Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Pooned posted:

Eu4 is way more fun and with much greater potential than Eu2 and 3.

yo EU4 has been out for half a decade and has a million dollars of DLC out, "much greater potential" isn't applicable to a game that's been so fleshed out to the point people want the DLC model revised to have more dramatic changes.

Awful lot of people having wrong opinions on Victoria 1 (Better than 2 just more insufferable), Hearts of Iron 4 (boring), and Stellaris (always waiting for the next patch) in this topic. :colbert: The sequel we all need:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
While Ricky was fun Vicky 2 has a much more enjoyable alternative history feel with how you can manipulate the population into certain ideologies. Nothing more fun than leading the glorious communist France in taking over the world after they first unshackle themselves from the capitalists and monarchy. The only paradox game where revolutions and mass discontent are fun design.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Rynoto posted:

While Ricky was fun Vicky 2 has a much more enjoyable alternative history feel with how you can manipulate the population into certain ideologies. Nothing more fun than leading the glorious communist France in taking over the world after they first unshackle themselves from the capitalists and monarchy. The only paradox game where revolutions and mass discontent are fun design.

Yeah, I think it depends on what you enjoy most about the Victoria games. For me, political stuff was fun, but sort of second to industrialization; Victoria 2 is definitely the better game, but when it came to transforming your country from a rural, poor mess to a modern industrial behemoth, you had control over that in Ricky. In Vicky 2, it just..sorta happens. (And, of course, industrialization is a trap in Vicky 2, in pure economic terms).

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

orphean posted:

I liked March of the Eagles for what it was. Kind of a neat grand strategy meets groggy hex wargame. Total mid tier, agreed. I would've placed EU3 higher though :colbert:

MotE was too designed around multiplayer. It was a very barren experience SP. I think Paradox overestimated both how well their net code worked back then and how many people cared about multiplayer.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
EU4 was good at some point but is getting worse now because every DLC has some new lovely, pointless bar/resource.
CK2 got buried under it's DLC 3 years ago or so.

Stellaris and HoI4 are good games that are still in the phase where they get better with each DLC.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Autonomous Monster posted:

More, if anything, but they said they weren't the target audience for HOI these days, and yeah, a series that's all about this one specific cluster of wars in this one specific decade really is not the same sort of platform for alt-history shenanigans that Paradox's other games are.

Lol if you don't think Conclave made CK2 better than it's ever been* and lol if you don't think EUIV is slowly collapsing under the weight of all the extra systems they're grafting to it.

I think it's pretty clear at this point that the modular DLC model worked pretty well for CK, where there were a whole load of other religions/regions/time periods they could just weld on to it with minimal fuss, but they're really struggling to adapt it to their more tightly constrained series.

*The cult system in M&M was probably a mistake, I'll grant you.

I might be the only person with this opinion, but I think there's still room to expand ck2 forward in time. Especially with the way the council has worked for a while now, it still makes historical sense. A lot of the stuff that really happened to to the mid 1600s (let's say 1648) can easily be seen in terms of ck2 systems: the Scottish claims to the English throne, the further entangling of dynasties across Europe, the war of the three Henrys. Those are all things that I think are way more fun to see in terms of individuals and dynasties rather than countries that you control regardless of the dynasty that rule then.

Of course the varied nature of reformed Christianity would present some problems, but many elements can be borrowed from systems that are already present: national reformed churches can be autocephalous like the Orthodox churches or the can have a a caliph like Henry VIII.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I don't think anyone here is trying to call people that like Stellaris or HoI4 bads or whatever. It's just that some of the flaws in those games are so bad to us that it makes them bad games, to us.

That's fair.

Beamed posted:

Yeah, I think it depends on what you enjoy most about the Victoria games. For me, political stuff was fun, but sort of second to industrialization; Victoria 2 is definitely the better game, but when it came to transforming your country from a rural, poor mess to a modern industrial behemoth, you had control over that in Ricky. In Vicky 2, it just..sorta happens. (And, of course, industrialization is a trap in Vicky 2, in pure economic terms).

I will readily admit that my favorite part of V2, the autonomous economy you nudge towards success which has hard-to-notice knock-on effects on your pops, is objectively problematic game design and would probably be the first thing to go in a hypothetical V3.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
A while back HOI IV broke when AMD released a new driver. Does anyone know why Paradox couldn't fix that themselves?

