Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The Amnesia Collection (as in Dark Descent and Machine for Pigs) is free for 44 more hours: https://www.humblebundle.com/store/amnesia-collection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Cortex Command is free to keep if you grab it now. http://store.steampowered.com/app/209670/Cortex_Command/

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
That's a great game if you have the patience to mod two dozen new armies in, grab a second player to sit on the couch next to, and just explode each other's faces.

Slowflake
Aug 18, 2010

Don't forget waiting 10+ minutes for your modded to hell game install to load... Did they ever optimize this? Never ran well on my poo poo.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
They eventually patched the actor limit to be "effectively" gone - by which they mean made the character limit absurdly high so that you couldn't max it out staffing an armed base. Still takes a solid ten minutes to load a good setup though, some things are universal.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Dead Space is free on Origin, still very good I'd imagine. https://www.origin.com/can/en-us/store/dead-space/dead-space/standard-edition

Just remember to turn off the vsync.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
dead space is still very worth a play, yes

the dude space sequels maybe not so much, but dead space, fo SHO.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Coolguye posted:

dead space is still very worth a play, yes

the dude space sequels maybe not so much, but dead space, fo SHO.

2’s really good as well. Never played 3 but I’m disappointed there hasn’t been a sequel, I read where they took the story and I would have liked to see where it went from there.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

GOG has The King of Fighters 2002 free right now too, although I'm told it's not a very good version of it in that you can't rebind keys or something? Haven't tried myself. There's always fightcade though.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I liked DS2 just as much as DS1, if not more. It's the Aliens to the first game's Alien in terms of ratcheting up the action. Plus the first game stopped being scary just as soon as you upgraded some of its ludicrously satisfying weaponry.

Seriously, those two have some of my favourite sci-fi guns in video games, they're just so chunky and fun to use.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Mordja posted:

I liked DS2 just as much as DS1, if not more. It's the Aliens to the first game's Alien in terms of ratcheting up the action. Plus the first game stopped being scary just as soon as you upgraded some of its ludicrously satisfying weaponry.

Seriously, those two have some of my favourite sci-fi guns in video games, they're just so chunky and fun to use.

DS2's gameplay and design are rock solid, and from a technical standpoint it's a vastly better port than DS1.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I played DS1 for the first time recently; I highly recommend going to the pc gaming wiki/wsgf articles and doing some of the recommended tweaks, field of view especially. I know that having it narrow was an aesthetic and gameplay choice but drat it's unplayable on a monitor, was clearly a game designed to be played on a large screen across the room. There's also some really fucky stuff going on with mouse movement, but there is something you can install to fix that too. Was pretty decent overall.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

aniviron posted:

I played DS1 for the first time recently; I highly recommend going to the pc gaming wiki/wsgf articles and doing some of the recommended tweaks, field of view especially. I know that having it narrow was an aesthetic and gameplay choice but drat it's unplayable on a monitor, was clearly a game designed to be played on a large screen across the room. There's also some really fucky stuff going on with mouse movement, but there is something you can install to fix that too. Was pretty decent overall.

The fucky mouse movement is usually related to having vsync on, turning it off will fix it for most but not all people.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The fucky mouse movement is usually related to having vsync on, turning it off will fix it for most but not all people.

There's more to it than that. I'll just link the file that fixes it, but effectively the sensitivity is framerate dependent, differs between the X and Y axes on the screen, has a dead zone regardless of input method, and acceleration. Turning vsync off won't fix all of that.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
Starcraft 2 is now a F2P (free to play) game & is available for download on the Blizzard website. You just have to make an account with them. It doesn't even seem like they verify whether any of the identifying info is true or not. Also, the first person shooter "Black Squad" is a free game that is available on STEAM. It's pretty fun stuff! I know people think free games aren't as good but I'd say it puts up some serious competition with the Call of Duty franchise

http://store.steampowered.com/app/550650/Black_Squad/

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
I played DS1 many years ago and despite the vsync mouse sensitivity fix I felt the biggest enemy was my mouse still being slow. Simply couldn't turn around quick enough to face the enemies. Considered it a crappy console port and moved on to a different game.

Doens't look free with the in-app purchases.

We tend not to discuss freemium games itt since those are pretty numerous and easy to find.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I discovered yesterday when I fired up Gwent for the first time in several months:

You can get your eighth copy of The Witcher: Enhanced Edition just by logging into Gwent using GoG's Galaxy client. I literally have gotten about three free copies over the past few years but in case you don't have it on GoG somehow, you can get it that way.

I sent this one to my girlfriend's email. Happy Valentine's Day, here's a game that literally turns your sexual conquests into objects.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Also free on GoG for the next 23 hours: King of Fighters 2002 most notable for not being King of Fighters '98

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

2’s really good as well. Never played 3 but I’m disappointed there hasn’t been a sequel, I read where they took the story and I would have liked to see where it went from there.

