Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Sadly not. Not yet at any rate.

There's a severe lack of AdMech centric fiction written to begin with. Aside from his stuff there's Titanicus and that tie-in book from when AdMech got their own codex, and that's it as far as I know.

Storm of Iron is great though. Definitely one of the must-reads in my opinion.
It has the origin of poor guardsman Hawke, and one of my absolute favourite :black101: moments in 40k fiction.

Also, someone else said a while back, but I'll echo that I enjoy the character crossovers in his books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I wrote a not very good fanfic about Merrick from Dawn of War 2 fighting against traitor Mechanicus soldiers once. I think I'll stick to letting Graham write them well.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Feb 13, 2018

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Groetgaffel posted:

Also, someone else said a while back, but I'll echo that I enjoy the character crossovers in his books.

They can come across pretty hamfisted sometimes though. Like in Angel Exterminatus, he felt compelled to include almost every characters from Storm of Iron, or at least it seemed that way.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

A bit too on the nose perhaps, yeah. Didn't bother me overly much though, I always had the impression that the old important dudes used to be on the highest echelons of the old Legion reading Storm of Iron.
So it does make some sense that they're hanging around close to Perturabo in the good old days.

Unrelated, I know that the Horus Heresy series wasn't originally supposed to be nearly as long and got padded put to a ridiculous degree at the behest of lousy management.
I feel the padded out the most boring stretch of it too. I would've loved to read more about the Great Crusade before everything fell apart.

On the other hand that might make for a good future series. It'd be cool to start at Emps setting out from Terra and seeing the discovery of each primarch as it happens.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Groetgaffel posted:

A bit too on the nose perhaps, yeah. Didn't bother me overly much though, I always had the impression that the old important dudes used to be on the highest echelons of the old Legion reading Storm of Iron.
So it does make some sense that they're hanging around close to Perturabo in the good old days.

Unrelated, I know that the Horus Heresy series wasn't originally supposed to be nearly as long and got padded put to a ridiculous degree at the behest of lousy management.
I feel the padded out the most boring stretch of it too. I would've loved to read more about the Great Crusade before everything fell apart.

On the other hand that might make for a good future series. It'd be cool to start at Emps setting out from Terra and seeing the discovery of each primarch as it happens.

This is the Imperial Truth right here. It's bizarre to have the books skip over so much storytelling, only to grind through the same plotline (treachery by a secret order, loyalist survivors discover that Chaos is real bad) over and over as Horus' attack slowly makes its attack on Terra.

I think a lot of it stems from not knowing how they want to portray the emperor, and so any story that would feature him keeps getting kicked down the road. But they need to figure it out, because he's at the center of so much of the mythology.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Feb 13, 2018

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

What Black Library books are considered canon by GW and which are not? I'm assuming all of the HH line is canon, but what of the post-Heresy timeline novels? I know stuff from older novels has been contradicted by HH novels/newer fluff in codexes/later events (13th Black Crusade mk2 being the big one, I know the Ciaphas Cain novels were "published" post-13th Black Crusade originally) but have they ever actually said what their stance is regarding the older novels as canon?

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Groetgaffel posted:

. Aside from his stuff there's Titanicus and that tie-in book from when AdMech got their own codex, and that's it as far as I know.

Ooh got a title for that tie in stuff?

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Randalor posted:

What Black Library books are considered canon by GW and which are not? I'm assuming all of the HH line is canon, but what of the post-Heresy timeline novels? I know stuff from older novels has been contradicted by HH novels/newer fluff in codexes/later events (13th Black Crusade mk2 being the big one, I know the Ciaphas Cain novels were "published" post-13th Black Crusade originally) but have they ever actually said what their stance is regarding the older novels as canon?

It’s all canon viewpoints from unreliable narrators.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

I don’t think I have Tactica Imperialis, what other “fluffbooks” did they do?

Battle for Armageddon, The Sabbat Worlds Crusade, Tactica Imperialis, Xenology and 13th Black Crusade.

No idea about their overall release order other than I think BfA was first as I distinctly remember buying it at a GW store like a decade back or something.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Fellblade posted:

It’s all canon viewpoints from unreliable narrators.

This. It excuses them from having to spend too much time editing books and writing themselves into a corner or not being able to easily replace a thing with something cooler in the future.