It was pretty much the straw that broke the camel's back for me. I loved HOI IV, CK2 and EU IV (lesser extent, but I did find it better than EU3) to bits but after a year or so of rather underwhelming DLC releases I found it confirmation that they stopped caring. There was no official support at all, just the community supporting itself. All the staff would say about it was that we the players had to complain to AMD. It was hard to accept that Paradox couldn't fix it themselves on a product they were still actively developing. I really, really want to believe that Paradox literally couldn't fix their DirectX code while they waited for the AMD to release a driver fix.

I hope I don't come off as irrationally angry, I'm mostly just disappointed. If Paradox had taken it seriously I wouldn't be complaining like I am now. It was the lack of engagement or appearance that they cared that got to me.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I mean no some poo poo is actually just something the graphics card providers have to fix. Like, Nier Automata has/had a crashing issue that only NVIDIA could fix by pushing an update, etc etc. It's how things work.

like lmao at your take away being "AMD released a new thing and it's causing things to break, gently caress those things that are breaking"

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Gamerofthegame posted:

I mean no some poo poo is actually just something the graphics card providers have to fix. Like, Nier Automata has/had a crashing issue that only NVIDIA could fix by pushing an update, etc etc. It's how things work.

like lmao at your take away being "AMD released a new thing and it's causing things to break, gently caress those things that are breaking"

Sure it sucked that AMD broke a game, but it was one game. I just don't understand why Paradox couldn't fix it or explain in more detail why they couldn't. Was there a 'gently caress you, we hate HOI IV" instruction added to DirectX, would it require a complete rewrite of the engine, didn't own an AMD card to check? Why did CK2 and EU4 continue to work, they were on the same engine? Couldn't they patch in -opengl flag for AMD systems until it was fixed. They didn't even do the bare minimum and that is what was disappointing to me.

It was a substantial amount of time, 6 months+ I believe that their game didn't work properly on AMD systems.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
I can attest from personal experience as a developer in an unrelated game genre that unexpected engine upgrades will 100% bone you without notice and there is often nothing you can do short of camp their offices with protest signs.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Not to be too brutal but 'someone in another place hosed up our dependencies' is less unusual and more the most normal thing to happen in any kind of development

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Welp, picked up Heart of Darkness and went with the USA for my next playthrough.

3 years in and I helped Texas win it's war against Mexico, then annexed them. I figured out colonization and am currently going for the Manifest Destiny decision. Am I right in assuming the civil war is hardcoded almost into the system? I've been turning all of my new states into free states, and the CSA just keeps getting cores on all the southern states - rebel scum (I find I have to say that out loud whenever it pops up on my screen).

I've sphered all of Central America and am moving to South America now - the only other GP that I'm concerned about is Great Britain so I've been constantly increasing my relations with them. Is the creation of Canada a thing that happens?

Final question - after I've colonized a place, it tells me I need at least 1% bureaucrats before I can give it statehood. Is this something I can use a NF point for? I tried that in Oregon, and even after a year, I had no bureaucrats in place. I decided to just let them evolve naturally on their own for now.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
The Civil War is based on defined conditions occurring that unless you're actively trying to avoid them you're very likely to have fire. Canada usually does make an appearance in the form of Rupert's land and sometimes as Canada proper. NFing bureaucrats only works if your new territory already has people living in it who are capable of promoting upwards into the position - and even then it's only a bonus chance of promotion. Making sure they are, as a whole, receiving plenty of money every year while also making sure their needs are met will help grow the class.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I find that in most games Great Britian just slices off BC but keeps the rest of the country until almost right to the end of the game unless they are forced to ditch it. Don't blame them really - BC is pretty useless...

You'll want to keep your relationship with Great Britain at 100 or greater at all times. They will use their forces in Canada to gently caress you up if they think they can get away with it. Mexico on the other hand you'll want to take all the western states ASAP before they have a chance to ally with someone bigger. Your distance from the other European powers will still make it hard to find an ally. When going for the Seward's Icebox decision make sure Russia is not at war or they will refuse.

The Civil War is almost unavoidable but if you ban slavery in every new state that joins you will narrow their manpower and resources considerably when the event does fire. Just pick pro-abolition options where ever possible to whittle down their support even more. Try and avoid recruiting units from CSA core states as well as they will either vanish or flip sides during the rebellion.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 14, 2018

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah the Civil war is basically guaranteed to happen, although it CAN be avoided if you're able to outlaw slavery before the "the slavery debate" event fires. Once that happens the event chain that ends in the ACW has already started and all you can really do is delay it.

