Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

lol if you read D&D and not C-SPAM

LOL if you read D&D or C-SPAM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

lol just lol

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I just sent in a 980ti Hybrid back to EVGA. Any bets as to what they'll give me in return? I did send them a note saying that while yes I'm running 2 980ti's in SLI I'd actually prefer a 1080 back or I'll pay the difference to a 1080ti. Fingers crossed. A friend sent back a non-hybrid 980ti and they sent him a 1080 so I'm just hoping they aren't bothering with refurbing the hybrids anymore.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

redeyes posted:

They named the compute card Ampere and the gaming card Turing. Makes perfect sense.

Turing because a sufficiently advanced AI would enjoy pwning noobs

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol if you're not in YOSPOS

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Hoping this means the card doesn't fail to work with others, is castrated, and then commits suicide.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
so no SLI, removed mining ability and running unsigned bios bricks the card.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Feb 14, 2018

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Man things got dark pretty fast.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Lockback posted:

You'll probably be fine if 60 is your target, though a 1070 would be a better choice. My brother has basically your exact setup though in 1080p and usually gets in the 80s on high settings.
Even my 1070 starts to choke in some games like rear end Creed at 1080p though that's on high and i5-2500 which might have something to do with it. At this point though I'd just suck it up and wait for Ampere/Turing whatever, for the same price you'd probably get 1080-level performance.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
gently caress it I am just going to keep the 1070Ti. Honestly I don't see them launching cards any cards less than $600 anyways. If I am wrong and a Turing 2070 launches at $399 with 30% more performance than my 1070Ti, oh well.

Should be a big step up from my 7870TE. Actually the GTX 1060 6GB I had before was mildly disappointing, about 60-80% faster than my TE which is surprising considering it's basically an overclocked, gimped 7950 from 6 years ago. At least the 1070Ti should be a full 100% faster.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

I not putting it past nVidia to sandbag this generation and just improve power consumption and performance per watt or something. What's the competition going to do? Mine them to 1st place?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
There are worse things in life than improving power consumption and performance-per-watt. I mean, just look at Intel's 5 - 10% perf bump YOY for the past goddamn who knows how long.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
I'd love to gently caress around with Tensor cores, but their consumer cards probably won't even have them. I wonder if there are private Tensor mining algos out there using Amazon p3 instances to mine.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

SwissArmyDruid posted:

There are worse things in life than improving power consumption and performance-per-watt. I mean, just look at Intel's 5 - 10% perf bump YOY for the past goddamn who knows how long.

I think it's more like 1-5%

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I mean we're long overdue for a refresh, and I've been convinced that Pascal limited hard by Nvidia and has plenty of headroom for a total rebrand. I do trust them quite a bit more to do rebrands right though, and its hardly a bad thing if thats the case. Just for the past ...2-3+ years Nvidia hasn't been rebranding anything and AMD has been rebranding everything in the worst way possible so in case anybody doesnt know it was customary there for a little while where if you rebrand a lineup you move the previous generations model numbers down the line. Though there were plenty of exceptions or "almost kinda" to that, but a rough example would be like a GTX 670 would be similar to the GTX 760. Then AMD threw all that poo poo out the window when they rebranded most of the 200 series into the 300 series and then never stopped being lame about that.

Maybe AMD has re-set this precedence, to be fair even longer ago this was nothing new, so even a bumping of clockspeeds for straight model to model rebrands is possible. But that is the worst case scenario and there really isn't any indication that will happen.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
NV can just take Pascal and do a dumb shrink on 10nm with more coars + undervolt treatment and still come out with scary perf/W numbers.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
Can someone explain to me, In pleb terms, why you can't mix Nvidia GPUs with AMD GPus in the same computer (Not running SLI).

I had a friend ask me but I honestly don't know enough about windows drivers and backend to explain why I think it would never work.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Can someone explain to me, In pleb terms, why you can't mix Nvidia GPUs with AMD GPus in the same computer (Not running SLI).

I had a friend ask me but I honestly don't know enough about windows drivers and backend to explain why I think it would never work.

