Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

unstucker posted:

If I have graphics card is HIS 7950, can I run this game? I think would it be worth buying it on sale?

I ran it on near max settings at 1080 on 7950 at totally playable but occasionally a little choppy framerates for a good 4 months.

Shannow fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I can't remember if they say it in game but when I first played it everyone in the thread just told me to dodge and roll all the time.

But parrying completely breaks the fistfights.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
There's a mod that let's you parry monster attacks (or at least do that quick backstep and slash without taking damage) and it's awesome. Geralt should be able to deflect enemy attacks and use the momentum to strike, that's straight up lore yo.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Alchenar posted:

Maybe everyone will tell me I'm dumb and missed it, but after the combat tutorial I don't think the game ever goes 'don't try to parry monsters, just dodge them'.

There are a few that you definitely should parry, such as harpies/sirens. You can do it vs drowners and nekkers as well. Otherwise yeah.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Parry the Griffin. Be a legend.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Hobo Clown posted:

There's a few dialogue choices where you can be responsible Geralt, "Let's wrap it up guys, big day tomorrow", etc. I almost chose them my first time through because I was worried that I could screw up my relationship with Yenn by wearing her clothes to Summon The Bitches, but fortunately it doesn't affect anything and I was able to enjoy one of the best scenes in the game.

The worst choice that could be made. I laughed harder than I have at any other game I can recall in that scene. A lot of scenes with drunk people in media generally read like the writer has never had more than a bottle of wine in one sitting. The script of TW3 does not have this problem.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Samuringa posted:

Parry the Griffin. Be a legend.

Overhead vertical strike it's too obvious!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Neurosis posted:

The worst choice that could be made. I laughed harder than I have at any other game I can recall in that scene. A lot of scenes with drunk people in media generally read like the writer has never had more than a bottle of wine in one sitting. The script of TW3 does not have this problem.

Telling Lambert you love him like a brother while you're hammered drunk is so perfectly written that I'm convinced the writers had that exact conversation at least once before.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Drunk europeans???

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Say it ain't so!
But yeah, as someone that had a fair share of vodka drinking it's absolutely accurate, especially the part where someone wanders off somewhere and your drunk team has to go all "Scooby Doo, where are you?" on him.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Would I be wrong in saying that Extreme Cosplay is an absolutely awful quest? Picked it at Level 45 on BBB and I get instantly get murdered by a gank squad worthy of Dark Souls 2. Yes, you can stagger the mages with Northern Wind but there's
little chance of winning this fight the first time around, especially since nothing else in Toussaint is this hard. I'm holding off until level 50 and straight-up avoiding the manor until then so I don't accidentally trigger the quest, since it's timed.

Also, gently caress the need to hit dummies on horseback since mounted-combat is an afterthought in this game making it difficult to time your swings or even aim them in the right direction.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Feb 13, 2018

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

if you hold back a swing while on horseback the game will go into slow motion when you approach an enemy to at least try and give you a chance to wrestle with the control to line up a swing

don't know if it that doesn't apply to the dummies for that quest though

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Would I be wrong in saying that Extreme Cosplay is an absolutely awful quest? Picked it at Level 45 on BBB and I get instantly get murdered by a gank squad worthy of Dark Souls 2. Yes, you can stagger the mages with Northern Wind but there's
little chance of winning this fight the first time around, especially since nothing else in Toussaint is this hard. I'm holding off until level 50 and straight-up avoiding the manor until then so I don't accidentally trigger the quest, since it's timed.

Also, gently caress the need to hit dummies on horseback since mounted-combat is an afterthought in this game making it difficult to time your swings or even aim them in the right direction.

For Extreme Cosplay I bolted straight ahead and up the stairs to the left. Makes couldn't hit me, and if the others came up I just butchered them. Chucked bombs at the makes till they died.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

alex314 posted:

Say it ain't so!
But yeah, as someone that had a fair share of vodka drinking it's absolutely accurate, especially the part where someone wanders off somewhere and your drunk team has to go all "Scooby Doo, where are you?" on him.
"Ooooooooooooooodrin, where are you?"
"Ooooooooooooooodrin, here boy!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

Well if you're romancing Yen you can take a five minute gently caress break and then get back to slamming drinks with the boys.
Its been like two and a half years since I played so maybe I am mis-remembering, but you can?!?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Its been like two and a half years since I played so maybe I am mis-remembering, but you can?!?

