Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

bawfuls posted:

If Texas' problem is too much wind energy then they should want to sell it to CA.

Except the grid in TX isn't really connected to the western interconnection (which is what Cali is on) (except for far, far west TX - El Paso and Van Horn, basically).

roomforthetuna posted:

So what do you do if you've used like 975kWh as the payment period end approaches? What do you do to waste power? Air conditioning with the door open? Electric heater outside? Mine some bitcoins?

Serious answer, I invite friends over to do laundry. I have a close friend who has 3 kids, and I don't directly pay for water (it's split up among the entire apartment complex) - she spends a solid 2 days here doing laundry every couple of weeks. I had to cut it back a bit over the winter, since I have electric heat (and came really close to going over the cutoff for any discounts on my plan).

Can't leave doors open, since I have an indoor-only cat. If having friends over to do laundry isn't enough, I crank the ac down to 55, or the heat up to 80. Property manager installed a brand new HVAC system last year though, even keeping it at 68 inside during the summer uses less than half the power that I'd use keeping it at 78 the year before.

Also keep my water heater set to "instant skin graft required if you even look at the faucet" temps during the summer. I have to turn it down in the winter because the drat thing just never shuts off during a cold snap (it's outside, WTF). No idea why it's outside.. only a small portion of my apartment complex is built like that (I think about half of my particular floorplan is like that, and I'm pretty sure it's only my floorplan... there's something insane like 25+ floorplans since this is a 800+ unit property that was originally multiple condo developments). If you look at my apartment's website, you can tell which units in my floorplan have the water heater inside based on "full size w/d connections" or "stackable w/d connections" - they just threw it in the laundry room where the washer would normally go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

See, now you're thinking nationally. I don't know that much about America, but I think it means "thinking pan-California" in California and "shoot that national thinker" in Texas.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
My power in Orange County, California on an EV charging plan is about $0.23/kWh after all fees/taxes are added in.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Lot of Model 3 reservation holders are pissed. Apparently they’re pushing out delivery dates again.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
Like, more than they did on Wednesday? Or the push that happened and was discussed on Wednesday?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

ilkhan posted:

Like, more than they did on Wednesday? Or the push that happened and was discussed on Wednesday?

Jesus, not only did I not forget that it was discussed here, I forgot that I even posted about it.

Don’t write before coffee fellas...

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Except the grid in TX isn't really connected to the western interconnection (which is what Cali is on) (except for far, far west TX - El Paso and Van Horn, basically).

Serious answer, I invite friends over to do laundry. I have a close friend who has 3 kids, and I don't directly pay for water (it's split up among the entire apartment complex) - she spends a solid 2 days here doing laundry every couple of weeks. I had to cut it back a bit over the winter, since I have electric heat (and came really close to going over the cutoff for any discounts on my plan).

Can't leave doors open, since I have an indoor-only cat. If having friends over to do laundry isn't enough, I crank the ac down to 55, or the heat up to 80. Property manager installed a brand new HVAC system last year though, even keeping it at 68 inside during the summer uses less than half the power that I'd use keeping it at 78 the year before.

Also keep my water heater set to "instant skin graft required if you even look at the faucet" temps during the summer. I have to turn it down in the winter because the drat thing just never shuts off during a cold snap (it's outside, WTF). No idea why it's outside.. only a small portion of my apartment complex is built like that (I think about half of my particular floorplan is like that, and I'm pretty sure it's only my floorplan... there's something insane like 25+ floorplans since this is a 800+ unit property that was originally multiple condo developments). If you look at my apartment's website, you can tell which units in my floorplan have the water heater inside based on "full size w/d connections" or "stackable w/d connections" - they just threw it in the laundry room where the washer would normally go.

My TX elec (4change) gives me a flat bill of $44 including taxes if I keep my usage under 1k kW. If it goes over then the price per kW isn’t terrible but it’s not great. In the non summer months I usually average around 700 a month. They also send you a weekly email showing how much you’ve used and usage throughout times of the day.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Three Olives posted:

No, using 1250 kwh costs less than half as much as using 750 kwh. I know it doesn't make any sense but I think the issue is there are so many parties hedging from the retail companies down to the natural gas suppliers and the penalties are so onerous* for loving up your projections that I think the energy retailers say well 90% of homes are going to use between 1000-1500kwh so gently caress you if you mess with our numbers.

