Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Black King Conga posted:

Hey guys, apologies if this is the wrong thread for this but I just wanted to get your opinions on washer/dryer combos? I am going to move into a flat that essentially only has space for either a washer or a dryer. Does anyone have experience with these? I have no problems with drying my clothes outside of the house but we have unpredictable weather here (hooray New Zealand!). Thanks!

It’s better than nothing, but the drying part isn’t the greatest. Things will still be a bit damp and need some hanging to finish drying.

Home Owner thread may also have some input.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3774735

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Black King Conga posted:

Hey guys, apologies if this is the wrong thread for this but I just wanted to get your opinions on washer/dryer combos? I am going to move into a flat that essentially only has space for either a washer or a dryer. Does anyone have experience with these? I have no problems with drying my clothes outside of the house but we have unpredictable weather here (hooray New Zealand!). Thanks!

Wirecutter has two sets of reviews that might be suited to you.

If you can fit them, these are their picks for compact washer and dryer.

And while they don't recommend it, if you must have a washer/dryer combo, they recommend this one.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Black King Conga posted:

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-washer-dryer-combo/

I've only ever used one of these combos when traveling abroad but they seem fairly common in Europe. They're slow and the capacity isn't great but, like the article says, if it's your only option at least it's a option.

E: efb should've refreshed the page

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Anyone have any recommendations for a coffee mug with a large, square handle that you could wrap your whole hand around? My dad recently had a stroke and is having trouble manipulating regular mugs, so I thought this might be easier for him and make him feel a little better about his situation. Not to be too goony, but the mugs they use in Star Trek Voyager would be absolutely perfect though I can't really afford to spend hundreds of dollars on a set of those, so anything similar would be appreciated. This is for home use, so I'm not really that interested in a travel mug.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

Chip McFuck posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for a coffee mug with a large, square handle that you could wrap your whole hand around? My dad recently had a stroke and is having trouble manipulating regular mugs, so I thought this might be easier for him and make him feel a little better about his situation. Not to be too goony, but the mugs they use in Star Trek Voyager would be absolutely perfect though I can't really afford to spend hundreds of dollars on a set of those, so anything similar would be appreciated. This is for home use, so I'm not really that interested in a travel mug.

You might have luck with medical suppliers. Something like this?

https://www.medline.com/product/Hand-To-Hand-Mugs/Drinking-Aids/Z05-PF16214?question=Mug&index=P18&indexCount=18

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

My mom and I have talked about ordering from a medical supply store with him and picked out a couple to choose from, but he hated that they didn't look like normal mugs or were made of thick plastic. Personally, I think the fact that so much of his life has changed because of his stroke really affected him, so if I could bring a little bit of normalcy back into his life I think that would mean a lot to him.

That's also partially why I was looking at the Voyager mugs, they look like normal mugs but with a large handle that you could fit your hand around.

Edit: Sorry if I sounded ungrateful for the suggestion and to make this too e/n. My dad is just stubborn about his coffee and not appearing "weak". I really appreciate any suggestions as I know this is probably a really specific, niche thing to ask for.

Chip McFuck has a new favorite as of 18:49 on Feb 14, 2018

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"
I work in procurement/purchasing for the long term care industry - I totally 100% understand. It's always hard to retain that "normalcy."

I don't know the mugs you're talking about (and tried to find them online but couldn't). If he can handle the weight of ceramic, then I think you're best bet is going to Etsy or finding one from a local potter (even maybe commissioning it? I can't imagine it would be that much?) I'd offer recommendations for that, but obviously that would be hyper local (and doubt you live in Louisville where I am).

Like this?:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/586665285/square-handle-coffee-mug-handmade-one-of

https://www.etsy.com/market/square_handle_mug

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Ah, sorry! I thought the mug I was talking about was easier to google but I guess not. Here is a photo I found of a pair of them:

The handle runs the length of the cup so I thought it would be easier for him to manipulate and maneuver while still looking enough like a coffee mug.

Talking to a local potter is a great idea! I'm ashamed to say the option didn't even cross my mind. I think he would like that a lot as he's always appreciated hand-made items, and getting him involved in how it might look would probably help it from looking too "hospital-y". Thank you for the wonderful suggestion!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

what's the most powerful yet compact whole room fan you've used? Willing to pay a much higher price if I can get a lot of power in a small size

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

You want it to suck or blow?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

blow sorry :wink: not a window fan

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

what's the most powerful yet compact whole room fan you've used? Willing to pay a much higher price if I can get a lot of power in a small size

I've had a pair of these Honeywell room circulators for about 12 years. One finally kicked the bucket last month after being run pretty regularly, would definitely buy again.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I have something like this.

Seems to work really well and is quiet.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Check this out: Dyson Air Multiplier AM06 Table Fan, 10 Inches, Black/Nickel Dyson https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I8R4UFS/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awdb_t1_r.mHAbK1EY8DW

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Chip McFuck posted:

Ah, sorry! I thought the mug I was talking about was easier to google but I guess not. Here is a photo I found of a pair of them:

The handle runs the length of the cup so I thought it would be easier for him to manipulate and maneuver while still looking enough like a coffee mug.

Talking to a local potter is a great idea! I'm ashamed to say the option didn't even cross my mind. I think he would like that a lot as he's always appreciated hand-made items, and getting him involved in how it might look would probably help it from looking too "hospital-y". Thank you for the wonderful suggestion!

