Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

thatguy posted:

Imagine how much better the thread would have been if talking about LOD was banned instead of anime.
Or better yet, banning both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Ban the thread

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Mr.Tophat posted:

I've been shitposting for the last five hours

and I didn't come here to do it

I got the withdrawal shakes, but like, not the shakes, like the opposite of that in a strange, new, exciting and thrilling way, like if you were did a load of acid when you're used to mushrooms and when you come back to mushrooms you're like

I remember you

Is any of this getting through to you? Is any of this making any sense at all?

gently caress yes

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Mr Fronts posted:

THE TRIAL

Good morning, Judge, your honour.
Crytek will plainly show
Chris Roberts who now stands before you
Was caught red-handed selling spaceships.
Selling spaceships of a high-fidelitous nature;
This will not do.

(call the warlord)

I always said I'd totally call it
In my July blog post.
If they'd let me loving finish
I'd have burned it down, the end.
But my hands were tired from all
the tweeting and the blogging.
Roberts got away with millions,
Let me revisit how this all started (not MY choice, but now it's war) back in 2015, when their bullshit refund (bad move) closed my account without my having asked for <...4230 words deleted...>

Spaceships,
Gullible nerds will buy spaceships,
We're going whaling.
We keep pretending we're writing a game.
Spaceships,
gullible nerds will buy spaceships.

(call the wife)

You little poo poo you're in it now,
I hope they throw away the key.
You should have put my name
ahead of Gary O, but no!
You had to take forever,
now they'll never see my A-list acting.
Vic's Mom is beneath my station,
Wait, where'd that scene go?!?

(call the master of ships)

Baaaaaaaaaabe!
Come to Benny, baby, let me hold you
In my arms.
M'lud I only wanted him to
remake Wing Commander.
Why'd he ban me from the building?
Judge, your honor, let me feel his hair.

Spaceships,
Millions of dollars of spaceships,
tanks, bikes and land plots.
We even made a door for the cafe,
which looked like a...
spaceship,
gullible nerds will buy spaceships.

(the judge)

The ownage from this Ortwin guy is
incontrovertible,
there's no need to hear
arguments at all.
In all my years of judging
I have never heard before
a smackdown so amazing
it transcends the rule of law.
The way you rekt the critics,
with your canny analytics,
Fills me with the urge to buy an Idris!

Since, Cry-REKT, you're a bunch of no-good geeks,
I sentence you to watch an episode of Bugsmashers every week!
TEAR DOWN THE CODE!
TEAR DOWN THE CODE!
TEAR DOWN THE CODE!
TEAR DOWN THE CODE!

This is a good post and I am appreciative that you posted it. I feel very strongly that others should look at this post as well and enjoy it. For that reason, I am quoting this post and posting it again.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

D_Smart posted:

It's false. And the manual was about 120 pages. They shipped a butchered version that was under 30 pages because they didn't want to freak gamers out. This despite the fact that the game was already billed as a hardcore simulation.

So, you're saying that you DID NOT attack a Coca-Cola machine?

And did BC even have 120 pages of poo poo worth to do?

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

D_Smart posted:

Universal Combat series is the spiritual successor to Battlecruiser series. I branched it off after adding new tech, including fps etc. More here.

It's currently on Steam for $9.99 and I am currently working on updating it through DLC purchased separately. The LP stream above is from TLC (see below). I played for 6hrs straight. No bugs. No crashes. No performance issues. And I didn't even get to cover 50% of the game's features.

UCCE - Lyrius Conflict (DLC)

http://3000ad.com/games/universal-combat-lyrius-conflict/

http://3000ad.com/ucce30-changelog/

UCCE:

http://3000ad.com/games/universal-combat-collectors-edition2-2015/

http://3000ad.com/ucce20-changelog/

Any goon discounts?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Derek what is this about beating up a Coke machine. This is the first time I'm hearing this story.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

ManofManyAliases posted:

And did BC even have 120 pages of poo poo worth to do?

Let's not use manual length as a marker. Birth of the Federation got 197 pages and that was poo poo.

ManofManyAliases posted:

Any goon discounts?

A whore at any price is still a whore. Cash in a bitcoin and support the independent developer.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Bootcha posted:

I want to share thoughts about what's going to happen ITYOOL 2018:

5) People are really disappointed by Sunk Cost Galaxy, but still prefer it to reading Derek's blogs which strangely will have more actual info but gently caress if anyone can be bothered to read it. SCG gets a mention on Kotaku and RPS, Polygon and PCGamer summarize like they knew all along. Eurogamer retro plays Wing Commander 3 and has epiphany.

