Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Just install Windows 10.
Most Win 7 keys will be accepted at installation still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Rexxed posted:

Windows 8 and 10 are pretty good at booting off of completely new hardware. You're not guaranteed anything, but I've had a SSD installed on an old AMD E-350 move to an old Intel Core 2 Duo system then to an i3-2120 system and work normally. That's one install with three different chipsets and CPU architectures.

This is what I'm counting on--taking the 2.5" SSD out of my 5yr old laptop and plugging it into a new desktop, because it definitely would not fit into the new laptop I'm buying (which only takes M.2).

If it goes the way I want it to, it ought to save both money and time, both of which can be applied to getting superior desktop hardware up and running instead.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I have a general question that I can't really give specifics about at the moment, but I built a PC about 10 years ago....in general if I wanted to build a new PC how much of that old build is reusable? I know for sure I have an Antec 900 case, which appears to still be sold (albeit with upgraded USB 3.0). But like is the power supply probably reusable? RAM? Motherboard?

Maybe a better question is if I'm just better off slapping an SSD in the old build and seeing how it runs. But I want to run Photoshop and Adobe Premier on it so I'm not sure how well the old Core 2 Quad is going to do with those.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Probably just the case, maybe hdds.

You'd want a new PSU because they can fail with age and fry other components

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Well poo poo, the new Ryzen 3 2200G and Ryzen 5 2400G look like great CPUs that will perform well for games without the need of a GPU. The 2200G is $100 so even if down the line it isn't performing or your standards change you could always add a GPU in.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
$129.99 is the best price ever according to pcpartpicker for this SanDisk 500 GB SSD: https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-500GB-Ultra-NAND-SATA/dp/B072R78B6Q/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&srs=2530343011&ie=UTF8&qid=1518467917&sr=1-4

Do SanDisk SSDs have a good history?

3peat
May 6, 2010

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

$129.99 is the best price ever according to pcpartpicker for this SanDisk 500 GB SSD: https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-500GB-Ultra-NAND-SATA/dp/B072R78B6Q/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&srs=2530343011&ie=UTF8&qid=1518467917&sr=1-4

Get a Crucial MX500

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0784SLQM6/ref=twister_B078HBG3HK?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
The MX500 500GB is $135 right now and is more than 5% better in QD1 reads, which is the spec you really want in an SSD.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Probably just the case, maybe hdds.

You'd want a new PSU because they can fail with age and fry other components

Hrmm, I'm getting the feeling that I shouldn't reuse the PSU I pulled out of the PC that just got fried or borked somehow. It's relatively new (<2 years) but something went wrong in that system and I had to rebuild. I thought it was poor ventilation caused the CPU to fail, but never confirmed.

Drop the dough for a fresh one to be safe?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I upgraded my monitor to 2560x1600 this weekend. A few of my high-demand games are dipping down to 40-45fps with the higher resolution; it's honestly not that bad, but I think I might upgrade my GTX 970 within the next year if the price is right. Are there any worthwhile upgrades, or should I just pray that cryptocurrency gets dislodged from the GPU market somehow?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

DizzyBum posted:

I upgraded my monitor to 2560x1600 this weekend. A few of my high-demand games are dipping down to 40-45fps with the higher resolution; it's honestly not that bad, but I think I might upgrade my GTX 970 within the next year if the price is right. Are there any worthwhile upgrades, or should I just pray that cryptocurrency gets dislodged from the GPU market somehow?

I would wait for Ampere which should be announced in a month with reasonable availability hopefully by summer depending on what happens with crypto.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

TraderStav posted:

Hrmm, I'm getting the feeling that I shouldn't reuse the PSU I pulled out of the PC that just got fried or borked somehow. It's relatively new (<2 years) but something went wrong in that system and I had to rebuild. I thought it was poor ventilation caused the CPU to fail, but never confirmed.

Drop the dough for a fresh one to be safe?

Check the PSU and see if you can see any scorching on any parts I inside.

Psus aren't too expensive, and and a very important part. Make sure you get a reputable one with a 7 or 10 year warranty

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

pgroce posted:

Bumping this since I want to make the buy today or tomorrow. This is the OP recommendation, but I’m not sure if it’s still the best choice if I’m also transcoding media on it.

