Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

isndl posted:

Caesar's got bats in the hallway, the problem is getting them stacked for leadership. Do they have a Chief Warlord after Caesar got promoted? The dolls don't have any leadership, but they would have the bonus from Bill.

This is the exact kind of hypothetical situation Parson loves to wargame and he just got zapped out of the picture. Maybe Jack can pick up the slack though.

Vinny is Chief Warlord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Jack and Maggie are literally the two people most likely to understand how Parson thinks. They're not him, but they're as close as Caesar's likely to get.

Also, if the capital isn't a Palace now, I'll eat a hat.

Edit: :toxx:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Maggie might just kill Bill with her bare hands.

I feel like she would need a sword, and a yellow catsuit.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Maggie might just kill Bill with her bare hands.

She'd need a yellow...

Cat Mattress posted:

I feel like she would need a sword, and a yellow catsuit.

Damnit. :mad:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Time to watch Benjamin and/or the tower entity save the day with totally unexpected shenanigans, I guess, because there's basically no one else left to do it. Well, I bet all those gems back up in the war room will play a central role. Time to see what else Moneymancers can do with a big pile of schmuckers.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I've lost track of what contracts are enforcing what. Who in this room would make their side pay a fine for attacking Bill? I remember the payment scales weirdly which is why GK has all their money stashed in gems at TV

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Ditocoaf posted:

I've lost track of what contracts are enforcing what. Who in this room would make their side pay a fine for attacking Bill? I remember the payment scales weirdly which is why GK has all their money stashed in gems at TV

The fine for the GK-Charlie contract was capped to a fraction of the offending side's treasury, so if GK units attacked Bill and his dolls right now they'd pay very little, while it would cost Bill a lot to fight back.

I don't think we know of any restrictions on GK-TV fighting due to Don King's off-screen contract.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I thought they just said Charlescomm can’t attack Transylvito without paying a penalty. Presumably Bill popped his trap and then turned.

Grogquock
May 2, 2009
Its interesting that a unit can act against a side (cursing the necklace if that's what happened) while it is still a member of the side, since ostensibly until you turned you still have to act to benefit the side even if you hate the ruler (low loyalty) or the activity is not what the ruler wants. It'd be hard to justify setting up a death trap on the overlord without a heir as being good for the side. Have we seen that before? Every other time there was a backstab, the turning happened first that I can think of.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Grogquock posted:

Its interesting that a unit can act against a side (cursing the necklace if that's what happened) while it is still a member of the side, since ostensibly until you turned you still have to act to benefit the side even if you hate the ruler (low loyalty) or the activity is not what the ruler wants. It'd be hard to justify setting up a death trap on the overlord without a heir as being good for the side. Have we seen that before? Every other time there was a backstab, the turning happened first that I can think of.

Wanda, selling out Faq to Stanley?

Grogquock
May 2, 2009

isndl posted:

Wanda, selling out Faq to Stanley?

I thought that was justified in thinking that Stanley would have died in the attack and lost the Arkentool to her as a caster of FAQ, which would have lead to greater strength for the side. That might just have been her spin on it of course.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

All units in Erfworld feel Duty (an emotional obligation to the side) and Loyalty (an emotional obligation to the people on the side), but they're both finite forces. Units can act against either one if they're sufficiently strongly motivated.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

The fine for the GK-Charlie contract was capped to a fraction of the offending side's treasury, so if GK units attacked Bill and his dolls right now they'd pay very little, while it would cost Bill a lot to fight back.

I don't think we know of any restrictions on GK-TV fighting due to Don King's off-screen contract.

It was PARTLY a fraction but also had a lower bound of several million schmuckers, payable in units or cities. It would still cost Bill way more to fight back than GK to attack him in the first place though.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I wonder is Appletini is gonna show and get croaked.

Also i hope no skip this fri

Grogquock
May 2, 2009

Rand Brittain posted:

All units in Erfworld feel Duty (an emotional obligation to the side) and Loyalty (an emotional obligation to the people on the side), but they're both finite forces. Units can act against either one if they're sufficiently strongly motivated.

I just remembered Marie and Georgia Powers additionally. That was a direct example of it. She also said she didn't serve Stanley and that she had no loyalty to her current side.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Turned units have infamously low loyalty. Which, incidentally, you'd think could be solved with the strongest Loyalty there is...

Date-a-mancy. :j:

Erev
Jun 9, 2013

Donkringel posted:

Also i hope no skip this fri

Way to curse it.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Erev posted:

Way to curse it.
I am going to curse it even further. Next update is Parson or Wanda perspective. We don't see Caesar until 2 weeks pass.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Donkringel posted:

I am going to curse it even further. Next update is Parson or Wanda perspective. We don't see Caesar until 2 weeks pass.

We're getting a Vinny update. Then a Parson update, then another update from Magic Kingdom, then another from Wandas perspective when she meets Jillian. Then the aftermath of the drama in Transylvania with all the tense bits resolved off-screen from the perspective of Charlie who muses how his plot failed but he made a bunch of money back.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Hob_Gadling posted:

We're getting a Vinny update. Then a Parson update, then another update from Magic Kingdom, then another from Wandas perspective when she meets Jillian. Then the aftermath of the drama in Transylvania with all the tense bits resolved off-screen from the perspective of Charlie who muses how his plot failed but he made a bunch of money back.

And several more skips littered in there.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
Y'all are forgetting Tramennis getting an opinion in somewhere.