Absolutely, I dunno if it triggers the boys giving you poo poo about Yen or if they do that regardless, but you have an option to sneak upstairs for a quick romp before drinking with them.

I think there are one or two spots where you can say "nah I'm going to bed, big day tomorrow" and not party, but why on earth would you want to skip one of the very best scenes in the game (that has no actual consequences).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

"Ooooooooooooooodrin, where are you?"
"Ooooooooooooooodrin, here boy!"

After Yen tells you she's going to bed you can follow her and have a quick bang before going back to the bois

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Arcsquad12 posted:

After Yen tells you she's going to bed you can follow her and have a quick bang before going back to the bois

I had no idea about this, I always assumed that heading upstairs ended the night. This needs to be added to the list of thread warnings.

- Don't push Djikstra
- Let the halflings win
- Give wine to Shani
- Don't use the fast travel mod
- Go upstairs, then summon the bitches

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

- Don't buy or win Syanna's ribbon

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
-it's okay to lose races sometimes, if it's to make your friends happy.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Cowcaster posted:

if you hold back a swing while on horseback the game will go into slow motion when you approach an enemy to at least try and give you a chance to wrestle with the control to line up a swing

don't know if it that doesn't apply to the dummies for that quest though
As I note in my guide, just aim Roach directly at the dummies and swing when his nose connects. You don't stop or get slowed down.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

In It For The Tank posted:

- Don't buy or win Syanna's ribbon

I mean there's a difference between "thing which people should really experience that is easily missed" and "people shouldn't go for the ending that I personally dislike"

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

People shouldn't go for the ending I personally dislike tho

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

-Don't romance Triss

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Everyone dead ending for Blood and Wine was good though.

unstucker
Jan 4, 2018

Pellisworth posted:

Should run quite well on that card, you should be able to do fairly high graphics settings. It's a gorgeous game even going on three years after release.

Yeah, buy it! It's a fantastic value, the base game + DLCs is a solid 120-150+ hours of non-grindy content. I can't think of many other games that give you as much game for your dollar.

Thanks)

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Everyone dead ending for Blood and Wine was good though.
Experiencing all endings is the best.

While I knew what the bad ending for the game was I was still blown away how well it was executed only after I played it myself. There are also always some small story payoffs that you can't see if you only see your preferred ending.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

The happy ending is fine as is but like the other endings it still suffers from Syanna and Detlaff's lack of development throughout the DLC. Olgierd, Shani and Gaunter are all exceptionally well developed because they are a constant presence, while Detlaff has exactly one scene to try and justify himself and Geralt spends the entire time avoiding him.

there's not much to justify, the story makes very clear that Detlaff cares only about Detlaff's feelings, which are just so much more profound than everyone else's you can't understand, and is willing to do absolutely anything to anyone to gratify himself. His sole character trait is to be a not very developed person, there as a foil to Syana who wanted to be that kind of absolute monster until she realized she was out of her depth. The only moral conflict regarding him is whether you're willing to let down Regis, the guy who's put everything on the line for you repeatedly with no thought to his own reward, even died for you, when he finally asks you for help saving the only friend he's got.

steinrokkan posted:

I think they never make it clear, but so many modern games are built around rolling that people just naturally drift to it instead of parrying, imho.

The default dodge/parry key bindings are so goddamn awkward to use that I never used them once and just rolled everywhere until after I'd beaten the game

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 15, 2018

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Regarding the discussion on Novigrad's size a while back, I did Skellige first this run and Geralt just said that Novigrad's the world's largest city (when brainstorming where Ciri might have gone since she's not in Skellige). I think it's supposed to be much bigger in the game than the 30k population that Dandelion mentioned in the books.

Also, is it just me or does the sauna in Lofoten make no sense? It's just so big, they sit on chairs at ground level, and I think they've even got the front door open. How's it supposed to stay warm at all? Even assuming the door's closed, the roof's really high up and all the heat would go there.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Staltran posted:

Also, is it just me or does the sauna in Lofoten make no sense? It's just so big, they sit on chairs at ground level, and I think they've even got the front door open. How's it supposed to stay warm at all? Even assuming the door's closed, the roof's really high up and all the heat would go there.

