Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Unfinish3d posted:

I've been slowly working my way through WotN, and yeah my strategy for most difficult bits has been relying on bursting things down with carnage talisman and living weapon, with a weakness talisman + confusion on enemies. I honestly feel like playing through WotN is actually making me worse at the game overall because my strategy always boils down to either successfully bursting the things down, or dying, calling my spirit pals back, and trying again

yeah. i appreciate needing to use different tools, but usually it seemed to come down to the same set of tools and many fights were plain chores. didn't change the fights or placement from way of the wise either. so that's nioh for me for now. not too bad since i got 214 hours of it and i am not usually the type of guy to grind obsessively on a game! except maybe on competitive games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Neurosis posted:

yeah. i appreciate needing to use different tools, but usually it seemed to come down to the same set of tools and many fights were plain chores. didn't change the fights or placement from way of the wise either. so that's nioh for me for now. not too bad since i got 214 hours of it and i am not usually the type of guy to grind obsessively on a game! except maybe on competitive games

As far as 100% completion goes, you only need to beat all the missions Way of the Demon to get all the achievements and whatnot, right?

Right now, I'm still trying to go through the main campaign on Way of the Strong so I can get some better gear and levels so I can finish the first mission of Dragon of the North on Way of the Samurai. I don't know how much closer I am to getting to a point where the mission is much easier (haven't played the game for a week or so, and I forgot where I was at). I'd like to do all the DLC and then try to get to the point where you start getting Ethereal drops, but I don't know when that is.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
You're probably good for the DLC if you just get a full/mostly full set of divine gear. I waited until all my gear was like +5 and nothing was a challenge at all(Maria NG+ was quite a wakeup call).
Ethereal items start dropping in Way of the Wise.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
Re: Mid Stance and blocking. When you are blocking your Ki stops regenerating unless you are in Mid Stance where it will regenerate but much slower than normal.

Medium and Large sized Yokai do not have hit-stun while they still have Ki (the purple bar).

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Also use every weapon and do their dojo challenges. Spend points frivolously on poo poo that looks interesting on your first play through. You will just respec later and can plan an actual build then.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Personally, I find NG and MAYBE NG+ to be the most fun part of Nioh. Ethereals and stuff are locked away behind way too much unfun gameplay.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I had the most fun with Way of the Wise, personally. It was just challenging enough to make every encounter feel like a life or death struggle, but left some leeway so that a single mistake didn't necessarily mean death. For Way of the Nioh though, one slip up and you're hosed. Even with my set-up of using the dual swords mystic art that gives you bonus defense, steel talismans with an accessory that has A+ bonus duration for them, and primarily using dual swords with +29 wind attack to take advantage of the bluster effect, getting clipped once means you need to go on the defensive and try to find an opportunity to heal. Most likely you don't, though, so one mistake is pretty much fatal most of the time.

Enemy placements don't change between way of the wise and way of the nioh, but I genuinely feel like enemies get way more aggressive in wotn, not to mention everything hitting like a truck

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

That said though, this still stands as one of my favorite games overall. Way of the Nioh is just extremely brutal by design and I don't have the time/patience for it these days

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

RatHat posted:

You're probably good for the DLC if you just get a full/mostly full set of divine gear. I waited until all my gear was like +5 and nothing was a challenge at all(Maria NG+ was quite a wakeup call).
Ethereal items start dropping in Way of the Wise.

I think I already had all divine gear equipped when I got to the fight with Shigezane, but I had little to no room for error, and he could kill me out in just a couple of hits. I don't remember what gear specifically I had or what level I was at, but I know I only had one or two items that had a +1 or a +2 (the Oni Sakon Spear I had I know was at +2), and I was using all light armor. Also, I would have to check again, but the first Dragon of the North mission was still grading the mission difficulty at three sword out of five (I don't understand entirely how the difficulty grading of missions works)

I'd like to get my gear up to +5, or higher if possible. Problem is, I don't know what you need to do in order to assure that you get a +1 drop, apart from just getting lucky. I remember someone saying that in Nioh, improving your equipment or raising your stats can make a major difference, and what I took from that is that if you're not super-skilled in dodging all attacks or memorizing patterns, you can make up for by having gear and stats than dish out damage fast and absorb a lot of hits.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Better gear drops as you get further in the story. I think Demon King Revealed in Way of the Strong drops like +10

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Man, the Phoenix guardian spirit is broken. Just keep your gauge charged and it saves you so many times.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
This game is pretty cool. I am just now starting Way of the Demon but skipped like half of Way of the Strong. Eager to see how it goes seeing as my main weapon is kinda nutso:

Pegnose Pete posted:

Starting my first playthrough on PC. Anything I should know, as someone with experience in the souls series?
Stuff you wish you had figured out earlier etc.