DS3 is a surprisingly good game, but the horror is almost always killed by the fact you have another person around*. It has some legitimately creepy parts during the optional co-op only areas and is honestly worth a play if you have a buddy to play with.

* Also by the upgradable guns. It's really hard to scare me when I'm packing a rocket launcher that I can detonate at my feet with no self-damage.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

bbcisdabomb posted:

DS3 is a surprisingly good game, but the horror is almost always killed by the fact you have another person around*. It has some legitimately creepy parts during the optional co-op only areas and is honestly worth a play if you have a buddy to play with.

* Also by the upgradable guns. It's really hard to scare me when I'm packing a rocket launcher that I can detonate at my feet with no self-damage.

Haven't played DS2 but that was very true in DS1 for sure. It seemed very easy to get into an out-of-control power loop where I sold extra health because I didn't need it, so my guns were better than expected. This meant I took even less damage and used less ammo than normal so I could sell more of both to upgrade even more, etc etc. As my roommate commented, "I think the scary music is playing for the monsters, not for you. They're running away from you, this is a horror game for them, not for you."

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

bbcisdabomb posted:

The best part about playing DS3 online with a friend is going through one of the co-op areas and hearing your friend freak out about the room for you to reply "what, i don't see that".

That was a cool feature. It happened in Kane and Lynch too, although that was mainly my friend cackling while he shot down the "cops" that he could pretty clearly see were civvy's on my screen

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Dungeons 2 is currently free on GOG. Not too bad of a Dungeon Keeper clone, with a bit of Warcraft 3 no-base levels put into the mix.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

THE BAR posted:

Dungeons 2 is currently free on GOG. Not too bad of a Dungeon Keeper clone, with a bit of Warcraft 3 no-base levels put into the mix.

Gog has been skull-loving me with my own backlog lately. This madness isn't going to stop, is it?

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

treat posted:

Gog has been skull-loving me with my own backlog lately. This madness isn't going to stop, is it?

I have nothing to add except a heartfelt :same:.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
The Amnesia Collection is free again/still: http://store.steampowered.com/sub/252184/

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
So Twitch Prime is giving out some games per month for their prime member starting tommorow.

I register an amazon account and use the prime free trial to get the Twitch prime for free.

Just need to remember to unsubscribe them later.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Reporting the twitch prime from Amazon Trial worked. I got:

Superhot
Shadow Tactics
Tales from Candlekeep
Oxenfree
Mr. Shifty

Next month I should get on April 1:

Tales From the Borderlands
SteamWorld Dig 2
Kingsway
Tokyo 42
Dubwars

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Nyaa posted:

Reporting the twitch prime from Amazon Trial worked. I got:

Superhot
Shadow Tactics
Tales from Candlekeep
Oxenfree
Mr. Shifty

Next month I should get on April 1:

Tales From the Borderlands
SteamWorld Dig 2
Kingsway
Tokyo 42
Dubwars

I was trying to sign up for that and forgot my username. Turns out I have four twitch usernames and only two are mine. So I disabled two randoms accounts. Dicks.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Do you want to be edgy 90s off-brand Shadowman? Of course you do. Free for the next 2 days. The Darkness II

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Unhappy Meal posted:

Do you want to be edgy 90s off-brand Shadowman? Of course you do. Free for the next 2 days. The Darkness II

Game has some really solid shooting and kickass voicework from Mike Patton as the Darkness.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Game has some really solid shooting and kickass voicework from Mike Patton as the Darkness.

And a really good co-op mode.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

bbcisdabomb posted:

And a really good co-op mode.

One of the best I can think of. It’s an entire different campaign with 4 different characters that all play differently from each other and aren’t just using a subset of Jackie’s powers. You can solo it, too, which is appreciated.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

One of the best I can think of. It’s an entire different campaign with 4 different characters that all play differently from each other and aren’t just using a subset of Jackie’s powers. You can solo it, too, which is appreciated.

the co-op campaign characters are weirdly all ethnic stereotypes

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Humble Bundle continues their quest to fill up your library with games you mean to play but never do. Free for the next 2 days: Spec Ops: The Line

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Unhappy Meal posted:

Humble Bundle continues their quest to fill up your library with games you mean to play but never do. Free for the next 2 days: Spec Ops: The Line

This is so literal. I bought that game with the intent of playing it before Giant Bomb's GotY discussion the year it came out and, clearly, that was wasted money...

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Here's a code for it: 5XGFQ-68KX0-TVEVK

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Someone snagged it.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Which is loving hilarious because they can just get their own...

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
removed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The game is literally free, just go to the site and get it