Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I was trying to figure out what the Mysterium and general archaeomages would do in Australia where the prevailing culture for forty thousand or so years was nomadic and didn't settle down for a long time so there's no particular lost civilisation to 'copy from'.

Already I'm toying with the idea that the sparseness of the population makes the Gauntlet so thin it's almost a Pangaea out there (and that's why Alice Springs is so screwed as a lone settlement easily influenced by angry spirits).

I'm considering as a background detail having totally ahistorical, 'Atlantean' structures of the more 'impossible angles' sort regularly rise and fall there, untraceable to most people but trackable with magic. It being so sparse and empty there that if you have a secret history you need hidden, it's a good place to 'put' a building and have very low odds of anyone seeing it while you've got it there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
scion: hero is in post-editing

*mashes F5 on backer kit*

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Get this... World of Dorkness.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Blockhouse posted:

scion: hero is in post-editing

*mashes F5 on backer kit*

You're gonna be there at least a week, maybe three

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Rand Brittain posted:

Also, it looks as though Wraith20 can be safely filed under “unreservedly good” based on my current progress and what people are saying, so the 20th Anniversary line is now at 3.75/5 for quality.
Where would you say the 20th anniversary line lost points? And is that just core books or are you including supplements?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Warthur posted:

Where would you say the 20th anniversary line lost points? And is that just core books or are you including supplements?

At a guess: Mage20 for sure.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

At a guess: Mage20 for sure.

Probably Vampire being a bit of a dry run and I'm gonna guess that most people in this thread don't like Changeling to begin with anyway

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Lightning Lord posted:

Probably Vampire being a bit of a dry run and I'm gonna guess that most people in this thread don't like Changeling to begin with anyway
Changeling20 helped bring me round to generally liking Changeling, though I thought the whole "critics are meanies and therefore sources of Banality" thing was pretty risible. I like how if you absolutely cannot stand the Banality stuff you could fairly easily drift it into being much more about the conflict between the Changelings and the returning Thallian/Fomorians.

(For that purpose I'd junk the rule that says that you get all your permanent Banality back when you exit the Dreaming, and adapt the quests that currently exist to let you reduce your personal Banality and make them ways to actively counteract Banality and/or make a new foothold of the Dreaming in the mundane world, so that stuff would still be relevant but managing personal Banality would be substantially easier. It'd mean that Changelings can be way, way nastier, but that's fine because I like my fae folk to have a nasty edge to them.)

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Banality has always been and will always be a stupid loving concept both in form and function because it is inherently poisoned by writers' biases against things they personally do not find interesting.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Changeling 20 is arguably the best book, because it started way, way down in the hole and had to climb it's way out just to reach "average". And it wasn't average, it was actually a really good book that paid due to what came before while making the entire thing way less redonkulous and creepy child-worship-y. On the flip side pretty much everyone was already down to clown with Vampire and Werewolf and Mage, so you had less intrinsic bias against [Although of course not none].

And Wraith is just a miracle, because holy hell were the gods against the publishing of that book. Like I fervently believe the editing process of this book involved Dansky having to climb a mountain top to turn in the completed draft, and at the top of the mountain is a desk, a little box that says "In", and Yahweh. And he had to wrestle Yahweh to put the draft into the box.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

If you wrestle Yahweh well enough, though, he has to give you a blessing. It rules, actually.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Yawgmoth posted:

Banality has always been and will always be a stupid loving concept both in form and function because it is inherently poisoned by writers' biases against things they personally do not find interesting.
Yeah, the "MMOs and cooking shows = Banality, tabletop RPGs and cheap fantasy novels = Glamour" thing is infuriating.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Warthur posted:

Yeah, the "MMOs and cooking shows = Banality, tabletop RPGs and cheap fantasy novels = Glamour" thing is infuriating.

I'm surprised it doesn't say wild sex orgies and rock music are also glamorous, considering the author.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Night10194 posted:

If you wrestle Yahweh well enough, though, he has to give you a blessing. It rules, actually.

Just be careful, dude's stiffer than fuckin' Vader and has been known to cause lasting injuries even when he loses.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Warthur posted:

Mage is the zero, obviously, and Changeling is the one I give the .75.

And really, Changeling probably deserves better, because it solved the game's critical problems, made changeling magic cool and useful, and actually made the weird medieval setting into something relevant to modern issues. I'm just peeved at it because it made some really bad decisions about wordcount (cramming all the Gallain in in a way where they're technically there, but so compressed that nobody could actually find them interesting), and made some real howlers like making the Shadow Court secretly run by Thallain, and references to sidhe babies even though that's not how new changelings work.

