Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
handmaiden kerillian herself is still a massive jerk and that is what honestly you should think about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Coolguye posted:

kerillian herself is a massive jerk

This is so redundant I wonder if you've ever actually played the game...

If the Handmaiden version is extra sanctimonious when resurrecting, I will pretty much only play as her.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Still not 100% sold on chaos, but that ratfighting looked correct as hell my GOD. :stare:

I like the new incidental and taunting animations they've added, as well as made swarms feel more... jumbly. Larger packs of skaven could mush and clip into each other which was fine enough because it made hard CC weapons a joy to use, but crowds look a lot more like crowds and not waves, which is neat. Each individual model just looks and responds a lot more solidly in this.

Coolguye posted:

block+revive was still in as of the last technical beta. that said, blocking still works 360 degrees, but if you are not blocking in an optimal arc in front of you (usually about 90 degrees) it requires extra stamina to perform the block. 3 shields goes awfully fast if you're getting nipped in the back.

I... really like that, actually.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Willie Tomg posted:

I... really like that, actually.
yeah there's a number of things i had issues with in the beta (which i will refrain from commenting on since half of the point of the beta was to collect feedback on what didn't work), but there's very clearly been a ton of thought that's gone into the particulars of how the game plays since VT1 and i'm a pretty big fan of most of the solutions they came up with.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Coolguye posted:

yeah there's a number of things i had issues with in the beta (which i will refrain from commenting on since half of the point of the beta was to collect feedback on what didn't work), but there's very clearly been a ton of thought that's gone into the particulars of how the game plays since VT1 and i'm a pretty big fan of most of the solutions they came up with.

One thing all the various weapon rebalances (and really, the base game) gave me is an impression that Fatshark takes the actual game design part of making a game really seriously and that they're very good at it, overall.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yes, almost every change they made was for the better, and the base mechanics of Vermintide today are just night and day superior to those at release. Sure there were a couple individual patch changes I didn't agree with, but that's to be expected, and it would probably be a BAD sign if their game design sensibilities lined up 100% with some random idiot on the internet. Hitting rats is great.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I have hundreds of hours in a game about hitting rats with axes and swords because they somehow made an exceptionally deep, fun combat system out of 'light combo, heavy combo, block, push, and dodge'.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Willie Tomg posted:

Still not 100% sold on chaos, but that ratfighting looked correct as hell my GOD. :stare:

I like the new incidental and taunting animations they've added, as well as made swarms feel more... jumbly. Larger packs of skaven could mush and clip into each other which was fine enough because it made hard CC weapons a joy to use, but crowds look a lot more like crowds and not waves, which is neat. Each individual model just looks and responds a lot more solidly in this.

you know I complained when I saw that the 2h hammer only hit 3? targets before recoiling in a video of the new game, and got pretty worried that they would remove infinite target CCs entirely, but it could actually be a pretty reasonable thing to do if they keep enemies from blobbing together the way they do in the first game. Attacks that stagger infinite enemies are basically required to keep your sanity in vermintide 1 because hordes just turn into an unintelligible mass that occasionally shoots out a pointy thing that hurts you if you don't constantly batter it into submission, but if you can actually clearly see each enemy at all times now, maybe this is a change will work out

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I also enjoy that the game with the best first-person melee combat in existence is somehow a left 4 dead-like based on the empire vs. skaven in warhammer fantasy of all things

?

?????

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

ive bought this game and played it a bit

and somehow it is

good?

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

Digirat posted:

I also enjoy that the game with the best first-person melee combat in existence is somehow a left 4 dead-like based on the empire vs. skaven in warhammer fantasy of all things

?

?????
Agreed but Chivalry has the best first person melee combat in existence

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Digirat posted:

?

?????

It's also weirdly accurate to how high level PCs in the TTRPG play. You might start out as a bunch of thugs and ratcatchers and poo poo, but by the time your characters are Witch Hunters, Imperial Champions, etc what happens in Ubersreik is basically how TTRPG adventures go, down to blending dozens of rats. The Ratfight crew is pretty much just an average 3rd tier party.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

Agreed but Chivalry has the best first person melee combat in existence

utterly ruined by spinnign retards doing pirouettes and poo poo to min/max their pixel placement

chiv is a great game besides that tho :(

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Zeno Clash does first-person combat pretty well too, and it has Father-Mother! :D I didn't watch the other characters' review videos, do they all have special skills as well?

