Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also the Land is called the Duchy of Eternia so naturally it has a Duke as we have now seen.

Naturally he is also one of the Coucil of Six but has taken such a distant role in the Country that he never even met two of the newer members.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Sterling government system they have there.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Victor and Victoria's simulatneous death quote is a nice touch. It's a shame the Barras and Holly battle doesn't have it (Greyarc doesn't show any so I don't remember if they even have death quotes at all). Does the Khamer and Khint battle have it?

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Feb 13, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I don't think so. I believe I tried that fight.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Here we see what might be Braev's biggest mistake that didn't involve hiring sociopaths - claiming that the sudden darkness-encrusted and monster-possessed state of the crystals, which was wrecking the planet, is natural.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

And this is the part where yelling "why don't you god drat morons explain anything" at my DS commenced in earnest.

You're more patient than me, I've been screaming at the LP since Kami-Izumi at least.

Pureauthor posted:

The double kill dialogue for Victor and Victoria is a nice easter egg.

Braev continues to be a moron.

Checks out. He's Braev after all, not smart.

E: although I'll forgive duke Alucard I'm-absolutely-not-a-vampire DeRosso (any relation?) for not saying poo poo. If he had to explain things to stupid mortals he'd die of old age before he'd be done.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Feb 13, 2018

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also the Land is called the Duchy of Eternia so naturally it has a Douche as we have now seen.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

To be fair, DeRosso hasn't really talked to the party yet beyond blowing them up on his way to make a visit to Braev.

Also, it's a little strange that his name is so similar to DeRosa's.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Blademaster_Aio posted:

Wouldn't splitting the jobs by division be something like

1: WM, BM, Knight, Monk
2: Thief, TM, Merch, Spell fencer (or whatever)
3: RM, Valkyrie, Ranger, Summoner
4: Swordmaster, Ninja, Pirate, Performer, Salve maker

5: All the other jobs

So of those.

Time Mage, Merchant, Red Mage, Performer and Salve Maker are all strong enough to break the game over their knee. And there are a couple more jobs coming that can do it as well.

You need to draw one really, otherwise the game is going to be really quite difficult. It puts the odds of a hard run at around 13.5% which is mostly acceptable.

That said, the upgrades you get to special attacks from Norende do a lot to make up the power differential if you're inclined to use them.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

To be fair, DeRosso hasn't really talked to the party yet beyond blowing them up on his way to make a visit to Braev.

It's been long enough since we've seen the red mage that I didn't even realize these two had different names.

Commander Keene posted:

I think this comic sums up the first half of the game rather nicely.

First... half? We're only halfway through this? Good god.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

It's hard to convey just how utterly shattered Victor's voice is if you defeat Victoria first.

Speaking of broken things, we've also now got the single most broken Job in the game.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

I got the impression Victoria was Victor's only reason for living.

That's kind of sad and depressing. And terrible too.

I've got pretty big issues with how no one explains anything.

I think the second game is so much better about this, so I like it more.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Guess who kept confusing the two for most of the rest of the game after meeting DeRosso?

hey girl you up posted:

Maybe more like 2/3? The rest of the game will probably feel shorter in the LP than it will actually playing it, though.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

It's hard to convey just how utterly shattered Victor's voice is if you defeat Victoria first.

Speaking of broken things, we've also now got the single most broken Job in the game.

We had salve-maker for a while.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

cdyoung posted:

We had salve-maker for a while.

Salve maker is just one of the awesome things you have.

Stillness is also pretty awesome.

The power of party synergy is the true game breaker here.

hey girl you up posted:

It's hard to tell because there is lots of talking left.

It all depends on how many sidequests you're willing to do, but I think we'll get to see all of them.

And there is talking.

Blademaster_Aio fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 14, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Arcanist is kinda trash as far as I've been able to tell, but Spiritmaster is one of the most :getin: jobs of the game.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Arcanist is kinda trash as far as I've been able to tell, but Spiritmaster is one of the most :getin: jobs of the game.

Arcanist is an attempt to make Black Magic relevant again at this stage of the game, and it'd probably succeed if the power in Bravely Default was taking one thing and just maxing the hell out of it. It's got some combos that just make Black Magic do humongous numbers and can trivialize random encounters (although we're hitting the part of the game that's getting less and less important) but BD is more about real cross-class synergies then just stapling one class onto another class as kind of an expansion pack, and Arcanist suffers for it. It's not much of a job without Black Magic, and being this late in the game means you usually have something better to do then just make a swole as gently caress Black Mage.

