Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Apollo posted:

Thank you for the explanations. :tipshat:

Now that you mention it, I wonder how did the Blue and Red suit got into the ship in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EblN0jZ1MVY

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Now there's a deleted scene that makes you glad it wasn't in the movie. Not that the rest of the movie was particularly above that sort of thing.

God I wish Thor would actually adapt stuff like Simonson's or JMS's tone and feel instead of whatever awful mess the first two were and Taika's Comedy hour which, while entertaining, might as well have been its own original thing instead of wasting some fantastic source material.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

"obsessing on my gamma ray experiments" is certainly one way of saying "fighting to the death as the Hulk versus my father, a giant psychosexual cloud."

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s all about Goldblum having sex with tentacles fam

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

yeesh, that's an awkward scene, glad that didn't make the cut.

Jutsuka
Jun 5, 2011

I'm gonna use the Superman suit discussion as an excuse to cross-post this here:

Jutsuka posted:

You'll have to excuse the image quality. it's a quick n' dirty job with some pictures I found on twitter.

I call it 'Two Directors: A Contrast.'

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Yikes, yeah, that looks like a video game.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Jutsuka posted:

I'm gonna use the Superman suit discussion as an excuse to cross-post this here:
Triggered so hard. I hate hate hate that opening JL scene so much. Everything wrong with dc in two minutes.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hey Superman what do you like about Earth?

(things real hard for several seconds... smirks, flies away)

Finally an inspiring uplifting Superman!

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

The opening is especially jarring because it is so completely differently shot, written, and acted from the style that was set up in MoS and BvS. Good or ill, that Superman was an established character with a specific voice. The first impression is so different it almost feels like it would have been less noticeable if they just had entirely recast the role. Given how much fretting the studio went through to make everybody happy (while ultimately making nobody happy), part of me is almost surprised they didn’t.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I think the bigger question is why did we get a weakling like Steppenwolf as the villain, when they could have used whoever broke Superman's jaw

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

NTRabbit posted:

I think the bigger question is why did we get a weakling like Steppenwolf as the villain, when they could have used whoever broke Superman's jaw

You'd think Kalibak, Darkseid's son would have been a better villain.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Now that you mention it, I wonder how did the Blue and Red suit got into the ship in the first place.
Thats where he got the suit from in MoS isn’t it? I guess the ship made extra copies just in case and also in different colors.

teagone posted:

[edit] Additionally, the one time we saw Clark clad in a black suit was during his history lesson with Zod in MoS, where he wrestled over the idea of joining Zod in rebuilding a new Krypton on Earth, killing everyone in the process. The black suit represents the idea of rejecting mankind.
I just realized that scene is similar to the scene in WW where Ares is asking Diana to join him in ridding the earth of humans.

Jutsuka posted:

When I saw JL in the theatre I honestly thought he was supposed to a Superman impersonator.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Feb 14, 2018

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Mr. Apollo posted:

Thats where he got the suit from in MoS isn’t it? I guess the ship made extra copies just in case and also in different colors.

*Batman furiously scribbling notes*

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I saw Black Panther today. First Marvel Studios film to actually bore me. Utterly predictable plot. T'Challa is the most boring lead we've had so far. Yes, even more boring than Steve Rogers. His little sister is annoying. Also the themes of racial injustices are handled really ham-fistedly. The villain has the most idiotic plan ever: He wants to distribute vibranium weapons to all the black people in the world so they can overthrow the evil white governments. I'm not kidding. Worst crime is that they kill off Ulysses Klaw midway, even though Andy Serkis steals every scene he's in.

Kurzon fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 14, 2018

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Kurzon posted:

I saw Black Panther today. First Marvel Studios film to actually bore me. Utterly predictable plot.

I'm not saying you're wrong, because hell, I haven't seen the movie. But this was the first one to bore you? Thor 2, Iron Man 2, both of those you found exciting, but this is what bored you? Avengers 2?

...looking back at my post, and drat, do the first sequels to these Marvel movies tend to suck. Not always, but it really feels like the worst of the bunch are all first sequels.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Dr Strange was the last Marvel movies to bore me and I haven't seen any since unless it was on a plane

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

thrawn527 posted:

I'm not saying you're wrong, because hell, I haven't seen the movie. But this was the first one to bore you? Thor 2, Iron Man 2, both of those you found exciting, but this is what bored you? Avengers 2?

...looking back at my post, and drat, do the first sequels to these Marvel movies tend to suck. Not always, but it really feels like the worst of the bunch are all first sequels.
Yeah I'm serious. There's no accounting for taste, but for my part I enjoyed every Marvel Studios film up until Black Panther. Yes, I liked Iron Man 2, despite its warts, maybe because I can't get enough of Tony Stark. Thor: The Dark World had an unpredictable plot and some fun fight scenes. Doctor Strange was as predictable as Black Panther, but Cumberbatch's charm made up for that. This was the first Marvel movie I walked out of saying "meh".

