Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

iirc I found it in a data storage thingie in one of the two wrecks in the bulb zone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

So, uh, how exactly do you get inside the Aurora? I've spent like half an hour now circling around it with my Seamoth (which is a very bad time, please go away leviathans) and the closest thing I've found to an entrance is the blasted open wreckage on the left end of the ship (left with your back facing the escape pod). I poked around in there, but there's a lot of weird and glitchy collision and I didn't actually find anything.

Am I just blind?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

dmboogie posted:

So, uh, how exactly do you get inside the Aurora? I've spent like half an hour now circling around it with my Seamoth (which is a very bad time, please go away leviathans) and the closest thing I've found to an entrance is the blasted open wreckage on the left end of the ship (left with your back facing the escape pod). I poked around in there, but there's a lot of weird and glitchy collision and I didn't actually find anything.

Am I just blind?
You have the right place, look for a slab that's half in, half out of the water that you can walk up. There are two entrances there, one which require propulsion cannoning some boxes out of the way. Both connect inside, if you have the appropriate tools.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Bhodi posted:

You have the right place, look for a slab that's half in, half out of the water that you can walk up. There are two entrances there, one which require propulsion cannoning some boxes out of the way. Both connect inside, if you have the appropriate tools.

The necessary tools being the repair tool and the laser cutter to explore most of it.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

dmboogie posted:

Am I just blind?

There's a sparky electric bit at the front of the ship that's the best indication of where the ramp is.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
Also, word of warning, do not run your seamoth up the ramp, park a few meters and swim. It gets stuck.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

Giant Isopod posted:

Also, word of warning, do not run your seamoth up the ramp, park a few meters and swim. It gets stuck.

I did this and was able to use the propulsion cannon to push the seamoth off.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I have my habitat builder gun thingy and I'm wondering about how I build stuff. I got that you lay a (single?) foundation tile, but then I just have corridors in my blueprint files for the moment. I have some of the scanner room, but apart from that no other rooms. Are corridors enough for me to place useful things in them?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Mrenda posted:

I have my habitat builder gun thingy and I'm wondering about how I build stuff. I got that you lay a (single?) foundation tile, but then I just have corridors in my blueprint files for the moment. I have some of the scanner room, but apart from that no other rooms. Are corridors enough for me to place useful things in them?

yep

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Mrenda posted:

Yeah, the corridors will easily contain all the things you'll want to put in them at this stage. Later you'll want to multi-purpose room which you can find in a couple of places the plot will guide you to.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Mrenda posted:

You don't even need a foundation, just start building tubes wherever. Foundations just add a bit of structural stability.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Thank god for the HUD chip, because otherwise I wouldn't have realized that those random pieces of walls that look like the other random pieces of walls were actually Cyclops fragments!

Now all I need is the vehicle upgrade console and I should be good to do some deeper dives.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

Thank god for the HUD chip, because otherwise I wouldn't have realized that those random pieces of walls that look like the other random pieces of walls were actually Cyclops fragments!

Now all I need is the vehicle upgrade console and I should be good to do some deeper dives.

Yeah, the Cyclopse hull fragments just look like a big sheet of black squares a lot of the time. It threw me off for forever.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If you hold the scanner out you'll get a HUD indicator when something you can scan is close. Its useful to just swim around wrecks with it in your hands to see what you can pick up.

Mrenda posted:

Building in this game is weird. Your initial structure needs to be close to the ground. Once you build something though, you can chain pieces of it indefinitely. You can even deconstruct the initial structure and keep build off the rest, even if they are now just floating in the water connected to nothing.

As others have mentioned, corridors have enough space for storage. Depending on where you go you might not find the actual large room for awhile, which is pretty dumb IMO. I think you should of just started with it. Its not like you can do anything particularly useful with it until you actually find room modules to install anyways.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Internet Kraken posted:

As others have mentioned, corridors have enough space for storage. Depending on where you go you might not find the actual large room for awhile, which is pretty dumb IMO. I think you should of just started with it. Its not like you can do anything particularly useful with it until you actually find room modules to install anyways.
You used to start with it. The one bright spot of when they turned the MP room into an unlock is that's the update they made solar panels a default.

Because being able to build a set of seabase hallways and rooms, but need to unlock AIR regardless of the fragments being in the safe shallows, was much dumber.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Section Z posted:

You used to start with it. The one bright spot of when they turned the MP room into an unlock is that's the update they made solar panels a default.

Because being able to build a set of seabase hallways and rooms, but need to unlock AIR regardless of the fragments being in the safe shallows, was much dumber.

I went into this game blind and kept trying to attach air hoses to my base from an above-water pump for a while. My logic was 'I need an air source, then I'll add power for a fabricator!'

