Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
24 hour Disney is such a bad idea that even one night a year was too much and got cancelled. Parents got arrested for leaving kids in strollers while they road Splash Mountain, benches turned into hobo beds, etc. It was a hot mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Parents got arrested for leaving kids in strollers while they road Splash Mountain, benches turned into hobo beds, etc.

The second of these makes sense. What does the first one have to do with the park being open overnight? Negligent parenting doesn’t have a specific time of day.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
True, the madness of 24 hours at Disney probably contributed to somewhat reckless behaviour.

But I think the true issue to a 24 hour day is everything that gets done 3rd shift. Not just the cleaning and replacing light bulbs, but all the other more important maintenance. If the teacups are spinning at every hour of the night, at what point do they have the opportunity to tighten the bolts before a car goes flying? When will they be able to walk around Space Mountain and pick up all the phones and hats people lost? When will they drain Splash Mountain and clear out all the gunk?

Plus, you have the issue of figuring out how to provide excellent service from that 2:00-7:00 morning crowd. Probably at most hours of operation, you could have a cast member to guest ratio of somewhere over 100:1 (based on absolutely no evidence and pure blind guessing). In those wee hours, barring a special event, you would likely to see that ratio go waaay down. Do you close some shops? Some restaurants? Have less security on the clock? It's a question that Disney doesn't want to contend with. They pride themselves on being the place where any guest can purchase just about anything at any time (and never closing up unless absolutely necessary), having plenty of food options available, and being able to enjoy themselves in absolute security. And having to contend with those questions for only a moderate crowd does not make it worthwhile to them.

And that's not to mention the late night crowd being rowdier and (likely) less family friendly. Plus, some people who somehow don't have a place to sleep and yet have a ticket or a AP just making Disney their temporary/permanent home would be a PR and Guest Relations nightmare. It's easier to have a necessary time for them to shut down and kick everyone out just to make sure everything is Disney Perfect™.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

I was in the trenches for one of the free twenty-four hours events. Still remember the bodies strewn all over the Tomorrowland arcade, think that's half the reason they closed it(besides Florida passing a law so stupidly vague that people thought it made arcade games illegal). I left after two past midnight when I realized it was no fun and crowded as hell. I think it was also before they started going all out with booze in the parks so I can't imagine what it would have been like with it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Grundulum posted:

Negligent parenting doesn’t have a specific time of day.

Of course, but every bad trait is amplified at 3 am when people have been up almost 24 hours. Lack of sleep impairs judgement as much as alcohol.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Feb 14, 2018

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Silly Burrito posted:

I swear, I think the entire state of Louisiana had the same idea we did and we all packed up and drove to Disney for Mardi Gras. I've seen more LSU/Mardi Gras/ULL/New Orleans shirts and hats this trip than I've ever seen before. At 11:00 PM tonight after getting off Frozen, some drunk lady yelled out "Who here is NOT from Louisiana?" and in a group of 16-20 random strangers, we all just looked around and laughed.

Now in our delirium of waiting for the buses to take us back to AoA, we had a money making opportunity for Walt: What if the parks were open 24/7? I'm sure maintenance wise this would be hell to keep the park looking as good as it does (not to mention employee morale of having to work the 3am tea cup shift when people puke everywhere).

But, it would allow people to plan to come when the Florida heat is slightly less oppressive at night and maybe that would help the lines just a bit, although you still would have lines all times of the day for the popular rides.

Braksgirl thinks my idea is not feasible, and I honestly agree, but it's just intriguing to think about.

On the Disney Dish podcast Len Testa, while contemplating long term implications of global warming, once suggested the parks might have a built in siesta in the future where they shift the operating hours both earlier and later with a break in the heat of the day. So uh, you are not alone in thinking about changing the way the parks operate to account for the heat.

On a related note, given ocean level projections castaway cay is supposed to be under water at some point in the next 50-100 years (can’t remember which). On that podcast they’ve also talked about how Disney needs to find a new island.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dren posted:

On the Disney Dish podcast Len Testa, while contemplating long term implications of global warming, once suggested the parks might have a built in siesta in the future where they shift the operating hours both earlier and later with a break in the heat of the day. So uh, you are not alone in thinking about changing the way the parks operate to account for the heat.

On a related note, given ocean level projections castaway cay is supposed to be under water at some point in the next 50-100 years (can’t remember which). On that podcast they’ve also talked about how Disney needs to find a new island.