And it doesn't look like Changeling is getting the equivalent of a Fera book? That's too bad, because it needed one the most.

Vampire is a little inefficient for being first, but it's very solid as a line and has a bunch of good supplements. Werewolf is very solid all around, and Wraith looks to be at the same level of quality.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

What's that bad about Mage? I know it's got a lot of Phil on it and the Disparates didn't need to become Council of Traditions 2.0, but it generally seemed to hit the right feel for me. (Then again, I tend to regard Mage as the game where you all get around the table and have a debate about how it works, because it's the "Bargaining" spot on the oWoD Five Stages of Grief theme.)

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Mulva posted:

Changeling 20 is arguably the best book, because it started way, way down in the hole and had to climb it's way out just to reach "average".

Also known as the Clanbook: Malkavian Revised Principle.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Since I like all the stuff that originally influenced Changeling (Charles De Lint, Emma Bull, etc) and always felt it fell short of those I should probably take a look at C20

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Warthur posted:

What's that bad about Mage? I know it's got a lot of Phil on it and the Disparates didn't need to become Council of Traditions 2.0, but it generally seemed to hit the right feel for me. (Then again, I tend to regard Mage as the game where you all get around the table and have a debate about how it works, because it's the "Bargaining" spot on the oWoD Five Stages of Grief theme.)

1) The book really shits on the Traditions, which is the opposite of what needed to happen, because people have developed a serious hate-on for them as a result of everything that's happening in the world right now (waves hand vaguely at the universe), but they got a blackwashing instead of a whitewashing so now it's canon that wizards hate light bulbs instead of insane fanon.
2) Brucato thinks his opinions on sex and gender are progressive and edgy when they haven't actually changed since the 90s.
3) Revised took Ascension from "we can fight to shape the world for the better" to "fighting to shape the world is just forcing your views on people with violence, find a better way." M20 goes all the way to "trying to convince people to share your views is violence, stare into your navel until you reach enlightenment". It's really in favor of magic but it disapproves of any specific thing you might think magic is for.
4) It tries to update things to be more progressive but in a really haphazard and inconsistent way, so the Dreamspeakers have abandoned their "slave name" to become the Kha'vadi, except that name never gets used, and the Virtual Adepts are the "Mercurian Elite" because having two Traditions named after Hermes isn't confusing at all.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Also, Brucato has never met an editor he didn't like because he's never met an editor. I know the 20th Anniversary editions are massive prestige books by definition, but Mage20 really needed more editing passes than it got on top of everything else. Not necessarily for grammar or anything, just to make Brucato not give too many things too much pagecount when the book's already stupidly large.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Warthur posted:

What's that bad about Mage?

quote:

it's got a lot of Phil on it

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Also, Brucato has never met an editor he didn't like because he's never met an editor. I know the 20th Anniversary editions are massive prestige books by definition, but Mage20 really needed more editing passes than it got on top of everything else. Not necessarily for grammar or anything, just to make Brucato not give too many things too much pagecount when the book's already stupidly large.

Yeah, it wastes huge amounts of space on things like "huge arguments about the vampire lawnchair thing that makes it clear Brucato didn't understand why it was an issue for some people" and leaves out things like "clear expressions of what the Spheres do."

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Didn't Brucato leave out information on Paradigms from 2nd Edition because he was afraid people would cast actual magic in their games?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Kavak posted:

Didn't Brucato leave out information on Paradigms from 2nd Edition because he was afraid people would cast actual magic in their games?

That's the story I've heard, yes. I don't actually have a primary source on that.

Five Eyes
Oct 26, 2017

Kavak posted:

Sssooort of. You may also be remembering that Brucato is opposed to playable Nephandi because he considered getting into that headspace psychologically or spiritually deleterious.

Here's the bit of Book of Mirrors that people are recalling when they bring this up:

The Book of Mirrors, Pg 46 posted:

Q: Why doesn't Mage go into more detail of real-world magical practices?
A: Three reasons. First, the details of "real magic" are pretty arcane (not to mention dull)... On top of that, many real practitioners get (understandably) touchy when their beliefs appear in fiction. Most consider it slanderous, inaccurate, or both.
Third and most important, I do, to a degree, believe in magic. I can't say for certain what it is, and I don't expect to be levitating every time soon. However, it's a proven fact that the laws of our so-called reality are not nearly as solid as we might like to believe.
Whether the forces that [magical practitioners] set in motion come from some outside source or from undiscovered scientific principles, the forces exist. I also know enough about magic to know that it shouldn't be screwed with. The Law of Return is truth in advertising. Plenty have people have wrecked their lives (and others') trying to find out if magic works.

