Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Skippy McPants posted:

I did the same thing in Lost River. I was bound and determined to never run out of mats ever again.

Still managed to burn through my copper and magnetite supplies crafting dozens of range upgrades when I went around and plopped down scanning outposts in every biome, just because.

You can just craft four range upgrades and take them with you between outposts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

I understand the need for a set number of clicks to keep the pace steady, but it woulda been cool if they'd gone with something like what Stardew Valley has where you gradually unlock more automation and quality of life stuff as the game progresses.

it's more that the devs view convenience as something that should come with significant drawbacks and not just stardew valley's automation curve which does not include any real drawbacks

but i'm also not sure why the stillsuit is so out of tune with that since food is super easy as hell to keep maxed out

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Skippy McPants posted:

I understand the need for a set number of clicks to keep the pace steady, but it woulda been cool if they'd gone with something like what Stardew Valley has where you gradually unlock more automation and quality of life stuff as the game progresses.

It's not a game if you're not self-flagellating

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Sloober posted:

it's more that the devs view convenience as something that should come with significant drawbacks and not just stardew valley's automation curve which does not include any real drawbacks

There's a very specific feel/experience that the devs are going for with this and unfortunately past a point automation actively goes against that. It's too empowering.

It's also something that keeps the limited nature of the world from being too much of a drawback. The more automation you have, the more you're going to explore (because there's only 3 things you actually do in the game: gather, build, explore,) the faster you're going to run out of things to explore, the faster you're going to put down the game and never pick it back up because you're finished with it.

Heck, in my completed game I never went to the Dunes, Sea Treader Path or the meat of the Mountain's zone and pretty much the only thing I was missing was the stillsuit. Also passed up the Ghost Tree area in the Lost River.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Sloober posted:

but i'm also not sure why the stillsuit is so out of tune with that since food is super easy as hell to keep maxed out
At least it's actually IN the game. Too little too late as it can feel, there was a span of time where it was just outright removed.

Thank god knives no longer have durability too. Convenient, and cut down on the bizarre bugs that could happen when a knife broke.

"I'll just drop this rabbit ray egg into my tank and... Oh I had two? I'll just drop that and... Wait, where did the first one I dropped go? And why is every time I swing a knife giving me creepvine samples?"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 14, 2018

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

EponymousMrYar posted:

There's a very specific feel/experience that the devs are going for with this and unfortunately past a point automation actively goes against that. It's too empowering.

It's also something that keeps the limited nature of the world from being too much of a drawback. The more automation you have, the more you're going to explore (because there's only 3 things you actually do in the game: gather, build, explore,) the faster you're going to run out of things to explore, the faster you're going to put down the game and never pick it back up because you're finished with it.

Heck, in my completed game I never went to the Dunes, Sea Treader Path or the meat of the Mountain's zone and pretty much the only thing I was missing was the stillsuit. Also passed up the Ghost Tree area in the Lost River.

I do get all of that, I just think they hewed a bit too far in the wrong direction in several places. Stuff like locker juggling doesn't make me feel powerless so much as bored.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

EponymousMrYar posted:

that might be what they were going for but it doesn't feel like it accomplishes that with how quickly those stop being problems

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
i wish you unlocked some kind of minimap hud at some point

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

StarMinstrel posted:

i wish you unlocked some kind of minimap hud at some point

It should be a chip you can make with the scanner room, like the item HUD.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Paracelsus posted:

You can just craft four range upgrades and take them with you between outposts.

Just remember to remove them before dismantling the room or they're gone forever :)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Does the water filtration device still drain power even when it has two salt and water processed in it?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Internet Kraken posted:

Does the water filtration device still drain power even when it has two salt and water processed in it?
When working correctly, it's supposed to stop draining power if it's all full up.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah it stops.
I think it even uses less power if it's only making one thing, IE the water.

At least it seemed to chug my 4 thermals and 6 solars power way more when I actually took the salt out for stuff and had them going full blast.

That might just be confirmation bias though.

Skippy McPants posted:

I do get all of that, I just think they hewed a bit too far in the wrong direction in several places. Stuff like locker juggling doesn't make me feel powerless so much as bored.

If you're getting bored locker juggling you're probably stockpiling too much stuff. I ended up stockpiling a lot of stuff too, a full size locker for every building material, 3 for quartz, 5 for titanium (mesh & rubber shared a locker and I had a mixed one of rubies, diamonds and stalker teeth.) At the end game the only thing I actively ran out of was titanium because I was trying to fill up a Neptune locker with Plasteel (this is after building a second cyclops to make the cockpit.)

Sloober posted:

that might be what they were going for but it doesn't feel like it accomplishes that with how quickly those stop being problems
Exploring, Building, and Gathering never stop being 'problems' IE game mechanics you have to solve even in Freedom Mode where you don't even have to worry about food or water. You explore, find resources to gather, build stuff to let you explore/gather more and repeat. That's the basic gameplay loop.

