Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Avenging_Mikon posted:

You ever have a day where you just really need some external validation, but then get all squirrely because you can't ask for it, because then it doesn't count and so you just sort of exist and hope someone just randomly says "hey, you're a good person, and do good things"?

...Just me?
No. Absolutely never.

Nope.

:cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

see my boss seems to think i'm one of those people and makes a note of telling me what a good boy i am all the time and it just makes me uncomfortable because i sure as hell don't think the load of garbage i do that i somehow get paid for is worth praise :ohdear:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Avenging_Mikon posted:

No :(

I'd like to get a cat, but I really don't think it'd be a good idea for the cat.

How about visiting a park that has ducks, or maybe just feed some birds?

I find hanging out with animals to be really calming and rewarding. They don't care about all our weird crap, but they readily indicate by their behaviour if we're treating them well or poorly.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Avenging_Mikon posted:

No :(

I'd like to get a cat, but I really don't think it'd be a good idea for the cat.

comfortable sharing why you don't think it would be good for the cat?

if you are you cool with dogs a lot of shelters and rescues are always looking for people willing to come by and take the dogs for a walk.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
cat cafes need to be more of a thing in the states

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

ultravoices posted:

Hi there! Welcome to the bear community, where body hair is valorized. I don't have hardly any myself, just because I'm made that way, but I sure like it on other guys.

oh yeah! how could i forget about da bears?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

ynohtna posted:

How about visiting a park that has ducks, or maybe just feed some birds?

I find hanging out with animals to be really calming and rewarding. They don't care about all our weird crap, but they readily indicate by their behaviour if we're treating them well or poorly.

Not a lot of birds around in winter in my area. Most of them migrate or hibernate. But I should swing by the tropical section of the local conservatory. It's hella relaxing. Thanks for the idea.

Shifty Pony posted:

comfortable sharing why you don't think it would be good for the cat?

A few reasons. There's a 1 cat limit, and I live alone so it would be by itself for 9 hours a day minimum, and then when I'm sleeping. I live in a one bedroom apartment that's already pretty crowded with two large, filled book cases, a computer desk, couch, coffee table, and entertainment centre, so putting any cat tree or play places for it would be quite size-limited. The last reason is surmountable but I'm disorganized as hell, and live out of my laundry basket and drying rack so stuff is just laying all over and it takes me a week longer than it should to take out the recycling.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Not a lot of birds around in winter in my area. Most of them migrate or hibernate. But I should swing by the tropical section of the local conservatory. It's hella relaxing. Thanks for the idea.

A few reasons. There's a 1 cat limit, and I live alone so it would be by itself for 9 hours a day minimum, and then when I'm sleeping. I live in a one bedroom apartment that's already pretty crowded with two large, filled book cases, a computer desk, couch, coffee table, and entertainment centre, so putting any cat tree or play places for it would be quite size-limited. The last reason is surmountable but I'm disorganized as hell, and live out of my laundry basket and drying rack so stuff is just laying all over and it takes me a week longer than it should to take out the recycling.

cats sleep like 20 goddamn hours a day, the cat would just sleep all day when you're at work. i know mine sure does :v:

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
1) make friends with someone who owns a cat
2) give kitty lovies :3:
3) friend has to scoop litter box

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ate all the Oreos posted:

see my boss seems to think i'm one of those people and makes a note of telling me what a good boy i am all the time and it just makes me uncomfortable because i sure as hell don't think the load of garbage i do that i somehow get paid for is worth praise :ohdear:

they think you're a dog?

or a mcelroy brother?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Depends entirely on the cat. One of mine does spend most of its time sleeping and will occasionally come for cuddles. The other is glued to me.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

evil_bunnY posted:

Old people who DGAF are the best. When my brother came out our grams was the loving sweetest about it.

My mother in law passed this Friday and she was very much like this, three of her four children are queer: one gay, one lesbian, one bi and she accepted all of us without reservation. My father in law used to say "What did we do wrong to end up with three gay children?" and she would say "It's a blessing, God's just making our lives interesting." :)

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Glazier posted:

she would say "It's a blessing, God's just making our lives interesting." :)

Since you say she was a good lady, that statement was adorable and awesome :)

Helianthus Annuus posted:

1) make friends with someone who owns a cat

I'm sorry, I'm having trouble understanding this step. I have lots of friends, but... like, how does that help? I can't pet their cat through the internet!

