Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ineptmule posted:

Is it insane to suggest that GW could just move their huge new injection moulding machines to a different location and keep the rest of their operation where it is? (Probably yes as this is business and I know gently caress all about their logistical chain, but if they are supposed to increase their output capacity by 800% you’d think it would be worth it.)

The machines? No that's doable. They're also not really what makes these operations so successful. The people running the machines and making the molds are what really makes these operations successful, and any kind of major move would pose a challenge in that regard. You could feasibly do all the development at Nottingham and then have another site for mass manufacture of the verified product, but even then it's difficult to say how well that would work. When you're dealing with a steel mold designed to mass produce figurines with sub-millimeter scale features where product quality is the absolute top requirement then there are all sorts of factors that can go into screwing things up. Now in the future when additive manufacturing reaches the sweet spot of speed and quality I could see that changing, but right now that doesn't seem likely.

In a decade I could see Games Workshop installing high grade additive manufacturing systems at their stores and allowing the on-demand production of certain limited run items in store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Uroboros posted:

I could see people literally bribing their opponents with drinks and gifts.

truly a terrible future we should all dread

Crini
Sep 2, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The machines? No that's doable. They're also not really what makes these operations so successful. The people running the machines and making the molds are what really makes these operations successful, and any kind of major move would pose a challenge in that regard. You could feasibly do all the development at Nottingham and then have another site for mass manufacture of the verified product, but even then it's difficult to say how well that would work. When you're dealing with a steel mold designed to mass produce figurines with sub-millimeter scale features where product quality is the absolute top requirement then there are all sorts of factors that can go into screwing things up. Now in the future when additive manufacturing reaches the sweet spot of speed and quality I could see that changing, but right now that doesn't seem likely.

In a decade I could see Games Workshop installing high grade additive manufacturing systems at their stores and allowing the on-demand production of certain limited run items in store.

I could be completely wrong here, but I seem to remember GW making miniatures at the Memphis location when it opened. However I was told they have since stopped that and shipped all the equipment back to the UK.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

Crini posted:

I could be completely wrong here, but I seem to remember GW making miniatures at the Memphis location when it opened. However I was told they have since stopped that and shipped all the equipment back to the UK.

They had some of their scenery made overseas iirc, but otherwise all miniatures production is done, and has always been done, in Nottingham.

It's possible I'm wrong though.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Nifara posted:

They had some of their scenery made overseas iirc, but otherwise all miniatures production is done, and has always been done, in Nottingham.

It's possible I'm wrong though.

you're wrong. They had manufacturing in the US for a long time (and I *think* they still do). It used to be in Glen Burnie, and they'd do tours of the facility pretty often. I'm pretty sure they just moved that operation to Memphis, but I could be wrong on whether they still make minis there.

e: looking at recent statements, it looks like they may not still be doing manufacturing in the US. I suspect it's less important to have US manufacturing now that they don't make metal minis outside of "made-to-order" anymore. iirc plastic manufacture was never done in the US, just metal minis

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Feb 14, 2018

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

TheChirurgeon posted:

you're wrong. They had manufacturing in the US for a long time (and I *think* they still do). It used to be in Glen Burnie, and they'd do tours of the facility pretty often. I'm pretty sure they just moved that operation to Memphis, but I could be wrong on whether they still make minis there.

e: looking at recent statements, it looks like they may not still be doing manufacturing in the US. I suspect it's less important to have US manufacturing now that they don't make metal minis outside of "made-to-order" anymore. iirc plastic manufacture was never done in the US, just metal minis

Ah, fair enough. You learn new things every day!

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
I've started an email campaign where I hound them day and night until they bring the old metal Death Guard Havoc shoulder pads back to made-to-order.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Nifara posted:

I can't for a moment imagine that the higher ups at GW aren't screaming constantly for this to get resolved, because it must be hampering their profits in an appalling fashion.

Not to mention that these machines presumably cost a fuckton in the first place.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
They can put the machines in my gaff as long as I get free some Hive Guard, a Tyrannofex and maybe a Dimachaeron.

Also Duncan has to spend half an hour a day helping me paint.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

TheChirurgeon posted:

An elaborate affair in which everyone is competing to be viewed as the nicest, cleanest, and most polite person also seems like good practice for reintegrating hams into society.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TheChirurgeon posted:

I think Glen Burnie used to do metals. I know that they sold bits by the pound at one point (I miss those days).

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Felime posted:

An elaborate affair in which everyone is competing to be viewed as the nicest, cleanest, and most polite person also seems like good practice for reintegrating hams into society.

:goonsay: good hygeine is op and should be nerfed! i dont have time to shower!