* By onerous I mean this:

So if Texas hits peak demand and the generators have to fire up plants to meet it they are allowed to charge $9,000 a megawatt hour or $9 a kwh so I think they want to make drat sure they know how much energy they need

What am I missing here? If you use between 501-999 you pay $89. For 1250 you then pay .0280 on anything from 1000 to 1500, so 250x.0280=$7.

750 example is $89.
1250 example is $96.

That fact sheet is wrong. The text at the bottom for 1250 doesn’t even align with the rates.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Probably because there's no 1250 usage on there.

The 2500 kWh example given... $272.50 / 2500 = $0.109, which matches up with the per kWh charge over 2000 kWh. It's a flat rate on three tiers, then jumps to actual kWh usage for the entire cycle if your usage doesn't fall into any of those tiers.

That's one of the more convoluted plans I've seen, but most of the companies here bill the entire cycle at one rate, including whoever put that fact sheet out.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

My TX elec (4change) gives me a flat bill of $44 including taxes if I keep my usage under 1k kW. If it goes over then the price per kW isn’t terrible but it’s not great. In the non summer months I usually average around 700 a month. They also send you a weekly email showing how much you’ve used and usage throughout times of the day.

Winter months are brutal for me, since I have electric heat and an outdoor water heater. Summer isn't that bad since the landlord replaced the HVAC, but I was just short of 1500 kWh last month. I was burning over 100 kWh a day until I turned the water heater way down during the cold snaps, and had to spend the last few days of the billing cycle with the heat at 55 to keep from going over (I get a $100 discount between 1000-1500, so going over would have tacked on another $100). I'm in a 1 bedroom apartment, for reference, and all of my lighting is LED or fluorescent. Crappy insulation + electric heat gets painful..

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 9, 2018

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

What am I missing here? If you use between 501-999 you pay $89. For 1250 you then pay .0280 on anything from 1000 to 1500, so 250x.0280=$7.

750 example is $89.
1250 example is $96.

That fact sheet is wrong. The text at the bottom for 1250 doesn’t even align with the rates.

Because you don't pay .028 on anything from 1000 to 1500, you pay .028 on your entire usage so 1250 x .028 =$35

What you are missing is that they want you to use between 1000-1500 and they penalize you significantly if you use more or less than that.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Yes that was the point of the discussion, that Texas is dumb for not being connected to everyone else and is making their own problems worse by being an island.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

bawfuls posted:

Yes that was the point of the discussion, that Texas is dumb for not being connected to everyone else and is making their own problems worse by being an island.

What is this problem that you keep referring to? If anything interconnecting would raise our energy prices. Yes rarely the generators can charge rape prices but that is not a problem unique to the Texas energy grid and even with that factored in we have some of the cheapest electricity in the nation.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Three Olives posted:

What is this problem that you keep referring to? If anything interconnecting would raise our energy prices. Yes rarely the generators can charge rape prices but that is not a problem unique to the Texas energy grid and even with that factored in we have some of the cheapest electricity in the nation.
If energy prices in Texas are cheap as hell then Texas energy companies would presumably like to be able to sell power out of state in markets where they can charge more for it.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

bawfuls posted:

If energy prices in Texas are cheap as hell then Texas energy companies would presumably like to be able to sell power out of state in markets where they can charge more for it.

And then they sell all the power to out of state markets at inflated prices, forcing them to turn on the generators and charge rape prices to the local market. It's win-win!

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

bawfuls posted:

I'm sure they would, unfortunately for them there are a lot of other interests that would prefer the energy stay in Texas cheaply including ironically the petrochemical industry which uses a lot of electricity. Not as much as Elon Musk claims but they use a lot.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
This is reminding me of those countries that are losing money hand over fist due to generous gasoline subsidies, which people abuse by smuggling gas over the border. It's as simple as modifying a truck to have a gigantic tank, driving into the country nearly empty, filling up, and driving out of the country again. Then you sell your cheap gas and repeat.

So...I guess this would be more of a problem if batteries were more efficient at storing electricity. :v:

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

bawfuls posted:

If Texas' problem is too much wind energy

Dave was only in Texas for a couple days, are his farts really that powerful?

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-02-12/a-farm-town-s-electric-dreams-threatened-with-chinese-billionaire-s-fortune

Man AI sure are astute businessman, look at how successful Faraday Future is. Called this poo poo months ago.

