Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

oh my god you are the most frustrating person in the loving world

You shouldn't have glossed over the tutorials about me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Super mega baseball is a fun baseball game, but all player upgrades come from coaches that get unlocked as you gain experience. The coach management screen isn't very well optimised, as there's no way to tell which coach is giving which upgrade when you're trying to decide which coach to replace.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
im annoyed that in Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, Super Saiyans get like fifty super souls to buff it while Purification (which isn't poo poo now) gets, uh, two. Its a unique transformation that completely overhauls your character (keeping their attribute point allocations however) that could benefit from more insane crap like "depletes ki, makes angry shout cost 1 bar of stamina instead of 3", whereas stuff like Super Saiyan which just boosts your ki/strike attacks by a percentage*, gets super souls that just further boosts the percentage buffs the transformation gives. *ok well it also makes you teleport behind enemies when doing kamehameha attacks and gives you a free Z-step when you initiate a regular weak attack.

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.
Y'all are so goddamn repetitive in pointlessly needling each other and trying to get the last word in that I feel like I just read a Persona 5 cutscene.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

i've been really into path of exile lately but i still wish the classes weren't gender-locked

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Playing Trails of Cold Steel right now, and I really dislike the amount of 'hidden' stuff in the game. Sidequests that you don't learn about until you talk to the quest giver, for example - to get these quests, you have to literally talk to everyone in the world, every 'segment' (day and night) of the game, just to find them. There's no indication that there are even any hidden sidequests to begin with. I'm following a guide, because gently caress that.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
e: boring shitpost

A HUNGRY MOUTH has a new favorite as of 19:46 on Feb 13, 2018

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

poptart_fairy posted:

You shouldn't have glossed over the tutorials about me.

F1 Race Stars feels like it could've been a really good game, but something just feels off with the way weapons work. There's something to be said for a non-drift based karting game, but the weapons didn't feel creative enough for what the game wanted to be. It seems like it tried to split the difference between karting and F1, and just ended up in a mediocre middle ground. The boost system was a bit strange, too.

Good for them for trying though, shame they won't get another crack at it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Morpheus posted:

The fights in Monster Hunter are not boss fights, they are the entire mission. That's like saying you didn't like the fights in Shadow of the Colossus because they are too long 'for boss fights', when in fact they aren't boss fights, they are the core of what the entire game is based around - every single mechanic in the game is structured around these battles. BUT that said if you don't like that core, then it's totally understandable, and people saying that your dislike of the game is incorrect for some reason is dumb.

In the case of Monster Hunter it's not just the fight itself but the preparation, eating, loading, searching for the thing, returning to base, crafting, comparing items, selling off the excess materials, checking your research/farm etc. If you want to complete one whole gameplay loop as it's structured then it can actually take a whole lot longer than even the 20 minutes spent in combat. I can really only get in one quest in the morning between the time I wake up to when I go to the gym, whereas say in Diablo 3 I could bang out more than a few rifts, take down 2-3 colossi in SotC, advance a little bit of story in Tales of Berseria, and so on. The pace of the game is intentionally deliberate, and if you only have a limited window to get some questing done before you have to attend other obligations, it can be hard to fit it all in without leaving something unfinished.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Morpheus posted:

Playing Trails of Cold Steel right now, and I really dislike the amount of 'hidden' stuff in the game. Sidequests that you don't learn about until you talk to the quest giver, for example - to get these quests, you have to literally talk to everyone in the world, every 'segment' (day and night) of the game, just to find them. There's no indication that there are even any hidden sidequests to begin with. I'm following a guide, because gently caress that.

I found the same problem in the first one. I opened a guide once and was shocked at how much obscure stuff there was that I'd missed. Cool that there was so much to get, but shame it was so easy to miss.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

It bugs me that, if previous Monster Hunter games are anything to go by, a new improved version of MH World (called, like, MH World Ultimate or something) will come out that will have new monsters and an entirely new rank (traditionally, G-Rank), with all new poo poo and it will require purchasing the game anew, rather than being available as DLC.