Edit: Also, Rand is more generous than I am, as I would award M20 negative points.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Rand Brittain posted:

1) The book really shits on the Traditions, which is the opposite of what needed to happen, because people have developed a serious hate-on for them as a result of everything that's happening in the world right now (waves hand vaguely at the universe), but they got a blackwashing instead of a whitewashing so now it's canon that wizards hate light bulbs instead of insane fanon.
2) Brucato thinks his opinions on sex and gender are progressive and edgy when they haven't actually changed since the 90s.
3) Revised took Ascension from "we can fight to shape the world for the better" to "fighting to shape the world is just forcing your views on people with violence, find a better way." M20 goes all the way to "trying to convince people to share your views is violence, stare into your navel until you reach enlightenment". It's really in favor of magic but it disapproves of any specific thing you might think magic is for.
4) It tries to update things to be more progressive but in a really haphazard and inconsistent way, so the Dreamspeakers have abandoned their "slave name" to become the Kha'vadi, except that name never gets used, and the Virtual Adepts are the "Mercurian Elite" because having two Traditions named after Hermes isn't confusing at all.
2) and 4) I agree are issues, 2 especially.

1) and 3) I don't mind because I mentally put M:tAs in the same category as W:tA - the "I can only appreciate this game as an absurdly cynical parody where everyone is a different flavour of total rear end in a top hat" category, to be specific. So it doesn't particularly matter to me that the Traditions are shitbirds because I think any single one of them (or any particular Disparate Craft, for that matter) has the seeds of a new tyranny embedded in them anyway, and that the Marauders are the only faction who can truly be said to be "correct" in the sense that they're the only ones who actually take the whole consensus reality thing to its logical conclusion. Likewise, it doesn't matter to me that the book says that doing poo poo is badwrong violence because I don't put a high premium on PCs being nice role models.

I think the reason the amount of Phil in M20 doesn't bug me more is that at least he very brazenly wears his biases on his sleeves and you can correct for that. (He also, I seem to recall, usefully says "Oh, by the way, you mustn't do X, Y and Z when it comes to interpreting what your spheres can do because it means the PCs end up with too much power", so I can make sure to do X, Y and Z because I prefer my Mage to be a cartoon shitshow where absurdity rules all the time.)

Kavak posted:

I mean, there is the infamous "don't play Nephandi because you'll call up bad mojo" sidebar.

(Which makes you wonder what happens to the GM, who has to NPC all the Nephandi at once...)

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

I got the sense that originally Brucato or other people working on M20 wanted to update the Traditions, placing the metaplot sometime after Revised and making them more culturally aware and playable. That's where the new Tradition names come from. Somewhere along the line it was decided that M20 had to function as fanservice first, so the new Tradition updates were relegated to a hypothetical sidebar and haphazardly throughout the book because editing 800 pages is hard.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

My review-in-a-bottle for M20 from a few years back:

quote:

On the technical side of things, M20 commits several acts of poor writing by having self-contradictory rules that are badly organised. One example that comes to mind is the rules for destroying objects, which are in two different parts of the book, and don't describe the same thing. It has a very complex dice-rolling system with two immediate scales of difficulty, but makes very poor attempts to explain the difference between the two, with examples often contradicting the descriptions, and some dice-rolling rules are described as optional and used anyway, or described again as a new rule to get around the optional-ness in certain passages. The rules are often surprisingly complex (combat is declare-down-resolve simultaneously, which requires significant overhead and makes high-Initiative characters worse than low-Initiative characters, and can easily involve three or four dice rolls per turn per character) yet at times vague (like poisons inflicting damage "1-2 times", which can be the difference between a survivable poison and a non-survivable one) and produce nonsensical results (smoke yourself to death with marijuana, at most a 3% chance of dying from falling damage) especially if taken at face value (you can't die from starvation, because you heal damage faster than you take it from starving).

On the writing side of things, it is needlessly wordy with extremely long passages that say nothing or use too many words to say very little, often taking turns into the offensive; its treatment of trans identities is in one place patronizing and another offensive, and the way it speaks about Abrahamic religions is extremely insensitive. It emphasises the importance of not making people uncomfortable by bringing up topics that would unsettle them, but details child abuse and rape in other places without warning. Sometimes it broaches topics it maybe shouldn't, like the fact that you can fuel spells with an effigy of the ashes of Holocaust victims. The main author, Brucato, will often go off on rants or make his rather personal opinion known, like when he goes off on a tirade against eating pizza during RPG sessions or how all food eaten during an RPG session should be bought from ethically run local businesses. He rants extensively against TVs and Big Macs, which shows that he is both basically an old man telling kids to get off his lawn and that he's too out of touch to know he should be ranting against smartphones these days, not TVs.