*The cult system in M&M was probably a mistake, I'll grant you.

I don't think it was a mistake but it wasn't super well implemented. They've tweaked it a bunch since release though so it's more manageable now.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 14, 2018

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

I somehow managed to avoid the Civil War in a multiplayer session with my friend by passing all the political reforms as well as social reforms. This of course includes proportional representation, universal healthcare, pensions, public education, and unemployment insurance. By the time I had those, I could force through the No Slavery reform.

Mind, I was trying to force the Civil War and I was making free states as well picking the abolitionist positions.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

That should be literally impossible unless you were playing before.... A House Divided, was it? Anyways, in one of the expansions, once The Slavery Debate event fires, it absolutely 100% prevents you from outlawing slavery until the Civil War happens so the only way to avoid it is to game the system and outlaw slavery super early before it can fire.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Rynoto posted:

I ranked Ricky low because I could not for the life of me figure out how anything worked and my Brazil playthrough was possibly the worst Paradox playthrough I've ever done.

I agree that Conclave is good and made CK2 better but India just makes the game lose focus on the relations between Europe and the Middle East and now they've added China which...no.

The best iteration of any game is whatever version of EUIV I played when I did my Byzantium run. I think it was right after Common Sense because the "flood the Dardanelles with galleys" strategy still worked.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Danann posted:

Mind, I was trying to force the Civil War and I was making free states as well picking the abolitionist positions.

The funny thing is by doing this you actually do have the best chance to avoid the civil war, since always taking the abolitionist stance can build enough support for the outlaw slavery reform that you might get it passed before the event fires. If you really want the civil war, it actually works better to take a more historical "compromise" approach even though it seems counter-intuitive.

I can't help but wonder now if this would have worked in real life, too.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

axeil posted:

Paradox Game Rankings

Where is Svea Rike :colbert:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
the civil war is pretty pointless in vicky 2 simply because you can disband all your dixie culture units and station your ethnic northern armies in key southern cities on the verge of war. it's better to hit the gas on the war and try to get it over with asap so you can spend additional years industrializing

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I can't help but wonder now if this would have worked in real life, too.

if there was an invisible intelligence pouring money from heaven into abolitionist groups, absolutely

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
The Civil War in V2 is a pitiful wet fart that you'll resolve in months, not years.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Most wars are like that in Victoria 2 really. I don't think I've ever had a Great War that actually lasted as long as the historical WW1. Even when Russia is involved as an opponent and it gets dragged out because I have to siege down so much territory (V2 really needs some kind of "send Lenin to Moscow" type mechanic), it still never lasts that long.

I think in general the Paradox warscore system isn't conducive to long, drawn out conflicts which is probably why HoI doesn't use it. Battles often spike one side to the cap for their contribution pretty quickly, which in V2 and EU is often enough to get them to accept your demands on its own.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 14, 2018

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah I always remember wars in V2 being these very short little intense things that are over by Christmas. They never really spiral out of control or turn into a slog, you make your plan, position your units, and quickly blitz through taking what you want and suing for peace.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Clearly yall have never fought a war as the underdog where you had to maintain static defensive lines just to survive. Granted the winning strat for that is to just bait their entire army into one battle and then surround them while you rotate your mans in and out based on the end of the month reinforcement tick, but still.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Most wars are like that in Victoria 2 really. I don't think I've ever had a Great War that actually lasted as long as the historical WW1. Even when Russia is involved as an opponent and it gets dragged out because I have to siege down so much territory (V2 really needs some kind of "send Lenin to Moscow" type mechanic), it still never lasts that long.

I think in general the Paradox warscore system isn't conducive to long, drawn out conflicts which is probably why HoI doesn't use it. Battles often spike one side to the cap for their contribution pretty quickly, which in V2 and EU is often enough to get them to accept your demands on its own.

In my US campaign I had the best war in any Paradox game I've ever played.

The Great War started because of French/Iberian border disputes and even though Germany was involved the Austro-Hungarians and Iberians were much more a factor than anyone else.

Entente
France
USA
Russia
Italy

Central
Germany
Austria-Hungary
Unified Iberia
UK
Canada
Australia
India

It was amazing and lasted nearly 15 years with an exhausted Entente winning after the capital of Iberia fell. There was a Russian/Austria-Hungary battle in the Carpathian Mountains that lasted something like a year and killed ~20% of their entire population.