“I won’t judge this car until it has sold as many units as Tesla.” (Guess you won’t be judging it Gitlin).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sure sucks when your home charger stops latching mechanically. Hope they don’t have to replace the whole Wall Connector thing.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Sicilian posted:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-02-12/a-farm-town-s-electric-dreams-threatened-with-chinese-billionaire-s-fortune

Man AI sure are astute businessman, look at how successful Faraday Future is. Called this poo poo months ago.

“I won’t judge this car until it has sold as many units as Tesla.” (Guess you won’t be judging it Gitlin).

It's not hard to predict failure in a new business, especially in an industry like this. I think you may be a little too proud of yourself.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

The most interesting part of Faraday to me is the guy that started it appears to have had a very successful business and then pissed it all away with LeEco and Faraday. The hubris is amazing, he was incredibly wealthy but starting the Netflix of China wasn't enough, he wanted to be a mega tycoon so he leveraged his fortune into nothing.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Internet Explorer posted:

It's not hard to predict failure in a new business, especially in an industry like this. I think you may be a little too proud of yourself.

Or I saw a company that was in deep financial and political trouble (with the Chinese government, nonetheless) and made an accurate prediction.

I'm very excited for new entries to the market, Bollinger may very well be my next personal vehicle I purchase, but I don't care for obvious vaporware being compared to already released, established vehicles in production.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Sicilian posted:

Or I saw a company that was in deep financial and political trouble (with the Chinese government, nonetheless) and made an accurate prediction.

I'm very excited for new entries to the market, Bollinger may very well be my next personal vehicle I purchase, but I don't care for obvious vaporware being compared to already released, established vehicles in production.

The quote you supplied contradicts what you're saying.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

The Sicilian posted:

Psst: that quote was in reference to Lucid, not FF. It was obvious from CES 2016 that Faraday was smoke and mirrors.

If Lucid can find a backer (or a buyer) and get that car on sale, it’ll be good. But I reckon there’s only a 25% chance that’ll happen.

Byton feels like the next FF and I give them a 10% chance.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Since this thread partly serves as a renewable energy discussion thread; I found this report interesting:

https://windeurope.org/wp-content/uploads/files/about-wind/statistics/WindEurope-Annual-Statistics-2017.pdf

Highlights: Wind now accounts for 18% of installed power in the EU ad it covered 11.6% of consumption in 2017. I also like the term "executive summary". "Are you an executive? At least read this bit, we've made it as concise as possible". (I only read that bit)

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Ola posted:

I also like the term "executive summary". "Are you an executive? At least read this bit, we've made it as concise as possible". (I only read that bit)

I took a class where we learned how to write them. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_summary

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Executive summaries are extremely important and useful tools.

I deal with multi-thousand page environmental and geotechnical reports in my job, and executive summaries are great for throwing all of the actual pertinent information that I need into a couple of pages. I can then flip to actual data points that I need within the document while having an overall understanding of the findings. They are also very useful in proposals for summarizing our approach to work, who our company is, and why should be given a contract.

And, yeah, you don't really want a high level guy spending 20 hours reading 1,000 pages of technical data. That's a waste of resources. Executive Summary!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
For the last two hundred years, scientists and researchers and professors and other academics have called those summaries "abstracts", but I guess that's too obscure for your average C-level.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sagebrush posted:

For the last two hundred years, scientists and researchers and professors and other academics have called those summaries "abstracts", but I guess that's too obscure for your average C-level.

An abstract is an overview of what the document is about. An executive summary is an overview of what the document IS. They are completely different things.

*edit*

quote:

An executive summary differs from an abstract in that an abstract will usually be shorter and is typically intended as an overview or orientation rather than being a condensed version of the full document. Abstracts are extensively used in academic research where the concept of the executive summary is not in common usage. "An abstract is a brief summarizing statement... read by parties who are trying to decide whether or not to read the main document", while "an executive summary, unlike an abstract, is a document in miniature that may be read in place of the longer document".

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Oh, okay. So we call that a "summary."

But executives gotta be special.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sagebrush posted:

Oh, okay. So we call that a "summary."

But executives gotta be special.

I get it, you don't like the boss. It's okay.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

The name is semi-derogatory, if that helps. The “executive” part is code meaning “for a toddler’s attention span”.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Why not go back a few more centuries of common law and call it a brief? I guess since it's not as formalized as law, and not as ritualized as military, executive summary seems to fit the bill, no?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

DNK posted:

The name is semi-derogatory, if that helps. The “executive” part is code meaning “for a toddler’s attention span”.