Semantics note: I don't consider crafting from storage to be a form of automation because you still have to go to the fabricator and say 'convert these into this.' Automation would be going there and say 'hey fab, convert quartz into glass x amount of times while i go do something else' ala Factorio.

Which I agree would be neat but all it does is convert Build time into Explore/Gather time.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I haven't beaten the game yet but this game does feel like it has a bad resource imbalance in that some resources are used a ton while others are barely required. A good example of this comes from the shale stones: you can get lithium, gold, or diamond from them. Lithium is super useful and used in tons of stuff. Gold comes from sandstone rocks too though and isn't used in nearly as much and in smaller quantities. Diamond is used barely ever. So when breaking open those rocks I always want litihum despite it not being the "rare" drop from them. Gold I feel like I have too much of and I'm dropping loving diamonds in exchange for titanium. It feels silly, but I have half a locker of diamonds I never touch. Meanwhile titanium is constantly needed so if I'm being practical there's no reason I'd take a diamond over titanium.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Internet Kraken posted:

I haven't beaten the game yet but this game does feel like it has a bad resource imbalance in that some resources are used a ton while others are barely required. A good example of this comes from the shale stones: you can get lithium, gold, or diamond from them. Lithium is super useful and used in tons of stuff. Gold comes from sandstone rocks too though and isn't used in nearly as much and in smaller quantities. Diamond is used barely ever. So when breaking open those rocks I always want litihum despite it not being the "rare" drop from them. Gold I feel like I have too much of and I'm dropping loving diamonds in exchange for titanium. It feels silly, but I have half a locker of diamonds I never touch. Meanwhile titanium is constantly needed so if I'm being practical there's no reason I'd take a diamond over titanium.

Yeah, there's definitely a lot of this. Titanium can at least be found in pretty vast quantities from scrap around the kelp, but then you can't transport those vast quantities to whereever you want to build a base until you get the Cyclops (it'd certainly be nice to be able to unmake ingots). Copper has been pretty bad for me, largely because I like to put picture frames on any blank walls, and there's no way to get massive amounts quickly (even with prawn+scanner it takes forever to move and forever to drill and you have such limited capacity). Lead's another one that I end up with way too much of, but at least that can be dumped into foundations.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Internet Kraken posted:

It was much, much worse before. Now at least the useless bits aren't the majority.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

EponymousMrYar posted:

Semantics note: I don't consider crafting from storage to be a form of automation because you still have to go to the fabricator and say 'convert these into this.' Automation would be going there and say 'hey fab, convert quartz into glass x amount of times while i go do something else' ala Factorio.

Minecraft has the same basic problem, annoying inventory management which gets more annoying when building complex late-game things from large amounts of raw materials.

Because of this I personally gravitate towards modpacks that contain a mod called Applied Energistics. That mod allows you to build a linked network of storage devices which can be connected to terminals and processors. Advanced terminals support crafting directly from the online inventory, and processors can be programmed with a recipe which then allows a given item to be auto-crafted from its prerequisites, and if those prerequisites themselves need to be crafted they will be as long as the appropriate recipes are loaded.

Everything runs on in-game power though (provided via other mods in this case, but a similar idea in Subnautica could obviously use the native power). The larger the network, the longer the connections, the more components, the more processors you have running simultaneously, the more power it'll suck.

Since the universe of Subnautica already has some form of converting objects to data and back this concept wouldn't really be a stretch, and the power consumption can be used to make it still require some form of effort.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What’s the point of the scanner drones? One of mine keeps getting stolen by a stalker and I’m probably okay with it keeping it

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Jay Rust posted:

What’s the point of the scanner drones? One of mine keeps getting stolen by a stalker and I’m probably okay with it keeping it

Until you get magnetite to make the hud upgrade, you can use them as a beacon for the resources you find with the scanner. I did this for stalker teeth early in the game.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

wolrah posted:

Minecraft has the same basic problem, annoying inventory management which gets more annoying when building complex late-game things from large amounts of raw materials.
Yeah, Minecraft is totally deserving of automation because you've got over 100 raw materials to convert into stuff and build with.
Subnautica I would argue, isn't.

You have:
20 raw materials that aren't farmable (includes both coral samples.)
6 raw farmable materials (and thus don't need internal storage.)
9 basic materials.
5 advanced materials.

For a total of 40 materials used to build stuff. (Not including stuff used to make the story thing because that's a 1-time craft.)

Out of all of those you're mostly going to be dealing with:

Titanium
Copper
Silver
Lead
Quartz/Gold (quartz depends on how much you love windows, gold on power transmitters)
Magnetite
Lithium
Rubies (depends entirely on how much aerogel you need)

That's not bad really.