I can see the benefit to this, but it can be maddening for the reader, having to digest 30 years of fluff.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Holy poo poo, the Hrud are loving weird.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

berzerkmonkey posted:

This. It excuses them from having to spend too much time editing books and writing themselves into a corner or not being able to easily replace a thing with something cooler in the future.

I can see the benefit to this, but it can be maddening for the reader, having to digest 30 years of fluff.

And I love that method of “canon” (I call it “fuzzy continuity”) and I wish more franchises would adopt it. It almost instantly resolves any minor continuity flubs.

Groetgaffel posted:

I’d like to see a series of books chronicling the whole of human history in as exhausting detail as the Horus Heresy series has.

poo poo, have it start in the 20th century, and advance at the same rate chronologically as the HH series until you catch up with the HH books.

“The Holocaust happens, the Emperor does nothing.”

“Humanity brings itself to the brink of nuclear annihilation during the Cold War, the Emperor does nothing.”

Just think: literal tens of thousands of Black Library novels, advancing at a snail’s pace.

It would be glorious.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Immanentized posted:

Holy poo poo, the Hrud are loving weird.

Reading the Mechanicus trilogy? Yeah.

There’s another book about Helbrecht, I think, where he brings the Black Templars to try and help a chapter to exterminate a Hrud infestation. It doesn’t take and he is salty about it, while the chapter who has been doing this for thousands of years all but laughs at him.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Moose-Alini posted:

Ooh got a title for that tie in stuff?

https://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-40000/novels/ad-mech-tech-priest-ebook.html
Have not read it myself. Description sounds really generic.

Kaal posted:

This is the Imperial Truth right here. It's bizarre to have the books skip over so much storytelling, only to grind through the same plotline (treachery by a secret order, loyalist survivors discover that Chaos is real bad) over and over as Horus' attack slowly makes its attack on Terra.

I think a lot of it stems from not knowing how they want to portray the emperor, and so any story that would feature him keeps getting kicked down the road. But they need to figure it out, because he's at the center of so much of the mythology.
Irrelevant Iron Hands does stuff on an irrelevant jungle planet.
And then there's a callback to them in Ruinstorm when nobody remember them.
Iron Hands really got the short end of the stick in Horus Heresy, in more ways than one. :smith:

Taking so long to get going with the Heresy again is mostly due to former GW CEO, a complete fuckstick, having the brilliant idea of letting the economy department run everything. They in turn decided to milk HH for all its worth, which is why there's just a deluge of filler. Most of the good BL writers distanced themselves by varying degrees writing much less. Abnett outright refused to work with BL until they unfucked themselves.

Groetgaffel fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Feb 13, 2018

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cooked Auto posted:

Battle for Armageddon, The Sabbat Worlds Crusade, Tactica Imperialis, Xenology and 13th Black Crusade.
The Imperial infantryman's Uplifting Primer counts, right?

Xenomrph posted:

And I love that method of “canon” (I call it “fuzzy continuity”) and I wish more franchises would adopt it. It almost instantly resolves any minor continuity flubs.
I like how Macross handles it. Everything you see is a piece of in-universe media representing a take on a historical event.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I finished the first Gaunt's Ghosts Omnibus sometime around 2007 or so. I was digging around in my bin and found I had the second one The Saint which opens with Honour Guard.

Man, it's cool coming back to a family like that over so much time. This book may as well have been about the WW2 German invasion through the Ardennes. Tank battles with las cannons melting entire city streets and leaving foot soldiers blind in their wake is just too retro scifi cool.

I missed this so much.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm so far behind. I started tracking the books I've read and the ones I need to read and I think I'm going to have to retire just to have the time to keep up to date.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm so far behind. I started tracking the books I've read and the ones I need to read and I think I'm going to have to retire just to have the time to keep up to date.

I've got mine in Calibre, and the ratio of read to non-read is probably close to 1:10, if not worse.

I was actually thinking about this the other day, and with the volume that BL puts out, it's almost a hobby in itself in that it would require a lot of free time to keep up with all of the books that come out (obviously less, if you only focus on one series.)

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Finished forges on a cross country flight earlier today, and my strongest reaction is that McNeill has such a small body of mechanicus work.

