'll be like a million dollars.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

Via a hollowpoint to the brain stem.

Posted this in misc shart by accident, meant to go here: puked in bed last night because I farted in my sleeping bag and couldnt get out in time

Live by the sword, die by the sword. RIP

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Proteus Jones posted:

When you have dehydration, that first IV bag is the most delicious feeling as your body soaks it up like a sponge. It is literally one of the strangest GOOD feelings ever.

I got severe Mono in my early 20's and started throwing everything up, partly because the head/jawache I had was preposterously awful, and partly because everything else was bad too. I ended up in the hospital for like 4 days and I still remember that first IV and the relief it gave me because I hadn't been able to keep water down for over a day before that. It didn't cure the headache but it made it feel almost manageable.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

Cards on the table: I loled irl at this.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

Midjack posted:

Cards on the table: I loled irl at this.

As did I.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Proteus Jones posted:

When you have dehydration, that first IV bag is the most delicious feeling as your body soaks it up like a sponge. It is literally one of the strangest GOOD feelings ever.

Except for that weird saline taste you get. And the sudden cold in your arm that you feel creeping up your veins. But otherwise agreed.

Leperflesh posted:

I asked for a catheter and let me tell you, things have gotten dire when you're voluntarily asking for a loving catheter.

"oh sure of course, we'll give you a shot it'll knock that out" and 30 minutes later someone ran something into my IV and BAM the nasuea was just loving GONE INSTANTLY.

Oh god. Yeah, a male asking for a catheter is basically knocking on death's door, waiting for his hot sister to answer, and loving her brains out.. in front of death and his father while they're holding shotguns.

I've had one. Once. It was not up to me whether or not I got it. I didn't like it going in, I didn't like it going out, and I sure as gently caress didn't like it the one time I woke up with morning wood while I had it. Thank gently caress I only had it a couple of days.

Did they hit you with Zofran? That poo poo is a miracle. If they hit you with phenergan, ehhh... it's an early antihistamine, similar to benadryl, but works well on nausea (just makes you tired as hell).

MomJeans420 posted:

I'm also very glad I was unconscious when they put the catheter in, I can't imagine asking for one. Was really not a fan of having one, I swear it was the width of an In-n-Out straw, which seemed incredibly unnecessary.

I was conscious when they put mine in. Not... pleasant...

Don Dongington posted:

If you can get some maxilon, stematil or ondansetron (these are Australian names for anti-emetics and YMMV), that'll kill that nausea dead.

Downside is you'll probably have to get a prescription from a GP and you live in America so that'll be like a million dollars.

Zofran is the name brand for ondansetron in the US.

I've been rX'd ondansetron (Zofran) and promethazine (Phenergan) before. Zofran is seriously good poo poo, and the oral 4mg version is generally the kind that dissolves in your mouth. Phenergan is okay so long as you don't mind being groggy and useless.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I've had a drug a couple of times that enhances contrast for a CT scan. When they put it in, the attendant will tell you "you might feel a warm sensation in your crotch". They're not kidding. Each time, it felt like I've pissed myself. The first time they were looking for a hemorrhage in my intestines and I was insanely sick and in pain so I just assumed I had actually pissed myself. The second time I was getting a check up for random low-level abdominal pain and felt fine otherwise, so it came as a real surprise that my bladder apparently let go. Both times were complete false alarms.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

puked in bed last night because I farted in my sleeping bag and couldnt get out in time
We've all done it.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I've had bouts of flu and food poisoning where I've woken up in my own poo poo before. Great way to start the day I tell ya, washing lovely sheets.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
When I was on a ship, norovirus or something like it would go around usually twice on a deployment.

We were unclogging a sink line, and there was a guy dying in a stall. Suddenly the door flies open, and he shuffles across the aisle of shitters, to puke in the one in front of him. As soon as the noise stopped, we heard him moan "oh god it's turning around" and try to back shuffle into the stall again.