There's some seriously pro cattes on the local humane society's site. I think after my CC debt's paid off in March, I'm getting a cat.

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I'm sorry, I'm having trouble understanding this step. I have lots of friends, but... like, how does that help? I can't pet their cat through the internet!

you call them up and be like "yo i'm bringing over some [drink] let me pet that cat"

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Avenging_Mikon posted:

all reasonable concerns. two cats is usually ideal, you being around more is better, there is no such thing as too many cat trees, and you do need to be somewhat organized with a cat (at the very least scooping their box daily).

but cats have really distinctive personalities and I absolutely guarantee you that in a cat at a nearby shelter or rescue who staff recommends be an only cat. I suggest looking at older (>4yrs old) cats because their personalities are well established, they are usually more than happy with sleeping in various locations for 20 hours a day, and they have a harder time being adopted. my cat is 9 and literally spends her day moving from sunbeam spot to sunbeam spot until my wife gets home and she can curl up in her lap.

but you know yourself best and if your gut says "I'm not ready for a cat just yet" listen to it.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Since you say she was a good lady, that statement was adorable and awesome :)

She was OG woke, she rebelled against her racist rural Georgia upbringing by going to an HCBU in the 1950s.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

my cat is 9 and literally spends her day moving from sunbeam spot to sunbeam spot until my wife gets home and she can curl up in her lap.

mine does this, lazy gently caress during the day, hyper in the evening, then he waits for us to both go to sleep and just when it's been enough time for us to barely start dozing off comes and sits next to the bed and meows as loud as he can, because he's an rear end in a top hat

i swear to god he times it intentionally like that. he doesn't even want anything either, he just meows and then plops over on his side and ignores us

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Screwed again. The insurance used my out of network max on the boob claim instead of in network because while my doctor was in network, the surgery center wasn't. Even though he owns the surgery center and it's literally in his office.

My guess? He thought being in network covered his surgery center too and UHC didn't bother to correct him since it means they pass more cost on to the patient.

Trying to figure out what my options are because generally appealing a claim only covers them misapplying benefits, not deceptive structuring of their provider contracts.

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

geeze, and i thought it was bad when i was geting double billed for labwork since one lab was always having to outsource one of the tests

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I find it very odd that a surgeon would not know that his surgical center is out of network. on the other hand it is also odd that the insurance would give pre-approval to an out-of-network surgical center without putting up a fight.

something is fucky. I assume that you spoke with the doctor's staff to confirm they are actually out of network?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

I find it very odd that a surgeon would not know that his surgical center is out of network.

doctors don't know poo poo about insurance and do everything in their power to avoid thinking about it so it's not really that surprising to me :shrug:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
In other news, I came home to find some old Asian guy with a headlamp digging through my garbage. I laid on the horn, jumped out, and tore that poo poo out of his hands, and he had the nerve to point at some of it and say "that not yours". I told him if I saw him again I was calling the cops.

What a day.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
was there a reason why he was trash digging?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Improbable Lobster posted:

was there a reason why he was trash digging?

if autodrag lives in a state that pays for recycling turn in of plastic bottles that’s what he was digging for.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah, uh, is that not a common thing where you are?

round here we have like three or four different old asian people (men and women, but always chinese folks for some reason) who come around on trash day and dig out all the returnable bottles.

it weirded me out a lot at first but it's not like i'm gonna call the cops on them or something so now i just put all the things with deposits in a separate bag beside the recycling bin.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

but what if they're the person that supposedly digs through your garbage to steal your un-shredded junk mail so they can steal your identity that's totally how identity theft worked 20 years ago

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Sagebrush posted:

round here we have like three or four different old asian people (men and women, but always chinese folks for some reason) who come around on trash day and dig out all the returnable bottles.

it weirded me out a lot at first but it's not like i'm gonna call the cops on them or something so now i just put all the things with deposits in a separate bag beside the recycling bin.

only alcohol gets a deposit in ontario

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Sagebrush posted:

there were old asian people turf wars over that poo poo out in hawaii

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sagebrush posted:

I've literally never seen someone go into my trash bin before. poo poo you put on the curb for people to take, sure. Digging through my trash that has discarded bills, insurance letters, and so on? Stay the gently caress out.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That stuff I throw into a cheap shredder.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Synthbuttrange posted:

That stuff I throw into a cheap shredder.