There's nothing technically stopping you from doing it, it's just mostly pointless because barely any software can do anything useful with an AMD+NV configuration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrpTwUJTVCQ

...unless you really like playing Ashes of the Singularity I guess.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

TipsyMcStagger posted:

I'd assume you'd have driver headaches since usually those aren't designed to work together in the OS, but what is your use case for that? Crypto mining would be the only thing that might work and I wouldn't be surprised if the mining software wasn't well designed to handle that.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
It actually does work, on windows 10 anyway. I could be playing a game on one card while mining on the other.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

Finally, a graphics card as gay as me.

But will it be as hot?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Wistful of Dollars posted:

But will it be as hot?

Now I wonder if the cards will run Turing Hot or Benedict Cumberbatch as Turing Hot.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

TipsyMcStagger posted:

because if nvidia driver detects an amd gpu in your pc, it will purposefully gut some functionality.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Windows 10 does indeed handle GPU switching wat better than the past. I run into this fairly often at work. Of course the most common thing is switching from igpu and dgpu but AMD and Nvidia seemingly works just as well. There used to be no point at all but as Alpha Mayo said there are now scenarios where its desirable.

As far as conflicts I have no idea my experiences with it are all not gaming related

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Alpha Mayo posted:

I'd love to gently caress around with Tensor cores, but their consumer cards probably won't even have them. I wonder if there are private Tensor mining algos out there using Amazon p3 instances to mine.

there are no algorithms that need mixed-precision matrix math

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Truga posted:

because if nvidia driver detects an amd gpu in your pc, it will purposefully gut some functionality.

You mean PhysX right? They removed that arbitrary limitation around 2016, you can render on an AMD GPU while physics-ing on an Nvidia GPU if you really want to.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Paul MaudDib posted:

there are no algorithms that need mixed-precision matrix math

I get the feeling like tensor cores are the new FP64, where no home user actually uses it, they just post about using it to look smart.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Having a really weird issue where the Nvidia drivers keep changing the "Content type reported to the display" setting to Auto-Select after every restart. I need it kept at Desktop Programs because auto-select causes black flashing when loading videos and then the desktop looks ugly and fuzzy forever after (this is probably because I use an old HDTV as a display instead of a real monitor, but anyhow.)

This wasn't happening until the "Spectre fix" drivers.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

"leak" circulating around the net today:

for reference, a Titan Xp has 3840 CUDA cores, 1080 Ti has 3584, and Volta/Titan V has 5120

e: if we assume that 18Gbps ram is on a 384bit bus, we are looking at 864GB/s of bandwidth. Titan Xp has 547, Titan V has 652 (but its HBM)

to clarify this is probably horseshit, but fun to theorycraft

Cygni fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 14, 2018

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Irresponsible amounts of repeated taglines.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Don't drink and game irresponsibly (tm)

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Cygni posted:

"leak" circulating around the net today:

for reference, a Titan Xp has 3840 CUDA cores, 1080 Ti has 3584, and Volta/Titan V has 5120

e: if we assume that 18Gbps ram is on a 384bit bus, we are looking at 864GB/s of bandwidth. Titan Xp has 547, Titan V has 652 (but its HBM)

to clarify this is probably horseshit, but fun to theorycraft

FE 2080 for $999 then?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

fabricated and homosexual

4480 CUDA cores at 2.0ghz would be nearly 18 TFLOPS, not 15.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Refers to Ampere, not Turing

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Those are some Titan XYZ numbers there. No way it's real.

If it is no gamer will ever be able to purchase one.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

PerrineClostermann posted:

Refers to Ampere, not Turing

to be fair, wasnt that leak was a dude posting on reddit? our desperation for graphics cards has reached considerable lows.

unrelated, but I still think its unlikely that Nvidia will launch a 18Gbps GDDR6+384bit bus off the bat

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Cygni posted:

to be fair, wasnt that leak was a dude posting on reddit? our desperation for graphics cards has reached considerable lows.

The Turing rumour originated from Reuters: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...f-idUSKBN1FT2AW

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Apparently there's thought that Turing will replace Volta in the compute market, and Ampere will be the mass market.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Zero VGS posted:

Now I wonder if the cards will run Turing Hot or Benedict Cumberbatch as Turing Hot.

guessing it won't support Apple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

PerrineClostermann posted:

Apparently there's thought that Turing will replace Volta in the compute market, and Ampere will be the mass market.

that one is even more fabricated and homosexual. Volta is only 8 months old.