One of my crowning achievements in the department I was in a couple of years ago, was introducing the weekly "Executive Summary" of our application KPIs. My boss at the time loved it, because he thought it made him sound important.

My suggestion was a bit tongue-in-cheek, because I was fed up with endless reports at the time, but everyone just loved it :)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
At least in my world an executive summary is supposed to help someone, possibly an executive or possibly not, execute a decision - so the information included in the summary may not actually be a summary of the report but more of a short summary and recommendations on decision making.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

At least in my world an executive summary is supposed to help someone, possibly an executive or possibly not, execute a decision - so the information included in the summary may not actually be a summary of the report but more of a short summary and recommendations on decision making.

Yeah, that’s my understanding of where the “executive” part of the name comes from. I’ve always really valued good executive summaries, whether I was an exec or not at the time.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yes, that is what they are for.

In my case, I might receive a geotechnical report for a potential new bridge construction project, containing of 1,500 pages of test methods, results, findings, potential alternates, and final recommendations. The executive summary would spell out in one page:

-the overall geotechnical characteristics of the site (soil type, rock, subsidence, etc)
-if the project as designed is feasible
-what remediation work, if any, is necessary
-what specification criteria the job should be built to

I can then flip to pertinent areas of actual data and avoid the hundreds of pages of information that aren’t actually pertinent to the overall findings. I can also make fairly targeted decisions on how to proceed based off the summary itself, as it tells me almost everything I need to know.

Executive Summary : This has been a most banal detail.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Speaking of banal, I’m seeing a ton of 2017 Chevy Bolts in the area which are getting marked down from MSRP (but no price, just a scratched out figure and “EMAIL US”), so I emailed a dealership asking what they were looking to get on the car. Cue the usual “OH MAN WE’RE GONNA DEAL YOU SO GOOD BIG BOY” reply followed by a phone call where they want to talk trade-ins and monthly payments, not the cost of the car.:nallears:

I’m starting to get the idea that Chevy’s having issues moving these things because their dealerships are still acting like it’s 1988, not 2018.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ripoff posted:

Speaking of banal, I’m seeing a ton of 2017 Chevy Bolts in the area which are getting marked down from MSRP (but no price, just a scratched out figure and “EMAIL US”), so I emailed a dealership asking what they were looking to get on the car. Cue the usual “OH MAN WE’RE GONNA DEAL YOU SO GOOD BIG BOY” reply followed by a phone call where they want to talk trade-ins and monthly payments, not the cost of the car.:nallears:

I’m starting to get the idea that Chevy’s having issues moving these things because their dealerships are still acting like it’s 1988, not 2018.

If I could snag one cheap I'd consider jumping on one. My commute is just outside of realistic for a used leaf/500e or that would be a no-brainer purchase. The issue with buying a new Bolt is that you know it's only going to hold its value a LITTLE better than the low-range EVs out there right now, and it's going to be outdated in just a couple of years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

eyebeem posted:

If I could snag one cheap I'd consider jumping on one. My commute is just outside of realistic for a used leaf/500e or that would be a no-brainer purchase. The issue with buying a new Bolt is that you know it's only going to hold its value a LITTLE better than the low-range EVs out there right now, and it's going to be outdated in just a couple of years.

That’s honestly why I’d only consider the Bolt as a lease; I don’t want to deal with the sale of a heavily depreciated asset when Chevy introduces the 2021 Bolt 2.0 with the new 375 mile 100kW battery and 303 HP. Leases are normally a lovely idea from a financial standpoint but I’ll give a big exception for EVs as the tech is improving ridiculously fast right now.

It’s why I think BMW had the right idea with the i3 having “upgradeable” battery packs, as they were able to squeeze their 33kWh pack into the same chassis as the original 22kWh pack, which should give you more of a reason to buy the i3 versus lease. If BMW said that they would support the current gen i3’s chassis for 10 years and upgrade the battery pack at a reasonable cost, then yeah, buy the 90-mile version today and in 3 years when they introduce a 200 mile version, just pay the money and get an upgrade to 200 miles.

... the problem is that the battery is still a huge chunk of the overall cost of the vehicle, so that plan sucks and nobody will take advantage of it due to cost alone. :haw: So, lease away for now.

• Locked thread