Dropped the dime on this. Also picked up a Seasonic Platinum 750w PSU our of sheer paranoia, so I’m replacing pretty much everything but the drives.

Thanks for keeping the OP current. Hope this thing delivers.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
After 5 years I am finally looking to upgrade my GtX 660 gpu as it’s just not up to scratch with games past 2015. I see in my long hiatus that crypto currency has put the prices through the roof. Looking for a decent upgrade for budget 300-400 pounds ($500). Any suggestions?

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002
i'm upgrading to an i7-8700k (thanks to BIG HEADLINE for saving me money on the buy with that ebay link at the perfect time) and rather than rebuilding in my antec 900 which is in kinda rough shape, i was thinking of switching to something smaller, quieter and a little cleaner looking, since my tastes for big noisy industrial night-lights has waned over the years.

i'd be looking to do some moderate overclocking in time. is it feasible to get the necessary airflow in a compact form factor? i don't mean like home theater toaster sized, but something smaller than the 900 i was using before would sure be nice. i was looking at the micro ATX form factor and the Fractal Design Define Mini C TG is one of the more attractive options i've seen, but the micro ATX z370 mobo offerings seem pretty sparse; was considering the ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-G Gaming but i really don't know enough about the current mobo market to know if this is a sound choice or not. i'm not married to micro ATX if there are better options.

i've been looking around for a few days but i need a functional pc by this time next week and i kind of just want to pull the trigger on something. any suggestions on cases, or mobos, or maybe i'm dumb for wanting a micro ATX build?

the nucas fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Feb 13, 2018

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

the nucas posted:

i'm upgrading to an i7-8700k (thanks to BIG HEADLINE for saving me money on the buy with that ebay link at the perfect time) and rather than rebuilding in my antec 900 which is in kinda rough shape, i was thinking of switching to something smaller, quieter and a little cleaner looking, since my tastes for big noisy industrial night-lights has waned over the years.

i'd be looking to do some moderate overclocking in time. is it feasible to get the necessary airflow in a compact form factor? i don't mean like home theater toaster sized, but something smaller than the 900 i was using before would sure be nice. i was looking at the micro ATX form factor and the Fractal Design Define Mini C TG is one of the more attractive options i've seen, but the micro ATX z370 mobo offerings seem pretty sparse; was considering the ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-G Gaming but i really don't know enough about the current mobo market to know if this is a sound choice or not. i'm not married to micro ATX if there are better options.

i've been looking around for a few days but i need a functional pc by this time next week and i kind of just want to pull the trigger on something. any suggestions on cases, or mobos, or maybe i'm dumb for wanting a micro ATX build?

The Z370G is a very good mATX board. Custom ASUS sound codec based off the S1220A, Intel NIC, twin M.2 slots (one vertically-oriented) on the same side of the motherboard (kind of a rarity on mATX without it being on the back), USB 3.1 Gen 2 (albeit Type A slots only)...it's got a good collection of features. EVGA makes a very solid mATX Z370 board...but they chose to give it only two DIMM slots, which is a killer for me.

As for mATX case options, I've always been partial to the Corsair Air series simply because they can be side-oriented, have an absolute ton of interior space (as well as a two-chambered setup for easy PSU cable routing), and have excellent airflow potential: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139044&cm_re=corsair_air-_-11-139-044-_-Product

Also I think they just look snazzy. :D

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Feb 13, 2018

ufarn
May 30, 2009
How futureproof is 3200 DDR4 RAM btw? Is there going to be something new a year from now, or will the sticks still be perfectly fine for a while?

(Manufacturers still making up their mind about ECC RAM aside.)

Khorne
May 1, 2002

ufarn posted:

How futureproof is 3200 DDR4 RAM btw? Is there going to be something new a year from now, or will the sticks still be perfectly fine for a while?

(Manufacturers still making up their mind about ECC RAM aside.)
3200 CAS14 is going to last you a long time. Until DDR4 is no longer relevant.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Feb 13, 2018

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I'm looking to build a high end gaming machine, and also use it for work. I built this based on the OP. What do y'all think? Any obvious incompatibilities? is the memory a waste of money? The grand total seems like a good price for what you get. I would use my existing SSD and video card.

