Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Next program to get shut down?
This poll is closed.
for the love of god please coach k 85 53.13%
Kansas 25 15.63%
Kentucky 21 13.13%
Some MVC team that no one cares about 29 18.13%
Total: 128 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

vikingstrike posted:

Why exactly is this #1 ranking is more important than any other mid-season ranking? Is it just because it's UVA's first time at #1 in a poll or something?
I'm probably the most vocal about it, so I'll say that for myself:

1) Virginia is the only sports team I actually care about. I am as big a Cavaliers fan as anyone is a fan of their team. However,
2) Virginia is not a team that gets ranked #1. You know how around December 1st, Auburn fans start complaining that they should be in the Sugar Bowl and not the Citrus Bowl? Virginia fans are going "oh cool we made a bowl game".
And 3) Michigan State fans have proven themselves to be the most insufferable bunch of people on the planet. Being able to combine this once in a life time ascension to #1 with their meltdown, and be the cause of that meltdown, has made this a particularly nice Monday.

I'm not trying to diminish the rest of the season, and Virginia is the only team I root for in every game regardless of circumstances, but for me there's an element of "lose every game for the rest of the year, fine by me, I saw them at #1, we're good, scratch it off the bucket list" to this ranking.

Final point I'll make is that I'm speaking more to the #1 in the committee rankings, not #1 in the AP. The AP is the poll that matters until the real polls (NCAA tournament or BCS rankings) come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

2) Virginia is not a team that gets ranked #1. You know how around December 1st, Auburn fans start complaining that they should be in the Sugar Bowl and not the Citrus Bowl? Virginia fans are going "oh cool we made a bowl game".

To be fair Auburn has a reason to care about bowl games and Virginia often doesn't. Auburn is having their best year in basketball in at least 15 years and probably since Y2K.

I don't really take issue with your actual point, just Auburn is a weird and timely comparison in the opposite direction you're aiming for. Oh man after looking them up Auburn basketball is like 10 times worse than Virginia football somehow.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Grittybeard posted:

To be fair Auburn has a reason to care about bowl games and Virginia often doesn't. Auburn is having their best year in basketball in at least 15 years and probably since Y2K.

I don't really take issue with your actual point, just Auburn is a weird and timely comparison in the opposite direction you're aiming for. Oh man after looking them up Auburn basketball is like 10 times worse than Virginia football somehow.
:argh:

Auburn made the Sugar Bowl 2 years ago!

I'm just looking for a comparison with a team who has been so good for so long that they've almost gotten tired of it. (e: But I get what you mean, because even if Auburn football fans are so used to success they take it for granted, fans of the basketball team aren't. I switched from basketball to football to make the comparison so it was awkward, but you get my point.)

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 12, 2018

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I've drat near given myself sodium poisoning from drinking so many Michigan State tears.

I might enjoy the saltiness from VT fans who think they dashed our hope of a #1 ranking even more.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is losing to St. John's worse than losing to Va Tech?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

St. John's has two amazing wins, but yes it is.

I still maintain that you can basically flip a coin between Virginia and Villanova. It's Virginia by a hair, and as I mentioned above I love that it's Virginia, but I wouldn't be upset if you went with Villanova. I'm kinda wondering who invited Michigan State to the conversation though.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 12, 2018

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

St. Johns is 72 on Kenpom right now v 40 for VT. Granted this is after their respective wins, but still.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
I know that if my team (Texas Tech) made it to #1 sometime before the season ended (only chance of that happening is chaos + we win out), I would be ridiculously ecstatic

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

kayakyakr posted:

I know that if my team (Texas Tech) made it to #1 sometime before the season ended (only chance of that happening is chaos + we win out), I would be ridiculously ecstatic

I would think as long as you're not a jaded blue blood fan, you get why it's a big deal. Sure it's just a moment in time that doesn't get you anything, but it sure is nice when a team you root for is sitting at the top.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I might enjoy the saltiness from VT fans who think they dashed our hope of a #1 ranking even more.

