Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was with my ex when Singapur happened, goddamit that was tragic. I still remember her poor face and my yelling at the tv.

DoctorGonzo fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I don't get it, that was the best moment of the season. How is it tragic?

E: also wasn't that Singapore?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I’ve created a twitter account just to mock Toro Rosso with stuff from Grand Prix driver, I think it’s going to be my new best thing ever this season.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tsaedje posted:

I don't get it, that was the best moment of the season. How is it tragic?

…………………./΄―/)
………………..,/―../
………………./…./
…………./΄―/’…’/΄――`·Έ
………./’/…/…./……./¨―\
……..(‘(…΄…΄…. ―~/’…’)
………\……………..’…../
……….”…\………. _.·΄
…………\…………..(
…………..\………….\…

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

learnincurve posted:

I’ve created a twitter account just to mock Toro Rosso with stuff from Grand Prix driver, I think it’s going to be my new best thing ever this season.

Red Bull banned me from their Twitter account because I asked if they were going to swap a fetus in if one of their drivers has a bad race. Good luck.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
There is more potential to annoy Toro Rosso. They are like Sauber in that absolutely no one is a fan of Toro Rosso outside of Toro Rosso with this driver line up.

You just know “I am going to laugh so very hard when you guys are leaving a couple of Renault’s behind you on the track 😁. Let’s hope the high hopes will pay out. Can’t wait to see this years beauty. Only 12 days remaining before the reveal 😱.” is from a PR rep who hasn’t had his spirit crushed yet.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I DMed McLaren several times last year to complain about the livery and yet they still follow me.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I'm parsing that image to be a way to dump somebody?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

I DMed McLaren several times last year to complain about the livery and yet they still follow me.

What is a DM?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahshahahahah

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Direct message (on Twitter)

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

If you fully expect a failure to happen, can it truly be called random?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

That's a good idea.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
If failing to prepare is preparing to fail, then what is preparing to fail?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

HJB posted:

If failing to prepare is preparing to fail, then what is preparing to fail?

McLaren-Honda

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

This is funny but tech companies do this every day. Netflix has a massive system to do this to ensure that their poo poo is always up and that the redundancies are correct.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Gigi Galli posted:

This is funny but tech companies do this every day. Netflix has a massive system to do this to ensure that their poo poo is always up and that the redundancies are correct.

Chaos monkeys! No one will let us try this at our data center though :(

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Gigi Galli posted:

It makes sense for alot of situations but it's just such a loving defeatist attitude for a racing team to have that I love it. "Yeah we know our poo poo sucks and is gonna fail, we're now preparing for that."

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Think of it as like taking two sets of tyres from the bin, just in case.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

It makes sense for alot of situations but it's just such a loving defeatist attitude for a racing team to have that I love it. "Yeah we know our poo poo sucks and is gonna fail, we're now preparing for that."

I'm 99% sure this is exactly how any top team would prepare for Le Mans. The fact that they weren't doing this before is probably why they lost. Joest didn't win a bunch of races because their cars were bulletproof, they won because they were insanely good at fixing problems (among other things).

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

wicka posted:

Chaos monkeys! No one will let us try this at our data center though :(

Yeah! It's really cool.

1500quidporsche posted:

Yeah this is a bad PR move to admit it in my opinion.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

I'm 99% sure this is exactly how any top team would prepare for Le Mans. The fact that they weren't doing this before is probably why they lost. Joest didn't win a bunch of races because their cars were bulletproof, they won because they were insanely good at fixing problems (among other things).

I would partially agree to that and also say it's down to design, there's a way to build a car that is easy to service quickly that Toyota very blatantly hasn't done.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The irony ofcourse is that I got my Toyota cause it's easy to service and work on.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

I would partially agree to that and also say it's down to design, there's a way to build a car that is easy to service quickly that Toyota very blatantly hasn't done.

