Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

Apologies for the crosspost, friends:

I was briefly reading about amp simulators and came across the Behringer TM300 which is incredibly cheap but also seems to have favorable, though somewhat sparse, reviews, nearly all of which seem to be based on playing guitar through it. I am strictly limited to $50 spending money in the near-term by my wife and her budgeting activity, so at like $25 it's very attractive. Anybody played around with one with synths?

(Or, in the context of the thread happy to hear about use with guitars and whether it seems like it might be usable in interesting ways with synths based on your experience.)

that's their sansamp knockoff. they do a lot of eq shaping focused on midrange to emulate a guitar speaker (so heavy roll-off around 100hz and 5k) so more likely it'll just make your synth sound like it's coming through an am radio. probably useful for lead/melody stuff

here's a dude using a poly 61 through a sansamp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrcsAXJGTKA&t=227s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
I too pine for the Black Cat, but this is so much more affordable. I'm surprised that something made by Behringer is actually decent. Thanks for the heads up!

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
It's not the most subtle thing in the world. Maybe it's just my pickups (one guitar has EMGs and the other has hot ceramic humbuckers) but I haven't had much luck getting sounds other than Electric Wizard style earth-moving annihilation out of mine. I'm not complaining too much since Electric Wizard style earth-moving annihilation is mostly what I wanted. There might be some magical combination of volume knob and pick attack that'll get "Purple Haze" instead but I haven't found it yet. Of course, YMMV.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Anime Reference posted:

It's not the most subtle thing in the world. Maybe it's just my pickups (one guitar has EMGs and the other has hot ceramic humbuckers) but I haven't had much luck getting sounds other than Electric Wizard style earth-moving annihilation out of mine. I'm not complaining too much since Electric Wizard style earth-moving annihilation is mostly what I wanted. There might be some magical combination of volume knob and pick attack that'll get "Purple Haze" instead but I haven't found it yet. Of course, YMMV.

welp, sold.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

chiming back in after boost chat a couple weeks ago to say i got the EP Booster and it is loving incredible, nicest boost i've ever used.

one question for fellow boost users: before or after delay? i've been running it after dirt but before delay/reverb (so, second to last in my chain basically). anyone do it different?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

chiming back in after boost chat a couple weeks ago to say i got the EP Booster and it is loving incredible, nicest boost i've ever used.

one question for fellow boost users: before or after delay? i've been running it after dirt but before delay/reverb (so, second to last in my chain basically). anyone do it different?

I always have my boost before any dirt or delay. If it’s being used as a clean boost during solos after is fine but unless it’s first you’re missing out on what in my opinion is the main reason to use a boost. Pushing your amp a little and coloring the tone/feel. Using an always on boost is a main part of my sound. Makes all of my delays and reverbs sound so much better.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

My general signal chain philosophy is:

- guitar
- Anything that does heavy tracking-based processing, like octavers or EHX's organ simulators
- filters/wah
- gain (fuzz/distortion/drive/boost)
- front of amp (if using an effects loop)
- modulation
- delay
- reverb
- looper
- FX return/front of amp

I find this produces the most predictable results, but sometimes you just wanna experiment and go nuts, and that's when I shuffle things around.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

I always have my boost before any dirt or delay. If it’s being used as a clean boost during solos after is fine but unless it’s first you’re missing out on what in my opinion is the main reason to use a boost. Pushing your amp a little and coloring the tone/feel. Using an always on boost is a main part of my sound. Makes all of my delays and reverbs sound so much better.

yeah i'm using mine as an always on thing to, but for my distortion i use a RAT on high gain and putting the boost after it gives it extra focus and bite, putting it beforehand just makes it too buzzy and noisy for me.

i also recently switched out my recent RAT2 for a '90s RAT with the LM308 chip and oh my god that thing into the EP booster is heaven

edit: my full chain as of now, for reference

Boss Noise Suppressor (used in a loop with the Phase 90 and RAT, i've been using this less and less though as i like playing with feedback)
Script Phase 90
RAT
EP Booster
Aqua Puss delay
Hardwire RV7 reverb

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jan 10, 2018

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

Are there any cheaper clones of the EP booster?

Paying £146 ($197) seems like a lot of money for a boost but I'd like to give one a bash. They don't seem to come up often used over here either so that's not a certainty :(

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

UncleBlazer posted:

Paying £146 ($197) seems like a lot of money for a boost but I'd like to give one a bash. They don't seem to come up often used over here either so that's not a certainty :(

That is insane. Lol $200. For a boost that has two transistors.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

UncleBlazer posted:

I have a cheap chinese one called 'xp booster'

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

That is insane. Lol $200. For a boost that has two transistors.

Yeah we get absolutely shafted on some pedals from the US. For example the Tonal Recal for us is £399 - $540.20 is beyond what I could ever justify on an analog delay.

Just taken a look at the EP booster schematic and I can make that. gently caress paying big money.

massive spider posted:

I have a cheap chinese one called 'xp booster'

That brings back nostalgia of teenage mmorpgs and it's so cheap it rivals building it myself... hmmmm

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

You can make it in an afternoon even if you're inexperienced and, hell, you could make the even better ZVex SHO at the same time in the same afternoon. ;)

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
hi kids, brian wampler here to teach you how to stick it to the man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWTrXkQS-50

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

The Muppets On PCP posted:

hi kids, brian wampler here to teach you how to stick it to the man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWTrXkQS-50

Nice of him to teach anyone how to be a boutique overdrive manufacturer.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Saw the OpAmp Big Muff at local guitar shop today and couldn't resist. Got it home and... HOLY poo poo. It sounds so HUGE. I'm in love. Total bargain at the $80 I paid for it.
Sounds totally different from my other 2 fuzzes: a '76 Ram's Head clone and a Z.Vex Mastotron silicon fuzz.
Can never have too many fuzz pedals.