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Kurzon posted:

I saw Black Panther today. First Marvel Studios film to actually bore me. Utterly predictable plot. T'Challa is the most boring lead we've had so far. Yes, even more boring than Steve Rogers. His little sister is annoying. Also the themes of racial injustices are handled really ham-fistedly. The villain has the most idiotic plan ever: He wants to distribute vibranium weapons to all the black people in the world so they can overthrow the evil white governments. I'm not kidding. Worst crime is that they kill off Ulysses Klaw midway, even though Andy Serkis steals every scene he's in.

That sounds like yet another Marvel villain that's 100% correct who's thwarted by the hero for some unknown reason.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Black Panther thinks that all the black people of the world see each others as brothers and will cooperate with each other to overthrow Whitey if they just had a few vibranium spears.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Speaking of Michael B. Jordan, I just learned yesterday that he was one of the couch kids in The Wire.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BiggerBoat posted:

Speaking of Michael B. Jordan, I just learned yesterday that he was one of the couch kids in The Wire.

What the hell man.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

BiggerBoat posted:

What else would you know him from?

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Kurzon posted:

Black Panther thinks that all the black people of the world see each others as brothers and will cooperate with each other to overthrow Whitey if they just had a few vibranium spears.

Thats what the villain thinks. You're not supposed to side with him.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

BiggerBoat posted:

someone tell D'Angelo where Wallace is at

Also wasn't he Johnny Storm in the ill-fated Fantastic Four?

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Kurzon posted:

Why is he the villain??

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That sounds like yet another Marvel villain that's 100% correct who's thwarted by the hero for some unknown reason.

Getting some serious Bioshock Infinite vibes from that. "It's best to keep the status quo cuz the revolutionaries, who are primarily made up of people of color, are as violent and terrible as their white, racist oppressors!" The centrist "both sides" poo poo. I swear I'm becoming a curmudgeonly old man when it comes to the politics of blockbuster films. Probably because this sort of line of thinking makes up #TheResistance.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I guess now we know why the revolution won’t be televised.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

sassassin posted:

Friday Night Lights

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

DeafNote posted:

Thats what the villain thinks. You're not supposed to side with him.

We're not supposed to want to overthrow whitey?

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Jimbot posted:

Getting some serious Bioshock Infinite vibes from that. "It's best to keep the status quo cuz the revolutionaries, who are primarily made up of people of color, are as violent and terrible as their white, racist oppressors!" The centrist "both sides" poo poo. I swear I'm becoming a curmudgeonly old man when it comes to the politics of blockbuster films. Probably because this sort of line of thinking makes up #TheResistance.

Nah the movie was not about keeping the status quo.
Keeping the status quo was decisively shown to be a bad thing and at the end of the movie there is a status change.
It was more the 'violent overthrowing' that BP had a problem with, not with outreaching to other countries.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

DeafNote posted:

It was more the 'violent overthrowing' that BP had a problem with, not with outreaching to other countries.
Girl, get you a CIA that can do both.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Sounds like it's advocating for a Non-Militant Black Panther Party for Self-Defense.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Ghosthotel posted:

Why is he the villain??
You know, I notice that Thor and Iron Man primarily act to defend their own status; saving innocent lives is secondary. In the Iron Man movies, Stark is defending himself from rival businessmen who want to steal his company or his glory or whatever. The villains' also are hurting some innocent people in the process, so Tony is doing some good on top of saving his own rear end. In Thor, Thor fights to reclaim his status from Loki, who only threatens innocents when for some reason he decides to send that metal golem to blow up that small desert town. The truest heroes of the MCU are Captain America, Spider-Man, and the Guardians of the Galaxy. These all come from lowly backgrounds. They have no high status to defend.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Halloween Jack posted:

Girl, get you a CIA that can do both.

If they always come with Martin Freeman, sure.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Iron Man 2 makes Tony the villain to a degree that there's just no subtlety to it, nor any sort of oppositional reading required.

Serf
May 5, 2011

tony stark's whole deal is that one of his weapons inconvenienced him and he suddenly realized that actual people get blown up by his poo poo all the time and so he does a good thing in shutting it all down, but then builds a weapon just for himself because he thinks that only responsible people (him) can be trusted with it. he revels in his infinite wealth and literally wears it as armor and rather than spend that money improving the material conditions of the people he claims he wants to help he spends it on more suits of armor so he can punch space aliens that are only here because of his dad

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

sassassin posted:

Chronicle or Creed? The Wire is a critical darling, but not a lot of people have seen it (or only know about it through cultural osmosis).

Neo Rasa posted:

It'd be just like the character Backfire, literally the only good thing to come out of Savage Dragon.

Uh, sounds like someone doesn't appreciate the genius that went into the character Dung...

All joking aside, it's kinda crazy to me that I've been reading that book for a little over half of my life, and since the characters "age" in real time, I got to see Dragon's son "grow up" and start his own family in the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Also technically the villain of this movie was created by the actions of the hero's father
Again.