Capcom makes a few good games but drat they are a real lovely company.

ilmucche posted:

I found the same problem in the first one. I opened a guide once and was shocked at how much obscure stuff there was that I'd missed. Cool that there was so much to get, but shame it was so easy to miss.

I'm an idiot so I like to be completionist, making things like this really frustrating to me. Just tell me about all the stuff to do! What's the loss if you do?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Remember Banjo Kazooie nuts and bolts how the text on non HD TV was like a millimeter big

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Morpheus posted:

I'm an idiot so I like to be completionist, making things like this really frustrating to me. Just tell me about all the stuff to do! What's the loss if you do?

I agree. a few harder to find things is cool, but it was a bit disappointing when I thought I'd done a good job of following through on everything to find out there was so much missing. Better than Xenogears like 60 hour long trade quest though!

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Calaveron posted:

Remember Banjo Kazooie nuts and bolts how the text on non HD TV was like a millimeter big

That and Dead Rising.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Guess what, if your game requires someone to read a short story's worth of text before they can feel engaged with the mechanics or be effective, that's a big game design problem that needs to be fixed.

And yeah apparently MHW is the new Dark Souls of thread derails. poptart fairy is being an unbelievable massive fuckhead about it too, and is probably who I'm going to think of when i imagine Monster Hunter players from now on

Son of Thunderbeast has a new favorite as of 19:52 on Feb 13, 2018

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Calaveron posted:

I got my first HD tv because I couldn't read the text in Forza.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

gently caress, I just edited that out because it was a bad post. I am shamed

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Olive! posted:

That and Dead Rising.

Trying to look at a minimap on Dynasty Warriors...6(? Whichever one was first on the Xbox 360) on an SDTV was a loving nightmare. Just small blobby things all over the place, trying to find your blobby thing was a pain. Gave me a whopper of a headache when I played for more than half an hour, too.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

please feel free to continually misrepresent what i said

It's exactly how it came across :shrug:

HaB posted:

Right?

Plus we both said straight up we played the tutorials.

Not sure why y'all can't just go "eh. I guess it's not for you, then." instead of trying to argue me out of my opinion.

My favorite game is Dark Souls, but I recommend it to almost no one, because first and foremost I realize it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Also: lol at "20 minutes to complete a mission" and "20 minutes to fight a boss" being "basically the same".

In Mass Effect 2/3, 20 minutes to complete a mission is fine. I am running all over the freakin galaxy. I'm pretty sure the longest boss fight I can recall having in a game was first time I fought Defiled Amygdala in Bloodborne, which I considered a HUGE slog and took like 8 minutes.

I have no interesting in padding the boss fight with extra time chasing it through the woods or picking up poo poo I might need along the way. I'd rather have it be EITHER a mission or a boss fight, not some weird amalgam of both. Could it be that MH:W isn't for me? No. My preferences and opinions are wrong because....

If you've only played a fraction of low rank then you're still in the tutorial. Many people consider all of low rank the tutorial, which I think is extreme but the sentiment isn't exactly wrong. You've had to engage with 10% of the complexity of the game to win at that point.

Monster hunter is and always has been a boss fight game. Boss fights are missions. If you don't want missions comprised of boss fights or somehow think those need to be considered two different things, you picked the wrong game and it's not for you.

People go after other complaints because they very often clearly come down to mindset issues. I had mindset issues with both my first monster hunter and my first dark souls game, and had really bad experiences with them. In both cases I knew I had to be missing something so I went online, found just enough to nudge me in the right direction, and they instantly clicked.

With monster hunter tri I died twice on the first monster and it took 35 minutes to kill, which was miserable and seemed way off. I went on a forum and said "hey I died twice to the great jaggi, what am I missing" and someone literally just said "dodge dodge dodge." Turned out my dumb self had never played anything harder than zelda so of course I had the wrong mindset for a game that expected you to actually dodge and pay attention. Eventually the jaggi was a 5-minute speed bump.

In dark souls 1 I alternated having fun and completely hating the game anytime I got to a boss, and after I got stonewalled on a boss I wasn't enjoying for the third time, I was ready to quit. I looked up a video of the fight, realized that I simply needed to stop being afraid of strafing next to the giant monster instead of cowering where all its attacks would hit me, and won my next try. I never got stuck again and had a great time.

