Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

BurlapNapkin posted:

Expanding Xenos out into factions is certainly one way to go, I just somewhat doubt that they can actually spare the time and effort that could be making another exciting subfaction of the Imperium. Obviously I would personally like 40k a lot more if they did, but it's very contrary to their usual efforts.

It may not even be up to them, if they have trouble selling enough Kroot and Orks to justify the development costs.

I think a more realistic way to solve this might be on the rules end. Better organization, the ability to centrally update everyone's rules, and those updates coming pretty regularly... Even this seems like a bit of a stretch, but I'd beleive free online rules with a more active design team before I would a massive ammount of model and rulebook support for Xenos.

I don't thinks its necessarily outside the scope of what GW has been doing lately to expand the Xenos factions. On the AoS side of things they already are doing something similar where everything is focused into four overarching factions and then are further divided into subfactions. Hell the keyword system was originally built with this in mind.

Much like AoS though Order/The Imperium and Chaos will get the most while Death and Destruction (or in this case Tyranids, Eldar, Orks, Necrons and Tau) while have less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Booyah- posted:

This is awesome btw, looking forward to the next installments.

Thanks m8! I've been thinking about it a lot, and a lot of it is already out there on various forums so I can't take credit for it all

kommisar
Jan 2, 2007

Booyah- posted:

I'm not sure I understand how people are getting multiple CP reclamation items into one list. Since they are relics can't you only take the one from the faction your warlord belongs to?

Using the “Armoury of _____” strategem that having the detachment gives you access to to take the relic (aquila)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Booyah- posted:

I'm not sure I understand how people are getting multiple CP reclamation items into one list. Since they are relics can't you only take the one from the faction your warlord belongs to?

Your free relic comes from the Warlord faction. You can use the relic stratagem to get them for your other detachments.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Someone who co-founded League of Legends was watching, and they were impressed with his sportsmanship and gave him a $5000 sportsmanship prize. He donated it to charity and it was matched by his employer and now GW.
I'm not having a go at people giving money for whatever reason (as stated). I I'm just trying to figure out why him carrying on with a game he spent an hour setting up is apparently such a noteworthy and praiseworthy example of over the top sportsmanship that people are motivated by it. Because it seems like a run of the mill everyday gaming scenario to me. It feels a bit like if loads of people donated £20,000 to the RSPCA because he gave his opponent a swig from his canteen or let them reroll a D6, y'know?
[/quote]

The difference is the one guy was being a colossal dick.

And then karma totally dicked him back in a later round of the tournament.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Artum posted:

I'm inclined to stop taking adept of the codex but its less out of fairness and more because I'm so loving tired of a single assault terminator getting to swing at my captain, hitting twice, wounding twice, and me failing both 3++s.

t5 7 wounds 3+3++6+++ bring it motherfuckers.

Ah I found your mistake! You’re getting stuck in with Assault Terminators. Or use the Shield Eternal.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
I took some time this weekend to finally get some good rowdy boys finished. Chaos Terminator Lord and Nurgle Bell Guy:

They still need some fine detail work - especially the seam on the Bell Guy's curvy arm and the pudgy rough draft of his staff. But, I'm happy enough with them to put them in the 'I'll get back to you' pile and move on to some more troops and junk.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Uroboros posted:

Ah I found your mistake! You’re getting stuck in with Assault Terminators.

To be fair it's typically when I'm on my last legs anyway.

Last time it happened was honestly more that I'd wasted my aggressors since I've already learnt to use them to guard my chapter master.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
This is from a ways back, but someone mentioned that Hellblasters would overheat on a 2 when shooting a Flyrant and I'm having a hard time figuring out why. The Flyrant doesn't have Hard to Hit so it wouldn't impose a -1 penalty to hit against it, so I think I must be missing something.

BurlapNapkin
Feb 11, 2013

PantsOptional posted:

This is from a ways back, but someone mentioned that Hellblasters would overheat on a 2 when shooting a Flyrant and I'm having a hard time figuring out why. The Flyrant doesn't have Hard to Hit so it wouldn't impose a -1 penalty to hit against it, so I think I must be missing something.

Malanthrope Aura, or possibly they have a mutation that causes the spore cloud effect that they can buy?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

PantsOptional posted:

BurlapNapkin posted:

Malanthrope Aura, or possibly they have a mutation that causes the spore cloud effect that they can buy?

