Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Save money on tunnelling costs by only requiring ½ the volume!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

~Coxy posted:

Save money on tunnelling costs by only requiring ½ the volume!

I mean, that's why airliners are cylinders instead of prisms…

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
Ah, well do I feel stupid. :D

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I wanted to believe. :smith:

So did I. I thought it was some sort of strange Soviet stuff.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SpannerX posted:

Ah, well do I feel stupid. :D

So did I. I thought it was some sort of strange Soviet stuff.

You can tell it's not a Soviet train because it's not constantly giving off dangerous sparks. Or on fire.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
ScotRail having some fun times in the Highlands this morning; reason for derailment - landslide

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Sprinters can float, right

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
Ran across this documentary following SP 4449's first run back into CA after working on the freedom train.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmF-GTpTzZY

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You can tell it's not a Soviet train because it's not constantly giving off dangerous sparks. Or on fire.

Just because it's giving off dangerous sparks or is on fire doesn't mean it's Soviet.

It could be British.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Lobster God posted:

Just because it's giving off dangerous sparks or is on fire doesn't mean it's Soviet.

It could be British.

Obviously you've never seen a Soviet train.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHaDDTIO0GM

In (post) Soviet Russia, locomotive fire you!

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 25, 2018

lordofthefishes
Mar 30, 2008

01000111 01010010 01000101 01000101 01010100 01001001 01001110 01000111 01010011 00100000 01000110 01000101 01001100 01001100 01001111 01010111 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001110 01000001 01000100 01001001 01000001 01001110 01010011

Lobster God posted:

It could be British.

Wouldn't that be giving off sparks or fire and not functioning?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Rude Dude With Tude posted:

ScotRail having some fun times in the Highlands this morning; reason for derailment - landslide

For some reason I'm remember the old Monty Python line "Well, you can't blame British Rail for that!"

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Washington derailment report is out. Pretty much as expected. Engineer was distracted by paperwork, missed the signs. Doesn't seem to be anything to do with the design or fast opening date.

https://jalopnik.com/engineer-in-deadly-amtrak-derailment-says-he-planned-to-1822420104

NTSB posted:

The engineer told investigators that he was aware that the curve with the 30 mph speed restriction was at milepost 19.8, and that he had planned to initiate braking about one mile prior to the curve.

The engineer said that he saw mileposts 16 and 17 but didn’t recall seeing milepost 18 or the 30 mph advance speed sign, which was posted two miles ahead of the speed-restricted curve.

The engineer said that he did see the wayside signal at milepost 19.8 (at the accident curve) but mistook it for another signal, which was north of the curve.

He said that as soon as he saw the 30 mph sign at the start of the curve, he applied brakes.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Cygni posted:

Washington derailment report is out. Pretty much as expected. Engineer was distracted by paperwork, missed the signs. Doesn't seem to be anything to do with the design or fast opening date.

https://jalopnik.com/engineer-in-deadly-amtrak-derailment-says-he-planned-to-1822420104

the engineer wasn't distracted by paperwork. the conductor, only in the cab to get qualified on the route, was reviewing paperwork.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

vains posted:

the engineer wasn't distracted by paperwork. the conductor, only in the cab to get qualified on the route, was reviewing paperwork.

ah my bad

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Saw this and thought I would share
http://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2018/01/25/speedy-china-railway-lon-orig-bk.cnn/video/playlists/mobile-digital-features/

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Also for those of you getting backpay on the new national agreement who were mad that they still taxed it so high, or those of you whom have not had it paid unto you yet:

some loving big timekeeping dude at one of the big Class A railroads posted:

"IRS regulations require employers to withhold the supplemental tax rate (25%) on all earnings defined as supplemental wages without regard to an employees W4 (except those claiming exempt). Supplemental wages include, but is not limited to such payments as back pay, signing bonuses, other bonuses, vacation in lieu, selling of bank days, etc. Claiming 99 deductions is not the same as claiming exempt, since the employee is stating they have 99 dependents rather exempt from taxes. Therefore, IRS regs regarding supplemental tax rates apply.

The 99 they claim will apply to their regular wages, but not to their supplemental wages. The only way to avoid tax withholding completely is by claiming exempt, and even then there can be exceptions such as an IRS order on the employee."

homebrew
Mar 13, 2007

Needs more (safer) beer.

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Obviously you've never seen a Soviet train.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHaDDTIO0GM

In (post) Soviet Russia, locomotive fire you!

"Vasili, she seems to be running a bit rich"

"Da."

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Ran across this on youtube. Pretty interesting intermodal yard shown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ4nshHnpI0

I think the more fascinating part to me is the rail motorway platform area.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Amtrak vs. CSX collision this morning, at least two fatalities.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/amtrak-passenger-train-collides-freight-train-sc-injuries/story?id=52826058

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

CTC was apparently down on the line and the freight was tied down. Possibly a switch was not realigned for the main. Pure speculation though.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

JuffoWup posted:

I think the more fascinating part to me is the rail motorway platform area.

its an expensive way to load trailers not designed for rail transport. the cheap solution is 'make everyone use trailers designed for rail transport' or, even more simple, make everyone use shipping containers.

but, there probably isnt a big push for containerization in europe because the loading gauge tends to prohibit double stacking. the economics aren't as appealing.