Though, not to jinx it further or anything, but I like that guy and would rather be following his plot threads instead.

Grogquock
May 2, 2009
When was the last time we saw an honest to goodness normal battle that this universe was literally designed around? 500 pages ago?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah, I'm coming back around to the idea that Erfworld would make a great campaign setting, but it's kind of on-and-off a terrible comic.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

PMush Perfect posted:

Yeah, I'm coming back around to the idea that Erfworld would make a great campaign setting, but it's kind of on-and-off a terrible comic.

the decline in quality coincided exactly with balder ditching narrative for world building so I agree

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Grogquock posted:

When was the last time we saw an honest to goodness normal battle that this universe was literally designed around? 500 pages ago?

I want to say the initial brawl right before Spacerock, the one where Ansom had a discussion with Ossomer and Tramennis.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Every side will end up to have had half a dozen casters in reserve, every newly ontriduced one will have more fantastic and bullshit secret powers than the last.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Grogquock posted:

Well, if we take "saw" extremely loosely, there was I'm Coming For You Stanley and the Betrayal of Faq, plus Marie's Predictamancy-powered massacre in Jillian's new capital. It's just that those were barely even shown - they're all one-sided absolute curbstomps, and he usually just spends a page or two laying out the plans of the attacker and then skips straight to "and then they won, the end, check back next week for what some side character thinks about how this battle went". Same thing in Portal Park. The last real on-screen battle we've seen, I think, is Stanley's raid against Jillian waaaaaaay back at the beginning of the current book, nearly 300 pages ago. And even then, most of the big developments in that fight took place in Thinkagrams while Stanley and Jillian kinda just wheeled around letting other people scheme on their behalf.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

nimby posted:

Every side will end up to have had half a dozen casters in reserve, every newly ontriduced one will have more fantastic and bullshit secret powers than the last.

Erfworld Z.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
It's a real shame that the comic is plagued by delays, skips and meandering writing. I re-read the first book and it's still a solid piece. There's several twists and the result is not clear until the very end. The characters are interesting and fun to read about, with strengths and weaknesses to their personalities. One of my favorite bits of the comic is still Parson talking for the first time to Prince Ansom. That one scene sets the stage between the two opposing sides perfectly.

One of the most important things that has changed is the feeling that the reader has been given all the important clues. A detective story loses much of its punch if the writer pulls a key witness out of nowhere to solve the tension. Same thing with Erf. It gets worse every time there's a "surprise" revelation of something ever more powerful that hasn't been hinted at. There's several already: Jed, guns, rigged portals, entire "under the gameboard" fortresses, godlike mindmancer ghosts running around... And this is a shame, because up until book 2 everything was foreshadowed properly. The most powerful trick during that fight was the "end turn" spell which never felt like a deux ex machina, Parson had after all won the last time around with something similar. And this time too, it wasn't a simple "I win" button.

I would still like to like this comic but man, is it hard.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Hob_Gadling posted:

It gets worse every time there's a "surprise" revelation of something ever more powerful that hasn't been hinted at. There's several already: Jed, guns, rigged portals, entire "under the gameboard" fortresses, godlike mindmancer ghosts running around..

I really only follow this by reading this thread these days but lol that it has gotten this overcomplicated. Rob wrote all of these nice rules for himself about stacking and dancing and leadership multipliers and then like every fantasy setting immediately got lost in the minute powers of his own magic system.

Grogquock
May 2, 2009
Its a good thing all this TV stuff is getting wrapped up now that the main character is home and back in play and not derailing further into the 3rd or 4th Charlie contract and negotiation situation with this very same secondary side and characters.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Charlie wants to be hardcore but his mom won't let him.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Well, that's not good.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Are you guys ready to mine bitcoins for erfworld?

http://www.erfworld.com/blog/view/58104/mine4erf-beta-test

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Korgan posted:

"Our advertisers have been evil, so we're going to trade them in for a worse evil. But it's a more reliable source of money and you get some virtual toys for it."

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I guess if the other option is to actually make comics and update on time for that sweet Patreon money, having readers mine for ErfCoins is the best choice.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Kickstarter idea that's been proven to work at least once? Nah. Chasing a sketchy techbubble that's already deflating? Now we're talking!

Then again, if you're looking for obsessive nerds with too much disposable income and too little sense, r/bitcoin is a good place to start.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

reignofevil posted:

I really only follow this by reading this thread these days but lol that it has gotten this overcomplicated. Rob wrote all of these nice rules for himself about stacking and dancing and leadership multipliers and then like every fantasy setting immediately got lost in the minute powers of his own magic system.

It's pretty clear Rob needs someone like Jamie who can keep him from wandering off into the weeds when writing scripts. Book 1 was really a tightly written story for the most part. Subsequent efforts have been bogged down by Rob indulging his own worst habits. I don't blame Jamie for jumping ship as soon as they were done with book 1. Rob seems like he'd be hard to work with.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Korgan posted:

At least it's a separate opt-in program, rather than just embedding a javascript miner and stealing people's CPU cycles in the background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

John_A_Tallon posted:

Rob seems like he'd be hard to work with.
There's a reason it's so hard to find artists for ErfWorld, and it isn't a lack of funds. He's actually talked in the past about how many drafts he can go through with an artist to get a page's visual references just right. I'd call him the Stanley Kubrick of webcomics, but Kubrick's stuff is actually good.