Instead he just starts making GBS threads. The smell of which made him puke. One of the most hosed up sights of my life, a grown rear end man standing bare assed with coveralls around his ankles violently puking and making GBS threads on every surface within 6'.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

iwentdoodie posted:

When I was on a ship, norovirus or something like it would go around usually twice on a deployment.

We were unclogging a sink line, and there was a guy dying in a stall. Suddenly the door flies open, and he shuffles across the aisle of shitters, to puke in the one in front of him. As soon as the noise stopped, we heard him moan "oh god it's turning around" and try to back shuffle into the stall again.

Instead he just starts making GBS threads. The smell of which made him puke. One of the most hosed up sights of my life, a grown rear end man standing bare assed with coveralls around his ankles violently puking and making GBS threads on every surface within 6'.

Got horrible food poisoning in Cuba. Spent my last night there standing in the shower doing this. Would NOT recommend. Thankfully the resort seemed to have infinite hot water, as I just stood in the shower/laid in the tub for about 6 straight hours wishing for the quick arrival of death.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Do y'all not have immodium or something

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Siochain posted:

Got horrible food poisoning in Cuba. Spent my last night there standing in the shower doing this. Would NOT recommend. Thankfully the resort seemed to have infinite hot water, as I just stood in the shower/laid in the tub for about 6 straight hours wishing for the quick arrival of death.

Had this happen to me on a boat in Egypt. Don't rinse your toothbrush with tap water, folks. Don't drink the tap water. Don't even look at the tap water.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Tap water has never made me sick anywhere except the US :v:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

iwentdoodie posted:

Just lmao

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

MA-Horus posted:

Had this happen to me on a boat in Egypt. Don't rinse your toothbrush with tap water, folks. Don't drink the tap water. Don't even look at the tap water.

Bad pork at one of the resorts restaurants. Also, immodium, gravol, pepto - nothing worked. Couldn't keep it down long enough for it to do anything.
Easily the shittiest I have ever felt. Then I had to fly home the next morning. Life was wonderful.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Don Dongington posted:

You normally don't want to do that with something really bad, it can cause more problems than it solves and it'll probably be overwhelmed anyways.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Memento posted:

I've had a drug a couple of times that enhances contrast for a CT scan. When they put it in, the attendant will tell you "you might feel a warm sensation in your crotch". They're not kidding. Each time, it felt like I've pissed myself. The first time they were looking for a hemorrhage in my intestines and I was insanely sick and in pain so I just assumed I had actually pissed myself. The second time I was getting a check up for random low-level abdominal pain and felt fine otherwise, so it came as a real surprise that my bladder apparently let go. Both times were complete false alarms.

Last time I had a CT scan, I discovered that I am allergic to the dye.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Don Dongington posted:

Useless if you can't keep it down.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

sharkytm posted:

Right up there with IV morphine... Been there, done that.
IV Morphine for several weeks, I didn't feel anything but had enough conversions with balloons they wouldn't let people bring more into the room.

Leperflesh posted:

The moral of the story is doctors and hospitals are great, but they're also poo poo, and you have to be very proactive about asking for what you need, even though you might be wrong about what you need, but sometimes you still have to ask or you get nothing and they'll just let you lie there.
Very true

On the topic of food poisoning and making GBS threads yourself to death, have this gem from my Dad

quote:

Here's a update on my India trip:

Monday I was stepping into a battery room and thought the plate at the base of the steps was steel cause everything in India has brown dust all over it. Well it was 1/16 inch Masonite so my left leg went through it into a 3 foot deep wiring trench. My right leg didn't so I split the crotch of my pants wide open and landed on my elbow and wrist.

Then today about 9am I broke out in a sweat and my belly started roiling and it was off to the races. And here's the bad part. This site is in Pune, a smaller town where the data center had western toilets but no toilet paper; just the garden hose hanging neatly by the tank. What the hell is a guy supposed to to with a garden hose to clean his bum? I just don't think these guys have thought things through. You wonder why decease runs rampant here?