Monhun and souls are now two of my favorite series, but I hated them starting out because of my mindset. I've read countless other people say they turned around on them in similar ways. Anytime someone describes monhun as stabbing something in the "ankles," "shins," etc for a half hour, you know that's what their problem is.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

i know this is more for the sister thread but i just want to counteract a little of all of my bitching: the armor in MHW looks pretty loving cool and almost makes me want to persist just to play dressup

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

gently caress, I just edited that out because it was a bad post. I am shamed

No worries, I got you :) edited out

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Kruller posted:

I got my first HD tv because I couldn't read the text in Forza.

This graph tells you why text in games got annoyingly small. You're supposed to buy a really really big tv.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i remember dead rising, shame they didnt do any more after off the record. set up so much at the end of case west, too. weird that they never followed up on it but then kept making spinoff games

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Guess what, if your game requires someone to read a short story's worth of text

Good news, MHW is not one of those games.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
MHW has reminded me of this, but this goes for all games: There needs to be a way to tell NPCs to shut the mouth about whatever main story quest I have next. Especially if the game has side quests and the like. Go out and do sidequest, come back to base and be reminded about the next quest. Ignore it and do another side quest, come back home and get a reminder about the main quest. Save and quit. Come back later, be reminded about the quest as soon as you load it up.

Game, when I want to advance the main story I'll SELECT THE MAIN STORY QUEST OK?!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Digirat posted:

It's exactly how it came across :shrug:

If you've only played a fraction of low rank then you're still in the tutorial. Many people consider all of low rank the tutorial, which I think is extreme but the sentiment isn't exactly wrong. You've had to engage with 10% of the complexity of the game to win at that point.

Monster hunter is and always has been a boss fight game. Boss fights are missions. If you don't want missions comprised of boss fights or somehow think those need to be considered two different things, you picked the wrong game and it's not for you.

People go after other complaints because they very often clearly come down to mindset issues. I had mindset issues with both my first monster hunter and my first dark souls game, and had really bad experiences with them. In both cases I knew I had to be missing something so I went online, found just enough to nudge me in the right direction, and they instantly clicked.

With monster hunter tri I died twice on the first monster and it took 35 minutes to kill, which was miserable and seemed way off. I went on a forum and said "hey I died twice to the great jaggi, what am I missing" and someone literally just said "dodge dodge dodge." Turned out my dumb self had never played anything harder than zelda so of course I had the wrong mindset for a game that expected you to actually dodge and pay attention. Eventually the jaggi was a 5-minute speed bump.

In dark souls 1 I alternated having fun and completely hating the game anytime I got to a boss, and after I got stonewalled on a boss I wasn't enjoying for the third time, I was ready to quit. I looked up a video of the fight, realized that I simply needed to stop being afraid of strafing next to the giant monster instead of cowering where all its attacks would hit me, and won my next try. I never got stuck again and had a great time.

Monhun and souls are now two of my favorite series, but I hated them starting out because of my mindset. I've read countless other people say they turned around on them in similar ways. Anytime someone describes monhun as stabbing something in the "ankles," "shins," etc for a half hour, you know that's what their problem is.

Sometimes in minesweeper I get frustrated because you get into a situation where you literally can't know which spot holds the mine and you just have to guess. I get that this may be a realistic interpretation of what it may have been like in a minesweeper, never knowing if you were about to come in contact with a mine or if you were safe or not. It can really ratchet up the tension. Sometimes as the game is coming to a close, but the clock is ticking upwards towards my record time, I get a thrill as I start making quicker and quicker decisions in an attempt to beat my time. This excitement is what keeps me coming back to the game.

This thrill, however, is ruined when I run into one of these situations. It's really a guessing game. RNG shouldn't be a part of minesweeper like that, and it really ruins the experience for me to see a great run on pace for a new record to be ruined by a moment of guesswork in what is otherwise a really clean, logical game.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
My first real exposure to Monster Hunter fans was a bunch of them harassing a journalist for writing that the game's campaign "only" had 50 hours of gameplay even though it was a direct quote from the game's director and was referring to the comparatively huge amounts of multiplayer and postgame content, I had no idea that was representative of them as a whole until this thread.