Kraken can take a -1 to hit from ranged weapons as a relic, though I wouldnt be surprised if it was just people forgetting that fly and hard to hit aren't mutual as often happens.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Artum posted:

Kraken can take a -1 to hit from ranged weapons as a relic, though I wouldnt be surprised if it was just people forgetting that fly and hard to hit aren't mutual as often happens.

The latter was my assumption but seeing as how I’ll be putting these bugs on the table for real pretty soon I figured I’d make sure I wasn’t missing anything that would keep my big boi alive.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Next two units for my growing Rainbow Warriors force for Adepticon! Two units of five Intercessors with a converted underslung grenade launcher each.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I dont think sculpting is a huge deal for GW, and they've solved the issue of demand production quite a while ago with Forgeworld. They could probably push out a Kroot/Vespid army pretty easily.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Harkano posted:

We actually had something come up in a game recently, and I couldn't find a consensus on other forums. How does Steel Behemoth interact with firing Overwatch while engaged by other units?

We rolled off for it, since it basically decided the game (whether the Shadowsword got to shoot my friend's Flyrant and my Ghaz, while it was engaged by 2 dozens boyz and gaunts).

That's a tough one. The Overwatch rule says a unit cannot fire its weapons in overwatch if it is within 1" of an enemy. Then Steel Behemoth goes and says that the tank can fire its weapons while within 1" of an enemy, with no restrictions for phase. I think a roll off is a fine way to decide it, but either way could be argued, I suppose. I had not thought about this. There's nothing about it in the FAQ. What say you, goons?

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Next two units for my growing Rainbow Warriors force for Adepticon! Two units of five Intercessors with a converted underslung grenade launcher each.

Your rainbow dash marines look fantastic. How are you so fast?!

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

A pony's gotta do what a pony's gotta do.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Neurolimal posted:

I dont think sculpting is a huge deal for GW, and they've solved the issue of demand production quite a while ago with Forgeworld. They could probably push out a Kroot/Vespid army pretty easily.

Not to mention, it's an established part of the fluff that Tau are fine with recruiting humans from conquered worlds to fight in their armies. Sell a Gue'vesa conversion kit alongside your Genestealer Cult conversion kit, and congratulations your imperial guard line got even more sales.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

The Sex Cannon posted:

That's a tough one. The Overwatch rule says a unit cannot fire its weapons in overwatch if it is within 1" of an enemy. Then Steel Behemoth goes and says that the tank can fire its weapons while within 1" of an enemy, with no restrictions for phase. I think a roll off is a fine way to decide it, but either way could be argued, I suppose. I had not thought about this. There's nothing about it in the FAQ. What say you, goons?

Using one of my 2 posts a year in this thread because this one seemed obvious to me:

The BRB states that specific rules > general rules.

The overwatch rule is a general rule that is given exception by the specific Steel Behemoth rule on the Baneblade chassis tanks.

Since iirc overwatch is taken before the charging models move, you can fire all of your weapons at charging units (since to charge they must be more than 1” away before declaring). If they are more than 8” away before they charge, the heavy flamers will not be able to reach the charging models during overwatch and will automatically miss.

e: also remember that after the opponent’s charge and attacks, the baneblade attacks back 9/6/3 times at s9 ap-2 d3 damage.

koreban fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Feb 14, 2018

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

quote:

I'm not having a go at people giving money for whatever reason (as stated). I I'm just trying to figure out why him carrying on with a game he spent an hour setting up is apparently such a noteworthy and praiseworthy example of over the top sportsmanship that people are motivated by it. Because it seems like a run of the mill everyday gaming scenario to me. It feels a bit like if loads of people donated £20,000 to the RSPCA because he gave his opponent a swig from his canteen or let them reroll a D6, y'know?

Turnip Jedi 750827 9834320 56d8f18c9534582d5c416b0dd57ef199.jpg posted:

sportsmanship is an odd beast, and whilst the donation to charity is undeniably a good thing its a bit spinny of GW to try and claim this as a win.

I'd be hella wary of introducing any reward system for 'sportsmanship' due to the potential for shenanigans, honesty and integrity should be the baseline behaviour for gaming but as we all know once a prize, however insignificant is on the table it brings out the cockwomble in a select few

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Legio Harrideaux, "The Cockwombles"

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Neurolimal posted:

This is patently untrue. The release of 8th and its subsequent popularity gave them massive production issues - they couldn't keep up with demand. Iirc at least part of it is due to the electrical capacity in Nottingham being poo poo, although I don't know the whole detail of that.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

MasterSlowPoke posted:

[/quote]

I'd love to see a ton of competitive players all doing their damnedest to be the most courteous and gentlemanly to try and win a cash prize.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Corrode posted:

This is patently untrue. The release of 8th and its subsequent popularity gave them massive production issues - they couldn't keep up with demand. Iirc at least part of it is due to the electrical capacity in Nottingham being poo poo, although I don't know the whole detail of that.

