Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

andrew smash posted:

I live in an area with a lot of spanish place and road names and listening to Siri’s whitebread pronunciation is both funny and pretty grating.

There's a street here called La Cañada, but Siri says La Canada and it makes me smile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Endless Mike posted:

All the reports are saying that the next iOS will largely be refinement and speed improvements.

Yep. They're also not going to be afraid to push features if they're not ready. Hopefully they tackle and refine Apple Music.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It's laughable there's no landscape mode for plus phones in Music.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It's laughable there's no landscape mode for plus phones in Music.

This is infinitely better than having the stupid cover flow back in the day.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

This is infinitely better than having the stupid cover flow back in the day.

YOU TAKE THAT BACK :qq:

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Endless Mike posted:

All the reports are saying that the next iOS will largely be refinement and speed improvements.

As in, 11.3? Or 12? And if it's 12, does this mean it will come sooner than September?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The rumor is for 12. If it's true, then it sounds like the release date for the OS won't change, but teams don't have to be pressured into making the point release launch and can push their releases.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

As in, 11.3? Or 12? And if it's 12, does this mean it will come sooner than September?

Here’s the article that covers the planning ahead

quote:

Instead of keeping engineers on a relentless annual schedule and cramming features into a single update, Apple will start focusing on the next two years of updates for its iPhone and iPad operating system, according to people familiar with the change. The company will continue to update its software annually, but internally engineers will have more discretion to push back features that aren't as polished to the following year.

Articles also touches on a few other things like the iPad getting true multitasking next year and starting to bridge/have apps that run on both iOS and macOS (article mentions Home for smart homes)

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Rick posted:

There's a street here called La Cañada, but Siri says La Canada and it makes me smile.

Counter point to all the Siri pronunciation chat: a few years ago, the Google Maps voice directions lady would pronounce the name of the city of Pueblo, Colorado, as “pube-lo”. And it was frickin hilarious every time she’d say it.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

There's 2 kinds of stars: 1) the star that shows up when you play a radio station and 2) the 5-star ratings.
They tried to do away with the 5-star ratings, but people (rightfully so) complained, so they buried a roundabout way of getting to them back in Music.

In addition to these 2 meanings of stars, there's also hearts that I guess affects the For You and playlist stuff.

I don't know why the gently caress they don't just consolidate all this poo poo. It can get confusing as hell. It's also dumb as hell that it takes 2 taps to pick "play more of this" or "play less of this." Just add 2 buttons like Pandora, you dipshits.

I think you said it yourself. Consolidation can't happen because as soon as it does, people invested in the old way complain.

It is a shame the Love/Don't Like hearts are an extra tap away though, since it's kind of key to the whole recommendation engine thing.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Anyone else having issues on their iPhones where the “swipe down for search bar” feature doesn’t always search for your whole search string? Like for instance I’ll type in “restaurants that have fire side seating” and it’ll only search for “ restaurants th”. It’s not super frequent, but frequent enough to be annoying. Happens to both mine and my wife’s 8.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

MrBond posted:

I think you said it yourself. Consolidation can't happen because as soon as it does, people invested in the old way complain.

It is a shame the Love/Don't Like hearts are an extra tap away though, since it's kind of key to the whole recommendation engine thing.

The original 5 star ratings are the only correct choice :colbert:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Ok let’s break it down:
- When you say play some music what Siri is doing is starting an iTunes Radio station. This is where the stars come into play. Think of it as a Pandora/Spotify option. The stars are meant to curate that particular station to your liking. This entire system is completely separate from the love/dislike tag. Stars have no meaning outside of that particular station.
- When you say play Everlong by Foo Fighters Siri is grabbing the song directly from Apple Music (or your library). This is just playing that particular song, not a radio station. So no star shows up because it isn’t a station.
- Love/Dislike is available in anything you play through Music (even radio stations). It’s what Apple uses to curate the For You section which is what I think you’re after
- The For You section is basically where the hearts come into play. You get weekly playlists based on what you’ve liked/dislike in addition to having daily playlists on genres you like. It also has a what you play section where your stations should show up as well.

Okay that makes sense and all but what is the difference between

The radio station that is curated via stars that plays when I say “hey Siri play some music”

And

The playlists that appear at the top of “For You” in the Music app, that are apparently curated via hearts?

I mean, let’s start with radio station vs playlist. Are these not different names for the same things: a list of songs to play? I’m not talking about Beats 1 or anything with an actual host, ie a real radio station, but the one that plays when I say “hey Siri play some music.”

Im just really bad at finding music and branching out. I just want Siri to play me music that I like, including trying new music that I may or may not like, and I want to be able to mark songs I like to get Siri to get to know my tastes better. How can I get that?

e: Okay I think I get it now. I think I just don’t understand the “For You” section. All the stuff that shows up there is customized via hearts? It’s showing me a section called Wednesday’s Playlists for example, and a playlist called Alternative Hits: 2007. Is the entire playlist customized (as in your version of Alternative Hits: 2007 is gonna have different songs than mine) or is just what playlists show up customized (as in you don’t like Alternative Hits so this playlist doesn’t show up at all)?