And it's apparently the only sauna in Skellige. Unless I missed something, I don't recall seeing a sauna in any other Skellige villages.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Staltran posted:

Regarding the discussion on Novigrad's size a while back, I did Skellige first this run and Geralt just said that Novigrad's the world's largest city (when brainstorming where Ciri might have gone since she's not in Skellige). I think it's supposed to be much bigger in the game than the 30k population that Dandelion mentioned in the books.

I think it was said earlier in the thread that Novigrad is the largest free city. Vizima is definitely larger.

And isn't the sauna built over a hot spring? That would stay warm regardless of what's built over it.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Geralt says "largest city in the world", with no qualifiers. I don't see much reason to assume he's wrong. Yen would probably correct him if he was, anyway.

I don't think there's a hot spring. There's some kind of pond outside, but Ciri complains about it being cold if/when you jump in.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Can I just confirm headshots with the crossbow only register as headshots if you get the controller vibrate and screen motion on PS4, correct?

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Does anyone have a link for a download of the full soundtrack, i.e. not the official 56-track one which is still missing a lot of stuff.. there was a version I had on my old phone that had literally all the music from the game. Including, for example, the track that plays during the first cutscene with Geralt and Yen at Kaer Morhen.

e: also, totally unconnected by why did the pre-main-release 'A night to remember' trailer have Orianna (from Blood & Wine) in it and end on a shot of Geralt riding off towards Toussaint? Was Toussaint originally meant to be in the main release or something? Or did they really just plan that far ahead and choose it as a particularly awesome scenario for the trailer? Looking at it, the trailer was released only 5 days before the release of the main game, so perhaps they were already well into development of B&W by that point?

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 17, 2018

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

El Grillo posted:

e: also, totally unconnected by why did the pre-main-release 'A night to remember' trailer have Orianna (from Blood & Wine) in it and end on a shot of Geralt riding off towards Toussaint? Was Toussaint originally meant to be in the main release or something? Or did they really just plan that far ahead and choose it as a particularly awesome scenario for the trailer? Looking at it, the trailer was released only 5 days before the release of the main game, so perhaps they were already well into development of B&W by that point?

I don't know if it's ever been confirmed by CDPR, but given that Gaunter O'Dimm has a brief appearance in the tavern in White Orchard, they were probably well into developing DLC content when the game launched. I would assume they had Toussaint planned as DLC #2 when they released that trailer for the main game.

Release of the base game was delayed, but when it was released it was a very polished game, especially compared to Bethesda who is their only real competitor in open-world RPGs.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

El Grillo posted:

Does anyone have a link for a download of the full soundtrack, i.e. not the official 56-track one which is still missing a lot of stuff.. there was a version I had on my old phone that had literally all the music from the game. Including, for example, the track that plays during the first cutscene with Geralt and Yen at Kaer Morhen.

I would like a soundtrack that has Fields of Ard Skellig, the best ambient music in the game.

delta534
Sep 2, 2011

eating only apples posted:

I would like a soundtrack that has Fields of Ard Skellig, the best ambient music in the game.

That version can be found in the witcher 3 install location in a folder labeled soundtrack.

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011
holy gently caress I finally did the increase toxicity with every known level 1 alchemy formula. Mainly because I didn't understand what it meant by level 1, given no formulas are labeled as levels... but maybe that means normal and superior potions being level 2?

My first playthrough I never did that, and now I'm 70 hours into deathmarch and I did.

Popping the decoctions damage increased when vitality is maxed and doing damage to raise vitality is like breaking the game. Awesome.

Also does anyone know a spot where rock trolls pop up? I need to make a troll decoction.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
IIRC the levels just mean normal potion => enhanced potion.
And yeah, running around with 3 decoctions active at all times and Euphoria is the best only real way to play the game.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The alchemy mutations are so front loaded I can’t imagine trying to play Death March as a Sign/Phys build.

Like, you get triple health and bullet time. Those are the kind of things that explain how Witcher’s got their reputation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
The real seret is to just take the alchemy skills that let you have all those decoctions active and then go full ham in red or blue skills.