Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Rocksicles posted:

John Carter is a good movie.

Throw your stones.

John Carter was a better version of Avatar which was also an hour shorter, making it the best version of Avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
John carter was trash

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

ATP_Power posted:

I'm still bummed that they never released the Belter creole version of "Tighten Up" they used in the first episode.

Syfy did a bad job putting together the trailer (and like, making TV shows for the longest time) so I was a skeptic on the show going in, but drat if that scene didn't get me on board.

sebmojo posted:

Just watched the first couple of Altered Carbon, and that's some good gritty hypernoir cyberpunk if you're looking for such. Thread over here.

My expectations on this were also pretty low and so I've been pleasantly surprised (just finished up Episode 8). It can still be a bit hit or miss in terms of dialog but they do a really good job of selling the 'runaway technological progress stripping us of our humanity' theme. The violence and nudity are over the top but they kinda have to be.

quote:

John Carter

John Carter Was OK I Guess

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Also they do have the UHD season two available as well on Amazon. It's stupid hard to find, I did a Google search for it and used that link.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Am I supposed to like Amos? He seems mostly creepy and horrible

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

shovelbum posted:

He is, like, the third best character and you'll see why soon enough. Second being Avasarala and First being Drummer, obviously

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Outwardly, he's cheerier and less haunted in the books. Whether that's more or less creepy is debatable.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

shovelbum posted:

"like" is a complicated question. Best place on the issue is somewhere between rooting for him and :stonklol: at what he does.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I like book Amos better than show Amos, but he's 100% supposed to come off as a sociopath either way because he, uh, is. He gets more character development later on, and he's definitely competing for second place in my character rankings (number one being an absolutely uncontested Avasarala, ofc).

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

unofficial rankings

1) avasarala
2) amos
3) miller
4) bobbie
5) alex
6) fred
7) drummer
8) Naomi
9) Dawes
10) Prax
11) Errenwright
57) Diogo
58) Jules-Pierre Mao
59) Jim

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Crazycryodude posted:

I like book Amos better than show Amos, but he's 100% supposed to come off as a sociopath either way because he, uh, is. He gets more character development later on, and he's definitely competing for second place in my character rankings (number one being an absolutely uncontested Avasarala, ofc).

I like them both and agree book version is better but only because there's been more characterization over all the books. But in defense of the show version, Wes Chatham was a brilliant casting choice. He was a huge fan of the books before the show was a thing and he totally gets what Amos is all about.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
He's an interesting character and it's a good portrayal but getting stuck on a merchant ship with that kind of guy like they were at the start of the story is very high on my list of personal nightmares

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Am I wrong in figuring that Amos had a similar thing done to him as the nanoinfomatics guy? Or is he just supposed to be a natural sociopath?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Drummer is the best character because she likes to drink and shoot motherfuckers

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Zurui posted:

Am I wrong in figuring that Amos had a similar thing done to him as the nanoinfomatics guy? Or is he just supposed to be a natural sociopath?

I mean I don't think we have 100% proof, but it's almost certain that he's a natural sociopath due in large part to his upbringing in the slums of Baltimore (violence, sex trafficking, etc.). The nanoinfomatics guy got the procedure done as part of career progression in a R&D field, which doesn't seem in character for a guy like Amos. It seems like a relatively sophisticated (and possibly illegal or proprietary) procedure, and I don't recall seeing any soldiers with a similar profile as that guy.

Jesse Iceberg
Jan 7, 2012

Pretty sure he's meant to be just a natural sociopath and recognised a kindred spirit in the nanoinformatics guy.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

It really jumps off two small moments for me. The first is when Fred Johnson says he's seen quite a few trigger-happy boys like Amos. The second is when Amos asks if the magnetic procedure can be reversed. It seems like a personal moment for him, for some reason, like he's connected to it.

I mean, it's not a lot but it figures for me.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
he didn't have his brain modified like scientist man, he turned out the way he is because he had to be that kind of person to survive.

edit:

https://twitter.com/SAghdashloo/status/963874606476963840

uber_stoat fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 14, 2018

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Zurui posted:

It really jumps off two small moments for me. The first is when Fred Johnson says he's seen quite a few trigger-happy boys like Amos. The second is when Amos asks if the magnetic procedure can be reversed. It seems like a personal moment for him, for some reason, like he's connected to it.

I mean, it's not a lot but it figures for me.

the magnetic procedure reversing is just him wondering if there was a generic scientific cure for sociopathy.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

shovelbum posted:

He's a sociopath but he isn't sadistic and he's fiercely loyal. The kind of guy you want on your side when poo poo hits the fan.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

uber_stoat posted:

he didn't have his brain modified like scientist man, he turned out the way he is because he had to be that kind of person to survive.