That's a good point, I'm pretty sure you could replace the entire front end of those Audis in like 40 seconds.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm pretty sure all the top cars had failures of some sort at last year's le mans, it was just that Toyota got stranded out on the track and were hosed

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I'm pretty sure all the top cars had failures of some sort at last year's le mans, it was just that Toyota got stranded out on the track and were hosed

That's happened across multiple years. Was it 2014 where they were trying to get the driver to repair the car and giving him instructions by cell phone?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

The irony ofcourse is that I got my Toyota cause it's easy to service and work on.

Japanese road cars are reliable but their race cars are certainly not, not now and not historically.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

haha

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

iospace posted:

McLaren-Honda

Bravo

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

learnincurve posted:

There is more potential to annoy Toro Rosso. They are like Sauber in that absolutely no one is a fan

GP2 Boyfriend's growing collection of Sauber merch begs to differ.

Also, next time my boss's boss says the words, "Chaos Monkey," in a meeting, I will drive to his office and end him.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Human Grand Prix posted:

Japanese road cars are reliable but their race cars are certainly not, not now and not historically.
On topic, I was just reading last night about the Honda NR500 GP bike, a four- stroke trying to compete against 2- strokes. It was a complete failure, somehow they managed not to notice that the 2t bikes were making 20hp more than they projected to make when they started the project. To make enough RPMs to have competitive hp they would have to run pistons at g forces higher than V10 era F1 engines. They designed an exoskeleton frame that weighed like 10lbs to make up for the heavy engine, and it made service impossible.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

My favorite part of that stupid engine was that they thought they were really gonna get a leg up on the two stroke guys by using some exotic materials to lighten and lower the really high CoG of the four stroke and the two stroke teams all just shrugged and did the same thing negating any benefit it brought.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Two of the Toyota's failed on track un-recoverably. One of the Porsches did too.
One had a total loss of power and the other was unsighted by an ?LMP2? car coming out of the pits and Kamui tried to drive it back too fast and shredded the entire rear section of the car.
Both Porsches had the same problem iirc, but one made it back to the pits and was able to be fixed.

1500quidporsche posted:

That's happened across multiple years. Was it 2014 where they were trying to get the driver to repair the car and giving him instructions by cell phone?

It's every year. I think it was Lotterer who was getting "how to restart the engine" instructions over his headset as he tried to limp down Mulsanne this year.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Speaking of Lotterer, Leena Gade came out in favor of grid girls recently

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Speaking of Lotterer, Leena Gade came out in favor of grid girls recently

I thought maybe you won the Lotterer, but I'm Leena towards thinking this isn't a Gade post.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Is Motownphilly back again?

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

1500quidporsche posted:

Is Motownphilly back again?

ladaddadada

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
My wife and I finally got around to watching the McLaren doc. She thinks Zak Brown looks like a 'potato covered in grease' and that the McLaren watch looks like poo poo.

Also a 'why does it sound like poo poo' when they finally crank the engine clever girl

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Also a 'why does it sound like poo poo' when they finally crank the engine clever girl

I'm going to defend Honda here and say that from personal experience any time I've swapped in an engine it was basically to confirm the thing ran and see what was wrong and needed to be fixed, I can't blame Honda for it sounding like poo poo when it sounded like poo poo to begin with and they redesigned the engine. Especially since they don't design or handle any of the chassis side electronics and they need to make their engine communicate with it. When I swapped in a twin cam on the Scirocco I lost 2nd and 4th gear and the ignition was hosed.

When I put my rotary (that was rebuilt by a shop that does nothing but rotary engines) back in I did about 10km and really low speeds where it seemed to run a little lean and then it wouldn't start back up. Turns out the guy who's only job is rebuilding these engines day in and day out had forgot to put the fuel injector seals moulded into the housing back in, this was after a double digit long email chain of me asking him what I needed to be taken off the engine when I gave it to him and him nonchalantly saying that it didn't really matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
The V6 engines just kinda sound like poo poo. But that Honda did sound worse than the average poo poo. Yet everyone in the documentary was like "SOUNDS RAD." Yeah sounds like rad poo poo

• Locked thread