Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It's got the same problem as the Atlantic. It's so determined to show 'both sides' that it ends up giving a mouthpiece to some loving awful ideas and people. The Atlantic is 50/50 between 'racism is inherently woven into the culture of the West in general and the US in particular, here's how to confront that problem' and 'bloody millenials'

I realise that is, potentially, a very naive view of Q and A insofar that I am assuming that it has an ideology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Clearly Barnaby would be doing better if only he appeared on Kitchen Cabinet cooking up a storm of roasted lamb shanks and beetroot with balsamic vinegar in his not partners tiny taxpayer funded a Canberra apartment

true leftist
Feb 1, 2018

by zen death robot
i can't believe kylar loussikian works for the telegraph now, back in 2013 he told me i was shortlisted for an interview as the graphic designer for the cofa student mag but then i called him "ms. loussikian" in the response email and he never wrote back to me lol

true leftist
Feb 1, 2018

by zen death robot
kylar if you're reading this i'm sorry, my grandmother told me i always had to use a title when emailing about jobs and i tried, i tried, i had to guess

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Don Dongington posted:

Didn't we determine that the SA State opposition leader was pretty much Xenophon now anyway?

My hot take on Tamworth is that these people don't support Joyce because he's better for the bush, because even inner city idiots like us know how bullshit that is, and country people aren't that easy to hoodwink.

They supported Joyce over Windsor because they actually LIKE all the horrid Liberal/National far-right poo poo he actually stands for, like the racism, homophobia, making GBS threads on the poor, torturing brown people etc. Windsor worked with the Greens and Labor and that's the biggest no-no for these people because SAFE SCHOOLS TURNING OUR KIDS INTO TRANSVESTITE FAGS or whatever.

They'd vote for any Liberal or National that ran as long as they were happy to keep preaching hate, and having the most prominent member of the coalition's rabid right is just a bonus.

Actually country people are exactly that easy to hoodwink

true leftist
Feb 1, 2018

by zen death robot
can i design the cofa student mag now. i've been kicked off the dole and i can't pay my rent

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Cofa is that stuff in the fridge that looks like food but isn't

true leftist
Feb 1, 2018

by zen death robot
it is now called unswad, it was rebranded in my final year at enormous cost

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/SkyNewsAust/status/963634033669308417

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Sorry, can someone quickly point me in the direction of why Joyce is all beetroots?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

A political debate with... Two sides?!?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/Mamamia/status/963635733293617152

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
First guy owns

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Tokamak posted:

A political debate with... Two sides?!?

There are really 4 tho:

Support Barnaby
Don't support Barnaby
Divorcing Barnaby
Secretly wanting some Red Rooter

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Goddamnit I could murder a Hawaiian pack

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

There is an ancient principle: You reap what you sow.

Never has this been truer than what we have witnessed this week in Canberra. The deputy prime minister is in all sorts of bother due to his personal choices, but that is all I am going to say about that today.

Whilst the news cycle has understandably developed into a demanding 24-hour cycle requiring a constant feed of news, the media have sown a modern Canberra commentary that is not about policy, principles or explanation of the issues.

Their crop – in full harvest in recent parliaments – is ripe innuendo, rumours and scuttlebutt that ultimately results in leadership change.

Salacious matters are far more attractive to news producers and indeed the mass audience than, say, a detailed explanation of just what is happening to the Murray-Darling Basin plan in the Senate at the moment.

I will have more to say on that in the Senate later today.

As for the political elites here in Canberra – where we have been passing legislation during the soap opera you see on TV – they are reaping a whirlwind they have sown over the years, namely poll-driven, knee-jerk decision-making.

Neither the National party nor the government can ignore the circumstances of the deputy prime minister because it is all over the media, and the doomsday clock of 30 Newspolls is about to tick again this weekend.

I am not for a moment defending or condemning the deputy prime minister, merely observing that the material you are seeing on your television and your smartphone screen is a direct result of the fatuous, gossipy swamp that the present gaggle of politicians and media have created.

There is – as I am wont to say – a better way.

Private and family lives of politicians should be off-limits. Yet politicians blur the lines by bringing the public into their lives to get public affirmation.

That public affirmation only occurs because politicians have cultivated a ‘selfie’-style, ‘look at me’ approach to their involvement in public policy, rather than devoting time to explain and educate voters about the principles behind their decision-making.

Where once Bob Hawke and Kim Hughes stunned us with tears, now the waterworks are regularly deployed to attract public sympathy.

I doubt that calmer heads will prevail this week when it comes to the leadership of the National party.

I’m not equipped with all the facts or machinations within that organisation, but I would be surprised to see the deputy prime minister serving as acting prime minister next week.

I think the Australian people, however, would be with me in saying a line must be drawn under this whole affair.