He asked that one lady if the procedure was reversible, implying he had it done to him.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

He asked that one lady if the procedure was reversible, implying he had it done to him.

Naturally born blind man pins hope that induced blindness can be cured. Not a doctor.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

Pander posted:

the magnetic procedure reversing is just him wondering if there was a generic scientific cure for sociopathy.
This was my read too

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

If he'd had it done he'd have probably been more aware of it as a procedure and already had that answer. He seemed intrigued by the guy. The scene does not imply he had it done to him, and there is a boatload of evidence that his hosed up childhood is what caused his sociopathy.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pander posted:

"like" is a complicated question. Best place on the issue is somewhere between rooting for him and :stonklol: at what he does.

Best scene had to be the bet payoff scene with Alex

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Alex won me over as my favourite character in Season 2 during the scene where he's just chilling on the Roci cracking beers and messing around in zero g.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

Nah, he actually seemed surprised it was an actual procedure and that people would have it done.

Amos is definitely a product of nature/nurture. That’s why he latches on to someone he considers worthy as his moral compass. It was Naomi until she let him down, and he was eventually drawn into the the orbit of planet Holden.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Pander posted:

If he'd had it done he'd have probably been more aware of it as a procedure and already had that answer. He seemed intrigued by the guy. The scene does not imply he had it done to him, and there is a boatload of evidence that his hosed up childhood is what caused his sociopathy.

I meant that it was done to him without his knowledge or he isn't able to remember it, like he was hopeful that it was a reversible procedure.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm watching Season 2 right now. It doesn't seem like Amos received this treatment. I think it's Alex that mentions that Amos became a sociopath because of his childhood.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I feel like Alex is the most realistic type of guy you'd find on a commercial ship irl. Well the captain of the cant was awesome too

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They had to make a special trailer just for Drummer because she's that drat hard, this is all I'm saying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrVgSVFXM8M

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Can I be a pedant and say that Amos is definitely not a sociopath? He’s got a very strong sense of right and wrong for example. He’s just got a very short flowchart with very few possible outcomes for dealing with things that is what he had to develop to survive.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Taintrunner posted:

They had to make a special trailer just for Drummer because she's that drat hard, this is all I'm saying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrVgSVFXM8M

The uploader has not made this video available in your country.

What sort of broke-brain idiots region-restrict loving promotional material.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

AlternateAccount posted:

Can I be a pedant and say that Amos is definitely not a sociopath? He’s got a very strong sense of right and wrong for example. He’s just got a very short flowchart with very few possible outcomes for dealing with things that is what he had to develop to survive.

I hope you can, because I was just about to say that.

I wouldn't call Amos a sociopath. It's more that he is incredibly violent under certain conditions and that he just considers violence a tool -- and a very effective one.

But a key part of Amos' character is that he's aware that he's pretty broken, whether as a result of genetics or his upbringing. He shows some sociopathic tendencies (the superficial charm, seeming lack of genuine affect) but there are many he is precisely the opposite (deception, narcissism, irresponsibility). For example, Amos doesn't lack the capability to feel remorse, but he lacks the capability to express it in a healthy fashion. Likewise, his violence isn't impulsive -- it's a considered response to a threat. When Amos' violence is impulsive, as it gets in Book 7 at points, everyone acknowledges that it's out of character. And it stems from Amos having feelings that he doesn't know how to process, filtering them through the only thing he knows -- which is dog-eat-dog violence.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Feb 15, 2018

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There is a novella called The Churn which is entirely about where Amos comes from, if you guys want to know more. It's pretty good.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

AlternateAccount posted:

He does, but he generally doesn't have any problem killing people. Although I doubt he would gun down children for example. Isn't sociopathy a spectrum anyway?

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I mean, if we're trying to be accurate about it, sociopathy isn't a well-defined term, and medical people don't use it.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

Dancer posted:

I mean, if we're trying to be accurate about it, sociopathy isn't a well-defined term, and medical people don't use it.
Its just easier to say than antisocial personality disorder, which Amos definitely has

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

Its just easier to say than antisocial personality disorder, which Amos definitely has

I have a similar condition and can relate. You don't walk around acting like Tony Soprano all the time to be sure, even capable of empathy. When the feels switch off and you disconnect from emotions, watch out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Amos has just developed a way to fit every situation into a “Kill, Marry(or become incredibly loyal to), gently caress”

• Locked thread