I got frustrated and slapped a solar panel on it after a few tries, and was actually pretty surprised when I could suddenly breathe inside.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

You can make a pretty neat base using only corridors, but you need glass to make it cool-looking, and some functionality is missing.

Here's an album of my shallows base:

(the bed is not functional because the game wants more room for the "get up" animation to play, what a pampered crash survivor)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Man, despite having a lot of time sunk into this game, I'm only just exploring the Lost River for the first time.

It feels so weird. And tense. I'm underground, there's no easy and obvious way out, I'm far away from the safety and resources of my base. Going out into the abyss to dance with and scan Ghost Reapers? No problem! Going deep enough to get into the Lost River, and then exploring it with all that roof over your head? Makes me feel weirdly uncomfortable.

Internet Kraken posted:

Question about what I assume is a late game mechanic: I went to some spooky place in the ghost river and now I've got space AIDS or something. Is there actually a time limit associated with this that will kill me? Cause I've been spending a lot of time just loving around my base making decorations. I'd like to keep doing that but not if I drop dead because of it.

I didn't even wanna find that thing. I just wanted to get some seeds for my garden :saddowns:

You should have found out you had space AIDs when you visited the Gun Island Facility way earlier than that

HexiDave posted:

The mod loader/patching system code is up!
https://github.com/HexiDave/AssemblyPatcher

I'll be putting a packaged release copy you'll be able to drop into your Subnautica folder a little later. I recreated the mods from the earlier Youtube video (Pull from containers and more quickslots) and added them to the ExampleMod project. I'll clean up and separate things out in the near future.

Thank you for this, btw! Having more quick slots is nice on flatscreen but is an enormous help with controller or keyboard, since they don't let you choose which item goes into which slot.

Internet Kraken posted:

I finally got an alien containment built. Is there actually any practical purpose to this? I mean its cool, and I'm all about vanity stuff, but I thought it was gonna be necessary to use it to analyze infected fish or something. I can't find anyway to actually do scans on stuff inside though.

Also cuddlefish are ugly motherfuckers. It can stay in the tank.

Anything grown is a tank is mostly-tame. So you can release and scan it outside wherever. You can also eat the fish you grow (they will breed and multiply on their own, you want to stack tanks like 5 or 6 tall if you are gonna commit to breeding though since that increases the capacity). Breeding crashfish basically give you missiles you can use to blow up anything you don't like. Breeding food fish is good fo long haul foodstuffs. Eye-eyes make for the densest biomass for the bioreactor. Also, as mentioned, it's a nice safe place to grow plants too.

Cuddlefish become more interactive when released outside, give you a couple different things you can tell them to do.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

double nine posted:

You can make a pretty neat base using only corridors, but you need glass to make it cool-looking, and some functionality is missing.

Here's an album of my shallows base:

(the bed is not functional because the game wants more room for the "get up" animation to play, what a pampered crash survivor)

I've taken to making my personal quarters out of two T junctions. You can just fit a single bed in the second T.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

GlyphGryph posted:

You should have found out you had space AIDs when you visited the Gun Island Facility way earlier than that

Multiple paths through, so not everyone sees everything in the same order.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

endlessmonotony posted:

Multiple paths through, so not everyone sees everything in the same order.

That's the mainline path though. I suppose lots of people go there and just... fail to explore?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

Anything grown is a tank is mostly-tame.

"Mostly" is something that you want to keep in mind if you breed predators.

I'd hoped to breed a loyal army of crabsquid warriors and lead them in glorious conquest of the Grand Reef, but my first tame crabsquid turned on me as soon as it was released.

Then I used it and its siblings as fuel for the bioreactor, so they still ended up useful. :unsmith:

Comrade Koba fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 13, 2018

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
What exactly is the purpose of the floating air pump? I've never needed it since a powered base automatically generates oxygen, is it to pump oxygen into unpowered habitats? what's the use for an unpowered habitat?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I believe its to connect to Pipes and make oxygen hookups deeper than you can explore normally.

IE piping down to the jellyshroom caves.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Internet Kraken posted:

If you hold the scanner out you'll get a HUD indicator when something you can scan is close.

You get that indicator no matter what tool is active.

Captain Monkey posted:

I went into this game blind and kept trying to attach air hoses to my base from an above-water pump for a while. My logic was 'I need an air source, then I'll add power for a fabricator!'

I got frustrated and slapped a solar panel on it after a few tries, and was actually pretty surprised when I could suddenly breathe inside.

Did you not listen to the warning when you entered the base that said "Oxygen production offline" ? :)

Fano posted:

What exactly is the purpose of the floating air pump? I've never needed it since a powered base automatically generates oxygen, is it to pump oxygen into unpowered habitats? what's the use for an unpowered habitat?