It's a bit weird to consider the implications of Disney being so big as to consider the condition of its entertainment venues 100 years in the future.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Lincoln posted:

I got to be a knight in Enchanted Tales with Belle:

I don't look too stalky here, do I? I do? Well, I'm actually looking at my wife, who's taking the picture.

The two "knights" are the last characters to pose with Belle, and it's inevitably two creeper dads. Bog-standard poo poo-eating grins:

lmao

I had a similar experience last time I went to MK. I had never done enchanted tales before, so my fiance grabbed us a fast pass just so I can experience it. She described it as "some dumb but cute little thing for kids" so we stood way off to the side to let the kids do their thing. Of course I was the first person to get grabbed to be a character and get dragged into everything.

I had a good time being a knight, mostly because I have no sense of shame and got really into it.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Hoop De Doo was 75% Louisiana for me. Friend of mine’s daughter goes to LSU, and they shut down for Mardi Gras, and apparently so does the rest of the state. I was impressed.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Yeah Monday and Tuesday the kids are out of school it’s not much of a reach to just take the whole week off to Disney. We’re going during Louisiana fall break this year

Visit Orange Beach, Alabama during the summer. It feels like half of Louisiana is there.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

We saw a ton of those Disney Mardi Gras shirts that said something like "Mickey throw me something" and I was pretty confused. EPCOT had a lotta drunk Naw'leans talk last night.

EDIT these

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Never ditching mardi gras for Disney :colbert:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

couldcareless posted:

If you live here, you know it's a perfect time to get away from the masses and crowds to join the other masses and crowds.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

skipdogg posted:

Yeah Monday and Tuesday the kids are out of school it’s not much of a reach to just take the whole week off to Disney. We’re going during Louisiana fall break this year

Visit Orange Beach, Alabama during the summer. It feels like half of Louisiana is there.

I always thought it was funny that every store in Gulf Shores and Orange Beach sells Alabama and Auburn merch, but damned if LSU merchandise isn't the next best seller there. I guess Mississippi people go straight to their own Biloxi/Gulfport beach.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Just got in line at Buzz Lightyear for the Space Mountain ride. 35 minute wait. Good luck to you working Disney goons tonight.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Silly Burrito posted:

If you live here, you know it's a perfect time to get away from the masses and crowds to join the other masses and crowds.

I live for the Mardi Gras masses. And I ride.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

couldcareless posted:

oh boy last year we planned Disney poorly and accidentally went during Mardi Gras. And by pure coincidence, we ended up at the French Quarter, which I guess was pretty cool.

All parks packed full of people from Louisiana. Wouldn't recommend. We picked that week because we expected everything to be relatively empty, neglecting to check the school schedule of states that are not ours.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Renegret posted:

oh boy last year we planned Disney poorly and accidentally went during Mardi Gras. And by pure coincidence, we ended up at the French Quarter, which I guess was pretty cool.

All parks packed full of people from Louisiana. Wouldn't recommend. We picked that week because we expected everything to be relatively empty, neglecting to check the school schedule of states that are not ours.

At this point I just assume Disney to be busy no matter what. I'll bet even last year with that hurricane blowing up the side of Florida, the crowds were large until they shut down the park.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Silly Burrito posted:

At this point I just assume Disney to be busy no matter what. I'll bet even last year with that hurricane blowing up the side of Florida, the crowds were large until they shut down the park.

yeah that's why I said relatively empty

It's the difference between a 10 minute standby on Small World vs. an hour and a half.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Yup, most schools are out this entire week here and the weather would be pretty nice this time of year. If you don't like the hassle of dealing with Mardi Gras, Disney is a fairly obvious destination.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Why is the standby line for Peter Pan so ridiculous?

I don't think that it's that amazing. I mean, it's cute, but I don't think it's any better than the winnie the pooh and little mermaid rides. Yet Peter Pan's wait time is always stupidly long. The only thing that's consistently longer is 7 Dwarfs.

Then right next door is Small World, which is a staple of the park as far as I'm concerned and I can't leave MK without going on it at least once. Yet it's a walk on ride unless the park is really busy.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Silly Burrito posted:

No they weren't, because I was there. It was incredibly dead for the 9/7 halloween party (and then I got trapped down there for a day) and AK and Epcot were pretty quiet the following day.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Renegret posted:

I don't think that it's that amazing. I mean, it's cute, but I don't think it's any better than the winnie the pooh and little mermaid rides. Yet Peter Pan's wait time is always stupidly long. The only thing that's consistently longer is 7 Dwarfs.

Then right next door is Small World, which is a staple of the park as far as I'm concerned and I can't leave MK without going on it at least once. Yet it's a walk on ride unless the park is really busy.