Yes, all the tears we have from beating you, I can't believe how much I'm crying from you losing to us at home, how salty we are.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I hope you keep #1, we have the best win in the loving country right now. It's like an enormous 72 font bolded print on the top of our resume that says "beat #1 at their place where they haven't lost in nearly a year".

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Nur_Neerg posted:

Yes, all the tears we have from beating you, I can't believe how much I'm crying from you losing to us at home, how salty we are.
You're responding to a thing he didn't say, why didn't you read his post before you replied to it?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Being #1 sucks. gently caress Ali Farokhmanesh.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Probably Magic posted:

Being #1 sucks. gently caress Ali Farokhmanesh.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Kibner posted:

Better yet, the ref who called the tech was at the halfcourt line so didn't even see the smile and could only assume eye contact was made.

Also the ref is a) an ex-cop, b) a Trump supporter and c) a St. Louis Cardinals fan

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I'm probably the most vocal about it, so I'll say that for myself:

1) Virginia is the only sports team I actually care about. I am as big a Cavaliers fan as anyone is a fan of their team. However,
And 3) Michigan State fans have proven themselves to be the most insufferable bunch of people on the planet. Being able to combine this once in a life time ascension to #1 with their meltdown, and be the cause of that meltdown, has made this a particularly nice Monday.

I'm not trying to diminish the rest of the season, and Virginia is the only team I root for in every game regardless of circumstances, but for me there's an element of "lose every game for the rest of the year, fine by me, I saw them at #1, we're good, scratch it off the bucket list" to this ranking.

Final point I'll make is that I'm speaking more to the #1 in the committee rankings, not #1 in the AP. The AP is the poll that matters until the real polls (NCAA tournament or BCS rankings) come out.

Who are these MSU fans that are having a meltdown? I certainly haven't seen any and I am from Michigan.

Besides, if you rooted for a team that actually had tournament success ever you would know rankings don't matter :smug:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

My god look at that tiny loving nerd.

gently caress that guy.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
What happened to the A&M guards that got dismissed from the team?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mike_V posted:

What happened to the A&M guards that got dismissed from the team?

Only one was dismissed, but he's a point guard. I'm sure he's learned his lesson now, let's sign him.

As far as I know they got busted for pot, one got suspended and the other was suspended earlier this year and I guess they decided he was too much of a headache.

e: if you're wondering about tomorrow's game it will make approximately zero difference one way or the other, the suspended dude played about 10 minutes a game and the guy who got cut barely played at all.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Feb 13, 2018

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

You're responding to a thing he didn't say, why didn't you read his post before you replied to it?

I've just not seen what he's talking about at all, so... On the largest Hokie sites it's just 'well apparently we beat the best team in the country.'

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I don't know why you'd buy a shirt to remind people that you weren't the national champs.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I don't know why you'd buy a shirt to remind people that you weren't the national champs.

Reminding people they weren't national champs is kinda VT's thing.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Aw hell, I don't care. Just makes the win look better on paper, if anything.

I have no illusions about the lowly social status that VT basketball has earned over the last quarter century. I'll take a win over a highly-ranked program any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mdemone posted:

Aw hell, I don't care. Just makes the win look better on paper, if anything.

I have no illusions about the lowly social status that VT basketball has earned over the last quarter century. I'll take a win over a highly-ranked program any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Yeah like it or not, both teams are tied to each other now. We need VT not to poo poo the bed, because it will make our loss worse. You want UVA to win because it makes you win even better.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
I’m happy that I inherited Virginia fandom late in life, and then because UVA signed my checks. Family has history with VT and I don’t really have it in me to properly hate a Hokie team without a Vick on it. Much rather drop a game to them than to the blues.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

Yeah like it or not, both teams are tied to each other now. We need VT not to poo poo the bed, because it will make our loss worse. You want UVA to win because it makes you win even better.