Once a position is settled, we need to get back to talking about the policies and principles that matter in this country.

If you don’t like a soap opera on your TV, you have the right to change the channel. We don’t want people switching off of politics, because too much is at stake.

Cory Bernadi

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
Nah, I think Joyce has thrown enough rocks in this glass house to let it shatter around him as gloriously as possible until he's red in the... Face...

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

The sanctimony of the left could ultimately save Joyce

BEING dubbed the “Bonking Beetroot” and becoming a national figure of derision is pretty much what Barnaby Joyce deserves for getting his staffer pregnant and leaving his wife and four children.

But the sanctimonious left-wing pile-on this week is so over-the top and hypocritical, it has provoked a backlash of community support for the embattled deputy prime minister.

You know you’ve jumped the shark when disgraced former Labor Senator Sam Dastyari is ranting on that he quit parliament for a “lot less”.

Seriously, a senator who had a Chinese donor pay off a personal debt, who warned another Chinese donor his phone might be tapped by government agencies, who sanctioned Beijing’s aggression in the South China Sea at a press conference with his benefactors, comparing himself to Barnaby Joyce and his sticky marital troubles?

Give me a break.

And when you have vicious Tony Windsor, Barnaby’s vanquished political enemy in New England, stirring the pot, you know the frenzy has gone too far

Windsor’s former chief adviser, John Clements, who’s been spreading dirt, was comprehensively trounced on strategy and tactics during the 2016 election by his opposite number in Barnaby’s office, Vikki Campion, 33, who, of course, is the pregnant staffer at the centre of this saga.

It doesn’t take much inside knowledge to detect the desperate tang of vengeance from the Windsor camp.

As for those oh-so-upright sections of the media who tut-tut at The Daily Telegraph for breaking the story they now salivate over, no one buys their solemn attempts to elevate it into some sort of Watergate scandal involving misused taxpayer funds.

That’s just a fig leaf for their prurience to allow them to publish over and over the Telegraph front pages they condemn.

The “funds misuse” beat-up is also being used as a proxy weapon by Labor and others who want to destabilise the Turnbull government, to avoid being accused of throwing stones in glass houses (and boy, are there a lot of glass houses.)

The fact is that Vikki Campion was an elite operator who any minister would kill to have as media adviser.

Barnaby would have been sorry, from a professional point of view, to lose her from his office.

He had had to fight hard to steal her from then NSW Nationals Leader Troy Grant. That’s how good she was at her job.

But they had slept together, his wife knew about it, and he was trying to put his marriage back together. That was what was going on last April, when Vikki moved to Matt Canavan’s office.

A man trying to revive his marriage after an affair hardly wants the temptation of the lovelorn former mistress remaining in his office. Nor, quite obviously, does the wife.

Yet this is what the baying Lilliputians trying to bring down the deputy prime minister insist is a capital offence.

He had three options. Keep her in his office: untenable.

Sack her: You can’t sack a staffer because you’ve slept with her. Imagine the justified #metoo crucifixion.

Or find a job for a talented staffer with another minister.

Vikki had to interview for the job, and no one suggests she didn’t get it on merit. I have seen her pay slip for the fortnight March 23 to April 5 last year, and her salary was some $60,000 less than the figure that has been published in the media, or $35,000 less if you add maximum overtime.

It is true her salary rose by 3.5 per cent when she moved to Canavan’s office as social media advisor, but she then took a pay cut of almost the same magnitude when she moved to Damien Drum’s office after Canavan had to step aside pending a High Court determination of his citizenship eligibility.

If you remember at the time, Barnaby, his deputy Fiona Nash and Canavan were all caught in the citizenship drama and all the staff from their offices had to be warehoused with other National MPs until the mess was sorted out.

So when she moved from Canavan to Drum’s office, Vikki was being treated like any other staff member.

It’s extraordinary that so-called feminists now characterise her as an airhead given grace and favour jobs by her boyfriend.

The Nationals have an allocation of 80 staffers and they are free to distribute them among MPs as they wish. Vikki’s employment remained within the envelope, so it is untrue to say a job was “created” for her.

Barnaby explained the timeline of the affair yesterday in a grim media statement which ought to put to rest at least some of the criticism.

“My marriage was under pressure for some time, Natalie and I tried to make it work again in April last year but it subsequently came to an end. I take responsibility for that failure.”

He also made the public apology to his wife and daughters which he should have made last week instead of doing a car crash interview on the ABCs 730 program that wiser heads warned him against.

Barnaby has to answer to his own conscience. But objectively he’s been a great leader for the Nationals and rural and regional Australia is booming on his watch. He should probably go on extended and immediate leave, to make amends in his personal life, and not step in as acting prime minister when Malcolm Turnbull heads to Washington next week.