Well that's an issue in the opposite direction; I meant that they can release niche stuff without worrying about unsold stock.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Corrode posted:

It's been said before, but I just love that as soon as GW started to change for the better, people want to buy more of their stuff than they can actually handle.
:allears:

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Corrode posted:

I'd love to see a ton of competitive players all doing their damnedest to be the most courteous and gentlemanly to try and win a cash prize.

The politeness meta is gonna be pretty cut throat for sure.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

Corrode posted:

Nottingham resident who has been involved in this issue here!

In short, GW bought two lovely new machines for making lovely new plastics on, only to discover that the local power grid couldn't support them running. So it's now stuck with the local council, who want GW to pay for an infrastructure upgrade, and GW who don't and are saying they'd leave if the council didn't pay for it. Unfortunately a) that's obviously untrue, and b) the council doesn't have any money.

Meanwhile, we're stuck with a strangled supply of toy soldiers.

As to sculptors, they've actually had to start up a full apprenticeship scheme because they literally can't find enough people up to scratch. I know it's a real bugbear at the moment, worsened by the GW design process (miniatures first, so basically the design team picks what it works on and everyone else has to deal with it).

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Those are fantastic..

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Nifara posted:

In short, GW bought two lovely new machines for making lovely new plastics on, only to discover that the local power grid couldn't support them running. So it's now stuck with the local council, who want GW to pay for an infrastructure upgrade, and GW who don't and are saying they'd leave if the council didn't pay for it. Unfortunately a) that's obviously untrue, and b) the council doesn't have any money.

As to sculptors, they've actually had to start up a full apprenticeship scheme because they literally can't find enough people up to scratch. I know it's a real bugbear at the moment, worsened by the GW design process (miniatures first, so basically the design team picks what it works on and everyone else has to deal with it).

In the USA it is common for a company to move for tax or infrastructure payments.

Out of curiosity how must does a sculptor make?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

That's fascinating. Plastic manufacture is really that power intensive?

I'm now envisaging vats of super-heated molten plastic and hearing this .

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

LifeLynx posted:

More and more I'm leaning my Tyranids towards shooting. People are starting to get better about bubble-wrapping and blocking charge lanes, so my Carnifexes and Genestealers have trouble reaching anything important. My Tyrannofex and Hive Guard (only three sadly, because it's hard to pull the trigger on a $70 box, plus they're out of stock) do most of the work in my list. They can shoot anything first turn with strength 8 or 10, and thanks to the ITC "lower floor of ruins block LoS" rule the Hive Guard have almost guaranteed three turns of shooting plus bonus shooting from my 2CP strategem that allows them to shoot again.

It's three months since the codex and I'm still shocked how effective Tyranid shooting is now. I tried out a pure Kronos list with 15 Hive Guard a couple weeks ago and it was nasty, tabling a pretty solid Chaos army in 3 turns. Single-Minded Annhilation plus an ample supply of mortal wounds lets you just straight up delete multiple units per turn with little risk. Then throw in the Tyranid ability to fill out detachments cheaply to maximise CP, Kronos psyker-denial, and ability to counter-attack drops in your deployment zone with Genestealers and you end up with a firebase to make most Tau and IG players jealous.

There's supposed to be a bunch of matched play points updates next month and I will put money on Hive Guard seeing a decent increase. There's a reason those $70 boxes are out of stock.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Ropes4u posted:

In the USA it is common for a company to move for tax or infrastructure

Extremely. Just look at all the groveling for Amazon to build a second headquarters for an extreme example. My county offered extreme tax breaks to a back ground check company to stay in the area if they would be willing to add more jobs, so they ending up paying way less taxes and only hired 400 people for entry level jobs (less than promised, and they got faster than the usual rate and not replaced for meeting quotas.)

Lord_Hambrose fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Feb 14, 2018

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I might be biased, having bought two of those boxes recently, but I think the cost of Hive Guard is pretty reasonable. 48 Points for one with an Impaler Cannon puts them more or less on par point for point with Tyrannofex/Exocrine shooting.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Nifara posted:

That's all very unfortunate and also very understandable.