The US annexed Canada and also I think Portugal or something crazy like that. The game was about 3 or 4 years ago so I don't remember much, I think I posted about it in the old thread.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

lol if you don't think EUIV is slowly collapsing under the weight of all the extra systems they're grafting to it.
I'm glad someone else notices this. I admire the attempt of the EUIV team to create all these new systems to take in more and more of historical reality. but the overall design--almost beautifully elegant at one point--is getting very baggy now.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

axeil posted:

In my US campaign I had the best war in any Paradox game I've ever played.

The Great War started because of French/Iberian border disputes and even though Germany was involved the Austro-Hungarians and Iberians were much more a factor than anyone else.

Entente
France
USA
Russia
Italy

Central
Germany
Austria-Hungary
Unified Iberia
UK
Canada
Australia
India

It was amazing and lasted nearly 15 years with an exhausted Entente winning after the capital of Iberia fell. There was a Russian/Austria-Hungary battle in the Carpathian Mountains that lasted something like a year and killed ~20% of their entire population.

The US annexed Canada and also I think Portugal or something crazy like that. The game was about 3 or 4 years ago so I don't remember much, I think I posted about it in the old thread.

Found it. The details were much different from what I remembered and I played as Russia, not the US.

axeil posted:

Victoria 2 is the best Paradox game: A tale of World War I

I hope you guys don't mind a monster post but I've had literally the greatest experience ever in a Paradox game and I need to share it.

I've been playing as a less brutal Russia and using the New Nations Mod (NMM). I've been educating the people, building trains, trying to get education high and not have things stray from an eventual liberal democracy. This worked and at the time of the Great War I'm a contitutional democracy with the Mensheviks in power.

Background

-Austria-Hungary split into its constituent states and then reformed
-Serbia jumped out of the Ottoman Empire and then formed Yugoslavia
-Germany formed very early (pre-1860 early) and was a full democracy
-The Ottomans got beaten so badly by me in the Crimean War they ceased to be a power of note
-The North seceded from the South in the Civil War and formed something called the Free States of America. Montana, the Dakotas and Idaho join the Confederates for some unknown reason :confused:
-The FSA/USA, CSA and Mexico swapped Sonora and Chihuahua back and forth for a few decades
-China consolidated itself into a unified empire in the late 1880s.

The Great War

(I got all the stats and date information from a nice little utility on the Paradox Forums called the Victoria 2 Save Game War Analyzer: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?689055-TOOL-Victoria-II-save-game-war-analyzer)

On October 23rd, 1908 Japan gets a bee in its bonnet about Formosa and goes to war with the consolidated Chinese Empire and its client states Mongolia and Tibet. Japan calls me in on March 6th, 1909 and I accept. This is when poo poo goes absolutely bananas.

-I can't possibly deal with the massive Chinese army so I call in the UK, France, Sweden, and the Netherlands who are all my allies.
-China calls in Germany its ally and this becomes a Great War
-My allies call in the British India states, Canada, the CSA, Colombia ( :wtc: ), the Ottoman Empire, Yugoslavia, Persia and Egypt thanks to the changes the NNM makes to Great Wars.
-Germany/China call in Spain, Italy, Austria-Hungary, the USA, Mexico, and Brazil
-All hell breaks loose

The Chinese Front

Japan has already landed troops in its client state Korea and has made some progress into Manchuria. Once I join in, China invades Siberia and Uzbekistan/Kazakhstan. I spend the next 2 years fighting my way through the Gobi desert and the areas around Vladivostok and Irkutsk to push back the Chinese. The UK invades from India and the three of us make our way to Peking and eventually capture the entire empire by the close of the war. The battles are all incredibly bloody but there weren't any particularly insane ones.

The French Front

Beset on 3 sides by the Spanish, Italians and Germans, France fights bravely on their own until about 1911 when the French army is encircled and wiped out. Germany and Spain occupy what they can while Italy wheels around to start dealing with Yugoslavia. Germany never attempts to invade England as its entire navy is sunk within the first 2 months of the war by the British fleet. Over 300 ships are sunk during the war. The UK tries to invade Spain a few times but can't manage to do anything of note. The Netherlands are overrun by 1910 and are able to peace out of the war with little lost other than a massive prestige drop. They don't even have to release Belgium or their colonies in the East Indies.