Spiritmaster fares better, but that's in part because it gets to just turn off some fights completely and one of it's abilities in particular is very quietly probably the most broken ability in Bravely Default. It's also not strapped to White Mage the same way Arcanist is to Black Mage, so it gets to actually try and be flexible and work into builds instead of being forced into one strategy.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Arcanist’s only saving grace is that it’s main form of attacking is cheapest out of the offensive spellcasters... but even that’s kind of negated by Black Mage’s Osmose.

Plus it’s probably got Ranger beat for “goofiest costume”.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Regalingualius posted:

Plus it’s probably got Ranger beat for “goofiest costume”.

This is true. On the flip side, Spiritmaster is not only great mechanically but has great costumes.

1234567890num posted:

Victor and Victoria's simulatneous death quote is a nice touch. It's a shame the Barras and Holly battle doesn't have it (Greyarc doesn't show any so I don't remember if they even have death quotes at all). Does the Khamer and Khint battle have it?

If I recall, Khint and Khamer just have their separate dialogues shown in the LP and collapse one after another.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Greyarc posted:

On the flip side, Spiritmaster is not only great mechanically but has great costumes.

Truly, Victor was too good for this world.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

...Minus the whole "enabling and encouraging a half-squirrel child to be a murderous psychopath" part.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Arcanist is fine but Spiritmaster sets up some real nasty combos.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
Arcanist trivializes every mob encounter from here on, and works well on a whole lot of bosses, too. It's great for grinding job levels.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, I remember you can copy Vickie's Poison/Exterminate trick to murder pretty much everything.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

I have honestly forgotten what the arcanist outfits looked like. Was it clowns?

I always thought it was a difficult job to use so I never really bothered.

To be honest, I didn't want to bother with spiritmaster either, but they have some very nice outfits. Yeah, I was one of those people who didn't use that one broken skill, mainly because I found some other nice skills to play with.

I think I was too busy spamming items via salve maker, and that other skill, of a job we don't have yet.

Dealing damage and healing off it was my whole thing, couldn't really synergize that with stillness. Dark knight skills.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Blademaster_Aio posted:

foxes actually.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Blademaster_Aio posted:

It's basically just Victoria's outfit.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It's basically just Victoria's outfit.

Oh yeah, I remember something like big giant pigtails.

It sure was something. Something that didn't suit Agnes.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also the Land is called the Duchy of Eternia so naturally it has a Duke as we have now seen.

Naturally he is also one of the Coucil of Six but has taken such a distant role in the Country that he never even met two of the newer members.

My takeaway from this part was always that Braev basically forced him into retirement. Either just chill in the castle and drink wine/blood/whatever all day, Archduke deRosso, or you might not see your 2,500th birthday. I don't think deRosso was out of the picture due to lack of interest so much as that Braev pulled a coup of some sort.

I love that he has this air of total condescension towards Braev, like a parent who let his kid housesit and found the whole place busted up.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Patter Song posted:

My takeaway from this part was always that Braev basically forced him into retirement. Either just chill in the castle and drink wine/blood/whatever all day, Archduke deRosso, or you might not see your 2,500th birthday. I don't think deRosso was out of the picture due to lack of interest so much as that Braev pulled a coup of some sort.

I love that he has this air of total condescension towards Braev, like a parent who let his kid housesit and found the whole place busted up.

My takeaway was... not this. I mean, based on a few pieces of information.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, granted, that's more because of info that doesn't get revealed for quite some time to come.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Okay, that's getting firmly into spoiler territory again. Saying X doesn't happen because of ~spoilers I'm not supposed to tell~ is not only frustrating for people coming in blind, but is a spoiler itself by your rejection of those people's theories.

Just let those coming in blind have a bit of harmless guessing.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Alright, fair enough, my apologies on that.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Basically my point was that the coup was staged against the Orthodoxy. Which means, the one in power before and the ones calling the shots was the Orthodoxy. Like how they decided to quarantine a village because of the plague.

Even from this conversation, DeRosso says 'All great deeds we failed to accomplish.'

Meaning he was never on the side of the Orthodoxy.

The coup was against an entire system - so naturally some changes in titles and seats were needed.

He still has a place on the council of six. And all he did was watch from the shadows, like he just said in that conversation.

I never got the impression that his power was taken away from him from this conversation.

