Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Atomizer posted:

Don't do #2; if you know a flank is going to get overrun, don't go there because you're just going to throw away your tank. Either get to a defensive position, or follow the rest of the team and push that flank; the goal is to win a flank before you lose the other, then you can turn back around to defend.

Oh I meant going defensive. End up just getting rolled because there aren't any scout/medium tanks to spot anything so get surrounded.

Like just lost a match where every tank but 1 took one flank. The guy who went the other way got stomped by ~6 enemy tanks who circled around and killed the whole team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
IS-2 is a great tank. Especially when the enemy team is super bad.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Have a replay wherein I get 3 ram kills and a Kolobanov's.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Help im addicted to ramming tanks with the mod 1.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Man I've been grinding out my t-34-2 the last few days and it seems like every game is either a tier 10 game or it's got 3 tier 9 257's and I just have very little influence on the outcome of the match.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

ROFLburger posted:

Man I've been grinding out my t-34-2 the last few days and it seems like every game is either a tier 10 game or it's got 3 tier 9 257's and I just have very little influence on the outcome of the match.

I feel MM has been loving me raw the past few days.

Also, while the 257 is very good it is not as OP as people claim it to be. The roof is very weak and as long as you don't shoot the tracks you can pen it pretty easily.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I blasted a HEP round into a EVEN 90 and then ram killed it in the span of about a second with my Blackdog last night. That was immensely satisfying.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

serious gaylord posted:

I loving love the mod 1.

Even with losing 10kmh to the Type 59, with the ridiculous powered engine its just so much faster in general, particularly up and down ridges.

I think I might grab one.

What does the "this vehicle can be traded in" mean, by the way?

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
I know I should be working on my Cent 7/1, but being stupid in my Locust is too much fun.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Duzzy Funlop posted:

You can give it back to wargaming for half the gold value of another same tier tank.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Buy it. Seriously, if I can get those stats in it its a great loving tank. I'm away from home for the next few days but i'm gonna do a 'facehug tier 10's as you slowly kill them' compilation.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

serious gaylord posted:

i'm gonna do a 'facehug tier 10's as you slowly kill them' compilation.

:eyepop: I'd like to watch that

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

ROFLburger posted:

:eyepop: I'd like to watch that

Starring a TVP that thought i was easy pickings and instead fed me all but 200 of their hit points.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Duzzy Funlop posted:

it sort of dumb that you need to have enough gold to pay full price for the new tank before it'll allow you to trade another tank for it

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

and yeah the mod1 owns and the new obj 430 / 430U are sort of the same style from what I've seen so I've got to buy the T-44 back and grind those before they get nerfed, and that 268-4 is stupid op.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Fat Jesus posted:

and yeah the mod1 owns and the new obj 430 / 430U are sort of the same style from what I've seen so I've got to buy the T-44 back and grind those before they get nerfed, and that 268-4 is stupid op.

Im seeing dudes regularly get 5k damage in the 268's. One guy got 9k in a game and if it wasnt for him we'd have rolled his loving team 15-0.

Same game I facehugged the tvp to death too.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

What's good T34 equipment? I've got uh: vents, rammers, and TLD (i think). I forget if those are the correct names but it's like faster reloads, faster aiming, and more crew xp.

I've got binocs and camo net available. Also I've got enough precious silver to buy coated optics.

Also, what a good tier Vish light tank? I'm coming up on enough xp to unlock the MT-25 but people seem to say it sucks?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

appropriatemetaphor posted:

What's good T34 equipment? I've got uh: vents, rammers, and TLD (i think). I forget if those are the correct names but it's like faster reloads, faster aiming, and more crew xp.

I've got binocs and camo net available. Also I've got enough precious silver to buy coated optics.

Also, what a good tier Vish light tank? I'm coming up on enough xp to unlock the MT-25 but people seem to say it sucks?

last time i checked it was vstab rammer gld

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

MT-25 is tier 6 so you see tier 8 lights and mediums which will outspot you every single game. Even tier 7 lights and meds will outspot you unless you've got a great crew in it.

I enjoyed the tank tho, but its not as good as the LTTB at tier 7 or the tier 5.

The best tier 5 light is the amx elc.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Equipment rules:

If can use Vertical Stabilizer, always VStab.