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

PierreTheMime posted:

:goonsay: good hygeine is op and should be nerfed! i dont have time to shower!
:goonsay: look i can 3 colour these men or shower not both

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I think Glen Burnie used to do metals. I know that they sold bits by the pound at one point (I miss those days).

They definitely did metals. I've taken the tour of their old facility--it's pretty fun. More than buying bits by the pound, I miss having buddies working there in mail order who would just get them for me ;)

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

TheChirurgeon posted:

Well I was going to give the best sportsmanship to my first opponent because he gave me a full bottle of Crown Royal, but then my final opponent gave me a blow job mid match...

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Last time I spoke to a FW designer he confirmed what Nifara is saying about sculptors. "It's difficult finding qualified sculptors who will work for what we pay, or who are willing to live in Nottingham." To the extent that FW had poached a couple from Citadel, pissing Citadel off.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
It's nuts that the 30k primarch are sculpted by that one guy.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
GW does not do plastic injection molding manufacturing in the US. The issue was apparently one of tariffs not on the US-made products but rather on the import of the UK-produced master molds. Plastic-injection molds are fantastically expensive, and there was some hinky clause in the US intellectual property laws that made the tariffs on the actual molds themselves astronomically high, to the extent that selling its product at MSRP, the mold couldn't recoup its tax burden over its usable lifetime.

I don't know how that would change now that C&C milling is more ubiquitous - you'd think that with everything being done in CAD nowadays that GW could electronically "export" the master C&C file to a US tool & dye manufacturer, who could then cut a master mold that (itself being produced here in the US) would get around the worst of these tax issues, but there could very well be some other clause of which that plan would run afoul. And at the very least, it would double GW's mold costs - as they'd have to cut one for production in the UK and another for production in the US - unless they chose to only make sprue X and one place and sprue Y in the other.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Last time I spoke to a FW designer he confirmed what Nifara is saying about sculptors. "It's difficult finding qualified sculptors who will work for what we pay, or who are willing to live in Nottingham." To the extent that FW had poached a couple from Citadel, pissing Citadel off.

You would think a company worth tens of millions of dollars, with over a hundred million dollars in revenue, would do a better job of compensating and retaining the core talent responsible for their success.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Ilor posted:

GW does not do plastic injection molding manufacturing in the US...

interesting--I did not know that. Thanks!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You would think a company worth tens of millions of dollars, with over a hundred million dollars in revenue, would do a better job of compensating and retaining the core talent responsible for their success.

It seems like "miniature sculptors/modelers in the UK" is both a very small pool of skilled laborers to pull from and also a job that has very few competitors to worry about. And even if the compensation was solid, they still might balk at living in Nottingham, much like you'd balk at living in say, Memphis to work at the GW US HQ.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ilor posted:

GW does not do plastic injection molding manufacturing in the US. The issue was apparently one of tariffs not on the US-made products but rather on the import of the UK-produced master molds. Plastic-injection molds are fantastically expensive, and there was some hinky clause in the US intellectual property laws that made the tariffs on the actual molds themselves astronomically high, to the extent that selling its product at MSRP, the mold couldn't recoup its tax burden over its usable lifetime.

I don't know how that would change now that C&C milling is more ubiquitous - you'd think that with everything being done in CAD nowadays that GW could electronically "export" the master C&C file to a US tool & dye manufacturer, who could then cut a master mold that (itself being produced here in the US) would get around the worst of these tax issues, but there could very well be some other clause of which that plan would run afoul. And at the very least, it would double GW's mold costs - as they'd have to cut one for production in the UK and another for production in the US - unless they chose to only make sprue X and one place and sprue Y in the other.

The reason that plastic-injection molds are ridiculously expensive (tens, if not over a hundred thousand dollars) is that they require an insane level of engineering and artistry. There is no guarantee that there is even a tool and die manufacturer in the US who could make such a specialized piece of equipment. The combination of precision, surface finish, fit, and a myriad of other challenges makes it a specialty in an already specialized field. If you can't ship the molds to the US then you're better off moving the manufacturing capability to the molds.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I think this is probably one of those situation where it obviously has not been a huge issue before, but the company ends up having to raise specific wages.

Edit: On mould chat, I suspect that GW's senior mould people get paid a gently caress of a lot more than their senior sculptors.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 14, 2018

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Is there any way to make regular chaos marines with chainsword/pistol decent? I just like the models and wanna make them work somehow.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I think this is probably one of those situation where it obviously has not been a huge issue before, but the company ends up having to raise specific wages.

Edit: On mould chat, I suspect that GW's senior mould people get paid a gently caress of a lot more than their senior sculptors.