Gihyou
Feb 19, 2011

Oh God no the ball is gone.
Goddamn, it felt like that Braev and Edea scene was the perfect time to explain something, anything, but of course he just leaves with, "You'll stay here until you understand." With Braev, that will be a very long loving time if we wait on him to explain all his evil poo poo.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Blademaster_Aio posted:

I never got the impression that his power was taken away from him from this conversation.
The "And now, fifteen years have passed since you rid yourself of me by naming me archduke" line does seem to imply it at least. Maybe not taken away from him, but he might have been moved out of the way.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I wonder if the white magic circulation was preventing Vlad (not a vampire) from showing up in the capital at all.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Mr. Locke posted:

Arcanist is an attempt to make Black Magic relevant again at this stage of the game, and it'd probably succeed if the power in Bravely Default was taking one thing and just maxing the hell out of it. It's got some combos that just make Black Magic do humongous numbers and can trivialize random encounters (although we're hitting the part of the game that's getting less and less important) but BD is more about real cross-class synergies then just stapling one class onto another class as kind of an expansion pack, and Arcanist suffers for it. It's not much of a job without Black Magic, and being this late in the game means you usually have something better to do then just make a swole as gently caress Black Mage.

Spiritmaster fares better, but that's in part because it gets to just turn off some fights completely and one of it's abilities in particular is very quietly probably the most broken ability in Bravely Default. It's also not strapped to White Mage the same way Arcanist is to Black Mage, so it gets to actually try and be flexible and work into builds instead of being forced into one strategy.

The main issue with a "Random Encounter Clearing" job is...we can literally just turn off random encounters.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Silegna posted:

The main issue with a "Random Encounter Clearing" job is...we can literally just turn off random encounters.

Does make it a good job during grinding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Let's Learn Jobs: Arcanist

At first glance, Arcanist looks like it should be the successor to Black Mage, but it's better summed up as Black Mage Supplement. Arcanists provide solid magic-oriented buffs and specialize in attacks targeting the entire battlefield, both enemies and allies.

Arcanist doesn't have any direct ancestral job. They fit the role of FF3's Magus somewhat due to their buffs to black magic. The use of battlefield-wide abilities could also be compared to Geomancers or Tactic's Calculators, both of which have attacks which vary or trigger depending on extra factors.

The men's hat is the job icon. The skull represents the job command because of its popular use in black magic and hell, you're going to be ending some video game lives in a horrific fashion if you play this job, so you'd better own it.

The upside is that you inherit Victoria's spell-casting talent. The downside is that you inherit the physical capabilities of Victoria. Arcanists have the highest intellect and one of the largest MP pools. They're also not shabby with white magic, if for some reason you want to combine the two. Just don't be surprised when smacking things with a rod hits for one damage.

Blue are support abilities, red are skill abilities.

Level 1 - Corpse: Inflict Doom on target, 75% chance. (4 MP)
Level 2 - Black Magic Amp:costs 50% more MP and deals 25% more damage. (Cost: 1)
Level 3 - Exterminate: Poisoned allies and enemies take dark damage. (4 MP)
Level 4 - Absorb M. Damage: Allows other jobs to equip the Arcanist specialty. (Cost: 1)
Level 5 - Twilight: Sleeping allies and enemies are instantly killed. (9 MP)
Level 6 - Save BM MP: Black magic MP costs reduced by 25%. (Cost: 2)
Level 7 - Sacrifice: Sacrifice 25% of max HP to increase M. Atk by 50% for three turns.
Level 8 - Zero: Magic damage raised 50% when last digit of current MP is zero. (Cost: 1)
Level 9 - Convergence: Group-only magic damage increases 50% but is now single-target. (Cost: 3)
Level 10 - Annihilation: Allies and enemies with negative BP take dark damage. Damage increases with less BP. (4 MP)
Level 11 - Status Ailment Amp: Chance of inflicting status ailment increases. (Cost: 1)
Level 12 - Iniquity: Allies and enemies with positive BP take dark damage. Damage increases with more BP. (4 MP)
Level 13 - Max Black Magic: Black magic MP costs doubled but damage increased by 150%. (Cost: 3)
Level 14 - Interment: Deals heavy dark damage to all enemies. (25% of max MP)

Note that a couple of Arcanist's abilities require status effects to trigger (as in Victoria's Poison -> lethal damage combo). Since the job doesn't have a way to apply those status effects itself, Arcanists rely on other jobs such as Black Mage to make full use of their potential.

Recovers HP equal to 25% of magic damage taken. Might be situationally useful, but most party strategies would focus on other, more efficient methods of damage mitigation.

These outfits have a striking black/white/red color palette and are very...unique. The style evokes a mythical fox-like creature, with long 'ears' formed by either conical hats with twin poms (for men) or twin ponytails (for women), combined with tails attached to the back of the outfit. The front of the men's full-body suit has what appears to be a stylized picture of a lotus - a symbol of purity born from dirty roots. The women wear mini-dresses with diaper-like bottoms, which perfectly capture the disturbing memory of Victoria somehow winning that most beautiful woman competition. What the hell game.

A better view of the tail:

Greyarc fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 23, 2018