The Balkan Front

Yugoslavia holds its own against Austria-Hungary until France falls apart at which point the Yugoslav front utterly collapses. Yugoslavia is forced to sign a humiliating peace treaty and pay reparations in late 1911, although they too lose no territory. This then puts pressure on the Ottomans, who have sent an expeditionary force to siege Tibet and have no real defenses. I manage to move some soldiers back east from the Chinese front and save Istanbul by the skin of my teeth. After the siege of Istanbul fails, the German-Chinese Alliance ignores the Balkans and the Ottomans.

The American Front

In North America, Canada attempts to distract enough US troops by invading Minnesota and Maine to allow the CSA to capture Washington for about the 6th time since 1860. This almost works but the Confederates get held up by some rebels and as a result are unable to capture Washington before the USA mobilizes. The CSA is slowly eaten by Mexico and the USA and is forced to give back Oklahoma, New Mexico and Kentucky to the US. Mexico gets Texas :stare: plus its Mexican holdings returned. The borders are hideous since the CSA still holds Arizona. The US then captures everything in Canada but since it's a dominion of the UK no one cares. The entire US navy has been sunk about 7 times by now from the constant Mexico/CSA wars so they don't have a navy and can't do anything else.

In South America, Colombia shows promising initial gains but it all falls apart when their strategy involves sending their entire army through the Amazon. This goes very badly for them but they escape with only a Great War Capitulation CB enforced because what the hell would Brazil want from Colombia anyway?

The Russian Front

I have an army of around 350 divisions and I'm able to mobilize another 600 or so. I initially set a defensive line from Latvia down to the Carpathian Mountains to allow my mobilized divisions time to reach the front. This works wonders as the Germans have a lot of problems assaulting down my Polish holdings. By the end of 1910 they're starting to futilely throw men into a meat-grinder. I begin my assault by trying to capture the area around Königsberg. It ends up being one of the bloodiest battles of the war. 204,000 Germans intervene and try to break the siege of 296,000 Russians. The Germans take 77% casualties in the battle and I don't do much better, having lost nearly half my soldiers in the battle.

By the early part of 1911 I'm pretty much fighting the land war myself. Austria-Hungary has begun routing the Yugoslavs and so I'm forced to attack quickly into Austria-Hungary to attempt to relieve my ally. The flat areas east of the Carpathian Mountains fall quickly. But when I move into the mountains themselves I get a shock. The Austro-Hungarians have placed nearly 173,000 soldiers in wait for me. My initial attack force is obviously insufficient so I reinforce and by the end I've committed nearly 300,000 men. The Battle of the Carpathians rages on for two years. No I'm not joking. Over 300,000 men die. This battle utterly shatters their army and I'm able to occupy the country in a few months.

With Austria-Hungary neutralized I move in for the kill. I've been slowly marching in to Germany since the Battle of Königsberg, but I've had to plug holes in my lines due to German counter-attacks. With Berlin in sight, I take it in early 1912 and due to the invention of the tank I advance all the way to Bremen and Frankfurt.

The Treaty of Berlin

Once I've captured Frankfurt the last of the Chinese holdings fall and the German-Chinese Alliance sues for peace. There were over 25 battles that had more than 100,000 deaths. The German-Chinese Alliance lost 11.1 million men and the Russian-French-English Alliance has lost 8.5 million men for a total of almost 20 million dead. Our timeline's World War 1 only had about 9 million die between both sides combined. The existentialist movement in this timeline is going to be insane.

NMM's Great Wars end with an event that does a (mostly) sane break up of empires into constituent states. Colonies are also stripped off and given to the winners. I've included pictures so you can better get a sense of what happens next.

European Reconstruction

- Germany had its eastern provinces removed and made into new states. I picked up the rest of Poland so I could have pretty borders
- Austria-Hungary broke into Austria, Hungary, and Czechoslovakia
- Spain was carved up a bit as you can see from Leon and Galicia being their own states.
- Italy was, weirdly, left completely intact. The only thing they released was Trieste, which was surrounded by Yugoslavia anyway.

Chinese Reconstruction

-China got screwed. All of those states are independent. Mongolia joined my sphere, Tibet and Kashgaria joined the UK's and all the cliques hate each other. Japan did get Formosa in the end but otherwise no one gained any territory.

