Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Re: armies having a range: It should be logistically and realistically impossible to project force across the globe like players and AI alike can currently do. Its that simple. Paradox devs are some creative fellas so I trust they could come up with a system to increase attrition the farther you get from an army's "home/base state" or if you cannot trace a line from the army through friendly territory back to <something>.

I agree, but here's the thing. I don't think they want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fintilgin posted:

I agree, but here's the thing. I don't think they want to.
I know :(
Doesnt mean I wont be critical of them not doing it, though. I'll be speaking with my wallet blah blah blah.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I know :(
Doesnt mean I wont be critical of them not doing it, though. I'll be speaking with my wallet blah blah blah.

I'd love to see a massive overhaul of how armies work. More realistically for V then IV at this point.

Early game standing armies are too expensive to maintain and you Levy troops from states for a while much like CKII. Losses/length of service affect some sort of provincial loyalty/ noble happiness. As the game goes on you develop a professional standing army.

Armies have a home state like V2, and keeping them oversees is prohibitively expensive, even late game. Instead you have a small corp of European troops and recruit local sepoys/allies much like the merc interface that have local strength/stats and can abandon you or whatever. Colonial states raise their own colonial militia, and you can move them around in war like your own troops as long as they state in the colonies.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I would like that change, but that would mean the really good players would be left with little to do once they painted half the world. Unless it's really cheap to maintain a militia, but then you face the same problem really.

And let's face it, the game is about map painting anyways. I wish for EU5 they take a clue or three from MEIOU and taxes, it's a convoluted mess of a mod but the pop / development system it has is pretty good and historical!

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
It doesn't necessarily have to be a 'pop' system per se, but yeah one of the biggest things I want for EU is a more granular system for culture/religion. The current binary all-or-nothing system is a terrible hold over from back when EU was an adaptation of a literal boardgame. (I own an unpunched copy)

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

God I’m getting uncomfortable just imagining setting that up and playing it

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Jay Rust posted:

The worst part was changing the map modes.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Jay Rust posted:

It's interesting to me that it was made by the same guys behind AGEOD.

So, in some parallel universe there is a giant unplayable turn-based mess of a game called Europa Universalis from the guys who brought us Pride of Nations. :lol:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

is there a bigger picture of the rest of the world part of the board somewhere? I'd never actually seen it before, looks interesting

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

StarMinstrel posted:

The worst part was changing the map modes.
:roflolmao:
Would that involve carefully moving all pieces to another board or setting up one for every mode and moving pieces on all of them?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Koramei posted:

is there a bigger picture of the rest of the world part of the board somewhere? I'd never actually seen it before, looks interesting

Rest of the wha?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Koramei posted:

Mines in storage, but lots of pics at boardgamegeek.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/4102/europa-universalis/images

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Fister Roboto posted:

Shorter wars with less combat, especially in the early game, would be a good thing. My problem right now is that every war in this game is total war.

How effective would limiting the amount of warscore you could demand in early wars be? Because just making everything cost more in the early game wouldn't eliminate total wars, just make them less rewarding. If instead there was some sort of a cap on how much you could demand in any one peace then you'd be forced to have more limited wars but if you could teach the AI that, then maybe they wouldn't be so suicidally determined.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Maybe the AI should just loving accept peace treaties sometimes and not spend every last scrap of resources they have making GBS threads out mercs into your face over and over.

The reason you always go for a 100% peace is that the AI won't accept any peace at all until you've already put in the vast majority of the resources needed to secure that 100% peace. If the AI would say "well you occupied 1 fort and beat my main army twice, I'll give up a couple of border provinces" then everyone would be happy.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Jay Rust posted:

someone tried running a play by forums, it literally didnt finish teh first turn

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

hmm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UDGkbnKJR8

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

doingitwrong posted:

That's true. Most of the time, once I have gotten to the point that I can demand my actual war objective, the other side is beaten enough that a little more siege time will get me to 99% W/S and many more rewards and objectives.

I feel like a big part of that is the premium that enemy allies put on holding their capital.And if you can take the capital you can probably take everything. So over and over I end up sieging down and occupying an entire country over, like, a gold mine and a port in Mexico.

Yeah, it's super dumb that I can beat the ottoman army and occupy 90% of the eastern side of the Ottomans and have like 5% warscore.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Pain. -3 stab with 200 admin points to raise it and a disaster starts ticking because of positive unrest. At -1 a fuckyoulol event fires and brings it back down to -2 and the disaster is unavoidable which raises stab cost to 250. My precious admin. :cry:

Also Muslim republics SUCK. All the disadvantages of a republic but it also removes the religion mechanic. Derp. Imagine if elections wiped all pope mana, church powah or fervor while also getting rid of all the bonuses you currently had running from them. :saddowns:

The only good thing about it is the Shia school for the extra tradition. Not worth it. Time to aim for the parliament as well just because I can. On a sidenote it's kinda silly how not having a debate gives you increased corruption yet the way to win the debates is entirely through bribery.