Intel Core i7-8700K Coffee Lake 6-Core 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 (300 Series) 95W BX80684I78700K Desktop ...
$374.99

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z370 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard
$259.99

G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 4600 (PC4 36800) Intel X299 Platform Desktop Memory Model ...
$397.99

be quiet! SILENT BASE 800 WINDOW ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Black
$129.90

Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-850FX 850W 80+ Gold ATX12V & EPS12V Full Modular 120mm FDB Fan Compact 140 mm Size Power ...
$119.99

Noctua NH-U12S 120x120x25mm ( NF-F12 PWM) SSO2-Bearing ( Self-stabilising oil-presure bearing ) CPU Cooler
$62.45

Total: $1,345.31

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

headcase posted:

I'm looking to build a high end gaming machine, and also use it for work. I built this based on the OP. What do y'all think? Any obvious incompatibilities? is the memory a waste of money? The grand total seems like a good price for what you get. I would use my existing SSD and video card.

Depends on your work load.

Id be hard pressed to recommend paying the premium for those memory speeds that fast unless you plan on attempting a 5.0Ghz stable OC with dual GTX titans. DDR4-3400 is still very fast unless you notice substantial gains on whatever work you’re doing, which will almost certainly benefit more from a 32GB 3400 kit over a 16GB for the same price. If you’re doing the OC then you might want the 850W psu, other a 650W will do it.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 13, 2018

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Khorne posted:

3200 CAS14 is going to last you a long time. Until DDR4 is no longer relevant.
And DDR5 isn't remotely on the horizon, right?

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

M_Gargantua posted:

Depends on your work load.

Id be hard pressed to recommend paying the premium for those memory speeds that fast unless you plan on attempting a 5.0Ghz stable OC with dual GTX titans. DDR4-3400 is still very fast unless you notice substantial gains on whatever work you’re doing, which will almost certainly benefit more from a 32GB 3400 kit over a 16GB for the same price. If you’re doing the OC then you might want the 850W psu, other a 650W will do it.

What is the sweet spot for memory for that setup?

edit: I guess you are saying 3400. I'll give it a shot.

headcase fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 13, 2018

Khorne
May 1, 2002

ufarn posted:

And DDR5 isn't remotely on the horizon, right?
Current prediction is 2020 at the earliest.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

headcase posted:

What is the sweet spot for memory for that setup?

edit: I guess you are saying 3400. I'll give it a shot.

Diminishing return kicks in at around 3200 I believe.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Dead Goon posted:

Cool. I modified it to 32GB of 3600, and it just added a few bucks.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

the nucas posted:

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The Z370G is a very good mATX board. Custom ASUS sound codec based off the S1220A, Intel NIC, twin M.2 slots (one vertically-oriented) on the same side of the motherboard (kind of a rarity on mATX without it being on the back), USB 3.1 Gen 2 (albeit Type A slots only)...it's got a good collection of features. EVGA makes a very solid mATX Z370 board...but they chose to give it only two DIMM slots, which is a killer for me.

As for mATX case options, I've always been partial to the Corsair Air series simply because they can be side-oriented, have an absolute ton of interior space (as well as a two-chambered setup for easy PSU cable routing), and have excellent airflow potential: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139044&cm_re=corsair_air-_-11-139-044-_-Product

Also I think they just look snazzy. :D
I'm also in this situation; I've got a i7-2600k and a GTX-970 4g but I've got bearings going on all my 120mm fans (I have a regrettable box fan cpu cooler) and they're rattling and making noise non-stop. My PC is long in the tooth and pretty much 100% for gaming (single thread priority). The biggest issue is I'm looking to to keep my video card but it requires a 300-310mm allowance which is stupid large and annoying - I had to dremel my current case to fit, and the one you linked is only 290 mm. I'd upgrade everything but prices are bitcoin insane right now so I figure my best bet is to just ugprade mb/cpu/memory right now and buy a new case when I get a new video card (next year-ish). I shouldn't need a new PS, since I have a 850W cooler master silent pro.