If can use an *** Gun Rammer, always Rammer.

If your tank has above average view range for your tier, use Coated Optics. If you have 400 or more view range, use Optics.

Camoflage Net and Binoculars are exceptionally powerful for a playstyle that sucks and is bad. Sitting around and waiting tends to lose games and also be boring. If you've got an open space, having a Net and Binocs can be really good when you're low HP at the end of the game so you can just sit in a bush and outspot your enemies, but you should try to win the game before getting to that kind of position.

Vents are an extremely minor increase (effectively 2.5% to base everything) so use that if you've got a spare slot or if you're trying to min/max something in particular.

Gun Laying Drive is mostly pointless if you have a VStab since the change is so minor, but a 4 second aim time going to 3.4s is....okay GLDs suck. Use a GLD on a faster firing gun at low tiers if it ensures your aim circle fully closes between shots, otherwise don't bother.

Use Superheavy Spall Liner for crew protection or ramming. It doesn't do anything for HE damage. With medkits being reusable now you probably should never use a Spall Liner.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Which T34, US or Soviet? For the US T34 I'd go optics, rammer, vstab. For the Soviet T-34, because the 57 mm reloads faster than it aims I'd go with vents, GLD, binocs for pro-tier CHAI sniping or vents, rammer, optics for machine gun fury.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
The only problem I have with the Mod 1 now are the 190pen standard rounds. Hardly the end of the world but I reach for that 2 key more than I'd like to.

The MT-25 is a fun little go kart but it's not that good. The 57mm is fun and you can admirably clown on other lights in a duel but is otherwise mediocre.

I think all the Tier 5 light tanks are, if not good, at least fun. The 3cm Leopard is probably my favorite. I know the Crusader is now a Medium but it's the best of them all.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

serious gaylord posted:

Im seeing dudes regularly get 5k damage in the 268's. One guy got 9k in a game and if it wasnt for him we'd have rolled his loving team 15-0.

Same game I facehugged the tvp to death too.

268 4 is stupidly fast, has effectively 0 weak spots on the front and can ram HT's to death, I got shot for 550 then rammed for another 400 in a 46 Patton and could do nothing about that ridiculous tank because it seemed at least as fast as I was. Every unicorn is driving atm and nothing else.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

McGavin posted:

Which T34, US or Soviet? For the US T34 I'd go optics, rammer, vstab. For the Soviet T-34, because the 57 mm reloads faster than it aims I'd go with vents, GLD, binocs for pro-tier CHAI sniping or vents, rammer, optics for machine gun fury.

Soviet T-34. So I assume vstab isn't an option? I've never seen it on the list.

Hellsau posted:

Equipment rules:

If your tank has above average view range for your tier, use Coated Optics. If you have 400 or more view range, use Optics.

Camoflage Net and Binoculars are exceptionally powerful for a playstyle that sucks and is bad. Sitting around and waiting tends to lose games and also be boring. If you've got an open space, having a Net and Binocs can be really good when you're low HP at the end of the game so you can just sit in a bush and outspot your enemies, but you should try to win the game before getting to that kind of position.

Vents are an extremely minor increase (effectively 2.5% to base everything) so use that if you've got a spare slot or if you're trying to min/max something in particular.

Gun Laying Drive is mostly pointless if you have a VStab since the change is so minor, but a 4 second aim time going to 3.4s is....okay GLDs suck. Use a GLD on a faster firing gun at low tiers if it ensures your aim circle fully closes between shots, otherwise don't bother.

Use Superheavy Spall Liner for crew protection or ramming. It doesn't do anything for HE damage. With medkits being reusable now you probably should never use a Spall Liner.

Right now I've got 2.01 reload and a 2.05 aiming time. Axing the GLD would kick it up to 2.25. I think i'll switch out the vents for coated optics. Since right now my vision is 364 (with vents adding 9 of that). So coated optics should put me at 390 which seems better.

serious gaylord posted:

MT-25 is tier 6 so you see tier 8 lights and mediums which will outspot you every single game. Even tier 7 lights and meds will outspot you unless you've got a great crew in it.

I enjoyed the tank tho, but its not as good as the LTTB at tier 7 or the tier 5.

The best tier 5 light is the amx elc.

Randos on the world of tanks forums are saying the ELC got nerfed real bad and sucks?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Soviet T-34. So I assume vstab isn't an option? I've never seen it on the list.