American Reconstruction

-America was forced to give up New England as an independent state and give back New Mexico
-Mexico gave up Sonora and Rio Grande as independent states and gave Texas back to the CSA
-Oddly enough, the CSA didn't get all their holdings back as Kentucky stayed with the USA. But at least they got Texas and New Mexico. Those borders were terrible for a few years :cry:

In 1916, 4 years after the war ends almost to the day, everything goes to poo poo in the Americas. Two new American states (the New American Alliance and the old FSA) pop up in the most random locations and the USA goes into a mass revolt. The USA had just voted in the socialists a few months before the revolts too.

The next year more states join the FSA and the Colorado Republic breaks off.

And then the CSA decides to go fascist for the hell of it. I'm guessing they're mad they didn't get any new territory out of the war. Rebels did end up giving them Rio Grande, Oklahoma, and two states with no pops that are disconnected from the CSA proper (Montana and North Dakota).

Meanwhile in Europe, Germany is having constant revolts between fascism and democracy. This is the 4th or 5th flip-flop I saw. Italy is also doing the same thing. Austria actually seems okay with not being an empire anymore since they only have about 20 brigades of rebels instead of the thousands I've seen in Germany and Italy. The stack on Berlin says "2K" if you can't read it.

The rebels in Russia were the Poles demanding their own country. I was very sad about this because I had been very nice to them the whole game and saved them from the horrors of whatever the hell was happening in Germany.

I ended up quitting the game right after this. In the year or so of game time since I last checked on America they have: had another state break away, somehow lost Utah of all places to Mexico and are about to have the entire Pacific coast break off. Oh and now the FSA is in a war with the CSA over Kentucky. Good lord.

Conclusion

I have no idea if the Great War mod that NMM includes is supposed to simulate the post-war turmoil in states that lose quite like this. I have never seen anything this nutty happen in a Paradox game that isn't named Crusader Kings. On top of this inter-war insanity, the Great War has got to be one of the best wars I've ever seen, it felt exactly like I was fighting WWI. I really, really hope if there's ever a Victoria 3 they implement these kind of mechanics because it was amazing.

axeil fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 14, 2018

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
See I'd love to see more stuff like that because one of the strengths of V2 and the pop system is you can actually see the consequences of a hellwar like that on your population. In most strategy games no matter how long the conflict lasts, it will likely take a fraction of the time for each faction involved to fully recover after it end. In V2 you'll both have a massively reduced population that needs to recover, but also most likely an economy that built up a lot of weapon and artillery factories to meet the wartime demand that will now become unprofitable and close (unless you subsidize them but you'll just be bleeding money by doing this), leading to a bunch of unemployed craftsmen until the economy can reorient to peacetime goods production. Those unemployed craftsmen will probably get pissed and join rebel factions because they can't meet their needs anymore, and if a country lost the war they're going to have a real hard time dealing with them since one of the conditions of the Great War capitulation CB is that they aren't allowed to build any new divisions.

I know that quite a bit of what's in that post is due to the NNM mechanics (specifically the "dissolve empire" result of losing a Great War, as well as all the crazy fictional/theoretical nations that can end up being released), but a lot of that is possible in the base game, and the stuff that isn't could be incorporated into a sequel without a lot of trouble (one of V2's weaknesses is that the AI doesn't know how to call in allies after a war has already begun - but they do know how to do this in EU4 and CK2)

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 14, 2018

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah most paradox games really abstract your actual population, even stellaris are just generic "pops" without numbers attached and war and starvation just sort of makes them fussy. EU4 is just painting the map different colours and waiting for your manpower to go up, sure some stats in the province might go down after a bad war or get a temporary penalty but only Victoria shows you the true impact of your hellwar.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

The Cheshire Cat posted:

See I'd love to see more stuff like that because one of the strengths of V2 and the pop system is you can actually see the consequences of a hellwar like that on your population. In most strategy games no matter how long the conflict lasts, it will likely take a fraction of the time for each faction involved to fully recover after it end. In V2 you'll both have a massively reduced population that needs to recover, but also most likely an economy that built up a lot of weapon and artillery factories to meet the wartime demand that will now become unprofitable and close (unless you subsidize them but you'll just be bleeding money by doing this), leading to a bunch of unemployed craftsmen until the economy can reorient to peacetime goods production. Those unemployed craftsmen will probably get pissed and join rebel factions because they can't meet their needs anymore, and if a country lost the war they're going to have a real hard time dealing with them since one of the conditions of the Great War capitulation CB is that they aren't allowed to build any new divisions.