Oh, I have mugs with a handle that big, it was some random one I bought from like Target or the grocery store. Not super helpful, but I just like a full-hand grip and have never had much of an issue finding them with a little looking. I do like metal mugs as I am clumsy, but I also have some random clay ones with big handles as well.

Or just get him this;

TurdBurgles
Sep 17, 2007

I AM WHITE AND PLAY NA FLUTE ON TRIBAL LANDS WITH NO GUILT.
A relative has horrible hand mobility due to a stroke and we have had great luck with the super lovely Disney novelty mugs. They usually have a huge dumb thing on the handle in an odd shape so she has been able to transition slowly to gripping the handle.

Sorry for your situation.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I don’t think I’ve gotten an actual response on any of the last two or three requests I’ve made in this thread, so hopefully this time will be different.

I need an alarm clock. I’ve been waking up using a kitchen timer for like 6 months now, and now that I have a full-time job that poo poo is unacceptable. Please recommend me good alarm clocks. Preferably with big numbers and multiple alarms that I can set to different times.

I. M. Gei has a new favorite as of 06:37 on Feb 15, 2018

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I use my cellphone :effort:

I've heard really good things about this alarm and it's currently 25% off!

Philips Wake-Up Light with Colored Sunrise Simulation alarm clock & sunset fading night light, White HF3520 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0093162RM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_S-rHAbR110N7X

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

SpartanIV posted:

Philips Wake-Up Light with Colored Sunrise Simulation alarm clock & sunset fading night light, White HF3520 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0093162RM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_S-rHAbR110N7X

I have one and like it.

CraigSlice
Sep 23, 2005
: )

PRADA SLUT posted:

I have one and like it.

I also have a cellphone and like it

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Chip McFuck posted:

gently caress Voyager.

Get a Deep Space Nine mug instead!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

bongwizzard posted:

Or just get him this;

Got a link to this?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

SpartanIV posted:

I have that exact model and find that it's only as effective as your sleep sensitivity to light. Unless my face is directly in front of the light and the room is absolutely pitch dark, I'm much more likely to be woken up by the audio feature than the light. I don't dare rely on the light alarm without setting a phone backup as well.

I'll admit that when the light does wake me up, it's faaaar more pleasant than the usual klaxon blaring from my phone. Unfortunately, that happens less than 10% of the time.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Kilometers Davis posted:

Got a link to this?

It's like the fifth Google image search hit for "mug with a large handle".

I want to say I even hotlinked it because I don't give a gently caress about wasting peoples bandwidth anymore.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

If you are willing to use your phone and have Android, this is the alarm app I use:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mcc.alarmclocklifetime&hl=en

My actual physical alarm clock is just a regular cheap Sony clock radio I got ages ago. I don't recommend it any more or less than any other plain old alarm clock.

Wirecutter has an alarm clock review too.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Any dashcam recommendations?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

baquerd posted:

Any dashcam recommendations?

A119S v2, without gps.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Techmoan goes into excruciating detail on those and just crowned his favourite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGXiXz6QXQ4

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I need a new garden hose sprayer nozzle. Old one that we got from Costco finally bit the dust. I'm inclined just to pick up another when Costco inevitably puts out their spring yard care stuff, but is there some recommended model or brand out there that can give me some long term reliability?
This is honestly just a shot in the dark.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

couldcareless posted:

I need a new garden hose sprayer nozzle .... is there some recommended model or brand out there that can give me some long term reliability

no

a design feature of garden hose sprayer nozzles is that they all break within about 2 weeks

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

couldcareless posted:

I need a new garden hose sprayer nozzle. Old one that we got from Costco finally bit the dust. I'm inclined just to pick up another when Costco inevitably puts out their spring yard care stuff, but is there some recommended model or brand out there that can give me some long term reliability?
This is honestly just a shot in the dark.

They are all poo poo. The more metal the longer it will likely last. Try and protect your hose and nozzle from freeze cycles in the winter.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Luckily I live in the south where, aside from this past year, a freeze is very uncommon. I'll just pick up a Costco special. Thanks!

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
There's always the Wirecutter recommended nozzle.

$6 to try.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Do I need an RFID wallet? I recently got my CC info stolen, and I want to step up my defenses. I've already changed all my passwords, and I'll do a better job of paying in cash at sketchy places and making the numbers on the CC harder to read.

Edit: Bought an ID Stronghold after watching this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWcuvLlCVZY

theHUNGERian has a new favorite as of 19:24 on Feb 25, 2018

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Trabant posted:

Techmoan goes into excruciating detail on those and just crowned his favourite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGXiXz6QXQ4

Only front and back favorite

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

theHUNGERian posted:

Do I need an RFID wallet? I recently got my CC info stolen, and I want to step up my defenses. I've already changed all my passwords, and I'll do a better job of paying in cash at sketchy places and making the numbers on the CC harder to read.

Edit: Bought an ID Stronghold after watching this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWcuvLlCVZY

No.

Waterslide Industry Lobbyist
Jun 18, 2003

ANYONE WANT SOME BARBECUE?

Lipstick Apathy
Before I go bug the sneaker thread does anyone here know what shoes the puncher in this photo is wearing?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Waterslide Industry Lobbyist posted:

Before I go bug the sneaker thread does anyone here know what shoes the puncher in this photo is wearing?

Nike Pegasus 32. Arguably the best all-around running shoe.

Waterslide Industry Lobbyist
Jun 18, 2003

ANYONE WANT SOME BARBECUE?

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Yeah, I figured I was overreacting, but I needed a new wallet anyway.