I don’t have the numbers but what I’ve heard is it’s a capacity problem. The ride is old and it does not have the throughput of newer rides so even a modest amount of people going on it turns into a huge queue.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Renegret posted:

It has low throughput. About 800 riders per hour versus 3,000 for Small World.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

No they weren't, because I was there. It was incredibly dead for the 9/7 halloween party (and then I got trapped down there for a day) and AK and Epcot were pretty quiet the following day.

Yeah, the day before the hurricane hit and the two days after it cleared were amazing. In one day, I rode every ride at Hollywood Studios (Tower twice) and went to AK and got on Flight of Passage with a 30 minute stand by wait (it was posted 45, but it wasn't)

So you just have to weather a scary as gently caress storm and the park is your oyster!

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I was told during the Super Bowl that Flight of Passage had a 15 minute wait and I almost fainted

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Yeah, the day before the hurricane hit and the two days after it cleared were amazing. In one day, I rode every ride at Hollywood Studios (Tower twice) and went to AK and got on Flight of Passage with a 30 minute stand by wait (it was posted 45, but it wasn't)

So you just have to weather a scary as gently caress storm and the park is your oyster!

I stand corrected and will plan my next trip around a hurricane. ;)

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Silly Burrito posted:

I always thought it was funny that every store in Gulf Shores and Orange Beach sells Alabama and Auburn merch, but damned if LSU merchandise isn't the next best seller there. I guess Mississippi people go straight to their own Biloxi/Gulfport beach.

We stay at the Caribe every summer, and I swear the parking lot is at least 50% Louisiana plates, with a good smattering of Texas thrown in. We live in Texas but vacation with my wife's family which all live in Louisiana. She's an LSU grad, and as appropriate has LSU stickers and License plate frames on her car. Every time I drive her car I get someone randomly honking at me and yelling "Geaux Tigers" at me. It's very disconcerting. I stopped wearing the LSU shirts she got me because random people at the grocery store kept yelling at me lol. There's a lot of Louisiana folk here in San Antonio it seems.

Silly Burrito posted:

At this point I just assume Disney to be busy no matter what.

It's definitely getting that way. I spend a fair bit of time on disboards and the general consensus is there really isn't a slow time to go anymore. We had a great time in 2015, we went the last week of Feb into early March, but that was before the kids started school. We can't do that anymore. 2016 we went Texas spring break week. It was busy, but manageable with a good touring plan. The parks are just busier right now, I think right now the week or two after Labor Day are pretty decent, and there might be a few weeks early in the year that aren't too bad. Someone tried to make the argument that the summer months weren't as bad anymore as folks are moving away from them. I don't know about that.

I think its going to get crazier the next few years. With Toy Story land and Star Wars coming up, and then the 50th anniversary, I expect major crowds to become the norm.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here’s my picture of the castle the night before the hurricane at 7 pm:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Toy Story Land officially opens June 30th, should help increase summer bookings.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Truly shocked they didn't go for Memorial Day like they did for Pandora and Seven Dwarfs Mine Train.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
They probably need that extra month. What state of completion is the area even at currently?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

So...our trip is over and we're home now. I took a lot of flack early on about scheduling our last park as AK just so we could do Flight of Passage, but everyone was so glad we did. That ride was amazing. And I fit in the seat no problem.

Also, the parks were SO crowded last week. Never again, Mardi Gras week. Never. Again.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Anyone have any experience with Touringplans? I'm trying to set up a plan for an MK day with crowd level 4 and it's telling me I only need to arrive 20 min early for Happily Ever After. That seems impossibly optimistic to me, anyone have thoughts?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Dren posted:

Anyone have any experience with Touringplans? I'm trying to set up a plan for an MK day with crowd level 4 and it's telling me I only need to arrive 20 min early for Happily Ever After. That seems impossibly optimistic to me, anyone have thoughts?

It depends on where you want to be in the crowd.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

You can literally walk up the corridor they keep open in the crowd now between main street and the partners statue as the show is starting and get a great spot. Monorail through main street to there would take 15-20 minutes though during that time.

Here's some phone photos from EPCOT Saturday. This weekend was crazy busy at all the parks.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

It depends on where you want to be in the crowd.

I'd like to be in the hub to see the projection show.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Dren posted:

I'd like to be in the hub to see the projection show.

45 minutes minimum

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

:woop: Source audio for Happily Ever After! :woop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ7Pa_P2AX0

Photo dump from MK. Wanted to get a few character shots from the projections and snagged some good ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bottom Liner, how much do you charge for photo shoots?