Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Although Jim from Virginia calling in to ask about Serena Deeb getting FIRED and then John from Arkansas insisting that Maryse was once suspended for being too pretty were pretty amazing runners-up to the bizarreness category today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Fauxhawk Express posted:

The callers are the #1 reason I don't listen to that show

Still a top contender for the worst televised segment in wrestling history

Nowhere near as bad as the Piper's Family segment.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Nowhere near as bad as the Piper's Family segment.

The open tryouts thingy from the Omni in '97? Yeah that was loving awful.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Not a wrestling podcast per se but "Turned Out a Punk" is a podcast about how people got into punk and how it has shaped their lives, and the host likes to talk to wrestlers about the "wrestle punk connection" - he did a good one with Rocky Romero this week, did another good one with Matt Cross last year and there are others.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I would buy one of Dave's prowrestling calendars but I'd want them to work with Wrestlecrap to have the worst of prowrestling on each day.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
I honestly think those are two separate, equally viable calendars, but that might just be me.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Karmine posted:

I honestly think those are two separate, equally viable calendars, but that might just be me.

They totally are, however I'm not really interested in a calendar that tells me when the Funks first teamed in Japan so much as I am with one that tells me when Mike Rotunda became a boating enthusiast.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I've been watching the retro Nitros for a couple of weeks now and I've never seen or even heard mention of Sting, was he injured at the time?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Incessant Excess posted:

I've been watching the retro Nitros for a couple of weeks now and I've never seen or even heard mention of Sting, was he injured at the time?

He was in his yearly sabbatical, this one was so he could get born again.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Are you saying they took him off TV to freshen up his character?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Incessant Excess posted:

Are you saying they took him off TV to freshen up his character?

No he'd just take a bunch of time off either because they ran out of dates on him (96) or because he just wanted time off for whatever reason. I think in early 99 he's becoming a born again Christian but this might just be the stint where he did all the drugs that led to him becoming born again. He also takes time off at the end of 99, and then again in mid 2000.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Ah okay, I wasn't sure if you were talking about getting a new gimmick or something, didn't realize you meant a literal born again Christian.

EDIT: They didn't pay him during those times, did they?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Incessant Excess posted:

Ah okay, I wasn't sure if you were talking about getting a new gimmick or something, didn't realize you meant a literal born again Christian.

Of course they did. I mean they kind of had to in 96 as it was their fault. Him taking time off from fall of 98 - April of 99 was kind of hilarious as he'd spent all of 1997 not wrestling and getting paid for it.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Incessant Excess posted:

They paid Lanny Poffo for 4 years straight & he didn't get in the ring once. Of course they paid Sting.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"Did WCW pay someone?" he asks

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Hey, they did the prudent thing and fired Ralphus when he demanded more money.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

No he'd just take a bunch of time off either because they ran out of dates on him (96) or because he just wanted time off for whatever reason. I think in early 99 he's becoming a born again Christian but this might just be the stint where he did all the drugs that led to him becoming born again. He also takes time off at the end of 99, and then again in mid 2000.

It's a shame, his feud with Vampiro was really heating up when they took him off, and it kind of fell off a cliff interest wise when he came bacj.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Edge and Christian was on the latest episode of the Steve Austin podcast. Definitely worth a listen.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

mariooncrack posted:

Edge and Christian was on the latest episode of the Steve Austin podcast. Definitely worth a listen.

And it's cool to see that E&C are going to have Austin and Hart on their show to break down their WM13 match.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I'm not the only one who enjoyed Dave shading his kids on how he gets a Bray Wyatt calendar every year, right?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

I'm not the only one who enjoyed Dave shading his kids on how he gets a Bray Wyatt calendar every year, right?

Ahaha, yeah that was great.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MassRafTer posted:

Lmao, that actually completely went over my head. That's great.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

MassRafTer posted:

lmao that's what he was doing? One more for the Dave buries his family on-air file.

All I was thinking that a Wrestling Observer calendar better have some sick ab shots.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

VJeff posted:

lmao that's what he was doing? One more for the Dave buries his family on-air file.

All I was thinking that a Wrestling Observer calendar better have some sick ab shots.

Either that or his wife, I can't think of anyone but family who buys calendars for other people.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

maybe bryan gets him that calendar every year :smith:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/963572407175847936

There's levels to this.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Couples do grow to look like each other.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Episode 16, the History of TNA Part 6: The First PPV

Join us as we review the first NWA TNA PPV with a unique review criteria. We will judge every segment based on Jerry Jarrett's own 6 principles of good writing.

https://www.spreaker.com/episode/14048099

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

You should do a Jerry Jarrett WONHOF episode.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Just starting this podcast and I'm pretty well 100% sure all 6 of the rules will be broken for all the matches

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
As someone with almost zero knowledge of the PPV-era TNA, this is going to be ... quite the journey for me

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Benne posted:

As someone with almost zero knowledge of the PPV-era TNA, this is going to be ... quite the journey for me

hello hulkamatt

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Just starting this podcast and I'm pretty well 100% sure all 6 of the rules will be broken for all the matches

I basically agree but if we don't give this company a chance they might not make it.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Is Bret Hart vs Will Sasso the closest we’re gonna get to the Tom Magee tape?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm so disappointed that the truck driver who picked up Flair didn't just randomly have a camera-man in the cab with him when he found Flair like I remembered :smith:

That was one of my favorite bizarre WCW memories and now it turns out it wasn't as batshit dumb as I recalled, even if it was still batshit dumb.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I'm sad how much they undersold Hogan's mustache showing through the ski mask. It was classic goofy wrestling angle. Of course you'd think they shouldn't really be putting comedy into gang horribly assaulting a man in a field but there you go.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

I'm so disappointed that the truck driver who picked up Flair didn't just randomly have a camera-man in the cab with him when he found Flair like I remembered :smith:

That was one of my favorite bizarre WCW memories and now it turns out it wasn't as batshit dumb as I recalled, even if it was still batshit dumb.

Florida Man has a name, rear end in a top hat.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Puppet in a garbage can was building to a climax.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
Skip the first ten minutes of today’s WOR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

mkay0 posted:

Skip the first ten minutes of today’s WOR

Why, it's really good and the fight Dave is talking about is an important and often overlooked moment in women's MMA. Bryan's tangents are a little annoying but the whole thing is interesting enough.