VStab is only for high tier tanks. For the T-34 how do you play it? Do you get up close and use the ridiculous DPM or do you stay at range and snipe? Vents, rammer, optics is probably what I'd use because it gives you insane DPM, but you can't fully aim if you want to take advantage of it.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Randos on the world of tanks forums are saying the ELC got nerfed real bad and sucks?

Yeah the ELC is unplayable bad. The fact that they nerfed the speed on it makes it much less fun to play, and the fact that they nerfed the gun hard and reduced its HP even further makes it very bad.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

HFX posted:

You can give it back to wargaming for half the gold value of another same tier tank.

Oh gently caress yeah, I can trade in the T26E5 I got in the christmas boxes, because I already have the patriot.

Hrrrmmm...trade in the T26E5, for which I can get an actually decent-looking camo paintjob, or trade in the :911:-patriot

:thunk:

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

McGavin posted:

VStab is only for high tier tanks. For the T-34 how do you play it? Do you get up close and use the ridiculous DPM or do you stay at range and snipe? Vents, rammer, optics is probably what I'd use because it gives you insane DPM, but you can't fully aim if you want to take advantage of it.

Usually up close and trying to flank. But then just get one shot by folks camping out of draw range on some mountain.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Fat Jesus posted:

268 4 is stupidly fast, has effectively 0 weak spots on the front and can ram HT's to death, I got shot for 550 then rammed for another 400 in a 46 Patton and could do nothing about that ridiculous tank because it seemed at least as fast as I was. Every unicorn is driving atm and nothing else.

I tracked him in the open on top of the hill on Murovanka for at least 20 seconds, side on to all the heavies and NO ONE SHOT HIM.

Then he murdered our team.

But yes, its annoying as gently caress to face frontally, the gun seems to fire a lot quicker than you would expect for that alpha too.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

I prefered the KV-2 back when we had the old matchmaking. There was nothing better than having 7 tier 8 tanks to feast on.

platooning the KV-2 into tier 10 battles :lol:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

A Handed Missus posted:

platooning the KV-2 into tier 10 battles :lol:

catching a batchat on its reload for 900 damage? I'll have some of that.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Yo, this is so loving nifty (albeit effectively useless)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVXRWtHLWpo

Wait for the loving toaster.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

So the WZ-111 Alpine Tiger is the surprise tank? Does it get the 100% credit income like on the China server? Got a pretty flaccid weiner about that tank.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

For the maps where you have to capture a central objective, is there some reason no one goes to it? Everyone makes a bee-line for the enemy spawn point.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

For the maps where you have to capture a central objective, is there some reason no one goes to it? Everyone makes a bee-line for the enemy spawn point.

Turn off Encounter and Assault as soon as you are able.

It's in the settings, I think the first page.

2Jets
Apr 25, 2010

You're gonna get no tip
The objective of the game is to kill the other team. Going in the circle usually ends up getting you killed.

The only good reasons to capture the base are 1. The last enemy alive is too fast to catch or is hiding and you're almost out of time. 2. The other team is winning but your team can cap out before they can reset. 3. If someone chats 'no cap', it's usually worth capping to piss them off.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

2Jets posted:

The objective of the game is to kill the other team. Going in the circle usually ends up getting you killed.

The only good reasons to capture the base are 1. The last enemy alive is too fast to catch or is hiding and you're almost out of time. 2. The other team is winning but your team can cap out before they can reset. 3. If someone chats 'no cap', it's usually worth capping to piss them off.

4. Some dipshit pubbies literally don't understand that Encounter mode is different than regular mode, so they'll go to the red square 1 or 2 instead of the white circle and sit on them, expecting to cap out.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
From what I remember the maps for encounter and assault were also very stupid from a balance point of view.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Hellsau posted:

4. Some dipshit pubbies literally don't understand that Encounter mode is different than regular mode, so they'll go to the red square 1 or 2 instead of the white circle and sit on them, expecting to cap out.

Encounter is kinda good in the sense that you immediately see which part of your teams are morons, especially on Lakeville.
I would pay WG good money for implementing a traffic sign "Retards go here" with direction pointing towards the valley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I also think Encounter is worth keeping on, Assault can gently caress right off though.