The factions described in the book are painfully black and white, with Brucato's new favourites being a disparate alliance of fiercely independent post-modern mages that's totally different from the original disparate alliance of fiercely independent post-modern mages that have been central to the game for the previous 22 years . The new group, which is without the flaws of the old group, is also according to Brucato the only ones fighting the real war of MTAs, which is against the Nephandi.

The Nephandi are just very boring evil-for-the-sake-of-evil villains described as super-cool serial killers behind 9/11 and homphobia. Brucato talks at length about how politically relevant and realistic MTAs it, but sets the central conflict of the game up to be fighting magical better-than-you serial killers who worship Cthulhu. Except when they don't worship Cthulhu, because they're described as not doing so and doing so within their own chapter, because consistency and proper editing is for sheeple.

It's a book that OPP should frankly be ashamed to have published because of how it shows they did pretty much no quality control or exercised any meaningful level of editorial oversight. Printing two different versions of a rule in the same book is something that should simply not happen in the new tens.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

He changed his name to Satyros.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Isn't that one of the bad guys from Golden Sun?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

food court bailiff posted:

Could be. I know it's the magical beastman race from Radiant Historia, aka "the only game involving time travel as a central game mechanic I have ever enjoyed".

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

food court bailiff posted:

A caricature of him is one of the bad guys in Werewolf, which speaks volumes about working with him.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

A caricature of him is one of the bad guys in Werewolf, which speaks volumes about working with him.

Well, I mean, they have caracatures of all the various White Wolf line devs, but the ones for him and MRH are relatively scathing portrayals.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

Well, I mean, they have caracatures of all the various White Wolf line devs, but the ones for him and MRH are relatively scathing portrayals.

Yeah. Ethan Skemp's analogue of being a cannibalistic hillbilly is tame in comparison to Brucato's.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Warthur posted:

Then again, I tend to regard Mage as the game where you all get around the table and have a debate about how it works, because it's the "Bargaining" spot on the oWoD Five Stages of Grief theme.

What would be the other four stages as game lines?

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Slimnoid posted:

What would be the other four stages as game lines?
Vampire = Denial. Addicts deny that they are addicted, the Camarilla denies the existence of the Antediluvians, and the vampires have the most trouble of any of the main splats when it comes to perceiving the Umbra/Dreaming/Underworld.

Werewolf = Anger. It's right there in the tagline and everything.

Mage = Bargaining, as mentioned, 'cuz every time you use magic it's basically a little negotiation between you and the Storyteller.

Wraith = Depression. The way the Shadow works, in particular.

Changeling = Acceptance. In the case of the oWoD, acceptance of the fact that life is magykal and story is magnificent and adulthood is poopy - it's the acceptance of the wonder-child within.

The last is based on my belief that Rein-Hagen's early plan for the five-game arc (he refers to the whole thing as the "Storyteller saga" in writings from the time) was that in the end it was the Changelings who were going to have the right of it and be the catalysts for the victory of colour and goodness over the grey drabness of modernity. My main point of evidence for this is that Changelings are all about tossing aside soulless mass media in favour of personal storytelling and oral traditions and the like, which is exactly what White Wolf had told us the whole Storyteller thing was about ever since V:tM 1E.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
Wraith 20 looks so great; can't wait for the hard copy! My only extremely petty whinge so far is that the arcanoi are listed under the name of the associated guild but are organized alphabetically by the name of the actual arcanoi.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
For me, M20's biggest sin was that it seemed more interested in defending its choices from the past than trying to update it for the present. Like, one of the big selling points of the other lines is they're written by people who love them, but who also get not all of it has aged well. There's a lot of thought put into how to not just update the timeline, but the mechanics and plot points that keeps the feel of the original while limiting as much of the bad poo poo as you can without ending up with a different game.

M20...spends a lot of time and wordcount explaining how all these things people complain about aren't *really* a problem and there's all these good reasons things should be this way, and of course you can change it but you don't really know what you're doing and blah blah blah blah blah. If the other 20th lines are grown ups who can still get fondly nostalgic listening to 90s music, M20 is the middle aged guy who still thinks wearing his rage against the machine shirt out in public is going to cause class revolution any day now. Its as much sad as it is annoying, but mostly just poo poo for a book you're supposed to pay for.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

'As much sad as annoying' is Brucato's entire persona, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

When's Wraith20 supposed to come out for everyone who didn't think a decade ahead and back it? It sounds really good and I would gladly throw money at them through DTRPG, but here we are.