The Hrud communal "gently caress you" near the end was awesome though.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

berzerkmonkey posted:

I've got mine in Calibre, and the ratio of read to non-read is probably close to 1:10, if not worse.

I was actually thinking about this the other day, and with the volume that BL puts out, it's almost a hobby in itself in that it would require a lot of free time to keep up with all of the books that come out (obviously less, if you only focus on one series.)

I started the HH series last summer and am now on Corax. Haven't skipped anything except audio only stuff. Also took breaks to read Ravenor, Night Lords, and Forge of Mars trilogies as well as Dark Imperium and some other random 40k books . I dream the 30k/40k universe at this point.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Via someone in TFR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFRa0KZsGhc

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Topical to my last post

https://youtu.be/wy-sVTaZRPk

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

He also did a Mechanicus song to Battle Hymn of the Republic:

https://youtu.be/wy-sVTaZRPk

Oops, just saw your second post...

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Groetgaffel posted:

Irrelevant Iron Hands does stuff on an irrelevant jungle planet.

When I read it at release I was genuinally annoyed about what a waste of time and money 'The Damnation of Pythos' was. That is definitely the nadir of the HH books for me and let's face it there's some stiff competition there.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Deptfordx posted:

When I read it at release I was genuinally annoyed about what a waste of time and money 'The Damnation of Pythos' was. That is definitely the nadir of the HH books for me and let's face it there's some stiff competition there.
The most damming thing about it is that it has nothing to do with the Heresy whatsoever.
You could set it in the 41st millennium rather than the 31st without having to change a single thing.

Nemesis and battle for the abyss for all of their myriad faults are at least connected to the events of the time period they're set in.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I still have my copy of Battle For The Abyss. I'm not sure why because I never touched it after reading it and don't remember a thing about it other then "same battle scene copied and pasted over and over".

Should find it and toss it out. Wouldn't want to inflict it on others.

Found it. It's now in a grave of coffee grounds.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Feb 14, 2018

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

The Imperial infantryman's Uplifting Primer counts, right?

While I was mainly referring to the large A4-ish books the Uplifting Primer does count, and the Munitorium manual. Even if they later on got reprinted as a bundle.

Same goes with the Warhammer Fantasy ones they made around the same time. The Witch Hunters handbook and Life of Sigmar.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Don’t forget Liber Chaotica.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Xenomrph posted:

Don’t forget Liber Chaotica.
Oh poo poo, yeah. Those count double.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I own the collected Liber Chaotica but I haven’t gone page by page with it (yet), doesn’t it have some thinly veiled 40k shout-outs?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yup. It was written back when the authors found it funny to callback to the Rogue Trader/3rd edtion Fantasy sourcebooks.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Biplane posted:

DoW2 was clearly the superior DoW and I will fight anyone who disagrees.

Dark Crusade let me play as a Necron, so no, DoW2 wasn't the best.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Relevant Tangent posted:

Dark Crusade let me play as a Necron, so no, DoW2 wasn't the best.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The Necrons were great in Dark Crusade, they were like a freight train. Slow to get moving, but once they were rolling they were unstoppable.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Sending a Monolith up into the air to slowly move at your opponent was a good feeling. Also they had some of the best narrated bits if you "rescued" the Pariah. Also just a squad of pariahs, now that I think about it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
"Return to your graves, xenos scum!"

"Gladly, but not before we drag you to yours."

Tomas Macabee had some nice burns.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

My favorite build order was kicking up a second monolith as soon as (un)humanly possible. People got mad, thinking that necrons shouldn't be able to get troops out that quickly.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Sooo many giant green nuclear explosions..

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Has anyone read Genestealer Cults by Peter Fehervari? Spoiler question:

Through the second half of the book it seems like the gsc patriarch is holding back some sort of unknown evil, the binding or whatever - he dies before he can finish. Is that the summoning of the Tyranid fleet? Is it something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

muggins posted:

Has anyone read Genestealer Cults by Peter Fehervari? Spoiler question:

Through the second half of the book it seems like the gsc patriarch is holding back some sort of unknown evil, the binding or whatever - he dies before he can finish. Is that the summoning of the Tyranid fleet? Is it something else?

Haven't read it but it's probably the "come here" psychic beacon yeah.