Also: B. Wampler is the man. Really entertaining and informative videos on his channel.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
My count to 5 comes in on Friday :kiddo:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Not sure if this is a better question for here or the recording thread but:

If I want to plug my delay pedal into the Aux Send/Return of my Mackie mixer, do I need a re-amp box to avoid frying my pedal? I feel like i've been getting conflicting answers on this.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Naw man it'll be fine, that's exactly what sends and returns are for.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pokey Araya posted:

Naw man it'll be fine, that's exactly what sends and returns are for.

Sweet thanks! I'm new to mixers and didn't wanna have to buy another expensive box

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I just purchased the Bass Big Muff to add to my Minilogue chain which puts me at 4 pedals total. I was wondering if there is a good power solution so I don't need to plug in 4 different Adapters?

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

MrSargent posted:

I just purchased the Bass Big Muff to add to my Minilogue chain which puts me at 4 pedals total. I was wondering if there is a good power solution so I don't need to plug in 4 different Adapters?

Unless you plan on getting a bunch more pedals a one spot with a daisy chain adapter would more than likely work for you

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
What are the options out there for a ross-like compressor these days?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Splinter posted:

What are the options out there for a ross-like compressor these days?

I think this is still considered the gold standard for clones.

http://www.analogman.com/comprev.htm

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
But my wallet :(

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Keeley Compressor is also a ross clone and I see some 2-knobs on Reverb for $75, 4 knobs for a little over $100. IIRC they're basically the same circuit, it's just that on the 2-knob the attack and the input gain are trim pots on the inside instead of knobs on the outside.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Good call. At that price difference it'll be easy to be satisfied by "close enough".

e: Gonna go with the Keeley Compressor Plus for the addition of the 'blend' knob. Not much difference in price than the older 2/4 knob models either.

Splinter fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Feb 10, 2018

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Easy Sunday project that I should have done 15 years ago when I bought it.

DeArmond Model 600 volume pedal. Had the remains of the original attached cable on one side, standard jack on the other. Modded to have a standard jack and wired it back up. When I got it, I was going to stick the guts of a Crybaby into it, but never got any further than desoldering the old cable and cleaning up the terminals on the pot because I didn't have jack that was long enough to go through the cast aluminum housing. Thought of it today, dug into the junk box and found a jack. Had to widen the hole slightly, but now it's all wired up and working.

Sven
Oct 4, 2005
Just ordered one of the op amp big muff reissues. All the demo clips I've seen sounded awesome so i'm pretty hyped.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I'm looking for a tube screamer style OD that is more versatile than a straight up TS or TS clone. Something that cleans up nicely when the guitar's volume is rolled back is important to me. Anyone have any recommendations? Amp is currently a 65 DRRI, if that matters. This is what I've been considering:
  • Keeley Red Dirt / Red Dirt Mini: a Keeley modded TS with 2-4 modes (depending on size)
  • Fulltone Full Drive 2: 3 modes + a boost
  • Way Huge Green Rhino: TS clone with control over lows/mids as well as 2 modes
  • Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive: TS clone with the addition of a clean blend knob

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

Sven posted:

Just ordered one of the op amp big muff reissues. All the demo clips I've seen sounded awesome so i'm pretty hyped.

I just got the Russian muff but I’m also want the op amp muff so bad. I’m very happy with the Russian one though.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

Splinter posted:

I'm looking for a tube screamer style OD that is more versatile than a straight up TS or TS clone. Something that cleans up nicely when the guitar's volume is rolled back is important to me. Anyone have any recommendations? Amp is currently a 65 DRRI, if that matters. This is what I've been considering:
  • Keeley Red Dirt / Red Dirt Mini: a Keeley modded TS with 2-4 modes (depending on size)
  • Fulltone Full Drive 2: 3 modes + a boost
  • Way Huge Green Rhino: TS clone with control over lows/mids as well as 2 modes
  • Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive: TS clone with the addition of a clean blend knob

That new JHS bonsai may be worth checking out.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
What do you guys think of the nutube stuff?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/NuTubeScreamer?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIo8He1YSh2QIVD4NpCh0-EQUpEAAYASAAEgJ7pfD_BwE

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The Vox amps that use them sound really good.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Krustic posted:

That new JHS bonsai may be worth checking out.

Looks cool, but for that price I'd probably go for an EQD Palisades (especially used V1s). Trying to cap myself at ~$100 new or used for the time being.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Caroline Pedals Haymaker

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

It's absolutely wasted in that pedal

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
not a clone of a TS but the exh hot wax is pretty interesting and super versatile

also the mxr 77 is great even though it's based on the od1

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

whiter than a Wilco show posted:

It's absolutely wasted in that pedal

Just curious, why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Kilometers Davis posted:

Just curious, why?

There's no sonic advantage to having a tube of any kind in a ts circuit in place of a transistor. Play one side by side with a ts9 and it's pretty obvious it adds nothing at all-there's no change to the clipping or tone characteristics. I haven't opened one up but I'd bet good money the tube is subbing for a jfet or as part of a circuit replacing the Op amp. Effectively you're paying a massive mark up for a clean blend (which can be useful, true) and an ever so slightly less reliable pedal. If you drop something on the exposed nutube it's gonna cost you a good $100 get replaced lol.

I'd really like to see a pedal sized tube driven tremelo circuit or even some amp in a box stuff using nutubes. I'm basing this on less than nothing but I feel like Wampler might have something like that out this year.