In addition to other tips mentioned above, here's some more utilitarian stuff:

- Your inventory list for weapons/armor/accessories caps at 500 and bulk selling is annoying. For NG, feel free to treat your storehouse as a wholesale junk depot. Go through your inventory in the start menu, move anything you don't want to the storehouse, and then just sell everything in there when you hit up the blacksmith. You can get more granular in NG+ by selling anything common or uncommon and disassembling any trash above that.
- Look through Basic Game Settings and be sure to set "Auto-fill" options to yes. Then, you can buy 999 arrows or bullets for your storehouse. Never worry about ammo between missions again!
- Don't forget to upgrade all your smithing materials prior to forging. Forge -> Tools -> second tab.
- Don't neglect kodama blessings and Kodama Sense. A decently powered healer blessing can give you a good backsupply of elixirs for each time you move to the next act.
- I know you like and want to soul match your awesome helm to no end, but soul match costs gain exponentially if you do it on the same item over and over.
- Get a feel for your charge rate on your living weapon (note that this is affected by your guardian's "Amrita Gauge Rate" stat), and don't feel like you have to save it. You can crush some soulstones to get charge if you fail on a boss and really need it. Seriously, good spirit builds have like 90% living weapon uptime throughout missions. And if you do forget it, it's usually a good, safe way to get the last 30% of a boss' health. Just don't get cocky.
- Do the dojo missions. They have unlisted "rewards" of unlocking skill tree tiers.

f#a# fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 12, 2018

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

f#a# posted:

- Your inventory list for weapons/armor/accessories caps at 500 and bulk selling is annoying. For NG, feel free to treat your storehouse as a wholesale junk depot. Go through your inventory in the start menu, move anything you don't want to the storehouse, and then just sell everything in there when you hit up the blacksmith. You can get more granular in NG+ by selling anything common or uncommon and disassembling any trash above that.

What? Just do it manually for the first few missions and then you can pretty much just autosell/disassemble everything below epic rarity.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 12, 2018

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

f#a# posted:

This game is pretty cool. I am just now starting Way of the Demon but skipped like half of Way of the Strong. Eager to see how it goes seeing as my main weapon is kinda nutso:

That particular rabbit hole gets so, so much deeper

(this pic came out really crappy, but I don't know how else to import screenshots from PS4)

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The experience of fighting those drat umbrellas

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/LeanLightFowl-mobile.mp4

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

RatHat posted:

What? Just do it manually for the first few missions and then you can pretty much just autosell/disassemble everything below epic rarity.

I micromanage a lot if I'm not par for the mission (it's fun to me drat it!), and to do that, I use the item box / storehouse dynamic in a way that's unintended. Allow me to offer an anecdote:

At least three times throughout my time in this game, I've painstakingly gone through about 200 items, checking off what I want to sell/disassemble, then hit RT to instinctively try and compare a selected item's stats with my equipped stuff. Except in the sell/disassemble screen, RT acts as a toggle between "Check/Uncheck All," which means I completely undo the last five minutes of work I put in.

I know it's my fault for not being careful, but come on that's just bad UX right there. Same deal with the obtuse sorting options (seriously what does sorting by "Ability" even mean?). If I could just flag items as trash at any time, and then have a button to "sell trash" like in Borderlands, that would be great.

(don't get me wrong I love the game)

f#a# fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Feb 13, 2018

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Have you considered locking things you don't want to sell/disassemble?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The way I managed to deal with this game's lovely item inventory system is to lock one of every item except for weapons, then sell all of my doubles. After I'm done with a play session, I go through and reduce anything that's become doubled again down to the better of the two (or more) that I now have. Only takes a minute or so if you do it via the main inventory screen on the map because the "all items" category can be sorted by sets to they all get clumped together in the right order.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Why in the world are you keeping one of everything?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Fashion, but also because it makes it way easier to sort poo poo in the long run.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

You know you can change the appearence of any item, right? You only need to have gotten a particular item once to get access to its appearance as a refashion option.