Yeah if Victoria 3 ever gets made they really need to focus on making the post-war horror just as bad as the war. There also shouldn't be much rhyme or reason to which countries implode and which ones do okay.

In our timeline we saw the end of every monarchy, the Russian Revolution and the rise of fascism. In a timeline with a separated USA/CSA I'd imagine the changes would be even more drastic.

Since The Great War is nearly at the end of a Vicky 2 campaign I'd argue that this sort of country exploding craziness is more interesting than what you typically see post-war in a Paradox game since at this point a human player has probably done all they want to do.

axeil fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 14, 2018

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I got the Slavery Debate event in 1839, so now I'm just going to take advice I saw in the thread, and disband all of my southern units and only recruit northern regiments. I quickly conquered all of the core US territory from Mexico in about a year in a half.

I notice there's a lot of decisions that lower consciousness, and I know those are historical things. But is their only point to put off the Civil War? If I don't enact them, I'm guessing the war will happen much sooner.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
The HOI series also model populations but it has no real bearing on the game, aside from the number of people you can stuff into a uniform.

Running out of people has no negative effects on things like production. And things like population growth are meaningless in a game where someone born on the very first hour of the very first day would only be turning 14 by the time the game ended.

Stellaris POPs were intentionally left vague IIRC because they wanted to give people's imagination more latitude on what their societies were actually based on. I suppose in the end it doesn't really matter. Either you had enough people to run your factories and fight in your armies or you didn't. The actual number of people didn't matter.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 14, 2018

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lucas Archer posted:

I got the Slavery Debate event in 1839, so now I'm just going to take advice I saw in the thread, and disband all of my southern units and only recruit northern regiments. I quickly conquered all of the core US territory from Mexico in about a year in a half.

I notice there's a lot of decisions that lower consciousness, and I know those are historical things. But is their only point to put off the Civil War? If I don't enact them, I'm guessing the war will happen much sooner.

Basically, but there are a couple that are useful to take anyway. One gives you cores on Cuba at the cost of pissing off the Great Powers (but since the UK is the only one in a position to really threaten you it's easy to appease them). So it can be worth prolonging it a bit in order to get a nice territorial CB against Spain to use later.

The "The Slavery Debate" event is what starts the chain, but the "John Brown's Last Raid" and "Dred Scott v. Sandford" events both need to fire before the civil war can happen. Once you've seen the second of the two fire, that's when you should be ready for the war.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 14, 2018

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Anyone having short wars in Vicky 2 needs to play multiplayer. Our Great Wars put the real WWI to shame.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Klingon w Bowl Cut posted:

Anyone having short wars in Vicky 2 needs to play multiplayer. Our Great Wars put the real WWI to shame.

Nothing better than finally putting together a coalition to knock the socks off the resident world police.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
I love Stellaris but that is one of my gripes with it, how little damage wars do. A War in Heaven should be massive pop-death, ruined planets, unrest and death everywhere. I wouldn't mind a manpower system drawing from the pops in the Empire, that would sometimes means loosing whole pops due to losses in ground/space combat.

Armagedon seems to be moving towards this so i hope it goes all out on it.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Noir89 posted:

I love Stellaris but that is one of my gripes with it, how little damage wars do. A War in Heaven should be massive pop-death, ruined planets, unrest and death everywhere. I wouldn't mind a manpower system drawing from the pops in the Empire, that would sometimes means loosing whole pops due to losses in ground/space combat.

This touches on one problem I have with Stellaris tech. Namely that very little of it feels meaningful. Oh, sure, battleships are stronger than corvettes, but it's still just Build Ship With Gun. High tech should be *weird*. It should be fundamentally different from what early-space civilizations can achieve. Fallen Empires should barely even *have* fleets. They should throw suns at hostile systems, edit the fabric of reality to delete threats, broadcast signals that kill billions of your people. A ringworld created by an end-tech civilization should have the power and population of entire empires. But no, they went with "Standard 4x" stuff with a couple minigames bolted on. The secret technology of species that once ruled the galaxy and possess a million years of secrets is... "slightly larger spaceship"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Noir89 posted:

George RR Martin's sci-fi stuff often has genetically engineered plagues deployed by warring galactic superpowers as the backstory for things going on