Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

One advantage that MacOS has is that it handles input/ output much better than Windows. So if you have multiple sound cards or devices or whatever that require various audio drivers, then that can all run under an aggregate device within CoreAudio. If that is your situation then I would go with MacOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
My setup right now is extremely simple so that's not really a present concern but good to know ty

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Oh I guess xps 13s do have some sort of dedicated audio processing hardware :ms: so ends my brief interest in apple products

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

AverySpecialfriend posted:

My setup right now is extremely simple so that's not really a present concern but good to know ty

Have you considered a hardware based setup? What kind of music are you planning on making?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Binary Badger posted:

It is possible to upgrade the SSD on a 2013-2015 Retina MacBook Pro with an adapter from China and a standard M.2 NVMe SSD stick.

Currently I have this adapter and a 1 TB Samsung 960 EVO running High Sierra on a 13-inch Late 2013 rMBP, it's great for running VMs IMHO, but I'm only doing this as my warranty is way past. Caveats are that there are infrequent random pauses, hibernation isn't supported, sometimes it takes a while to cold boot.

Other caveats of this setup are discussed offsite here at MacRumors: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/upgrading-2013-2014-macbook-pro-ssd-to-m-2-nvme.2034976/

Also, you can buy a 2013-2015 OEM SSD on eBay or something but they are not cheap

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-51...ity!48603!US!-1

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Dyna Soar posted:

Macs have exactly the same level of hardware quality as a PC,
There are surface pro owners storing their computers in the freezer because they overheat after like an hour of normal use

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Linguica posted:

There are surface pro owners storing their computers in the freezer because they overheat after like an hour of normal use

That's tablets for you.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
“Dedicated audio processing” hasn’t been a thing for like ten years. Even Pro Tools, which was so slow to adapt the market basically killed them off, dropped their “dedicated audio processing hardware” poo poo. There’s no difference between internal plugin processing, and any recording you do will be through an external box which handles the A/D conversion.

Though, Logic is probably the “standard” music production software nowadays, if there was such a distinction. On the Windows side, I don’t even know what you’d use aside from Ableton. I haven’t heard of anyone using anything from Cakewalk or Propellerhead recently, and it seems like Adobe is pushing more for a simplified commercial option, rather than a full-fledged digital music workstation.

illBilliam posted:

One advantage that MacOS has is that it handles input/ output much better than Windows. So if you have multiple sound cards or devices or whatever that require various audio drivers, then that can all run under an aggregate device within CoreAudio. If that is your situation then I would go with MacOS.

This is true. Also, MIDI I/O

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 14, 2018

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

PRADA SLUT posted:

Though, Logic is probably the “standard” music production software nowadays, if there was such a distinction. On the Windows side, I don’t even know what you’d use aside from Ableton. I haven’t heard of anyone using anything from Cakewalk or Propellerhead recently, and it seems like Adobe is pushing more for a simplified commercial option, rather than a full-fledged digital music workstation.

I personally use Studio One (mostly because it was included with my USB Audio Interface) in Windows, and there are still people who swear by Protools. FL Studio is still relatively popular with the EDM and rap scenes.

But yeah, Logic is very much the primary choice for most, and the latest version now includes Melodyne-style pitch shifting and Live-style tempo stretching, so you get all the cool tricks for a relatively inexpensive $199 pricetag.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Feb 14, 2018

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
You also get Final Cut, Mainstage, and Compressor with Logic if you have an edu email address.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

PRADA SLUT posted:

Pro Tools, Ableton, Reaper.

Also on MacOs, every OS update usually breaks compatibility and you have to keep from updating if you want to keep using your gear or plugins. A lot of older gear simply doesn't work in High Sierra anymore.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Feb 14, 2018

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Dyna Soar posted:

Pro Tools, Ableton, Reaper.

Also on MacOs, every OS update usually breaks compatibility and you have to keep from updating if you want to keep using your gear or plugins. A lot of older gear simply doesn't work in High Sierra anymore.

Macs are kind of where PCs were when MS defaulted to 64bit installs. Broke every driver.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

redeyes posted:

Macs are kind of where PCs were when MS defaulted to 64bit installs. Broke every driver.