Poil fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Feb 15, 2018

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

how do the dutch revolts work exactly? I ask because it's been a long time since I've played in this area and I don't remember, and my good buddy Austria's just called me into a defensive war against the newly formed Dutch Republic. Looking at it it's a foregone conclusion - even without my contribution the enemy will have 19k troops against ~110k troops (Austria, Brandenburg, and a whole bunch of minors), but there may come event-caused troop spawns? Secondly, I want Austria to lose this one because a weakened Austria will remain my friend but a strong Austria will declare me his rival sooner or later, but if the dutch will fail this war regardless I might as well farm them for favours.

double nine fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Feb 15, 2018

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

double nine posted:

how do the dutch revolts work exactly? I ask because it's been a long time since I've played in this area and I don't remember, and my good buddy Austria's just called me into a defensive war against the newly formed Dutch Republic. Looking at it it's a foregone conclusion - even without my contribution the enemy will have 18k troops against ~90k troops (Austria, Brandenburg, and a whole bunch of minors), but there may come event-caused troop spawns? Secondly, I want Austria to lose this one because a weakened Austria will remain my friend but a strong Austria will declare me his rival sooner or later, but if the dutch will fail this war regardless I might as well farm them for favours.
If they last long enough in the war other countries in the area will merge into them until the warscore to fully annex them goes above 100% and they'll survive. I'm not sure if they ever manage to win their independence war. You may notice that some nations will ally with them but won't actually be called into the war so they are completely on their own.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

if they survive will austria get rebellious events inside the low countries? Because I'm open for that.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

No idea, but I think the events stop firing after they have declared independence?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

:(.... I think I'll sit this one out. Maybe do a token siege and blockade their ports to show I'm helping, and hope that the other war participants don't do too much.

Hell, Sweden's pulled me into another war so obviously the livonian order is of greater importance than the low countries are, you got this right, austria?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
The rebels definitely keep going for a while. In my Austria game I had the Netherlands inside the HRE as a OPM - long story - while also having most of their historical territory and got tons of revolts in the 30-40k troops range.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Rynoto posted:

The rebels definitely keep going for a while. In my Austria game I had the Netherlands inside the HRE as a OPM - long story - while also having most of their historical territory and got tons of revolts in the 30-40k troops range.
Oh, cool. They definitely need the help. Even though it's totally annoying if you own the provinces yourself. :)

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Advice on integrating a vassal almost as big as me? Do I just do my best to expand and take enough development to make them loyal again?

I'm running a ck2 conversion and there was one very large vassal in my empire which was dangerous but working out fine in ck2. It's not working so great after conversion. Especially not since Ming is supporting their independence. I've kept them at +200 relations so they've never declared on me, but I'm not sure how long that'll last. My current strategy is to pick off any SE Asia or India minor who isn't yet a tributary of Ming's and make them my own tributary. I was going to try becoming a Ming tributary myself, but I guess being GP #6 precludes me from that. The only open expansion opportunities I have would be to dive into the islands with a claim and just start eating Pasai.

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

How do you guys do fleet composition? I know if put too many heavy ships in a fleet I get smoked by smaller fleets thanks to naval positioning, but if I make a fleet of about 10-12 heavy ships (late game threedeckers) I lose to fleets that are larger but have fewer heavy ships. Help, I'm really bad at naval warfare.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i just accept that i need to bring twice as many ships/fleets as the other guy

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i only build light ships because i'm cheap and lazy and galleys are bad. get around the same way i get around having worse armies, by picking off small fleets and using ally fleets

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
galleys rule actually

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

galleys are great

if you need to contest a lake

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

RabidWeasel posted:

Maybe the AI should just loving accept peace treaties sometimes and not spend every last scrap of resources they have making GBS threads out mercs into your face over and over.

The reason you always go for a 100% peace is that the AI won't accept any peace at all until you've already put in the vast majority of the resources needed to secure that 100% peace. If the AI would say "well you occupied 1 fort and beat my main army twice, I'll give up a couple of border provinces" then everyone would be happy.

Don't forget you also have to occupy and peace out all their allies, no matter how far away they are or how little the can actually contribute to the war!

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

Don't forget you also have to occupy and peace out all their allies, no matter how far away they are or how little the can actually contribute to the war!

I find for most part enemy allies to be the biggest obstacle to short wars.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

nogai :argh:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Naval combat in this game is a loving joke

Historically the Ottomans could throw literal hundreds of galleys at a Galleon and never scratch it, but :eu4lol:

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

:dukedog:
College Slice
Venice has something like 20% extra galley combat ability, and you are in the Mediterranean. And they beat the hell out of you on width. This result isn't surprising.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

my worse ships lost #justeuthings

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Why would you ever build heavy ships as the Ottomans?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dreissi posted:

Venice has something like 20% extra galley combat ability, and you are in the Mediterranean. And they beat the hell out of you on width. This result isn't surprising.
Venice didn't actually have any galleys in the fight; those were all papal galleys. I'm surprised because I get Zero feedback from the game about why I lost and I have the distinct impression that heavies are supposed to be good.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

my worse ships lost #justeuthings
Please explain to me how my ships were worse, because the game doesn't. I'm not being sarcastic.

Fister Roboto posted:

Why would you ever build heavy ships as the Ottomans?
Because I thought galleys were bad and I often have to leave the med to go to far off lands to deal with

Fister Roboto posted:

Also I need 70+ transports to move one army around so I've been like 50% over my forcelimit since I got to the Indian ocean because that means I need two fleets that have 70+ transports. If I had a fleet of galleys in the Med I would be at least at 200% my naval forcelimit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Heavies aren't very good following the addition of naval combat width. A galleon has 30 hull points and 60 cannons, while three galleasses have a total of 36 hull points and 54 cannons. If they're in the Mediterranean, they effectively have 108 cannons, so they will absolutely shred heavies. Even light ships can put up a decent fight against heavies.

I'm assuming you're around tech level 15. Your side has a total of 240 hull points and 480 cannons. Your enemy has 294 hull points and 497 cannons. Their total fleet is better than yours in every way, and they have a leader while you don't.