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015

Mother nature mistook it for a Pacer & tried to do the right thing.

Lobster God posted:

It could be British.
The Class 37s still in service are doing sterling work in this regard.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

What’s the benefit of high platforms? Connecticut just spent a lot of money on the Springfield line upgrading a bunch of stations from low (ground level) platforms to high ones, including elevated bridges to get from one side to the other.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

smackfu posted:

What’s the benefit of high platforms? Connecticut just spent a lot of money on the Springfield line upgrading a bunch of stations from low (ground level) platforms to high ones, including elevated bridges to get from one side to the other.

Are they high enough that you can walk right on to the train without having to go up a step? That's important for accessibility, since that allows someone with mobility limitations (i.e. a wheelchair user or someone pulling wheeled luggage) to get in the train easily and without assistance.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Yeah I believe it's actually a legal requirement for handicapped accessibility. That's how you end up with the stupid situation we have at some lightly used commuter rail stations where there is a wooden elevated platform 10 feet long with a 60 foot ramp up to it.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
Somebody posted this over on /r/trains in reference the Amtrak crash that involved the train with Republican Lawmakers on board. I have no idea if it's true but if I know anything about Class 1's and CSX's reputation, this wouldn't surprise me.

quote:

Those tracks were originally built by the Louisa railroad, later renamed the Virginia Central. The civil war did a number on it, so they merged with the Covington and Ohio to become the Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad. Later, through other corporate mergers this became part of the Chesapeake and Ohio Railway (note difference) which is what most people think of when you say "The C&O". Later, the C&O merged with other railways into CSX Transportation.

Now, why does this matter? The C&O, and CSX, for decades, have run loaded coal from West Virginia down the James River Branch (nice, easy grade) to Newport News to load on ships. The empties would travel west along this Piedmont subdivison in effect creating a loop between Richmond and Clifton Forge. The grades were worse, but for the empties it didn't matter, and the efficiencies of one way traffic won.

But, CSX management was greedy. The line needed lots of expensive maintenance, and CSX did not want to pay. The State of Virginia didn't want to pay either, since hey, CSX is a big company with a lot of money. In other locations CSX has simply sold the rails to a short line and then had them maintain it, but no one wanted to buy. So they tried a novel arrangement.

CSX leased the land to the Buckingham Branch for 20 years, but retained ownership. As part of the lease agreement CSX still gets to run all of their trains across it. But the Buckingham Branch then got to apply for Virginia funds to rehabilitate the railroad. After letting it deteriorate until Amtrak was moving at 20 MPH and the Amtrak route over it had the highest percentage of late arrivals in the Amtrak system the state finally stepped in and gave Buckingham Branch a grant of millions of dollars (I think over 2-3 years) for tie and rail replacement.

Mind you, CSX runs 8-10 trains a day over this route. Buckingham Branch themselves, 1 train 3 days a week. Amtrak, 1 train 3 days a week. But CSX managed to dump their maintenance costs on the taxpayers of Virginia rather than the corporate bottom line.

So when you read that the Buckingham Branch didn't maintain their signals, it was set up that way by CSX. They wanted it to be a corporate entity not them, and wanted it to get so bad that the taxpayers of Virginia would fix it. And, at the end of 20 years it all just reverts to fully CSX owned and operated.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

McDeth posted:

Somebody posted this over on /r/trains in reference the Amtrak crash that involved the train with Republican Lawmakers on board. I have no idea if it's true but if I know anything about Class 1's and CSX's reputation, this wouldn't surprise me.

That was just a grade crossing accident. It had nothing to do with any maintenance issues, it was some some idiots who got their truck stuck.

Axeman Jim
Nov 21, 2010

The Canadians replied that they would rather ride a moose.

inkjet_lakes posted:

The Class 37s still in service are doing sterling work in this regard.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Is that using an Alco prime mover or something? :v:

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008

iospace posted:

Is that using an Alco prime mover or something? :v:

Lucas electricals.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

CLAG AND THRASH

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Here's a gofundme (not mine!) to save the L&A 503 steam engine: https://www.gofundme.com/help-save-the-la-503-friends-of?viewc

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015

Sadly the one pulling the Network Rail train out of York on Sunday appeared to have the cleanest exhaust of any 37 I've ever seen.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

The class 37s in Train Sim are really loving clean in comparison

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Here's a gofundme (not mine!) to save the L&A 503 steam engine: https://www.gofundme.com/help-save-the-la-503-friends-of?viewc

Looks like they made it. Over $65,000 raised in less than 5 days

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

PremiumSupport posted:

Looks like they made it. Over $65,000 raised in less than 5 days

Not bad considering the goal got raised from $50k to $65k a day or two before the deadline.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

I've always liked the "I think I can I think I can" Class 37 cold start vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv_cGG56QA4

E: That might even be the same engine?

Itzena fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 25, 2018

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Interesting articles on the restoration of the UP Big Boy

https://www.up.com/aboutup/community/inside_track/steam-update-01-03-2018.htm

https://www.up.com/aboutup/community/inside_track/steam-update-03-22-2018.htm

Adbot