Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Inescapable Duck posted:

As for melee weapons, the machetes and knives do have combo attacks of a sword, with a reverse-grip follow up, iirc. It's the heavier ones that have less variety in swings. (and they still have special attacks in VATS)

I really wish you could execute VATS melee moves outside of VATS. Would make melee a lot more fun in NV; I don't use VATS very often, I prefer my combat realtime for the most part, which makes most of the melee pretty boring. Even just an additional move or two really spices things up; for example, the unarmed moves you can learn make that a really fun way to play the game, and if I want to get close I usually find myself going unarmed so I can scribe counter, khan trick, and especially do the flying legion punch I forget the name of. Ranger takedown is sorta... tough to pull off, even if I like the idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Sidenote: Everyone is still acting like the Legion is still a major threat despite the fact that I just wiped out all of their leaders and have destroyed all of their bases, is it just going to stay that way until I complete the main questline? Because at this point it's a little unrealistic.

The lore is that the legion camp you enter is just the tip of the spear and the rest of the legion is mustering further east under the command of the legate (who is the final boss whether or not you kill Caesar when you have the chance). The legion will hold together long enough to assault the dam for the finale, but without Caesar they're doomed to collapse into infighting in a decade or so.

All that aside, engine limits mean you won't see much difference; there'll still be legion troops roaming around, you'll still get attacked by legionary assassins every couple days, etc.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Sidenote: Everyone is still acting like the Legion is still a major threat despite the fact that I just wiped out all of their leaders and have destroyed all of their bases, is it just going to stay that way until I complete the main questline? Because at this point it's a little unrealistic.
You'll hear Mr. New Vegas give a report about the Legion's major general, Lanius. Obsidz was smart enough to recognize that the real draw of an action movie isn't the fight with the evil mastermind, it's the fight with the Dragon, and so they left him for last.

Of course if you've got the DLC you're liable to mow his rear end down in less than 5 seconds with whatever you've got, but it's the thought that counts.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Even without the DLC he's pretty squishy. It's the trouble with having almost all your enemies being humans, a problem I run into running D&D-style games a lot- humans make the most interesting potential enemies because they can have complex motivations, can be jerks or sympathetic, the player can want to side with them or against them or just not care, they do a lot of things you can't do with monsters. New Vegas is almost all humans, so Obsidian clearly gets that. The downside is that there's only so much threat a person can ever be without feeling like you just set them up to be arbitrarily & unrealistically strong. Some settings can ameliorate that a bit with things like power armor, but with power armor comes weapons that are designed to defeat power armor. This leaves you in a pretty tough situation when your final boss is just a guy.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

aniviron posted:

Even without the DLC he's pretty squishy. It's the trouble with having almost all your enemies being humans, a problem I run into running D&D-style games a lot- humans make the most interesting potential enemies because they can have complex motivations, can be jerks or sympathetic, the player can want to side with them or against them or just not care, they do a lot of things you can't do with monsters. New Vegas is almost all humans, so Obsidian clearly gets that. The downside is that there's only so much threat a person can ever be without feeling like you just set them up to be arbitrarily & unrealistically strong. Some settings can ameliorate that a bit with things like power armor, but with power armor comes weapons that are designed to defeat power armor. This leaves you in a pretty tough situation when your final boss is just a guy.

This is one of the reasons I wish Fallout had expanded on the talking Deathclaws concept from Falllout 2 my friend told me about. I want an all monster faction, I want organized and intelligent Deathclaws I can either team up with or fight against. I want an entire Deathclaw society and social structure, I want three dimensional Deathclaw allies and enemies. Super Mutants and Ghouls are great, but they're still things that came from humans, it's be intresting to see how humanity at large would react to something completely non-human like a Deathclaw walking up to their settlement in a tophat and saying "Hello new friends, I'd like to open trade relations with you!".

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Just give the bad guy VATS

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

This is one of the reasons I wish Fallout had expanded on the talking Deathclaws concept from Falllout 2 my friend told me about. I want an all monster faction, I want organized and intelligent Deathclaws I can either team up with or fight against.

Play Fallout: Tactics. You'll get everything except the top hats.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
It's a bit of a shame Lanius wasn't just some kind of FEV freak. I wouldn't have complained about them returning to the Frank Horrigan well.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Play Fallout: Tactics. You'll get everything except the top hats.

Not giving friendly Deathclaws top hats seems like a huge oversight on the part of the developers, but okay I'll check out tactics when I'm done with New Vegas.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Keeshhound posted:

All that aside, engine limits mean you won't see much difference; there'll still be legion troops roaming around, you'll still get attacked by legionary assassins every couple days, etc.

You can get a free whiskey from Whatshername Garrett at the Atomic Wrangler!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I play jswayer but Lanius is usually an interesting fight, if not as hard as Lonesome Road and some of the other side content

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Not giving friendly Deathclaws top hats seems like a huge oversight on the part of the developers, but okay I'll check out tactics when I'm done with New Vegas.

It's... okay.

A lot of really cool concepts, some fun mechanics, but the line by line writing is pretty lowbrow even by Fallout standards.

