Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Hyperlynx posted:

gently caress, man, you're missing out. Hell Orbs is incredible. Well skeleton zone, at any rate.

e:

Right, which goes to my other point - that a good currency is easy to carry around and exchange. One of the reasons people these days don't tend to use heavy copper sheets, spears, or giant stones.

ee: although, I guess in a sense if you have advanced banking and good accounting maybe the giant stones would still work? I mean, I very rarely use cash these days, but instead exchange money by pressing a piece of plastic to a lump of metal and glass until it beeps, which means my number goes down and someone else's number goes up, but no physical copper, spears or giant stones has changed hands.

Island communities with a small population and small amount of currency in 'circulation' can function on collective memory well enough, I'd imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Crudbump too

https://youtu.be/g5GnMR2EB54

Bite That Butt

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Wasn't he also MR Crackers/I Like Frostys?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Lakedaimon posted:

Thats pretty interesting, never saw that before. The Laconians (Spartans) in the archaic and classical period used heavy iron skewers as their currency. It had little inherent value, it's believed that part of the reasoning was to make transfers of wealth (and underhanded things like bribes) difficult and cumbersome. When the Greeks adopted coinage, the standard coin or obol takes its name from these skewers.

In the South Pacific, the people of Yap used giant stones for currency that make the daler look downright convenient. The largest known weighs 4 tons. Because they are so difficult to move, trading them is largely based on agreeing that ownership has transferred and leaving it where it is.

So a quarry is like, a bank?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lakedaimon posted:

In the South Pacific, the people of Yap used giant stones for currency that make the daler look downright convenient. The largest known weighs 4 tons. Because they are so difficult to move, trading them is largely based on agreeing that ownership has transferred and leaving it where it is.

Essentially they invented credit

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Looks like we're posting our favorite Drewtoothpaste videos.

Laziness anthem "I Don't Do poo poo". Amen, Drew.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPrjhrPXkDE

I'm also a big fan of "Comb Your Beard (At Night)". It's actually got a really cool beat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg1RuXvlxxQ

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Peeny Cheez posted:

Kompressor was an almost perfect piss-take of bad mp3.com-era fruity loops industrial music.

As one of those mp3.com-era industrial bands we all loved him too. I know he and one of the bands we used to hang out with worked together on some actual remixes and stuff, but I never got to meet the guy. I still remember the first time I saw KOMPRESSOR posted here and couldn't believe anyone else had heard of him.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

As useful as the ps4 touchpad.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Dannywilson posted:

A quote I reference to this day.

I just rewatched it, in case it was sleep deprivation that made me think it was funny, last night. I gotta say, it holds the gently caress up.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bombadilillo posted:

As useful as the ps4 touchpad.
Still more fun to play with than the actual Switch

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Memento posted:

I was trying to remember KOMPRESSOR DOES NOT DANCE the other day, thanks for reminding me everyone.

ZERO TO PHANTOM, THE FINAL SCORE
SELLING SAUSAGE FROM DOOR TO DOOR

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth

Solice Kirsk posted:

As one of those mp3.com-era industrial bands we all loved him too. I know he and one of the bands we used to hang out with worked together on some actual remixes and stuff, but I never got to meet the guy. I still remember the first time I saw KOMPRESSOR posted here and couldn't believe anyone else had heard of him.

There used to be this “internet radio” jukebox thing strictly for industrial music called stoic radio or something like that. When I was 16 or so, I used to go on there and anonymously request various KOMPRESSOR tracks one after another, just to watch everyone in the chat get mad as hell after a while (and also because I liked KOMPRESSOR).

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

new friend from school posted:

There used to be this “internet radio” jukebox thing strictly for industrial music called stoic radio or something like that. When I was 16 or so, I used to go on there and anonymously request various KOMPRESSOR tracks one after another, just to watch everyone in the chat get mad as hell after a while (and also because I liked KOMPRESSOR).

Relive those glory years my man:

http://www.sanctuaryradio.com/

Sleepy Sheep
Jun 12, 2009
You guys have forgotten the best thing Drew Toothpaste has ever done!

He married Natalie Dee. :colbert:

(The Worst Things For Sale is cool, too)

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

Essentially they invented the blockchain

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

don't post photos where the photographer died!

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

theflyingorc posted:

don't post photos where the photographer died!

All photographers die :ohdear:

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

The Bloop posted:

But not all photographers truly live.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

The Bloop posted:

Leica Morghulis!

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Lakedaimon posted:

Thats pretty interesting, never saw that before. The Laconians (Spartans) in the archaic and classical period used heavy iron skewers as their currency. It had little inherent value, it's believed that part of the reasoning was to make transfers of wealth (and underhanded things like bribes) difficult and cumbersome. When the Greeks adopted coinage, the standard coin or obol takes its name from these skewers.

Related:

The Triganic Pu is a unit of galactic currency, with an exchange rate of eight Ningis to one Pu. This is simple enough, but, since a Ningi is a triangular rubber coin six thousand eight hundred miles along each side, no one has ever collected enough to own one Pu. Ningis are not negotiable currency, because the Galactibanks refuse to deal in fiddling small change.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

https://twitter.com/donniemnemonic/status/962909260907626496

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

X-post Double post

The_Book_Of_Harry
Apr 30, 2013

The_Book_Of_Harry
Apr 30, 2013

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Would

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I only recently learned about this because a large new apartment building is just called "1488" after 2 previous name-changes they decided to play it safe by simply using the building's address.

PaulBearer
Jul 23, 2013
PYF Funny Pictures: top-teir unfunny

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Blood Buff

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I'll have the special.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Who's the surgeon general these days and why is he dert mining things

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I'll have the special.
Bad news

It's cepsis

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Lakedaimon posted:

Hahahaha, they invented monetary theory, went right to late capitalism, and skipped the intervening historical periods.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Phy posted:

Wasn't he also MR Crackers/I Like Frostys?

Yep.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

The Bloop posted:

Bad news

It's cepsis

Yeah but it comes with a free hammer and I don't have to actually drink that other crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The Surgeon General Has Dertimined