Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Calaveron posted:

I mean Harley's entire gimmick was being a children's cartoon character they used to deliver relatively subtle sexual jokes and situations, an adult oriented cartoon doesn't need to censor itself so much and just runs the risk of being crass and pointless

Predictions of Ren and Stimpy's Adult John K's Nostalgia Money Grab bad, yea or nea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
What if Harley Quinn, but she can say gently caress

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

What if Harley Quinn, but no one knows what to do with her anymore

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I know Harley has been popular since Batman TAS (I like her but she's just another character to me), but when and why did she undergo this explosion in popularity in the past five (?) years?

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

They switched her from Joker's abusive relationship to bubble gum psycho girl, and started pushing her as a wacky, random character who was so totally a rebel.

Basically they're trying to run with her as DC's Deadpool, but without anything that makes good depictions of Deadpool work, and without anything that made good depictions of Harley work.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Harley appeals to market sectors (women and girls) that DC historically has had some trouble with, at least since the Wonder Woman TV series was a big deal. And like, not just in a fringe way, she has actual appeal there. I can see the rationale behind the push.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kurui Reiten posted:

They switched her from Joker's abusive relationship to bubble gum psycho girl, and started pushing her as a wacky, random character who was so totally a rebel.

I see. I suppose that's why I don't get it. I don't tend to like that kind of character.

At the same time, if that is getting new people into comics who wouldn't have been otherwise, then I'm sure all would agree that this is a good thing on balance.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

I see. I suppose that's why I don't get it. I don't tend to like that kind of character.

At the same time, if that is getting new people into comics who wouldn't have been otherwise, then I'm sure all would agree that this is a good thing on balance.

I mean, it's less "getting new people into comics" and more "selling backpacks and stuff" because kids don't read comics.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Kurui Reiten posted:

What if Harley Quinn, but no one knows what to do with her anymore

The only time I read one of the comics with her in them, because I thought she was a fun character in the animated series, they decided to revamp her back story so she slept her way to getting her degree and was just completely helpless and incompetent as the joker made her evil and so gosh dang crazy!

I haven't really liked any of the hot new takes on the character since, either.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harley Quinn has an incredibly compelling concept as both a villain and a hero and a variety of extremely marketable and likable designs. The combination of the two really makes her easy to market and makes her instantly appealing to people with only the loosest concept of the character.

It also helps that most of her variations are pretty easy sells and they can do whatever they need to in order to sell it.
"What if: The Joker but a hot lady?"
"What if: The Joker's abused ex finally cuts him off and is able to become a peppy cheerful hero?"
"What if: Deadpool but a hot lady?"
etc.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
The answer is Hot Topic.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Batman Ninja gets a home release in May

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08dHXfIprYE

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

posted this in the other thread, but I will never understand why cel-shaded CG with an artificially lowered framerate is a thing. It still won't pass for actual 2D anime, so you might as well keep the framerate up and take advantage of the strengths of the CG medium.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
The tech has come a long way, and it probably will be completely passable in the next decade, but yeah, for now it just seems like its own weird style. That said, it's not the worst thing when done decently. Certainly better than cheap, bad CG that is just ugly in every way.

I mean, rewatching the trailer, I would take this over any of the DC animated films we have gotten the past several years.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Im assuming cell shaded cg is cheaper than straight animation??

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, CGI being cheaper than traditional animation has been the case for awhile. It's why most TV cartoons, if not standard CG are still largely done on computers.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Damien went in full force on the samurai stuff, nice hair cut, kid.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Sumo Bane is the thing that nobody asked for but only because nobody had ever imagined it

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, CGI being cheaper than traditional animation has been the case for awhile. It's why most TV cartoons, if not standard CG are still largely done on computers.

It's pretty much only Japanese studios that deliberately lower the framerate on cel-shaded CG, though, and that doesn't have much of anything to do with budget.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Barry Convex posted:

It's pretty much only Japanese studios that deliberately lower the framerate on cel-shaded CG, though, and that doesn't have much of anything to do with budget.