#99 lmao

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I love how Three Olives and fishmech are still climbing the charts. I didn't even know fishmech still posts. Truly they are winning at the Something Awful Forums

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Imagine being bitter enough that even after multiple re-regs you still try to score sick owns with that list.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Leal posted:

MHW has reminded me of this, but this goes for all games: There needs to be a way to tell NPCs to shut the mouth about whatever main story quest I have next. Especially if the game has side quests and the like. Go out and do sidequest, come back to base and be reminded about the next quest. Ignore it and do another side quest, come back home and get a reminder about the main quest. Save and quit. Come back later, be reminded about the quest as soon as you load it up.

Game, when I want to advance the main story I'll SELECT THE MAIN STORY QUEST OK?!

There isn't always a main story quest though, you advance by doing investigations or finding blue footprints on expeditions

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Leal posted:

I remember Farcry 4, being really bad for this. Every time you loaded up your game, or possibly even fast-travelled, you'd start up a minute-long conversation with someone via radio that first played when you completed the previous story mission, only now it played whenever you loaded something. It was so loving annoying.

Calaveron posted:

There isn't always a main story quest though, you advance by doing investigations or finding blue footprints on expeditions

"Hey partner, we should look for some more signs of the monster! Do a mission, or go on an expedition to find them" or some variation thereof everytime you entered the hub.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Morpheus posted:

I remember Farcry 4, being really bad for this. Every time you loaded up your game, or possibly even fast-travelled, you'd start up a minute-long conversation with someone via radio that first played when you completed the previous story mission, only now it played whenever you loaded something. It was so loving annoying.

"Hey partner, we should look for some more signs of the monster! Do a mission, or go on an expedition to find them" or some variation thereof everytime you entered the hub.

Yeah because maybe someone stops playing for a while then forgets what they were supposed to be doing to progress and just stop playing due to frustration

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Calaveron posted:

This system sucks rear end btw. Probably my least favorite thing about MHW.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Calaveron posted:

Yeah because maybe someone stops playing for a while then forgets what they were supposed to be doing to progress and just stop playing due to frustration

It shouldn't be mandatory dialogue I think the point here is.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Calaveron posted:

I understand that part, for sure. But how about a journal of some sort, something to flip through or even a choice to listen to previous stuff, rather than something that needs to be listened to every time you load a game. It also plays whenever you respawn after dying.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Also endgame the game goes the total opposite direction and doesn't tell you that you need to grind out hunter ranks in order to fight tougher monsters

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Calaveron posted:

Also endgame the game goes the total opposite direction and doesn't tell you that you need to grind out hunter ranks in order to fight tougher monsters

Hunter Rank in particular is the most byzantine thing.

You start out at HR 1, and go up every time you complete a tough story battle that is a huge milestone - particular battles, often with cutscenes that unlock new stuff in the game. So by the end of the game you've put in like 40 hours and are HR 14 or something.

Then you beat the final boss, and you get a message that the Hunter Rank is 'unlocked', suddenly you zoom up to HR 29 or something, and then the game treats it more like an experience level, where it just goes up as you do more missions, regardless of what the missions are. Like....why? Why do it that way?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
On NPCs nagging you to go to the story, the third Harry Potter game had that in spades - exploring the school, looking for chests and cards an poo poo, then Hermione's all "There's nothing left to do here..." and I'm like "DID YOU NOT SEE THIS CHEST HERMIONE!? There is plenty left to do here. Go to bed if you want to, I'm exploring here..."

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Calaveron posted:

There's gotta be some kind of happy medium, is the thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

i've been really into path of exile lately but i still wish the classes weren't gender-locked

Given the game is funded by microtransactions, you'd think they'd have one for this of all things.

I mean yes, it'd mean new character models but they already have armour that can fit to any of the character models so if the female Duelist was just a palette swap of one of the female classes, that'd still be good.

Danger - Octopus! has a new favorite as of 20:42 on Feb 13, 2018