:negative:

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
I personally find LOD fascinating. Even though nice people in the thread have tried to explain it to me, I still don't understand what it's supposed to be. I've gone to the steam page and looked. The same with Battlecruiser and all that; I'm still struggling to understand what genre it falls in or who it's for.

So I guess what I'm saying is I'll take posts about LOD over posts about anime any day.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

thatguy posted:

Imagine how much better the thread would have been if talking about LOD was banned instead of anime.

free anime

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Oh look the fun police.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Danknificent posted:

I personally find LOD fascinating. Even though nice people in the thread have tried to explain it to me, I still don't understand what it's supposed to be. I've gone to the steam page and looked. The same with Battlecruiser and all that; I'm still struggling to understand what genre it falls in or who it's for.

So I guess what I'm saying is I'll take posts about LOD over posts about anime any day.

Have you ever worried about your catapults being cleared quick enough to get another BARCAP into the air? Have you ever done a quick back of the envelope calculation to figure out the fuel consumption of a tank column? Have you ever had to reduce energy allocations to HET your way out of a hellbore attack? Have you ever hankered after a game where you could be seriously in the poo poo but limp your rear end back to base?

It's a grognardy game for grognards. Some of the finest simulations out there have the worst loving interfaces because that's not why you bought them. I'm a huge fan of CMANO because it does a fairly decent job of simulating air and sea warfare, but it's literally a windows application. Combat flight sims get even worse, because the amount of bullshit that you'll put up with to fly a fidelitous Bf-109 is quite high if the flight model is sound.

Hell, we still play Silent Hunter III because it's the best wartime sub simulator there actually is. So Derek's stuff _appeals_ to that segment of the population.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Oh look the fun police.

It's more the fun-sharia. You have to voluntarily follow thatguy's rules rather than their being mandated.

Hav fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 13, 2018

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

alphabettitouretti posted:

Derek what is this about beating up a Coke machine. This is the first time I'm hearing this story.

It's rubbish invented by Take Two execs in an attempt to hurt my credibility after I went public that they had shipped the game knowing that it was not ready. It was also the first time that I took legal action against a publisher. And won.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

Danknificent posted:

Me too. Derek, would you be generous enough to elevator pitch LOD for us? Honest to God, it's not clear from gameplay videos or the website.

Like:

In Mario Brothers the goal is to get to the end of the stages before the timer runs out. The challenge is from hazards and enemies that kill you. You win by avoiding the hazards and completing all the stages. You lose by running out of lives.

In Counter Strike the goal is to defeat the opposing team by either 1) killing all the opposing team members or 2) completing some kind of objective before the clock runs out. The challenge is surviving the hostility of the opposing players. You win if your team survives or completes your objective within the time limit. You lose if the opposing team survives or completes their objective with the time limit.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Danknificent posted:

It's a combined arms online-only game. It's played primarily in fps mode, but also has air/space craft, as well as ground vehicles and naval craft.

It's like Planetside without the complexity.

----------------

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Hav posted:

Have you ever worried about your catapults being cleared quick enough to get another BARCAP into the air? Have you ever done a quick back of the envelope calculation to figure out the fuel consumption of a tank column? Have you ever had to reduce energy allocations to HET your way out of a hellbore attack? Have you ever hankered after a game where you could be seriously in the poo poo but limp your rear end back to base?

It's a grognardy game for grognards. Some of the finest simulations out there have the worst loving interfaces because that's not why you bought them. I'm a huge fan of CMANO because it does a fairly decent job of simulating air and sea warfare, but it's literally a windows application. Combat flight sims get even worse, because the amount of bullshit that you'll put up with to fly a fidelitous Bf-109 is quite high if the flight model is sound.

Hell, we still play Silent Hunter III because it's the best wartime sub simulator there actually is. So Derek's stuff _appeals_ to that segment of the population.

It's more the fun-sharia. You have to voluntarily follow thatguy's rules rather than their being mandated.

Precisely. I think the manual is also a dead giveaway :grin:

----------------

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Preen Dog posted:

Me too. Derek, would you be generous enough to elevator pitch LOD for us? Honest to God, it's not clear from gameplay videos or the website.