I think my ideal use case would be to say “hey Siri play some music” to hear music that she curates for me, and I want to say “hey Siri I like this song” to get her to curate more music in that direction, and I want these “likes” to also affect both the playlists that show up in For You and also the songs within those playlists (if it does that). Unfortunately saying “hey Siri i like this song” to a song that she plays from “hey Siri play some music” doesn’t heart the song, only stars it :(

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Feb 14, 2018

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So AppleCare can be added to any iPhone within 60 days from original purchase date? Anything I’m missing there? I know it cannot be busted and the hardware is checked or whatever etc

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I think the only fully curated and algorithm created playlists are the New Music, Chill, and Favorites. The others are previously existing.

If you go to the Browse section you can go view all the playlists (broken down by mood, genre, etc...).

What I’ll do occasionally is load up one of the genre radios (under radio stations or genre in Browse). These are the pre-made stations, so no star systems but I do heart/dislike stuff as it comes through. Since I’ve been doing that my FY sections been pretty drat on point.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Over There posted:

Not sure about the new voice, but she used to call Norfolk, Nor-gently caress

Welcome to the mid-Atlantic, is this your first time? Would you like a glass of wudder?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

drat, looks like Apple Music is still a mess. I vastly prefer the way Google Music works and the playlists and radios it suggests are so much better.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The fact that we've been going on about stars and ratings for a page or two now indicates that they have a lot of goddamn work to do on Music.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The peek/pop gestures in Music are so awful. The amount of times I've tried to add a song to a playlist only for it to start playing that track and thus totally wiping the playlist I've been working on. Garbage!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

For as much as I hate some of AM, it’s still infinitely better than managing an actual library of MP3s and poo poo.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Vintersorg posted:

drat, looks like Apple Music is still a mess.
Yes.

quote:

I vastly prefer the way Google Music works
Ok.

quote:

and the playlists and radios it suggests are so much better.
No, not even close for me. No ones going to care about details, but I find it the worst out of everything for suggestions.

Also depending on where you are in the US it could be

Nor foke
Nor folk
Nor fck
Nor gently caress
Nor fork (good job, Nebraska)

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

just what playlists show up customized (as in you don’t like Alternative Hits so this playlist doesn’t show up at all)?

That one. As ManSedan said, your three totally custom playlists (New, Chill, Favorites) are directly affected by your hearts and listening history, but the recommended albums and playlists are just recommendations based on your likes and some special sauce.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Unfortunately saying “hey Siri i like this song” to a song that she plays from “hey Siri play some music” doesn’t heart the song, only stars it :(

The custom station's gone through a couple apparent iterations of A/B testing already, so if you don't like the way it works today...

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

No, not even close for me. No ones going to care about details, but I find it the worst out of everything for suggestions.

Same. Spotify's recommendations for me are accurate but incredibly samey, while I don't know what in the literal gently caress GPM is doing behind the scenes to give me — or my partner, who has used nothing but GPM for 5+ years at this point — the terrible recommendations it does. (And that's without even ranting about Google's war-crime-level abuses of album art.)

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 14, 2018

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

For as much as I hate some of AM, it’s still infinitely better than managing an actual library of MP3s and poo poo.

Yeah no kidding. I never want to go back to those days.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I like managing mp3's. :smith:

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

xzzy posted:

I like managing mp3's. :smith:

Same. I’m seriously considering upgrading an old iPod or two to SD cards and just going that route for my major music needs. I love Spotify, but mostly for finding new music

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Boris Galerkin posted:

Okay that makes sense and all but what is the difference between

The radio station that is curated via stars that plays when I say “hey Siri play some music”

And

The playlists that appear at the top of “For You” in the Music app, that are apparently curated via hearts?

I mean, let’s start with radio station vs playlist. Are these not different names for the same things: a list of songs to play? I’m not talking about Beats 1 or anything with an actual host, ie a real radio station, but the one that plays when I say “hey Siri play some music.”

Im just really bad at finding music and branching out. I just want Siri to play me music that I like, including trying new music that I may or may not like, and I want to be able to mark songs I like to get Siri to get to know my tastes better. How can I get that?

e: Okay I think I get it now. I think I just don’t understand the “For You” section. All the stuff that shows up there is customized via hearts? It’s showing me a section called Wednesday’s Playlists for example, and a playlist called Alternative Hits: 2007. Is the entire playlist customized (as in your version of Alternative Hits: 2007 is gonna have different songs than mine) or is just what playlists show up customized (as in you don’t like Alternative Hits so this playlist doesn’t show up at all)?