That said, your final team can be a Deathclaw driver/medic/grenadier, a kleptomaniacal ghoul in power armor, a supermutant with a minigun, a killer robot, and the Vault Boy.

Just make sure to train someone up in energy weapons. Come endgame, you'll be glad you did.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
ive played the game like 5 times but never fought lanious because i always have 100 speech. :smith:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Iretep posted:

ive played the game like 5 times but never fought lanious because i always have 100 speech. :smith:

killling lanius is the good end

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

chiasaur11 posted:

It's... okay.

A lot of really cool concepts, some fun mechanics, but the line by line writing is pretty lowbrow even by Fallout standards.

That said, your final team can be a Deathclaw driver/medic/grenadier, a kleptomaniacal ghoul in power armor, a supermutant with a minigun, a killer robot, and the Vault Boy.

Just make sure to train someone up in energy weapons. Come endgame, you'll be glad you did.

should be pointed out that fallout tactics is explicitly not an RPG; the writing and worldbuilding's not up to the level of FO1 and FO2 but, well. oh well. it's kinda the same

still love it though

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

should be pointed out that fallout tactics is explicitly not an RPG; the writing and worldbuilding's not up to the level of FO1 and FO2 but, well. oh well. it's kinda the same

still love it though

That might be a deal breaker for me, one of my favorite parts of New Vegas has been the writing.

After New Vegas which of the Fallout games should I play next if I want good lore/story? Should I go back and play 1 or skip straight to 4?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

fallout threahahahaha

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

That might be a deal breaker for me, one of my favorite parts of New Vegas has been the writing.

After New Vegas which of the Fallout games should I play next if I want good lore/story? Should I go back and play 1 or skip straight to 4?

1. I mean, it's a pain to play these days, but for lore it's probably the best one remaining. Less random wacky stuff than in 2, and it's actually written with some thought to how the world fits together, unlike 3.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Depends on what you're interested in - if it's lore then probably 1 & 2 are where you're going to get the most of it. Keep in mind a lot of the Fallout lore proper was really only spelled out in the Fallout Bible which came out after 2; around the time Interplay was going tits up and taking Black Isle with it. It contains a lot of 'what I would've done if we had the chance'. The first two games have a lot of tidbids and backstory scattered around but you'll find little actually spelled out for you outside of the intro cinematics. edit: also, I should clarify that 1 & 2 have also aged very poorly. I remember them fondly because I played them when they came out. If you're just diving in then, well, good luck!

As for the others - Tactics, as mentioned, isn't an RPG and I don't know if Bethesda even considers it canon. If you wanted to play one of the newer ones I'd recommend 4 over 3; don't get me wrong I actually enjoyed Fallout 3 but it has aged poorly and 4 is just a much more solid game. Both have very nonsensical stories, 4 is better at world building and lore though.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Fallout 1 is definitely very aged in terms of gameplay but its presentation of the world is really cool. If you like the Fallout setting it's a must play. Good thing is that it's honestly a pretty easy game and remarkably short compared to most of the other titles in the series. Honestly apart from 1 and NV the rest of the Fallout series kinda sucks at storytelling and worldbuilding. Fallout 2 tries too hard to be wacky and I think is really too big for its own good.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Tactics is fine from a writing standpoint, and it does "you're actually a fascist conqueror" much better than Tyranny eventually did, but it is completely devoid of the ironic wit of the other games. There's some very spare, very black comedy, but for the most part it's pretty relentless.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I'm really surprised to find people recommending Fallout 4 over 3. Fallout 4 is barely even an RPG by any standard. It looks a lot better than FO3 and it doesn't have that weird jankiness that FO3 and FNV have where movement and shooting feel terrible but other than that FO3 is superior in almost every way. Fallout 4 is pretty much just the main quest and then a bunch of radiant "go to x kill y enemies and return" quests. Fallout 3 is a fine Fallout game besides the main quest not being terribly good.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Gobblecoque posted:

Fallout 1 is definitely very aged in terms of gameplay but its presentation of the world is really cool. If you like the Fallout setting it's a must play. Good thing is that it's honestly a pretty easy game and remarkably short compared to most of the other titles in the series. Honestly apart from 1 and NV the rest of the Fallout series kinda sucks at storytelling and worldbuilding. Fallout 2 tries too hard to be wacky and I think is really too big for its own good.

I would also recommend at least watching/reading a comprehensive LP of the first two Fallouts because they do a ton to set up the situation in New Vegas. New Vegas is sort of the "true" Fallout 3 because it's a direct continuation of the setting, characters, and politics from Fallout 2.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

aniviron posted:

I'm really surprised to find people recommending Fallout 4 over 3. Fallout 4 is barely even an RPG by any standard. It looks a lot better than FO3 and it doesn't have that weird jankiness that FO3 and FNV have where movement and shooting feel terrible but other than that FO3 is superior in almost every way. Fallout 4 is pretty much just the main quest and then a bunch of radiant "go to x kill y enemies and return" quests. Fallout 3 is a fine Fallout game besides the main quest not being terribly good.