So I'm sick as a dog hittin the shitter on the hour every hour given that ole garden hose a workout and at 2pm the company India guy says my driver is here to take you to Mumbai, a four hour car ride away. I swallowed as much immodium as they had in that small town and stole a box of Kleenex out of one the company guys car and hit the road.

The driver spoke little if any English so the company guys told him that I had the shits so if I yelled stop he'd pull over so I could poo poo right along the side of the interstate while 60 or 89 cars drove by wondering what I'd do out there without a dam garden hose.

The immodium worked so I made it to the airport. Well in India if you show up at the airport Tuesday the 17th at 6pm with a flight out on the 19th at 2:30am, they don't let you in the airport even if you tell them you are going in to buy a ticket for a flight to anywhere in the world that garden hoses aren't associated with deficating.

The security guy with a really impressive fully automatic weapon takes offense at the remark so I figure it's time to buy a ticket on line and a try a different entrance to the airport.

I manage to buy a ticket for $600 to Amsterdam and call my friends at delta to move my flight up one day to match my new arrival date. The night before delta quoted $70 to change the flight by one day. Suddenly it's $1132. I call our CORP travel agent; she's on it; no one's going to nick company for $1132. She comes up with the perfect routing and I was a little embarrassed I hadn't thought of it myself. For only $700 something I could fly from Amsterdam to Warsaw Fricking Poland, yes you heard me right, fricken Poland then change planes ( she actually said you had to change planes; like most of the time you connect through an airport and they route the plane where you gotta go) and fly to Chicago then a quick flight to msp getting in just in time to put a turkey in the oven and pour myself an IPA and celebrate thanksgiving with the family.

So I tell her that's a really tempting routing but it's not going to happen so please book the $1132 delta flight and let's call it a day.

She points out the difference in cost to company and I ask her if she's ever been anywhere that had garden hoses hanging neatly where toilet dispensers normally rule in a bathrooom and she says she's never left the Irin Range and isn't going to fall for any of that garden hose bullshit.

But she did book the flight.

I go to check in for the flight. A guy in a really nice suit says I can't check in for a 2:30amflight at 7pm and to come back at 9:30. Has to do with Immigration.

At 9:30 there are families with three carts of bags per person lined up for half a block. I get to the counter, give her my passport and tell her I'd like to check one bag to msp. She say you only bought a ticket to Amsterdam so I show her the email with my new flights. Then she notices my visa is in an expired passport but I have a valid passport as well. This blows her mind; one guy; two passports. I'm thinking all I'm trying do is leave. My two passports didn't raise an eyebrow coming into India.

So she goes off and talks to two or three people for fifteen minutes then comes back and taps some keys and asks me if I want to upgrade to business class for 5500 rupees. That's 90 bucks and it's been an expensive day so I decline. She says she still can't check my bag and in economy class they charge like 50 US to carry a bag on so I'm flying to Amsterdam in business class but I need to carry on my bag. I get to security and realize I have my 30 year old company Swiss Army knife in the bag I usually check. There's nothing I can do about it so I run the bag through the X-ray. The camouflage dressed security guy with an impressive handgun asks me if that's my bag. I say yup and he says you have an aerosol can in this bag that has to go. So I yank the can of deet out that I'd been spraying on me since I arrived so I'd never need to use a toilet with a garden hose and hand it over. He gives me the "potential unabomber" look and sends me on my way.

I haven't eaten since breakfast and everything I look at looks like it's going to make sick. So I ask for a bottle of water at a shop and hand the guy a 500 rupee note because I'd spent all the 100 rupee notes on guys at the hotel that grab your bag and follow you around and ask for their tip. The guy says he doesn't give change. I hand him an American Express card and he says they only support the "tap" payment method and I have no idea how that poo poo works so figure dehydration probably isn't as bad as the medical community builds it up to be and I go to a bar and order a kingfisher beer; a good local beer. I've had two now and I only have another two and a half hours til I can carry my bag into business class and act like I am somebody.

I'll update you after Amsterdam.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Traveling abroad sounds like a blast! :v:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Oh it is a blast. God it's fun.