i need to buy a new one because my old one broke, but my primary concern is that i'm a queer in an unfamiliar place and currently alone because my wife had to take a trip, and who knows why he was digging and what he could learn about me from my trash. it made me feel unsafe and i reacted 100% on instinct. when i got into the house i could feel the adrenaline dump hitting me hard because i'd flipped into pure survival mode.

if i was still a guy pulling huge weights and training mma constantly i might not have given it a second thought, but my recent experiences have me looking over my shoulder a lot. i don't even answer the door without making sure my pit bull is out of his crate.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It really sucks having to live in fear like that, hope it gets better :glomp:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ate all the Oreos posted:

doctors don't know poo poo about insurance and do everything in their power to avoid thinking about it so it's not really that surprising to me :shrug:

I guess you are right. I was basing that statement on my wife knowing exactly which insurances she is in network on but she isn't an almighty surgeon (who often feel like they are above such petty details).

someone in the office should have known and warned her though.

that really sucks cis. I had a dentist who intentionally left my insurance network but didn't tell me until I called up and asked why the crown I thought was going to be a 35% of plan allowance copay was instead 75% plus deductible plus difference between allowance and billed amount . I was absolutely livid about it.

cis autodrag posted:

I've literally never seen someone go into my trash bin before. poo poo you put on the curb for people to take, sure. Digging through my trash that has discarded bills, insurance letters, and so on? Stay the gently caress out.

yeah I agree I'd be sketched out about it.

is your trash bin at the curb or like in your yard and then you carry it out? I believe legally it makes a major difference- things (including trash in bins) left at the curb are considered "intentionally abandoned" and is free for anyone to take but you can't go diving in a bin on private property because that is trespassing.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I know that this is most likely not the case but I keep getting paranoid that I'm being passed up for jobs and job offers specifically because I am a woman and/or trans. Especially given my experience with my first manager... I know I have no proof of it and likely never will but I can't discount it. Paranoia and worrying won't help though

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .
lesbian computer toucher here. when I was closeted and trying my best at presenting femme, I still got interviews, but they'd lowball me on salary really hard. one guy actually laughed at me when i tried to negotiate. so yeah, this bullshit is real, but agreed that paranoia doesn't help. anecdotally, going turbo mega butch seems to have made interviewers much less uncomfortable talking to a woman.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Pollyanna posted:

I know that this is most likely not the case but I keep getting paranoid that I'm being passed up for jobs and job offers specifically because I am a woman and/or trans. Especially given my experience with my first manager... I know I have no proof of it and likely never will but I can't discount it. Paranoia and worrying won't help though

I don't think you're paranoid. I definitely felt like that during my job hunt and I didn't feel like i made progress until someone I knew on the inside of an org was pushing for me.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ElHuevoGrande posted:

lesbian computer toucher here. when I was closeted and trying my best at presenting femme, I still got interviews, but they'd lowball me on salary really hard. one guy actually laughed at me when i tried to negotiate. so yeah, this bullshit is real, but agreed that paranoia doesn't help. anecdotally, going turbo mega butch seems to have made interviewers much less uncomfortable talking to a woman.

it's a real thing and it sucks and luckily i'm kinda futch/horrible-mess so it's not ungodly awful for me, but still

a recruiter recently got incredibly lovely at me when i said that i didn't want to talk about compensation until later in the process, which i mentioned here

poo poo she said:

quote:

- "I don't want you to oversell yourself"
- "Do you think that's a good strategy?"
- "I want to be your friend"
- "If you answered a question like this, it doesn't sound smart and like you didn't do your homework"
- "We like it when folks come with an educated level of communication on their salary"
- "I'm sorry that your response to me helping you was like this", and
- "I need you to tell me your previous compensation and please prove it to me"

so bullshit continues to happen

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Pollyanna posted:

it's a real thing and it sucks and luckily i'm kinda futch/horrible-mess so it's not ungodly awful for me, but still

a recruiter recently got incredibly lovely at me when i said that i didn't want to talk about compensation until later in the process, which i mentioned here

poo poo she said:

Jesus, that guy sounds like he's trying to use PUA as a recruitment strategy. You don't want to work there anyway.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

cis autodrag posted:

Jesus, that guy sounds like he's trying to use PUA as a recruitment strategy. You don't want to work there anyway.

it's a lady but still gently caress that lady

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

poo poo she said:

hahahahaha this read like a literal list of red flags. good on you for standing your ground.

for those unaware, compensation should always, always be negotiated after you’ve been offered a position, and never, ever tell anyone what you made at the previous place.