4 is more immediately enjoyable than 3 because of that better feeling gameplay. It's only in the longer term that you realize it's got the depth of a teacup and loses its luster.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Wingnut Ninja posted:

4 is more immediately enjoyable than 3 because of that better feeling gameplay. It's only in the longer term that you realize it's got the depth of a teacup and loses its luster.

I've made probably 3 attempts at Fallout 4 and I always give up pretty shortly. My last attempt made it to Virgil in the Glowing Sea before I lost interest. It just wasn't holding my attention enough for me to want to go any further.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Fallout 1 and 2 are the prequels in a sense to New Vegas; no-brainer for me. Want to know where the NCR came from? In a way, who is responsible for its very existence.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
2 owns so much and the system is so easy to break. Steal a bozar, Navarro run, jinxed/max luck, sulik/super sledge, the list goes on.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I had a great deal of fun loving around with gimmick runs after getting tired of beating the games normally. Some of them got stale much faster than others but you had a surprising amount of latitude when it came to playing how you wanted. Then after discovering falche2 really picking the game apart.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Basic Chunnel posted:

Tactics is fine from a writing standpoint, and it does "you're actually a fascist conqueror" much better than Tyranny eventually did, but it is completely devoid of the ironic wit of the other games. There's some very spare, very black comedy, but for the most part it's pretty relentless.

I tend to think of the tactics BoS as a better version of Caesar's Legion.

Unlike the Legion, they're actually shown in the situation that explains (if not justifies) their methods. Where we just see the Legion when it's trying to destroy Freedom and Democracy, we see the Brotherhood fighting to survive against the sort of thing that we only hear about for Caesar. Sure, the Brotherhood is a dictatorship that crucifies people, forces villages to offer up their children as soldiers, and uses slave labor, but they're not raping and eating people's dogs, you know?

They also show more flexibility than the Legion. (Ironically more in keeping with what I've read of the original flavor Romans) Where Caesar bans tech, has women as sex slaves and executes homosexuals, the Eastern Brotherhood pretty much goes with whatever seems to work. Women in high office? Sure! Deathclaws want in? Eh, fine. Ghoul shows initiative? gently caress it! Get her some power armor, not like anyone else will do better with it. While the Legion handicaps itself even more than the NCR, the Brotherhood in Tactics play dirty and play to win.

Basically, they're both horrible people, but the pitch for the Legion is pretty weak, while the pitch for the Eastern Brotherhood hits the same highlights and has the same general outline of problems, but actually manages to show something that would be appealing to the average wastelander that the NCR doesn't do better.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

aniviron posted:

There's a team working on porting NV to the FO4 engine. My understanding is it's reasonably advanced so is unlikely to just vanish. I look forward to it because I get a better frame rate in 4 than I do in NV.

Also while we're on classic Fallout may I take the opportunity to plug Arcanum. Similar appeal: rich world, comedy here and there, lots of exploration and sidequests. Done by many of the same people as the originals. Has a more compelling plot and novel setting too. Imo plays a bit better because things like the option of real time combat and the more elaborate systems ease through the crappy mechanics.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 14, 2018

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Neurosis posted:

There's a team working on porting NV to the FO4 engine. My understanding is it's reasonably advanced so is unlikely to just vanish. I look forward to it because I get a better frame rate in 4 than I do in NV.

Also while we're on classic Fallout may I take the opportunity to plug Arcanum. Similar appeal: rich world, comedy here and there, lots of exploration and sidequests. Done by many of the same people as the originals. Has a more compelling plot and novel setting too. Imo plays a bit better because things like the option of real time combat and the more elaborate systems ease through the crappy mechanics.

I hear a lot of people shittalk game remakes and I understand why, but anyone who has played both 3/NV and 4 should be hopeful that these projects finish. For most games like Black Mesa it's just about making the game prettier which I can take or leave, whatever. But Half Life 1 still plays perfectly fine after all these years. 3/NV however, even jumping is difficult because the engine is just so garbage. Having both these games remade in an engine that doesn't suck would be so nice.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

btw i hear the shooting is way better in fo4 but is sneaking and/or melee combat better?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

StashAugustine posted:

btw i hear the shooting is way better in fo4 but is sneaking and/or melee combat better?

No. Melee combat is loving awful. Sneaking feels pretty much the same. You can equip pieces of armor that improve your stealthiness, but that's about the only big change.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

too bad about melee, this melee char just makes me wish i was playing vermintide

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Wingnut Ninja posted:

No. Melee combat is loving awful. Sneaking feels pretty much the same. You can equip pieces of armor that improve your stealthiness, but that's about the only big change.

It's worth noting that while melee combat is trash, melee builds are arguably the most powerful.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Neurosis posted:

yeah, and Skywind will be released any day now.

quote:

If Fallout 1 and 2 are too janky for someone I really wouldn't recommend Arcanum.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
And I'll bet you enjoy telling children Santa isn't real you meany! :mad:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neurosis posted:

And I'll bet you enjoy telling children Santa isn't real you meany! :mad:

Look. All I'm saying is that, if Santa brought kids Arcanum, they never would have made him a saint.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Arcanum is basically pure bank but I love it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Arcanum is so good. You really don't get games like that anymore. I bought it at release and probably beat it a dozen times.