I spent 3 weeks in Thailand back in early 2012 when I was still a native English teacher in Korea, I was drunk about 90% of the time I wasn't scuba diving it was wonderful. The last two days I started to feel sniffles and thought I was getting sick. Knowing I was flying HKT-ICN-HNL Which was an accumulated 20 hours of flying I went to the local Thai pharmacy and bought enough valium over the counter to drop an elephant

Get to the airport for like 10pm in full-blown flu. The departures lounge is PACKED with sunburned hungover Australians because an aussie LCC had cancelled 4 flights out of Phuket that day. I'm trying not to die as I put back airport Changs before boarding my midnight Korean Air flight. I hear my name over the intercom system and think gently caress PLEASE DON'T BUMP ME YOU FUCKS

:j: We are very sorry sir, the entertainment system at your seat is not working.
:ohdear: Oh thank god that's it? I don't care I'll be asleep.
:j: Oh no sir, that's not acceptable! We will put you in first class.

Get on the plane, put back two glasses of free champagne, put the seat into full max relax mode, wake up for landing at Incheon with full body shaking from the fever. Or the hangover I still can't tell. I spent the next 36 hours in a hotel room curled up in the tub blasting rear end from both ends. Was good enough to get on the flight to Honolulu hopped up on valium and then to Kauai and proceeded to get half the people in my family sick with whatever goddamn evil poo poo flu that was.

MA-Horus fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 13, 2018

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
OOh I love poop chat!

Got the runs in Switzerland of all places. Just would not stop. And believe it or not public bathrooms in parks and stuff were the stand up and poo poo in a hole variety I kid you not.

There were little pharmacies with green crosses on every corner but I was embarrassed and didn’t know what to ask for. I finally approach one as I was dying and try to ask about pooping and the smoking hot Swiss girl was just like oh you need Imodium here ya go.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Im trying one last thing first but last night was spent in so much physical pain and Nausea I almost woke Tremek up at 4am to ask him to take me tu urgent care. The only thing that helped was sleeping curled up like a prawn on the floor of the trailer with my back and kidneys pressed up to the propane furnace vent and fitfully sleeping for an hour before waking up and dry heaving

All i want is a hot bath, cat

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

Im trying one last thing first but last night was spent in so much physical pain and Nausea I almost woke Tremek up at 4am to ask him to take me tu urgent care. The only thing that helped was sleeping curled up like a prawn on the floor of the trailer with my back and kidneys pressed up to the propane furnace vent and fitfully sleeping for an hour before waking up and dry heaving

All i want is a hot bath, cat

The cat is unmoved by your story.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Just turn on the water. He will learn.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Tremek posted:

Just turn on the water. He will learn.

Cat owner spotted.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I've never experienced anything like what you guys are describing. Feeling pretty lucky right now.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The worst traveling story i have is when i was on leave in the states from Japan and stupid me didn't account for jet lag getting back. Hours after I got off the plane (18 hour flight) went straight into 12 hour shifts for the next five days and I was loving miserable. Extreme jet lag is hard to explain but it's awful.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Huge_Midget posted:

Cat owner spotted.

He's more my wife's cat than mine, and I may in fact be overly generous in suggesting he will learn - he's a real dumb cat tbqh - but at least he's friendly.

... most of the time. First week we had him, cat thought I was going to feed him to the dags and sunk his teeth in to the gumline. Hello, cellulitis.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Tremek posted:

He's more my wife's cat than mine, and I may in fact be overly generous in suggesting he will learn - he's a real dumb cat tbqh - but at least he's friendly.

... most of the time. First week we had him, cat thought I was going to feed him to the dags and sunk his teeth in to the gumline. Hello, cellulitis.