I'd understand if it were just the 32 -> 64 bit change that broke drivers but this happens every MacOs update.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dyna Soar posted:

I'd understand if it were just the 32 -> 64 bit change that broke drivers but this happens every MacOs update.

Yeah, that happens with more than few things. Usually when they’re using undocumented APIs that Apple either removes or locks away.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, that happens with more than few things. Usually when they’re using undocumented APIs that Apple either removes or locks away.

Its prob. smart to block those from their pov, but its a pain for people who use external gear for music production

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

The granny that lives next door asked me to burn another cd and I’m impressed my 2006 black MacBook still works flawlessly. We miss you, Steve.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
One last thing to consider before depending on Apple branded software is that they can (and have) just… drop support or make an inferior product.

I’m not really informed in this but I remember reading about how Final Cut Pro was pretty much _the_ industry standard for video editing stuff, but then came Final Cut X, a suppose upgrade to Final Cut Pro, which was just plain missing a lot of “pro” features that actual professionals used and needed.

I think it’s the same story for Apple’s version of Lightroom.

Apple seems to have a bad track record with software and services lately :(

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Housh posted:

The granny that lives next door asked me to burn another cd and I’m impressed my 2006 black MacBook still works flawlessly. We miss you, Steve.

Despite all outward appearances (flimsy, scratchy plastic) the MacBooks of that era are surprisingly resilient. My brother still doggedly uses his as a 'random tasks' machine on a daily basis despite being locked in to an ancient OS, a battery that can't operate without the power cord and a prehistoric spinner drive. My TiBook killed itself way sooner than that little polycarbonate block.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

One last thing to consider before depending on Apple branded software is that they can (and have) just… drop support or make an inferior product.

I’m not really informed in this but I remember reading about how Final Cut Pro was pretty much _the_ industry standard for video editing stuff, but then came Final Cut X, a suppose upgrade to Final Cut Pro, which was just plain missing a lot of “pro” features that actual professionals used and needed.

Apple seems to have a bad track record with software and services lately :(

Same happened with logic x actually. A lot of people migrated to pro tools or ableton after they stopped supporting older versions

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The irony of people taking up Pro Tools because another product dropped OS support

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The irony of people taking up Pro Tools because another product dropped OS support

Its not the product that dropped the support, silly

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

Are you talking about Aperture which was superior to Lightroom in every way?

In that case, Apple had delivered a really good product. And then abruptly canceled it by no longer updating it. It was a pretty baffling decision by them.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Apple's always been wary of acquiring technical debt by bending over backwards for... backwards compatibility.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

Are you talking about Aperture which was superior to Lightroom in every way?

In that case, Apple had delivered a really good product. And then abruptly canceled it by no longer updating it. It was a pretty baffling decision by them.

You mean Photos 1.0 didn’t fit your needs???

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Weedle posted:

You mean Photos 1.0 didn’t fit your needs???

Shocking, right?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Last Chance posted:

Apple's always been wary of acquiring technical debt by bending over backwards for... backwards compatibility.

Nicr to have both planned and unplanned obsolete

Shapur
Apr 2, 2010

My fiance needs a MacBook Pro.. Should she get one now or is a new one going to come out in like 2 months?

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Shapur posted:

My fiance needs a MacBook Pro.. Should she get one now or is a new one going to come out in like 2 months?

They'll probably tell you to get an old 2015 one whether there's a new one coming or not.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

The age-old always asked question: Should I get a Mac now or should I wait?

pokeyman posted:

If you need something, buy it. If it's updated this week, you can return and upgrade.

If you don't need it, wait until you do; guaranteed it'll be a better value than it is now. At worst, it's the same.

Nobody knows when Apple's going to do poo poo. Don't listen to anyone who says otherwise.

Shapur
Apr 2, 2010

I didn't read the OP. That's on me.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Shapur posted:

Wulfolme posted:

They'll probably tell you to get an old 2015 one whether there's a new one coming or not.

You see... there won’t ever be a newer MBP than the 2015. It’s the last one they ever made.

Real talk: there will likely be iterative improvements some time this year but most MB/MBP SKU updates occur some time after a new processor comes out and the mobile chip has been out for a while.