I think my ideal use case would be to say “hey Siri play some music” to hear music that she curates for me, and I want to say “hey Siri I like this song” to get her to curate more music in that direction, and I want these “likes” to also affect both the playlists that show up in For You and also the songs within those playlists (if it does that). Unfortunately saying “hey Siri i like this song” to a song that she plays from “hey Siri play some music” doesn’t heart the song, only stars it :(

Everything is tuned to your hearts/don't likes.

"siri play some music" Radio station - algorithm, theoretically infinite. probably analogous to 'your favorites mix'
genre radio stations (e.g. rock station, classical station, etc.) - curated. probably finite but with a really long play list
artist based radio station - algorithm. I personally find these will loop around. you can do "play more/less like this" like pandora, but I'd bet rating the songs with hearts is a stronger feedback mechanism.
Your [new music/chill/favorites] mix: algorithmic playlist. obviously finite, but respawns weekly.
"For You" tab: algorithm. Daily. Suggests stuff to you that you might like, including curated playlists from AM staff.

curated playlists - whatever the apple music staff feels like.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

LionArcher posted:

Same. I’m seriously considering upgrading an old iPod or two to SD cards and just going that route for my major music needs. I love Spotify, but mostly for finding new music

I'm happy with having it all on my phone, but iTunes is so completely broken now that I do almost all janitoring on the phone. This makes it hard to play music that isn't on the iTunes store, but I get around that by syncing a single playlist with iTunes and then shuffling those songs into my main playlists.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

xzzy posted:

I'm happy with having it all on my phone, but iTunes is so completely broken now that I do almost all janitoring on the phone. This makes it hard to play music that isn't on the iTunes store, but I get around that by syncing a single playlist with iTunes and then shuffling those songs into my main playlists.

Yeah, I really wish I didn’t have to use iTunes for poo poo like creating smart playlists or editing metadata. There’s no reason that stuff couldn’t be accomplished entirely within Music.app. I guess they don’t want to “overcomplicate” things but it’s not like Apple Music is a shining example of frictionless UX as it is.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Welp I sure am a consumer whore and selling out to Face ID. How much y’all missing thumb ID? I was getting tired of asking MY GF to send me dog pics or to use her camera when taking said dog pics

Ah, there we go.

Former iPhone 8 user now on an X, AMA

Wireless charging still owns

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Weedle posted:

Yeah, I really wish I didn’t have to use iTunes for poo poo like creating smart playlists or editing metadata. There’s no reason that stuff couldn’t be accomplished entirely within Music.app. I guess they don’t want to “overcomplicate” things but it’s not like Apple Music is a shining example of frictionless UX as it is.
Yeah there's lots of little things you still can't do directly on a phone for no good reason. For example Music.app doesn't recognize "year" tags at all as far as I can tell (I've tried messing with Siri too; seems like the phone just flat out doesn't recognize that data). I have a bunch of smart playlists for like '80s, '90s etc, but they can only be managed via iTunes. Fortunately I'm a huge music janitoring :spergin:/dinosaur so I'm using iTunes anyway, but if I wasn't I'd be pretty annoyed!

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Welp I sure am a consumer whore and selling out to Face ID. How much y’all missing thumb ID? I was getting tired of asking MY GF to send me dog pics or to use her camera when taking said dog pics

What does the touch/face id have to do with taking pictures? There's a button on the lock screen that requires no id

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Ah, there we go.

I just got an ipad and have to use TouchID again and I fuckingggg hate it. FaceID for life.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Ah, there we go.

That’s a good doggo right there.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Man, another thing that grinds my gears about the Apple Radio, is that if you dislike a song, that doesn't mean it will take it out of the play rotation. I've noticed a bunch of songs I've disliked that keep popping up again later. I don't understand the logic behind that whatsoever.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Man, another thing that grinds my gears about the Apple Radio, is that if you dislike a song, that doesn't mean it will take it out of the play rotation. I've noticed a bunch of songs I've disliked that keep popping up again later. I don't understand the logic behind that whatsoever.

Reason #1 I quit using it right here. It gets to a point where it just didn’t feel my choices were being taken into consideration.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Smart playlists are great and I don’t understand why Apple doesn’t advertise them at all.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dugong posted:

Smart playlists are great and I don’t understand why Apple doesn’t advertise them at all.

Maybe one day iOS devices will have the processing power to create and manage smart playlists. God knows they’ve only been a thing for like a loving decade.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I have a smart playlist called REPLACE THIS GARBAGE poo poo that hunts out all MP3s under 192kbit that have some how survived being in my collection for like 15+ years.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

I have a smart playlist called REPLACE THIS GARBAGE poo poo that hunts out all MP3s under 192kbit that have some how survived being in my collection for like 15+ years.

I laundered those all through iTunes Match ages ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dugong posted:

Because Apple can only look to the future. Once a feature is done it must never be visited again.

Both of their operating systems are riddled with awesome things that get ignored forever.