I had a thought of "didn't anyone check infrastructure was capable of supporting industrial power requirements first?" but I have a suspicion the answer is "they're already in industrial zoning, the infrastructure is just antiquated" or something.

Maybe they can take over a disused Austin Princess factory or something.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

DancingShade posted:

I had a thought of "didn't anyone check infrastructure was capable of supporting industrial power requirements first?" but I have a suspicion the answer is "they're already in industrial zoning, the infrastructure is just antiquated" or something.

30 seconds on Google Street view suggest they are indeed in a warehousing and light manufacturing area, I suspect your "it's just antiquated", probably hits the nail on the head.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Nifara posted:

Nottingham resident

How does the local shire reeve fit into all this?

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

Entropy238 posted:

I might be biased, having bought two of those boxes recently, but I think the cost of Hive Guard is pretty reasonable. 48 Points for one with an Impaler Cannon puts them more or less on par point for point with Tyrannofex/Exocrine shooting.

The problem is that Single-Minded Annihilation wildly throws off the maths, and indirect firing + ignore cover is really, really good, especially in some tournament terrain setups.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

DancingShade posted:

That's all very unfortunate and also very understandable.

Maybe they can take over a disused Austin Princess factory or something.

Yeah basically they're on an industrial estate, but you have to remember a lot of infrastructure in the UK is way older than it would be in the US. The real problem is the loving arcane way that power infrastructure is managed. There's this thing called the National Grid, which used to be a public liability but got sold off in the early 90s. There are some requirements around that, but basically it comes down to them recouping costs and the processes for getting payments is mindbogglingly bureaucratic. Even if everyone was instantly on board and put money down right now, it'd be years before any of this stuff actually happened.

Deptfordx posted:

That's fascinating. Plastic manufacture is really that power intensive?

I'm now envisaging vats of super-heated molten plastic and hearing this .

I can't remember the exact numbers but it was high enough that the experts in the room at the council meeting were spluttering a bit. By all accounts it'd increase their output eightfold though, so these are BIG machines.

Ropes4u posted:

In the USA it is common for a company to move for tax or infrastructure payments.

Out of curiosity how must does a sculptor make?

It's less common in the UK for a variety of reasons, but does still happen. The problem is that GW isn't just an office building that can uproot and leave - they have manufacturing, packing, a visitor's centre, a store, corporate offices and all kinds of stuff on one enormous site. Plus, they get very favourable rates from the local council and a whole bunch of tax credits and rebates at the moment that they can't guarantee they'd get elsewhere. Even the GW folks in the meeting were keen to point out that they didn't' want to move if they could help it, which does weaken your bargaining position a little.

And as to salary, the answer is "not much". Basically most folks in GW are paid poo poo (knowing a whole lot of folks who work there or have worked there in the past, this seems to be across the business). The managers get paid pretty well, but the operational staff... do not. They count on rabid devotion to make up for pay packets, which is why so many folks eventually leave (and why Nottingham is flooded with competitor companies made up of former employees). One of my friends was a rules writer there and after four years, major releases under his belt that he managed directly from start to finish, and a great reputation, he managed to negotiate a pay increase... to £19k (about $26k). He left.

Apprentices tend to get paid a fuckton less. £13k is common ($18k).

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Is it insane to suggest that GW could just move their huge new injection moulding machines to a different location and keep the rest of their operation where it is? (Probably yes as this is business and I know gently caress all about their logistical chain, but if they are supposed to increase their output capacity by 800% you’d think it would be worth it.)

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Cainer posted:

The politeness meta is gonna be pretty cut throat for sure.

I could see people literally bribing their opponents with drinks and gifts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

ineptmule posted:

Is it insane to suggest that GW could just move their huge new injection moulding machines to a different location and keep the rest of their operation where it is? (Probably yes as this is business and I know gently caress all about their logistical chain, but if they are supposed to increase their output capacity by 800% you’d think it would be worth it.)

I doubt it would work considering how their supply chain is set up. Another part of the problem, I'm told, is there aren't many places where there is a suitable infrastructure for them. That said, the last I heard about any of this was end of last year so there could well be developments on that front.

I imagine they'll get them up and running at some point relatively soon - money will grease many palms. I can't for a moment imagine that the higher ups at GW aren't screaming constantly for this to get resolved, because it must be hampering their profits in an appalling fashion.