I don't have a strict budget but I was looking at ~1k for mb/cpu/mem; I'm guessing the i7-8700k is the best fit for me as well? I'm comfortable with overclocking and would definitely want an OC compatible heatsink if that's the best direction. I just want quieetttttt. I should also mention I live near a micro center, so I can probably buy one of their bundles if it's a good deal. Mostly I guess I need to get a good cooler & MB & memory (need 16gb to offset my not premium graphics card) to match.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 13, 2018

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Dead Goon posted:

Yep. Hardware Unboxed do some of the best benchmarks on this iirc, but I could only find this right now: https://www.techspot.com/article/1171-ddr4-4000-mhz-performance/page3.html

e: Here's another one I have lying around: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Core_i7_8700K_Coffee_Lake_Memory_Performance_Benchmark_Analysis/10.html

ufarn fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 13, 2018

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Hey, whats the best way for me to transfer over my boot drive to a new disk? Yesterday, I realized that my 120 GB drive was hilariously tiny and insanely full, so I bought a 500GB replacement, but I'm unsure of how to actually copy everything over.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

The Glumslinger posted:

Hey, whats the best way for me to transfer over my boot drive to a new disk? Yesterday, I realized that my 120 GB drive was hilariously tiny and insanely full, so I bought a 500GB replacement, but I'm unsure of how to actually copy everything over.

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

Has always done the job for me

waxluthor
May 28, 2003

The Glumslinger posted:

I'm planning on doing the same thing. My Windows 10 was upgraded from an OEM copy of 7. Will the license transfer over with no issues? What if I upgrade motherboard/CPU at the same time?

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
All my parts are here and I'm really excited to build, thanks for the help thread. I'll post a trip report and pix when I'm done. The one thing I'm apprehensive about is going to be the :ohdear: feeling I get when 1080p @ 144hz looks so good I think about getting a 1440 @ 165hz monitor.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Good Will Hrunting posted:

All my parts are here and I'm really excited to build, thanks for the help thread. I'll post a trip report and pix when I'm done. The one thing I'm apprehensive about is going to be the :ohdear: feeling I get when 1080p @ 144hz looks so good I think about getting a 1440 @ 165hz monitor.

Can I go back and check out your build, or can you repost it? I am probably looking for something similar.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

headcase posted:

Can I go back and check out your build, or can you repost it? I am probably looking for something similar.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sLBpjc

Actual price was about $1600. Thanks #sales and MicroCenter 3.5% tax + NewEgg 0% tax.

My only other upgrade to my gaming setup for hopefully 4 or so years will be a 27" 144hz 1440p whenever they're affordable.

Good Will Hrunting fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 13, 2018

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Your link is not broken but it is not working as intended

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

stump collector posted:

Your link is not broken but it is not working as intended

Fixed :)

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Good Will Hrunting posted:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sLBpjc
Actual price was about $1600. Thanks #sales and MicroCenter 3.5% tax + NewEgg 0% tax.

I like it. I'm going just a hair fancier, but I don't upgrade very often. My current machine was built in 2009, but has a modern graphics card and SSD.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

headcase posted:

I like it. I'm going just a hair fancier, but I don't upgrade very often. My current machine was built in 2009, but has a modern graphics card and SSD.

What upgrades are you thinking versus my build?

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

It is up about 10 posts but:

Intel Core i7-8700K Coffee Lake 6-Core 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 (300 Series) 95W BX80684I78700K Desktop ...
$374.99

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z370 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard
$259.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Intel Z170 / Z270 / Z370 / X299 Desktop ...
$397.99

be quiet! SILENT BASE 800 WINDOW ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Black
$129.90

Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-850FX 850W 80+ Gold ATX12V & EPS12V Full Modular 120mm FDB Fan Compact 140 mm Size Power ...
$119.99

Noctua NH-U12S 120x120x25mm ( NF-F12 PWM) SSO2-Bearing ( Self-stabilising oil-presure bearing ) CPU Cooler
$62.45

Total: $1,345.31 *not including videocard or SSD

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
The ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero is a bit overkill unless you have a particular need for any of it's features? You could cut $70 swapping to an Asus STRIX motherboard and put that into an AIO water cpu cooler. The 800 is a big case.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
The U12S isn't particularly good from a pure value standpoint either, there are some well regarded cheaper coolers that outperform the U12S like these:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/8GBrxr/scythe-mugen-5-rev-b-512-cfm-cpu-cooler-scmg-5100
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/4TCrxr/thermalright-cpu-cooler-machorevb

The bigger Noctua U14S is close in price too.