Also gear ramps up so fast in this game that unless you're dealing with lvl300+ items (where you'll start checking for abilities to inherit and remove) your collection is going to become outdated FAST.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Azran posted:

You know you can change the appearence of any item, right? You only need to have gotten a particular item once to get access to its appearance as a refashion option.

gently caress this game

edit: why is it so hard for them to just explain extremely simple concepts like that

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 13, 2018

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

CJacobs posted:

gently caress this game

edit: why is it so hard for them to just explain extremely simple concepts like that

Oh don't worry, it randomly doesn't 'count', so you'll find big gaps in your FASHION NIOH collection.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

CJacobs posted:

gently caress this game

Obtuse and poorly explained central game conceits are a hardline staple of 3rd-Person action/adventure games, at least the ones with any depth.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

Falcon2001 posted:

Oh don't worry, it randomly doesn't 'count', so you'll find big gaps in your FASHION NIOH collection.

I think that if the item is part of a set that has a smithing text, you need the smithing text. Maybe. I don't know.

But I do know that resulted in me endlessly running the first mission in Siege of Osaka (Winter), a very annoying level to run through, in hopes of Sarutobi Shinobi Apparel because that hat is sweet.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
It doesn't count if you got it off a revenant.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

CJacobs posted:

The way I managed to deal with this game's lovely item inventory system is to lock one of every item except for weapons, then sell all of my doubles. After I'm done with a play session, I go through and reduce anything that's become doubled again down to the better of the two (or more) that I now have. Only takes a minute or so if you do it via the main inventory screen on the map because the "all items" category can be sorted by sets to they all get clumped together in the right order.

Keep in mind there's a setting in the Options menu that will filter the quality of items you pick up. If you want, you choose to pick up items that are only Uncommon or higher, and ignore all the Common-quality items.

You can also send stuff to the Storehouse from the item menu while on the Map Screen or while at the blacksmith. That's what I did with some of the more unique items.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

If it were like Souls, where armor is barely important stats-wise then yeah, sure, keep any assorted pieces you like the look of. But in Nioh, the random stats on armor can be extremely important.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Falcon2001 posted:

Its not random. Revenant drops dont count

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Huh, turns out the Crusher titles(Beat a boss without getting hit) only care if the hit does damage. So if you get hit but take 0 damage(Guarding or immune) it doesn't count and you can still get the title.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

WaltherFeng posted:

Its not random. Revenant drops dont count

Well hell, today I learned something.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Just killed Kelly, but all the levels are now 150+. I’m level 107. Is there a quick way to level up postgame?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The level listed for a mission doesn't really mean anything, it's just for comparing missions. Anyway the DLC is pretty hard so I'd recommend doing a bit of NG+ and getting some divine gear before attempting it.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

I typically farmed amrita in The Demon King Revealed with the xp boosting sake, because there's a lot of big yokai and your ninja squad helps you kill things quickly

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Unfinish3d posted:

I typically farmed amrita in The Demon King Revealed with the xp boosting sake, because there's a lot of big yokai and your ninja squad helps you kill things quickly

I think that you get access to all Way of the Strong missions as soon as you finish The Queen's Eyes in NG. If so, you should try any missions that include an NPC partner there. The Demon King Revealed, A Request from Ginchiyo and that one mission that takes place in the map with the ship (not The Conspirators, the other one) where you get a buddy.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Azran posted:

I think that you get access to all Way of the Strong missions as soon as you finish The Queen's Eyes in NG. If so, you should try any missions that include an NPC partner there. The Demon King Revealed, A Request from Ginchiyo and that one mission that takes place in the map with the ship (not The Conspirators, the other one) where you get a buddy.

You still have to clear a bunch of missions to unlock new regions, by filling that progress bar

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Azran posted:

I think the Ginchiyo mission is the only one available from the start though.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Weird, first time I got to NG+ all the regions were unlocked in the region list. I didn't check if all missions in them were unlocked though, I will take a screenshot tomorrow.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Unfinish3d posted:

You still have to clear a bunch of missions to unlock new regions, by filling that progress bar

Yeah but the progress bar counts any mission completed I think, not just main missions, so you could probably speedrun a difficulty by hitting up the short and easy missions as they open then hit up Queen's Eye to unlock the next difficulty and set of floors in Abyss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

This is how my Way of the Strong map looks like at the moment.

Keep in mind I haven't done a single mission yet

Yet I've got everything, including DLC, unlocked.