I don’t think there’s been a new mobile chip out for a while so probably fine to get one now.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Dick Nipples posted:

You see... there won’t ever be a newer MBP than the 2015. It’s the last one they ever made.

Real talk: there will likely be iterative improvements some time this year but most MB/MBP SKU updates occur some time after a new processor comes out and the mobile chip has been out for a while.

I don’t think there’s been a new mobile chip out for a while so probably fine to get one now.

The latest Intel Core iX-8xxx CPUs are now quad cores in the 15W-28W TDP range that 13" Macbook pros use. They were introduced November 2017, 4 months ago. It's really likely that when Macbook Pros are next refreshed, they will double the number of cores and threads, making for a pretty huge improvement in any CPU-heavy work that can use multiple cores.

Almost all of the Windows ultrabooks have already updated, so if you buy an XPS 13 right now it's smaller than a 13" Macbook Pro and has twice the cores/ threads, but if you wait for Apple to update they'll be comparable again.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Twerk from Home posted:

The latest Intel Core iX-8xxx CPUs are now quad cores in the 15W-28W TDP range that 13" Macbook pros use. They were introduced November 2017, 4 months ago. It's really likely that when Macbook Pros are next refreshed, they will double the number of cores and threads, making for a pretty huge improvement in any CPU-heavy work that can use multiple cores.

Almost all of the Windows ultrabooks have already updated, so if you buy an XPS 13 right now it's smaller than a 13" Macbook Pro and has twice the cores/ threads, but if you wait for Apple to update they'll be comparable again.

Interesting - and presumably the Tdp might be finally good enough to get 32gb RAM?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Dick Nipples posted:

Interesting - and presumably the Tdp might be finally good enough to get 32gb RAM?

That's not a platform limitation, that's Apple. Other vendors have been using 32 or 64GB of RAM with the exact same CPUs and platforms that Apple is selling.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Twerk from Home posted:

That's not a platform limitation, that's Apple. Other vendors have been using 32 or 64GB of RAM with the exact same CPUs and platforms that Apple is selling.

It is - Apple uses low power ram which the platform only supports 16gb

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

It is - Apple uses low power ram which the platform only supports 16gb

Huh. Good catch, they're still using LPDDR3. It also looks like if they do update this year with 8xxx CPUs, they're still going to be limited to 16GB. How much of a difference could moving to DDR4 possibly make to power usage?!

quote:

If the report is correct, that would force Apple to opt for less-efficient Coffee Lake CPUs for next year’s MacBook Pro. This would also mean sticking with LPDDR 3 RAM, which limits maximum memory to 16GB.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

Huh. Good catch, they're still using LPDDR3. It also looks like if they do update this year with 8xxx CPUs, they're still going to be limited to 16GB. How much of a difference could moving to DDR4 possibly make to power usage?!

It’s mostly to do with sleep mode; the amount of power required to keep non-LP memory “turned on,” and thus retain its contents, while the laptop is asleep is considerably greater than that required for LP memory.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Twerk from Home posted:

How much of a difference could moving to DDR4 possibly make to power usage?!
Apple insists on its laptops being able to sleep for, like, a month, so even a tiny bit more power usage adds up.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Linguica posted:

Apple insists on its laptops being able to sleep for, like, a month, so even a tiny bit more power usage adds up.
This would be great if power profiles were respected. My favorite "feature" is the fact that the laptop doesn't change power settings if you remove the power cable after closing the lid. I'm often frustrated by the fact that this thing, despite being at 100% the day before when I closed the lid, is suddenly dead as a doornail the next morning because the god-damned thing was idling away all night while sitting in my backpack :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

IAmKale posted:

This would be great if power profiles were respected. My favorite "feature" is the fact that the laptop doesn't change power settings if you remove the power cable after closing the lid. I'm often frustrated by the fact that this thing, despite being at 100% the day before when I closed the lid, is suddenly dead as a doornail the next morning because the god-damned thing was idling away all night while sitting in my backpack :argh:

It doesn’t switch to the “On Battery” profile when you pull the power cable? What the hell? :psyduck:

Is this something you can verify through the system logs? Like it makes an entry when the lid is open and remove, but doesn’t when the lid closed?