Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

tsob posted:

I thought the fox-skin could only transform Chise in to a fox? Is there a reason she can use it to transform in to a bear too?

It's the pelt of a werecreature, which according to the series' version of myths/lore, allows the wearer to transform into any beast depending on their need

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Uh oh, we're getting pretty close to where the manga's at. :ohdear:

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm a week behind due to lack of premium Crunchyroll, so I just watched episode 17. Elias's explanation for why he appeared to Ethan as a monochromatic Chise instead of his usual human disguise was a little cryptic. What do you guys make of it?

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

chise friend counter: 1 :ohdear:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Elias please do not tentacle hug your apprentice/wife/daughter/mom. :cthulhu:

Jenny Angel posted:

I'm a week behind due to lack of premium Crunchyroll, so I just watched episode 17. Elias's explanation for why he appeared to Ethan as a monochromatic Chise instead of his usual human disguise was a little cryptic. What do you guys make of it?
I guess he was so nonplussed at having to deal with a kid that he forgot to use his fake human face and went with the one he sees the most instead.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Feb 11, 2018

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Lindel doesn't gently caress around :stare:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Jenny Angel posted:

It's been a while since I read it and I don't watch the anime but iirc he picked Chise's face because Chise deals well with children and he doesn't (and I guess because he's an idiot he figures looking like the person will help him be the person)

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

AnonSpore posted:

It's been a while since I read it and I don't watch the anime but iirc he picked Chise's face because Chise deals well with children and he doesn't (and I guess because he's an idiot he figures looking like the person will help him be the person)

they get creeped out when his head is a goat skull, and they get creeped out when he appears as a obviously fake monochrome human

humans sure are picky

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Sindai posted:

Remember kids: never say anything you don't mean, or David Bowie Ashen Eyes will kidnap your annoying siblings.

Ashen Eyes is a real bro. He just toddles around giving everyone gifts, not his fault that you have trouble recognizing his tremendous charity through your weird human eyes.

I really like the way this series goes and how it gets pretty drat close to actual faerie folklore. It's a good bit on learning to love yourself, growing as a person, and relationships. I really dig the music they added but the animation and pacing isn't all that great so I think I like the comic better. Also I am definitely in the Lindel's song sucked camp.

cosmo321
Jan 6, 2011
My biggest issue with the song (and this happens a lot in anime anyway) is that it's too polished and processed. It's such a disconnect from the normal dialogue that it breaks the illusion that they are just supposed to be a person singing alone.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That's a very good description why it feels a bit weird.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I don’t read the manga. I thought the song was nice. I also think the animation and pacing are good. It’s a good anime.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

What the hell happened with this week's episode? It was just so...off in every aspect. The tone. The direction. The art. It was a complete mess.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Hyperbolic much? This thread is weirdly overly critical. The episode did feel a little off, but it was still good. The show in general is great, and not without criticisms, but you all freak out a little too much, imo.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
So, this is a super close adaptation of the manga, right? Because I'm starting to get tempted to find it and read ahead because drat these cliffhangers are starting to get to me hard.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
It's like 1 to 1. It pretty much never diverges even from panel layout, just sometimes composited in the opposite direction.

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
Maybe I'm just not hip to the jive.
I've read a bit of the manga and always thought it had rather strange pacing and tone. Serious threats manifest without any fanfare or sense of danger until they try to kill someone. The bit in the graveyard where Chise meets Ruth stands out. That creature appears and could just be one of those weird things she sees all the time until it tries to murder her. I think it fits the way the supernatural is depicted in this series, though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah the whole series is all about never fully trusting the fae and otherworldly, because they are, in every sense of the word, not human.

Except cool old dragons, because they're rad.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

unimportantguy posted:

So, this is a super close adaptation of the manga, right? Because I'm starting to get tempted to find it and read ahead because drat these cliffhangers are starting to get to me hard.

The manga may be at a worse cliffhanger now.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

OddObserver posted:

The manga may be at a worse cliffhanger now.

Yeah with there being only three episode left I'm especially worried where the anime's going to leave off... depending on how the next chapter goes, if they adapt everything remaining so far and then get input from Yamazaki as to how things go next, it could be a decent place to end things off... it could also easily be terrible and unsatisfying. :\

Also one thing about the previous episode I didn't like was they adapted it slightly differently to how it was in the manga. These two pages in particular (I suppose they might move this stuff to one of the future episodes so potential spoilers I guess).

https://i.imgur.com/LQYEl8k.png
https://i.imgur.com/gi3Jumj.png

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
With how close the manga feels like it is to ending it seems very likely they're aiming for the same ending.