But the Nationals would be mad to dump him, as the letters of support flooding into Nationals MPs offices attest.

John wrote: “Barnaby, you’re a legend. You’re a straight, white, non-Muslim male, just like me. What you do in your own time is none of my business ... Please be assured that you have my full support.”

Meanwhile Bev wrote: “Stay strong Mr Joyce, not all of us need to pry into your private life. As the good old Australian saying goes “Don’t let the bast ... get you down.”

Australians don’t like kicking a dog when it’s down.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/r...b40c0d1494b94f2

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

quote:

Barnaby, you’re a legend. You’re a straight, white, non-Muslim male, just like me.

High standards indeed.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
John wrote: “Barnaby, you’re a legend. You’re a straight, white, non-Muslim male, just like me. What you do in your own time is none of my business ... Please be assured that you have my full support.”

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Don't let Bast get you down

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Christ on a loving cracker, it's only February.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Yeah but Islam let's you have multiple wives:agesilaus:

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Amazing writeup on the comments from the Mamamia facebook page. Thank you.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/AndrewBGreene/status/963641503288578048

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

what the gently caress

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/SkyNewsAust/status/963641312334548998

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

BBJoey posted:

what the gently caress

I think this is called identity politics.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

BBJoey posted:

what the gently caress

I nearly missed that. What the gently caress indeed.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

It's been a couple days since the story broke. You'd have to be pretty loving cooked to assume there's not way more dirt yet to come.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Don Dongington posted:

It's been a couple days since the story broke. You'd have to be pretty loving cooked to assume there's not way more dirt yet to come.

Did you not see that the people being quoted were Nationals MPs?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

barnaby's safe and this won't move the 2PP one bit

i'm still stunned over the "white straight non-muslim male" comment. i shouldn't be, but it's just so blatant.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Scrunt Nation.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

BBJoey posted:

barnaby's safe and this won't move the 2PP one bit

i'm still stunned over the "white straight non-muslim male" comment. i shouldn't be, but it's just so blatant.

Have you even seen half the bullshit that gets posted on Facebook from so-called "Patriot Australians" FB Groups? That's pretty much their go-to thing to do "This Muslim man has 18 wives and still gets the dole let's gently caress him out of the country"

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Of course there won't be consequences. The citizenship farce should have taught us that

quote:

What you do in your own time is none of my business

Odds this guy voted no in the plebischite?

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

There was a point in this where dogfuckenny postulates that the Nationals "need to ask themselves if this is the man who should be leading their party". Mate, the real question is: how the gently caress did that decide it would be him in the first place? How bad were the other choices if Barnababymaker got chosen to lead? What sort of shitshow follows from this supreme disgrace?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Imagine being in such a bad state Barnaby is still the best face for your party.

Hey guys, we got you the "most affordable" one. Made in Australia.

*morale plummets*

It's been a long while since I was in but everyone just wanted Russian poo poo for some reason. I think it was the fact it was proven, reliable and would "work perfectly" in the bush. Or so I was told.

Obviously for geopolitical reasons that would never happen in a million years. But the people overseas who are potentially in the market for a bush bashing armored vehicle might have more attractive options.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Feb 14, 2018

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

There was a point in this where dogfuckenny postulates that the Nationals "need to ask themselves if this is the man who should be leading their party". Mate, the real question is: how the gently caress did that decide it would be him in the first place? How bad were the other choices if Barnababymaker got chosen to lead? What sort of shitshow follows from this supreme disgrace?

Hmmm why did the guy who held his seat by double digit margins for decades and maintained a high profile throughout become leader? Truly a mystery for the party room to ponder.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

DancingShade posted:

It's been a long while since I was in but everyone just wanted Russian poo poo for some reason. I think it was the fact it was proven, reliable and would "work perfectly" in the bush. Or so I was told.

Obviously for geopolitical reasons that would never happen in a million years. But the people overseas who are potentially in the market for a bush bashing armored vehicle might have more attractive options.

There was a period where the DOD had everybody masturbating over Russian hardware because it resulted in much better budgets. I guess that spilled over into allied countries because I remember people frothing over MiG29s and SU27s well into the 2000s too.

They still make a pretty scary air defence system, but Russia's GDP is less than some US States now so they're not really approaching peer status the way they were when they were bankrupting the entire soviet union just to keep up.

I don't know if anyone is making a decent light tank or troop carrier or whatever that thing is though. The US was particularly bad at doing that sort of thing; look at the M111 and the Bradley for good examples of terrible procurement/design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Amethyst posted:

Hmmm why did the guy who held his seat by double digit margins for decades and maintained a high profile throughout become leader? Truly a mystery for the party room to ponder.

This would be a mystery because he’s only held New England since 2013.

• Locked thread