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Statutory Ape posted:

ive bought this game and played it a bit

and somehow it is

good?

Liar!

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Bogart posted:

Zeno Clash does first-person combat pretty well too, and it has Father-Mother! :D I didn't watch the other characters' review videos, do they all have special skills as well?

Zeno clash is the only game in existence that features first-person suplexes with their grappling mechanic.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

ChickenHeart posted:

Zeno clash is the only game in existence that features first-person suplexes with their grappling mechanic.

I need to go reinstall and try to play Zeno Clash now.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

ChickenHeart posted:

Night10194 posted:

I need to go reinstall and try to play Zeno Clash now.

Same, I have never heard of Zeno Clash before, but now have a burning desire for it.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Bogart posted:

Every class gets one passive and one active.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Release date is March 8th

Pre-order beta starts Feb 28th.

They're confident!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah, that's sooner than I expected.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I am excited to fight eighteen million rats.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Less than a month away wow :discourse:

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
I'm cautiously optimistic for 2. No lie to say that VT is probably one of my favorite dedicated multiplayer games (which, I admit, isn't saying much since I don't play tons of MP games). Worried a bit about some of the classes, but at least the WH Captain looks to be exactly in my wheel house.

Statutory Ape posted:

utterly ruined by spinnign retards doing pirouettes and poo poo to min/max their pixel placement

chiv is a great game besides that tho :(

Also, the community was loving atrocious, at least in my experience. Fun to play though.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Fire Barrel posted:

I'm cautiously optimistic for 2. No lie to say that VT is probably one of my favorite dedicated multiplayer games (which, I admit, isn't saying much since I don't play tons of MP games). Worried a bit about some of the classes, but at least the WH Captain looks to be exactly in my wheel house.

What worries you about the classes?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

I dont know posted:

Same, I have never heard of Zeno Clash before, but now have a burning desire for it.

Zeno Clash has an amazing art style, neat first person combat, and a loving weird story worth seeing through. Highly recommended.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Very curious to see if progress made in the preorder beta will carry over to the release.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

PantsOptional posted:

Very curious to see if progress made in the preorder beta will carry over to the release.

I think they did so for the first game.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Are there gonna be any more varied mob types to fight in the sequel? Thats one gripe i have from the original is the lack of variation there

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Lunethex posted:

Release date is March 8th

Pre-order beta starts Feb 28th.

They're confident!

awsome. on all platforms or just pc for now? doesnt really matter(gently caress yeah new pc) but just curious.

Edit. saw new trailer. ok time to preorder.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 14, 2018

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
My big gripe was that they don't scale objectives to the number of human players. Playing solo with three AIs? gently caress you, there are four chains and the AI isn't going to help you break even one of them.

I get that it's basically a multiplayer game, but if you're going to give the option to play solo at least put the minimal effort of quartering the hitpoints of "beat up these inanimate object" objectives, or quartering the number of "move this to here" objectives if you're not going to have AI players help with them at all.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Statutory Ape posted:

Are there gonna be any more varied mob types to fight in the sequel? Thats one gripe i have from the original is the lack of variation there

There's something like double the enemy types and what sounds like actual bosses this time around, so yeah.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

PantsOptional posted:

It will

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

Statutory Ape posted:

There's chaos warriors now in addition to skaven, a bunch of new specials, and some unique bosses. So deffo

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Have they put out any detailed information about the other hero classes other than the elf spotlight video?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Dang that sounds cool. My biggest gaming regret is not playing this one more

Oh, also all those times i failed to save the Redemption from the Warspite

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Ravenfood posted:

Have they put out any detailed information about the other hero classes other than the elf spotlight video?

Yes, it's on their website. No videos though.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

White Coke posted:

Yes, it's on their website. No videos though.

I meant more about their passive/active abilities since some of that was new information. Seems not.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

does this game or the sequel have any healer types

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Statutory Ape posted:

does this game or the sequel have any healer types

What would you need healers for? Lettin the rats poke you? Quit jumping around, you look ridiculous, lumberfoot!

• Locked thread