Mainly I'm mostly annoyed that tools take up so much space in my personal storage. Ended up shelving the repulsion cannon most of the time in favor of the stasis rifle because I went the other way around in beta :v:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Jay Rust posted:

Using them as beacons for areas you want to visit and scouting out resources. Stalkers love to treat them like chew toys though so trying to use them anywhere near them is basically pointless. I once had a stalker swim all the way down to the jellycaves just to gently caress with a scanner I had there.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Stalkers give no fucks and will wander deep into adjacent biomes if it means it can steal your cameras. Use them as beacons when needed and then pack them in a storage locker in your base when you're done.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Looks like you can permanently kill sneaky stalkers by slamming them with your Seamoth three or four times. Good.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

QuantaStarFire posted:

Stalkers give no fucks and will wander deep into adjacent biomes if it means it can steal your cameras. Use them as beacons when needed and then pack them in a storage locker in your base when you're done.

Switched over from an e/n thread to this one and got really confused for a sec

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I built a deep base, and then built a long rear end tube to the surface so I could have a platform up there loaded with solar panels.

But now a reefback is caught on the tube and just goes in circles around it, blasting my base with deep bassy moans constantly.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I built a deep base, and then built a long rear end tube to the surface so I could have a platform up there loaded with solar panels.

But now a reefback is caught on the tube and just goes in circles around it, blasting my base with deep bassy moans constantly.

I don't see the problem.

But if you have a repulsion cannon you can try blasting him away. Those reefbsck sounds travel pretty far though.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

QuantaStarFire posted:

I must have finally come to an agreement with the Stalkers after all my "Stalker AI is the best thing but the rest is trash" talk. Because they have not stolen my cameras in ages despite my habitually building at the edge of the safe shallows and my camera sweeps always include a quick dose of pop in kelp scrap.

Maybe they don't think it's worth it if I leave one stashed in a locker and the other in it's exterior slot? "Only ONE camera!? Ugh, might as well only have half a kit kat bar!"

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.
Can you build structures on reefbacks?

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Jay Rust posted:

Looks like you can permanently kill sneaky stalkers by slamming them with your Seamoth three or four times. Good.

I did this, and another one immediately came over and said "'sup?" so ymmv.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Cling-Wrap Condom posted:

Can you build structures on reefbacks?

Nope.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
My favourite thing about reefbacks is when they get stuck in the terrain and just ping out and do a sick 900 and just carry on as if nothing happened. Managed to actually push through and finish the game today and pretty pleased with it! Didn't have to do any excessive trips was short 2 crystalised sulphur which I took the seamoth down quickly to grab some then came back. Actually lost the fear of pretty much all the spooky poo poo by the end ILZ fish was just a loud boy but didn't really do much.

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

im uninstalling

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Yo I just got this game this week and have played for a few hours. I have my seamoth but haven't done any exploring with it yet. I was too afraid to go more than a kilometer from my little base without it, but now we'll see. I like the game! Playing at night with headphones made my feet sweat.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

That's a shame, your mum just wants to visit your new house.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Enjoying the game a lot, making inroads into the lost river, figured I'd go round up whatever's in the underwater islands biome. Was exploring a wreck in my Seamoth when I was attacked by like 30 bonesharks. Like, I zapped 10 of them away with my electrified hull thing, but they just kept coming. Seems kind of dumb. I've really enjoyed how sparse the wildlife is, where it's long stretches of spooky noises and then suddenly some giant monster is attacking you, but that just felt real bad, like I guess you just have to sort of get lucky with the spawns or something to explore that wreck? I think there was like a cuttable door on it, and there's no way you could actually do that with that many bonesharks trying to eat your face.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Finally got around to building a prawn suit and oh my god where in the galaxy can I legally marry my prawn suit

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
I created my Cyclops and took it for spin trying to learn the controls but I kept ending up surfacing. I get out to grab some supplies and when I look at the Cyclops its covered in floaters. I had to go collect them all before I could control the sub like normal.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

don't play hardcore. or you might get glitched under geometry by a crabsquid and be unable to use the console to warp yourself out and lose yet another 7 hours to a dumb glitch, or you might open the hatch to your cyclops, click the button to enter, hear a roar and then see the game over screen and lose 5 hours :tipshat:

at this point the good part of blowing it so many times is that i can be in a cyclops in pretty much two hours from a fresh start now

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Those are scrub numbers. https://www.speedrun.com/subnautica/run/zxvj605y Some guy from the Netherlands beat the game in less than an hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

boar guy posted:

don't play hardcore. or you might get glitched under geometry by a crabsquid and be unable to use the console to warp yourself out and lose yet another 7 hours to a dumb glitch, or you might open the hatch to your cyclops, click the button to enter, hear a roar and then see the game over screen and lose 5 hours :tipshat:

at this point the good part of blowing it so many times is that i can be in a cyclops in pretty much two hours from a fresh start now

I glitched through the floor of The Primary Containment Facility and almost got killed twice by the rocket platform having a collision issue with the PRAWN suit.

I never actually died during my survival playthrough and hardcore doesn't make it any more difficult to my knowledge.