Like:

In Mario Brothers the goal is to get to the end of the stages before the timer runs out. The challenge is from hazards and enemies that kill you. You win by avoiding the hazards and completing all the stages. You lose by running out of lives.

In Counter Strike the goal is to defeat the opposing team by either 1) killing all the opposing team members or 2) completing some kind of objective before the clock runs out. The challenge is surviving the hostility of the opposing players. You win if your team survives or completes your objective within the time limit. You lose if the opposing team survives or completes their objective with the time limit.

Sure. Read all three tabs (About/Key Features/Player Guide)

http://lodgame.com/info/

----------------

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

SomethingJones posted:

Culling All Devs

:golfclap:

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
I've got everyone on ignore

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Oh look the fun police.

D_Smart posted:

It's rubbish invented by Take Two execs in an attempt to hurt my credibility after I went public that they had shipped the game knowing that it was not ready. It was also the first time that I took legal action against a publisher. And won.

D_Smart posted:

It's a combined arms online-only game. It's played primarily in fps mode, but also has air/space craft, as well as ground vehicles and naval craft.

D_Smart posted:

Precisely. I think the manual is also a dead giveaway :grin:

D_Smart posted:

Sure. Read all three tabs (About/Key Features/Player Guide)

http://lodgame.com/info/
:negative:

zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line

D_Smart posted:

A d_smart game with less complexity than PlanetSide? Is that even a thing.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Star Citizen: Beautiful Parpage, the Norwegian Blue.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Now we just need to wait for the same people to attempt to explain to Derek that his game is, in fact, bad.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Then, I can tell those people that their posts are, in fact, bad.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Then, people can tell me that my posts are, in fact, bad.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Everything is bad.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Then, in a few pages someone can bring randomly bring up LOD again and we can repeat the process.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Does Hearts of Iron seem a bit lightweight?
Do you find Dwarf Fortress's interface too intuitive?

If so, then Derek Smart has the game for YOU!

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
Thread is good

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

thatguy posted:

Then, people can tell me that my posts are, in fact, bad.

You're post ain't bad. They're awful.Get it?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

thatguy posted:

Then, in a few pages someone can bring randomly bring up LOD again and we can repeat the process.

you're our last line of defense

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

zcrow posted:

A d_smart game with less complexity than PlanetSide? Is that even a thing.

I know, right? Take a look at the docs :grin:

http://lodgame.com/docs/

Honestly, simplicity was the impetus behind my designing that game back in 2010. I felt that the market for my style of games was pretty much non-existent now. And having grown older and semi-retired, I knew that I wasn't going to be able to spend another 4-5 years making another complex game, while taking the risk that it would make its money back. In fact, that was the other reason why we did the RTS spin-off game, Line Of Defense Tactics using Unity.

It was also supposed to be my last major game before completely retiring from the biz.

With the port to UE4 having its own challenges, as I did with LOD Tactics, I've also been working on another spin-off game which will definitely launch before LOD itself. That being a battle royale type game using the same assets, world etc.

----------------

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

If this thread is exclusively bad how can Star Citizen be anything but good?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/7xbm42/alternative_minor_income_possibility_for_cig/

:allears:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

EmesiS posted:

If this thread is exclusively bad how can Star Citizen be anything but good?

I'm glad you asked, and this is the third of the four balls on the edge of a cliff.

And mom pays the power bill.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Make Derek make a 3000 AD games thread in Games and he can only post stuff about his games in there.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

thatguy posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

:lol: Marching Powder gets his just rewards.

Does anyone know if RSI/CIG/insertothercompanynamehere is going to E3 this year if they are skipping Gamescom. Hard to believe that the best game in the universe would miss such press events :ohdear:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Jobbo_Fett posted:

:lol: Marching Powder gets his just rewards.

Does anyone know if RSI/CIG/insertothercompanynamehere is going to E3 this year if they are skipping Gamescom. Hard to believe that the best game in the universe would miss such press events :ohdear:

E3 is in early June, they'll still be working on Star Citizen Alpha 3.1, so nothing to show!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Codezombie posted:

Does Hearts of Iron seem a bit lightweight?
Do you find Dwarf Fortress's interface too intuitive?

If so, then Derek Smart has the game for YOU!

I think DF might be the best game I have ever played. Does this mean I have autism?

Also, just lol at you if you don't have every DF command committed to muscle memory.