Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

DC Murderverse posted:

USA is geting smoked right now, being behind 4-0 after having the hammer twice is depressing af

but not as bad as being down 7-0 after three ends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
all USA had to do was draw on to an empty button and instead they gave up 3 points to Japan

loving yikes, 0-7 in the 3rd end

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Russian skip is awful, Sidorova would be clowning on her.
She does it again, just needs to draw anywhere in the house and throws it right through

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Eve and Anna :swoon:

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Josh Lyman posted:

Russian skip is awful, Sidorova would be clowning on her.

They clowned Sidorova in the Russian playdowns somehow. :shrug:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Holy poo poo, Japanese skip with an awful throw. Simple hit and roll for 3 and they hit the high guard letting USA steal for 1. They could be up 11-4 and the game would be over.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I liked Mixed Doubles a lot, maybe more than the normal style. I love the pace and the scrambling.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

These two stones are so ridiculously close they had to use the measuring device like 6 times lol

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

the japanese player just cracking up and giggling as they spin around in circles like 5 times lol

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Minrad posted:

the japanese player just cracking up and giggling as they spin around in circles like 5 times lol
yeah definitely the most kawaii thing i've seen all games

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

naisu naisu!

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

watching the canada/UK men's game is such a stellar flip from the USA/japan women's game. I always forget how loving good canadians are every time I stop watching them for a game and see everyone else with like, 40% accuracy at best

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Japanese TV showed all the good Japanese shots and they looked great. Of course they skip everything bad...

Shocked to see them put up such big numbers over the Americans.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/Devin_Heroux/status/963719227432583169

never change

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Rick posted:

I liked Mixed Doubles a lot, maybe more than the normal style. I love the pace and the scrambling.

The strategy seems a bit repetitive in mixed doubles. I do like the faster pace of it though.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Well that’s just wonderful

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

gret posted:

The strategy seems a bit repetitive in mixed doubles. I do like the faster pace of it though.

I am no curling expert, but isn't the strategy pretty repetitive for normal 4-person curling too?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Mixed doubles seemed to have a tendency to get pretty out of hand. A lot of games seemed to be called before they played 8 ends. Maybe that's just cause I mostly watched Canada buzzsaw through everyone.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Bird in a Blender posted:

I am no curling expert, but isn't the strategy pretty repetitive for normal 4-person curling too?

It can be, but when you start with no rocks in play, you can put your first one wherever you want to dictate how the end plays out. If you want an open end with no guards, you can throw the first stone into the house and make the other team take it out. (They might ignore it at first if they need to score, but eventually, they'll have to do something about your stones.) The center guard and back four stone, coupled with the four rock rule means the only real viable first shot is the freeze. (I've played in games where we went for the tick, but then you're just exposed in the back four.

leftist heap posted:

Mixed doubles seemed to have a tendency to get pretty out of hand. A lot of games seemed to be called before they played 8 ends. Maybe that's just cause I mostly watched Canada buzzsaw through everyone.

Just about all curling games are called early. 3 out of 8 men's games only went 9 ends, and none of the four women's games went 10. (a 9, two 8s and a 7.) (Remember that mixed doubles games are scheduled for 8 ends, while fours are scheduled for 10, and there are a lot fewer ways to score a big end. A team down 4 after 7 in fours is playing for a 2 or 3 in the 8th, a force, and then a 2 or 3 in the 10th to tie/win. A team down 4 after 7 in mixed doubles is done.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

i can say without reservation muirhead is going to spank us again

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Doesn't seem to be any commentary for the USA-GB game on my feed, which is just fine for me I guess.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
GBR missed a raise and left the USA with the whole house. So of course she flashed it and now this end will probably be blanked again.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Muirhead really struggling. Missed her final stone in end 1 that cost GBR a second point and again in end 3 that gave USA an second point.

lol GBR flashed another. First and Second have both done it this game now.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
drat South Korea just stole 2

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Canada's mixed doubles lost their first game and still won gold

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Yeah Korea doing well right now

Tolly Totes
Oct 12, 2016

If we're free, tell me why
I can't look in my brother's eye
I just tuned in and this isn't what I was expecting at all!

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
All four matches are 4-3 right now, that's weird

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

John Wilkes Booth posted:

All four matches are 4-3 right now, that's weird
The Olympics are rigged.

Tolly Totes
Oct 12, 2016

Is there some kind of stream that covers all games at once or is my only option jumping between them?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

4/3... *looks at calendar* my god, they're trying to warn us

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
So happy that Shuster is back this year.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

we've reached bizarro curling

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Korean Skip :swoon: also you could say that last end had some canadian miskews :v:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Koirhor posted:

Korean Skip :swoon: also you could say that last end had some canadian miskews :v:
Gonna have to watch the replay I guess. This GBR/USA game has been very lackluster.

Tolly Totes
Oct 12, 2016

Korean team laying it down now.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Korea is kicking some rear end wow

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

i see this posted before the match and what's going on right now shouldn't be surprising

https://twitter.com/Devin_Heroux/status/963923284856250368

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Is it me or do Miskew and Homan look related?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

alnilam posted:

Is it me or do Miskew and Homan look related?

Well yeah they're both Canadian :razz:

• Locked thread