Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

gradenko_2000 posted:

Imperial Japan and Nazi Germany were geared for total war - these "civilians" turned in their neighbors, politely watched genocide happen in their midst, and used their labor to advance the goals of their governments. At the very, very, very least, some people were hostages, but for the vast majority, there is no distinction, and the killing of fascists is an unambiguous moral good.

whenever someone starts putting civilians in quotes is when maybe they should take a step back and think about things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

whenever someone starts putting civilians in quotes is when maybe they should take a step back and think about things

Vlonald Prump
Aug 28, 2011

Here in America, you grab them by pussy. In old country, pussy grab you!!
Buglord
US "Civilians" who stand by and allow their government to plunder the Middle East deserve whatever happens to them. Allahu Akbar *flies plane into building*

Vlonald Prump
Aug 28, 2011

Here in America, you grab them by pussy. In old country, pussy grab you!!
Buglord
unironic hot take: nuking Japan saved more lives in the long run by demonstrating that actually nuclear weapons are terrifying, and probably prevented them from actually being hauled out during the Cuban Missile Crisis and starting WW3 or later in 'Nam when people like Curtis LeMay were chomping at the bit to use them

instead of everyone dying in 1962, we all got to live until next week! OK I'm an optimist

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
My meaningless armchair general take is that they should have used the nuke but could have chosen a less jugular target.
Drop first bomb onto some major port and wipe out some fleet. Immediately say "We've got many of those and all these [cities] are eligible to getting the next one if you don't surrender".
If they wouldn't surrender at that point, nuke one of the actual cities with the second bomb. Repeat the message from last time.

I really don't think they'd be more likely to see through the bluff, and I'm still fairly convinced there's a good chance they'd surrender after the first one (they knew they were hosed even without nukes). If it was after the second one, it'd still be with dead people.

Similarly with Dresden I think it would have been fair to do a minor bombing accompanied with "whoever stays in the city gonna loving die over the course of next week" leaflet drop. The potential military damage casualties expected were minimal, and so was any actual chance to put up actual defense in time. It was about removing the city off the map, and nothing could have stopped it. That's why I think the only way to defend it as "humane" would have been to give a warning and opportunity for the civilians to get the hell outta dodge.

I think that the most important moral to take from these is that when wars happen, innocent people do die, and that we should first and foremost prevent any further wars rather than worry about which infallible, untouchable was meanest in the last one. Winners don't get called war criminals anyway, with exception of little local balkanized struggles and proxy wars.

Teal fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Feb 14, 2018

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
hiroshima was a major military port city, if they had wanted to kill as many citizens as possible, the us would have dropped in on tokyo. the reason it wasn't used on an open field or whatever, is because there's no guarantee that the japanese would be convinced the weapon was 'the real deal', ie not some elaborate deception, and these things were expensive.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

rudatron posted:

and these things were expensive.

doomsday :capitalism:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think the U.S. military at the time understood the significance of the atomic bomb beyond "it's like the other bombs we've been dropping, except much bigger and bettererer"

That's my hot take.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/Phil_Mattingly/status/963721767490654208

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
"you have the nerve to come here and tell me "civilians" not being killed by "war crimes" is a "human right"? then i will tell you you are a stupid motherfucker," duterte was reported to say.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
now that's some doomsday econ

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

read that as increased from 193 billion to 13 trillion and my head spun around like the exorcist

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oustanding means the squiggly money line will keep going up only right?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Yep, all that debt is outstanding. Tremendous, tremendous debt. AAA rated, believe me folks.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Le reddit LateStageCapitalism posted:

Charged $39.35 to hold your own baby

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

rudatron posted:

hiroshima was a major military port city, if they had wanted to kill as many citizens as possible, the us would have dropped in on tokyo. the reason it wasn't used on an open field or whatever, is because there's no guarantee that the japanese would be convinced the weapon was 'the real deal', ie not some elaborate deception, and these things were expensive.

Tokyo was already pretty flattened from firebombing. choosing Hiroshima and Nagasaki was some “dantooine is too remote for an effective demonstration” poo poo

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

I've got a solution.

Shift conversation to Nazi economics.

im reading tooze's wages of destruction now, it's a good read but man the economic poo poo is going over my head

nah
Mar 16, 2009

this poor lady had 79 c-section deliveries. that's a lot of babies

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Japan was justified in attacking USA in response to economic blockades intended to starve them to death

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

Japan was justified in attacking USA in response to economic blockades intended to starve them to death

:getout:

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

mastershakeman posted:

Galaxy Brain: The US did this to bait an attack to justify war

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
third party economic sanctions or embargos are a justified response to a country engaging in a war of aggression, and they weren't 'blockades'

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

this is loving disgusting

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

rudatron posted:

third party economic sanctions or embargos are a justified response to a country engaging in a war of aggression, and they weren't 'blockades'

That's interesting because my refusal to buy a sodastream apparently means I'm an anti-semite, and pointing out that Palestinians are a Semitic people as well means I am whatever the powered up Goku version of an anti-semite is

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

mastershakeman posted:

Ok Shinzo.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Epic High Five posted:

I am whatever the powered up Goku version of an anti-semite is

Kekarot

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

to be fair 'palestinians are semites too' is the worst kind of dumb pedantry

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

They are not taking the inflation data well

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
the nuclear attacks on Japan were barbarous acts of cruelty primarily designed to intimidate the USSR.

Japan in 1944 was an island nation so overextended by it's stupid wars that it was forcing conscripts to crash it's last remaining planes into the nearest boat in autophagic desperation.

the premise that it was "necessary" to vaporize a couple hundred thousand civilians with experimental weapons to stop this irrepressible juggernaut is propaganda that beguiles idiots to this day.

Digiwizzard fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Feb 14, 2018

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

hot take: the nuking of japan doesn't matter anymore

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
nuclear hot take:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzLT6_TQmq8

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well if we're talking about nuking Japan post anime then I want to be clear my stance is lot less pacifist inclined

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
why would you nuke something extremely good??

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Truga posted:

why would you nuke something extremely good??

I mean, after getting nuked once they came up with anime, imagine how amazing will it be after the second time

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

I mean, OK, it's also christmastime and the population is growing slightly etc so a 1.5% increase doesn't exactly sate my lust for death here

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Digiwizzard posted:

the nuclear attacks on Japan were barbarous acts of cruelty primarily designed to intimidate the USSR.

Japan in 1944 was an island nation so overextended by it's stupid wars that it was forcing conscripts to crash it's last remaining planes into the nearest boat in autophagic desperation.

the premise that it was "necessary" to vaporize a couple hundred thousand civilians with experimental weapons to stop this irrepressible juggernaut is propaganda that beguiles idiots to this day.

:ok:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Zokari posted:

read that as increased from 193 billion to 13 trillion and my head spun around like the exorcist

same

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Zokari posted:

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Lawman 0 posted:

tminz posted:

CPI data much excite

:eyepop:

but

shrike82 posted:

lamo at the scales - both x and y

:eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Lawman 0 posted:

burn baby burn