Unfortunately to fit it in they've really started skipping through the material (they cut more than half the conversation with the witch, for example), so the pacing feels real weird.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 25, 2018

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I just recently started buying volumes of the manga and I'm glad I did. The art as expected is beautiful, and it gives a few more extra tidbits of information. It's sounding like as I get further that there are going to be more chunks that were omitted from the anime?

I also prefer how the manga refers to sorcerers as alchemists instead. It seems like a more fitting description of what they do.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Sindai posted:

With how close the manga feels like it is to ending it seems very likely they're aiming for the same ending.

Unfortunately to fit it in they've really started skipping through the material (they cut more than half the conversation with the witch, for example), so the pacing feels real weird.

I was about to say, this episode had a lot of janky feeling to it. Part of it is the repeated very brief cuts to the different "cute" style though; it really takes some dramatic scenes and robs them of the emotion for me.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Holy poo poo what an episode! That was really good.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I can't believe we're at the end of the show already.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
In this episode Chise learns magic creatures may be your friends, but that doesn't make them your friends' friends. :v:

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Chise also learns why clingy boyfriends are awful.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

that dinosaur can be a real rear end in a top hat sometimes

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Y'know, I watched this show in the right mood, and I think it's pretty drat good. I'd usually find it pretty lame that almost all threats are immediately dealt with. There is barely any tension. In this instance, though, it just makes the show relaxing. You know dog skull wizard won't let anything too bad happen, so it's easier to focus on Chise sorting out her life.

This thread's first five pages were really obnoxious to read, but also quite enlightening. I didn't even know "slave bride" was somehow considered an anime trope. The show really dealt with that bomb shell surprisingly well. Especially when the auction is shown again in a different context, and you actually get a sense of how horrible it is.

Watching anime Beauty and the Beast also made me realise that Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle and Porco Rosso are basically variations of the same premise.

Annointed posted:

Chise also learns why clingy boyfriends are awful.

It's good that Chise ditched him right then and there. I feel like she maybe shouldn't have immediately gone with the deranged cat murdering dragon kidnapper, though. Doesn't seem like much of an improvement.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Hey, he's got an immortality curse and she's got a mortality curse, surely all they have to do is mash the two together and they'll cancel each other out, right?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Sindai posted:

Hey, he's got an immortality curse and she's got a mortality curse, surely all they have to do is mash the two together and they'll cancel each other out, right?

Either that or it turns Chise into cursed goop. :shrug:

edit: Even with her three curses, Chise will never be as cursed as that dude called Adolf.

And More fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 6, 2018

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Hey Joseph, didn't kill any cats. He just convinced some other guy it would be a great idea.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
In this episode, Joseph realizes he hosed up.

Next episode passes the manga, very curious to see how it handles that considering how faithful it's been until now.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

This is getting too real.

Sindai posted:

At least now he gets the death he wishes for.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
:pwn: That eye scene made me flinch, yeesh.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

It's interesting to see how Joseph's dead eyes are in contrast to Chise's bright green eyes filled with life.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Sindai posted:

Next episode passes the manga, very curious to see how it handles that considering how faithful it's been until now.

Not quite. It still has to cover stuff with Elias it skipped over (I think, I forget the ordering in the manga but I'm pretty sure we see more of what he's up to before the stuff that was in this episode), as well as what was in the most recent chapter. So that'll probably be next episode, and then the last will hopefully have been corroborated with Yamazaki so as to not be poo poo.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I enjoyed the episode but as usual it felt like it went by too quick. I just hope the anime has a satisfying conclusion.

It would be nice if they adapted the short stories into another season but I can't imagine the show is all that popular. I'm just hoping the books themselves get translated.

Also the official anime page posted a picture of everybody in wedding attire and they better not be toying with my emotions.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Labes for days posted:

I can't imagine the show is all that popular. I'm just hoping the books themselves get translated.

From what I've read the show is doing decently well. Not gangbusters but far from a flop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
So is next week the conclusion? There was nothing in the NEP and you all said it’d be caught up with the manga.