My dad had almost the same place bitten on his hand and nearly lost his arm from the infection until they did emergency surgery to clean it up. The cat is still around but ironically has lost some teeth from cat herpes.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I have a pretty good scar on my right forearm from when a foster cat latched on with her entire jaw. I was debating going to the ER for about a day or two and then it settled down because I had cleaned it out right away and doused it with peroxide.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tremek posted:

Oh jesus. My mom got that really bad when she tried to give our cat a bath, ended up in the hospital with the infection.

So my rear end in a top hat step dad in his infinite wisdom decided to get rid of the cat and make me do it, driving us out to the middle of nowhere and making me drop the cat in the woods (i was maybe 11 years old at the time). Of course weeks later he found his way home so my step dad "took care of it". I always looked at it as my mom's fault for trying to give a big strong tomcat a bath by herself who the gently caress does that.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Yeah, it went from OW YOU MOTHERFUCKER to this might need antibiotics to yup time to figure out which urgent care is open to thanks for the $150 rear end in a top hat cat surcharge in the first week we have had you, you dick, in a 24 hour time span. Cat mouth bacteria ain't nothing to gently caress with.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Oh god. Yeah, a male asking for a catheter is basically knocking on death's door, waiting for his hot sister to answer, and loving her brains out.. in front of death and his father while they're holding shotguns.

It hurt, but it let the pee out that had been building in me for three days. A man who has had an IV running liquids into him for three days and hasn't peed looks at a catheter as an infinitely preferable option, with the other option being scavenging a scalpel from somewhere and seeing if he can find his bladder the hard way.

quote:

Did they hit you with Zofran? That poo poo is a miracle. If they hit you with phenergan, ehhh... it's an early antihistamine, similar to benadryl, but works well on nausea (just makes you tired as hell).

Man I have no idea. They stuck a needle into the place on the IV where you can add stuff to the saline drip, and squirted in some liquid magic that made the bad go away. I was not in a position to be taking notes.

NitroSpazzz posted:

On the topic of food poisoning and making GBS threads yourself to death, have this gem from my Dad

I get the feeling your dad was blissfully unaware that basically ever person he interacted with in India in that story was asking for a bribe.

Don Dongington posted:

Ironically, Immodium makes me vomit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Once I bagged a diet coke from the back of some random fridge at work where they stored leftover supply from hosting events. After drinking about half, I thought "man this coke tastes kinda weird" and checked expiration - it was a couple years past date so I tossed the rest and finished out the workday. Felt somewhat... odd at one point but didn't think too much of it.

After work I went over to visit with my new girlfriend at the time, who was housesitting at her parents gorgeous custom-job craftsman house/mansion. I'm talking bespoke stained-glass windows and Honduran mahogany cabinets and hammered brass fixtures everywhere. This was only my second or third time visiting. We eat some dinner and I'm feeling increasingly nauseous but trying to keep it together. Finally, I hit that point of no return and rushed into the nearest bathroom so I could projectile vomit forcefully into the toilet. After a few minutes of that, I felt better and cleaned the previously immaculate bowl before standing up and dropping down to do it all over again - I remember admiring the handcut marble tile between heaves.

Finally made it out of the bathroom and crawled into the beautiful guest bed while shivering like a chihuahua and apologising to her. She laughed and told me to sleep it off and she'd come to bed later. Several hours later, I woke up in the dark... fully making GBS threads myself. Not like, a little fart accident, more terrible hangover shits. Unfortunately, she had come to bed and was sound asleep next to me. After laying there panicking for a few minutes I bit the bullet, shook her awake and strongly suggested she exit the bed her side and not ask any questions. The tone of her reply did not inspire confidence.

That was a really awkward thirty minutes while I shivered around in that big house carrying a bundle of poo poo trying not to get it anywhere while showering and figuring out the laundry room. It felt like that scene in Trainspotting. To her credit, by the time I finished she had remade the bed and had a bemused look on her face. That was some of the worst mortification I have ever felt. I was back to 100% by noon the next day, and our relationship survived another 2.5 years despite my desecration of her parent's place.

I don't know if it was really the expired diet coke or just a coincidentally-timed stomache bug, but I damned well check exp dates on sodas now.

• Locked thread