Honestly don't even think we can poo poo the bed at this point; the tail end of our schedule is p. ridiculously difficult, winning 3 between the end of the regular season and the ACCT combined would pretty much lock us in. Rest of regular season: @Duke, @ GT, vs Clemson, vs Louisville, vs Duke, @ Miami. Hopefully we'll win @ GT and find 1-2 more in there, but really don't see much in there that could potentially make that a worse loss for y'all.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

elentar posted:

I’m happy that I inherited Virginia fandom late in life, and then because UVA signed my checks. Family has history with VT and I don’t really have it in me to properly hate a Hokie team without a Vick on it. Much rather drop a game to them than to the blues.

I really like Buzz Williams and I'm one of those weirdo UVA fans who thinks a strong VT is good for the state and makes for a more entertaining rivalry.

I wish our football teams still had what was recognizable as an actual rivalry, instead of the annual crapfest the Hoos put on the field. Thank god for hoops.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

I really like Buzz Williams and I'm one of those weirdo UVA fans who thinks a strong VT is good for the state and makes for a more entertaining rivalry.

I wish our football teams still had what was recognizable as an actual rivalry, instead of the annual crapfest the Hoos put on the field. Thank god for hoops.

You really need to get rid of Mendy to have much of a shot there.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nur_Neerg posted:

You really need to get rid of Mendy to have much of a shot there.

I’m not convinced either way with him yet, but our OC Anae is garbage.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

I’m not convinced either way with him yet, but our OC Anae is garbage.

It seems like Bronco's decent at the coaching aspect of coaching, and unbelievably bad at the recruiting and culture-fit parts, unless you guys want to be the 'dirty' Virginia squad. I'd be more than happy for him to be there indefinitely given the trajectory of our football team, but it's pretty depressing not having a proper rival in football these days. Curious to see how you guys do on the field with the starters you'll be replacing with much less talented guys.

I don't expect us to ever get up to your current level in basketball, but am thinking if we can hold on to Buzz for more than a couple years we should be looking at borderline top 25 squads most years going forward. Next year's team should be by far our most talented in a very long time, if not ever.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

I'm that way for baseball when it comes to wanting both the Cubs and Sox to be good, but when it comes to Purdue I'd sell the pope's soul into sex slavery with the devil if it meant that IU, Notre Dame, and Wisconsin never won a game in any sport for the rest of time

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Nebraska hits 20 regular season wins for the first time since 1993 :unsmith:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Poque posted:

I'm that way for baseball when it comes to wanting both the Cubs and Sox to be good, but when it comes to Purdue I'd sell the pope's soul into sex slavery with the devil if it meant that IU, Notre Dame, and Wisconsin never won a game in any sport for the rest of time

Yeah no, that's not happening. The others not winning, especially Notre Dame, is fine.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

iospace posted:

Yeah no, that's not happening. The others not winning, especially Notre Dame, is fine.

We're just never on the same side for anything.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Cuonzo Martin has to be in coach of the year considerations right? Going from the absolute mess Kim Anderson left, to Michael Porter Jr. being out for most of the year, to all of their PGs leaving or being dismissed, the Tigers are almost a lock for the tournament barring a huge collapse down the stretch.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Poque posted:

We're just never on the same side for anything.

I'm pretty sure we both agree that the Cardinals can go gently caress off, but that's a different matter for a different thread

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Mike_V posted:

Cuonzo Martin has to be in coach of the year considerations right? Going from the absolute mess Kim Anderson left, to Michael Porter Jr. being out for most of the year, to all of their PGs leaving or being dismissed, the Tigers are almost a lock for the tournament barring a huge collapse down the stretch.

Yeah but it's going to Bruce Pearl.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

kiimo posted:

Yeah but it's going to Bruce Pearl.

this but Chris Holtmann

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm going to have to hear an argument why 22-5 traditional basketball power Ohio State is more impressive than 22-3 N'body give two poo poo bout round ball, Son! Auburn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mike_V posted:

Talking in conference, or national? Because nationally, Tony Bennett needs to be in the discussion at least, to go from unranked preseason (picked 6th in conference) to current #1/overall #1 seed.

• Locked thread