Yeah. Anyone responsible for the actual engineering or design of the molds, aka "people who would get poached in a heartbeat", are likely well compensated.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Oh, I'm sure we have shops that could do the work. The automotive and aerospace industries have some ridiculously tight tolerances on some pretty small, fiddly parts. But even if the electronic export laws let GW go that route, they'd still be paying US materials and labor costs to have those master molds made, which I'm guessing is probably more than they're currently paying in the UK.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Is there any way to make regular chaos marines with chainsword/pistol decent? I just like the models and wanna make them work somehow.

I don't know about decent (they're almost always going to be worse than double-tapping bolters), but if you want to get the most out of them, you should give them Mark of Khorne and an Icon of Wrath, put them in a Rhino, use them to take down weaker targets/tie up better shooting targets, and consider putting them with either an exalted champion to get wound re-rolls or a dark apostle to get hit re-rolls. You can use the Khorne strategem to have them fight twice as needed. If you're running 10 of them, give them a pair of flamers or meltaguns.

You're almost always going to be better off taking berserkers instead, but if, like me, you've already modeled and painted a squad, that's probably how you get the most out of them.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

TheChirurgeon posted:

And even if the compensation was solid, they still might balk at living in Nottingham

Yup, there's a reason it has the nickname 'Shotingham'.

In other news, d'aww: http://newsthump.com/2017/02/14/warhammer-valentines-are-the-most-romantic-say-gamers/

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

Zark the Damned posted:

In other news, d'aww: http://newsthump.com/2017/02/14/warhammer-valentines-are-the-most-romantic-say-gamers/

Again, as a Nottingham resident...

There are lovely bits of Nottingham. Same as with every city. The shotingham thing is nonsense though - you have to remember that gun crime in the UK is so insanely low than any causes a notable spike in the stats that gets attention. IIRC the shottingham thing started because there were two gun crimes in a single year, which shot it (pun intended) up the list and got it a reputation.

It's a great city - good shopping district, a couple of universities, lots of green spaces. It's just in the loving Midlands.

The much much bigger problem than "getting people to live in Nottingham" is "getting people to accept poverty wages". There's an ongoing joke that you can go and write rules / paint models and get to claim benefits at the same time! Seriously, it's terrible. But I'm 100% sure they can get away with it.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Zark the Damned posted:

Again, the reeve of this shire seems to be at fault.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Two Beans posted:

Again, the reeve of this shire seems to be at fault.

Cometh the hour, cometh the man

:jihad:

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

So I'm building my first box of Harlequin troupes shortly. What is considered the best loadout for them?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Partial Octopus posted:

So I'm building my first box of Harlequin troupes shortly. What is considered the best loadout for them?

My understanding is Fusion Pistols & Harlequin's Embrace.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Partial Octopus posted:

Zuul the Cat posted:

My understanding is Fusion Pistols & Harlequin's Embrace.
A mixed setup of melee weapons so they can accurately be described as bringing hugs and kisses.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I'm building a Tyranid army and I need something to deal with tanks, especially when going up against Astra Militarum. What units are good for this? The problem with AM is that they tend to make it really hard to get to the tanks for CC because they're covered in bodies.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

a7m2 posted:

I'm building a Tyranid army and I need something to deal with tanks, especially when going up against Astra Militarum. What units are good for this? The problem with AM is that they tend to make it really hard to get to the tanks for CC because they're covered in bodies.

Hive Guard with Impaler Cannons don’t give a poo poo about closing to melee.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

a7m2 posted:

Hive Guard, Tyrannofex, maybe Exocrine.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Nifara posted:

Again, as a Nottingham resident...

Okay, you live in Nottingham and presumably play 40K...

How much interaction do you get with the writers/staff/etc. if you go to the game center to play?

No, I'm not out to stalk them. I'm more curious if they tease new stuff out in public.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
THAT'S IT. You all have held me back for too long.

Im off to Warhammer college!

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I ordered some of those Shapeways ‘Warfaces’ that someone linked to a week or so ago. They arrived today and are streets ahead of the last Shapeways stuff I got, which was grainy and terrible. There is very slight grain on the new prints but it’s almost indistinguishable and I’m hoping it will take Paint well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Cessna posted:

Okay, you live in Nottingham and presumably play 40K...

How much interaction do you get with the writers/staff/etc. if you go to the game center to play?

No, I'm not out to stalk them. I'm more curious if they tease new stuff out in public.

That's a very good way to get fired; GW takes its secrecy super seriously. I met a few GW folks when I was in Nottingham with the Independent Characters and while they were all super friendly and willing to talk the game and hobby and such, they were mum on new or upcoming stuff. My local GW manager got fired for entertaining/half confirming a rumor in his store, I'd imagine the same would happen to just about anyone for doing the same.