You can never get air into an unpowered base. It's for pumping air to tubes for deep exploration pre-Seamoth.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
ah, I guess I built the Seamoth quickly enough to never really need those.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Fano posted:

If you combine it with pipes you get what's basically a really long breathing tube. I guess it could be useful in the early game if you want to go cave diving without having a seaglide or an oxygen tank or something, I dunno.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Tried to make a base in the Deep Grand Reef right by the river entrance.... Seemed like a convenient location, with tons of Uraninite, but wayyy too dangerous: Warpers, Crabsquids, and a ghost leviathan make it too dangerous to regularly bring the Cyclops in. Though now I've powered up the portals around the containment so it'd probably make more sense to just make a bunch of little reactor + moonpool outposts by those exits.

Also picture frames are great (you can upload custom images if you put them in screenshot directory), putting a map right in the cyclops is super convenient, and you can also just stick art or whatever everywhere.

Comrade Koba posted:

If you combine it with pipes you get what's basically a really long breathing tube. I guess it could be useful in the early game if you want to go cave diving without having a seaglide or an oxygen tank or something, I dunno.
I used it earlygame to explore the jellyshroom caves (had a ton of titanium and only solar power, so I couldn't just set up a deep base yet). I suppose it could also be pretty handy to use for the gun island caves

Lhet fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 13, 2018

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Captain Monkey posted:

I've tried this too, when they added the endcap objects to airpipe thinking "Base Pipe Connector" worked the opposite way it does :downs:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

GlyphGryph posted:

That's the mainline path though. I suppose lots of people go there and just... fail to explore?

If you mean the island that floats then yeah I've been there and explored it thoroughly. Regarding the certain plot point, I knew I was infected ever since I did the self-scan at the start but that's not nearly as frightening as suddenly being covered in horrid green blisters.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Internet Kraken posted:

If you mean the island that floats then yeah I've been there and explored it thoroughly. Regarding the certain plot point, I knew I was infected ever since I did the self-scan at the start but that's not nearly as frightening as suddenly being covered in horrid green blisters.

Just lol if you can see your skin past like 30 mins.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Thanks for the advice on the Aurora, all! It's kind of ridiculous how much harder I was making things on myself, since I somehow never thought about investigating the surface of the wreck. It's pretty easy to get there without worrying about the leviathans, even!

The wreck itself is a lot less terrifying than I thought it'd be, once you're safely past all the headcrabs at the entrance - it's pretty satisfying to put out the fires and repair the doors and poo poo, even. One question, though - I found a depth model for my seamoth in the seamoth bay, but I don't think I found the way to actually craft one. Did I miss something, or should I just not worry about it for now?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

dmboogie posted:

Thanks for the advice on the Aurora, all! It's kind of ridiculous how much harder I was making things on myself, since I somehow never thought about investigating the surface of the wreck. It's pretty easy to get there without worrying about the leviathans, even!

The wreck itself is a lot less terrifying than I thought it'd be, once you're safely past all the headcrabs at the entrance - it's pretty satisfying to put out the fires and repair the doors and poo poo, even. One question, though - I found a depth model for my seamoth in the seamoth bay, but I don't think I found the way to actually craft one. Did I miss something, or should I just not worry about it for now?

You can make it at the Vehicle Upgrade Console, which you can only build in a Moonpool. It's kinda weird, but the baseline depth upgrades come from the VUC, while all the enhanced versions (Depth MK2, MK3) are crafted at the Modification Station. It makes sense after the fact since you're upgrading the initial module, but if you built the Mod Station before the VUC, it's confusing.

On that topic! Make sure you don't go to upgrade your Cyclops' depth module while below 500m!

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 13, 2018

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Oh no I meant the stabby machine on the gun island. Thats when I learned I was infected.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Hey, does anyone know why they decided to cover both Islands in those weird artificial-looking cloud smears? They're effective enough at hiding them in the early-game, I guess, but once you know they're there they stand out like a sore thumb.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
The real reason is because pop-in is already so horrendous that if they didn't it would look like rear end.
The 'official' reason is that it's a special fog created by unseen mystical things to hide the land for reasons that are never actually explained in game.

It all comes from a time early in production when the map was supposed to be a placeholder for the eventual open world proc-gen game that they abandoned and never bothered fixing.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Not sure why they even need to be hidden. The game barely has any direction as is.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

GlyphGryph posted:

There are all kinds of ominous "you are infected" signs, like scanning yourself or being rejected by the gun control panel, but it isn't until you check out the disease research facility that you learn what you're supposed to be infected with. It startled me pretty good when I got back in my prawn and my character looked at his hands and saw the glowing pustules all over them after getting the data from the research facility.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Hiding pop in is probably the least important reason. Keeping the islands a mystery is the first and making the world look bigger is the second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Honestly the fog sorta directed me towards the islands when I first played. I got curious about what it was since it clearly wasn't just the skybox, and swam over to find the floating island.