Sure it does. Fewer frames means less rendering time means faster, cheaper animation.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Batman Ninja English Cast:

Roger Craig Smith - Batman

Tony Hale - Joker

Grey Griffin - Catwoman

Tara Strong - Harley Quinn, Poison Ivy

Yuri Lownethal - Robin

Adam Croasdell - Nightwing

Will Friedle - Red Robin, Red Hood

Fred Tatasciore - Gorilla Grodd, Deathstroke

Tom Kenny - Penguin

Eric Bauza - Two-Face

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm so sick of Tara Strong and Yuri Lowenthal.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Updated synopsis

quote:

Batman Ninja takes a journey across the ages as Gorilla Grodd's time displacement machine transports many of Batman's worst enemies to feudal Japan - along with the Dark Knight and a few of his allies. The villains take over the forms of the feudal lords that rule the divided land, with the Joker taking the lead among the warring factions. As his traditional high-tech weaponry is exhausted almost immediately, Batman must rely on his intellect and his allies - including Catwoman and the extended Bat-family - to restore order to the land, and return to present-day Gotham City.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hahaha, there's a framing device? That's so stupid. Just make it an elseworlds!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

site posted:

Im assuming cell shaded cg is cheaper than straight animation??

Yeah. CG based stuff allows you to create a model which you can then use in various situations, sets which you can frame from various angles, etc. Once you've built your assets, you can pose and manipulate them to create various new scenes at a relatively small additional time cost.

In traditional animation, every piece of animation has to be individually hand-crafted. If you want a character walking to the door, that's a different thing entirely from a character crossing their arms. You have to work from scratch on the new "walking to the door" animation. In CG, both are just the same model posed differently.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Right, but the downside is creating a new model entirely is a lot more time consuming and expensive in CG, whereas with traditional animation (digital or otherwise) it's no more effort than just drawing a character in a different pose. Which is why a lot of CG cartoons have a very small cast of characters that seem to exist in a deserted void with no bystanders. Of course CG animation gets easier and more refined every year, so it's not as bad as it used to be.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, it's a case of where the cost lies. In any sufficiently large project, CG is going to be cheaper, because all the cost is front-loaded. Creating the flexible assets at the core of the project is the single most expensive job, and everything after that is posing and tweaking them. Animating traditionally, the cost is evenly spread out over the whole project, and doesn't decrease as you invest time.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Hahaha, there's a framing device? That's so stupid. Just make it an elseworlds!

You haven't noticed? All the trailers have Batman flat saying "oh gently caress we time traveled" and poo poo.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I didn't watch the trailers. It's a modern DC animated feature with ninja Batman. I don't think the trailers can tell me anything else that'll help me decide if I want to watch it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I'm so sick of Tara Strong and Yuri Lowenthal.

Not sure who voiced Harley in Batman and Harley Quinn, but she was a breath of fresh air over Tara.

Her constant shrieking to try and emulate Arleen Sorkin is incredibly obnoxious and very hard on the ears.

Not sure why DC still uses her, to be honest.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think Tara Strong and Jennifer Hale are the only two women in north american voice acting.

The only two men are Yuri Lowenthal and Nolan North.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Lurdiak posted:

I think Tara Strong and Jennifer Hale are the only two women in north american voice acting.

(Steve Blum appears, pops Wolverine style claws and guts you.)

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
That lady from Big Bang Theory was awful as Harley.

Batman Ninja sounds fun and that’s all I care about.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

ThermoPhysical posted:

Not sure who voiced Harley in Batman and Harley Quinn, but she was a breath of fresh air over Tara.

I think this was Melissa Rauch aka Bernadette from Big Bang Theory.

edit: Roger Craig Smith owned as Batman in Arkham Origins so that's gotten me pretty hype

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ThermoPhysical posted:

It was the short chick from Big Bang Theory. She probably has a full schedule and no need for the kinda money DTV cartoons can pay.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lurdiak posted:

Troy Baker, surely.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Troy Baker, surely.

Troy Baker is Nolan North in disguise.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Troy Baker is Nolan North in disguise.

All voice actors, male and female, are actually Billy West.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Even Jim Cummings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Any character that is the littlest bit "cartoony" is Tom Kenny