Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Jimbot posted:

Getting some serious Bioshock Infinite vibes from that. "It's best to keep the status quo cuz the revolutionaries, who are primarily made up of people of color, are as violent and terrible as their white, racist oppressors!" The centrist "both sides" poo poo. I swear I'm becoming a curmudgeonly old man when it comes to the politics of blockbuster films. Probably because this sort of line of thinking makes up #TheResistance.
It doesn't quite work out like that. The plot is T'Challa defending his throne from a usurper who is a long-lost relative (I didn't spoiler that because it should have been really loving obvious from the trailers and the fact that this is the laziest kind of plot for a superhero who is the heir to great power). So it's black people fighting other black people. What weirded me out about this movie is its perception of race relations in history. Killmonger asks why Wakanda didn't do anything to stop the Atlantic slave trade. I could have pointed out to him that most black slaves were captured by fellow blacks and sold to white slavers. Slaves were often captives taken in war or raids from rival tribes, and sold to white traders in exchange for firearms and other Western products. Black people do not all love each other. They are as riven by ethnicity as white people. Had Wakanda wanted to end the slave trade, it would have had to literally conquer and rule all of Africa to suppress the tribal warfare that supplied slaves to the whites. Another thing that annoyed me was Killmonger's plan. He wants to distribute vibranium weapons to all the black people in the world so that they can overthrow the white man. Problem is he attempts this immediately without first organizing a global political movement that would receive his weapons, for an army, and then impose a new order. Instead he just expects Wakandan agents in white-ruled countries to just do the job themselves. It's stupid as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Serf posted:

tony stark's whole deal is that one of his weapons inconvenienced him and he suddenly realized that actual people get blown up by his poo poo all the time and so he does a good thing in shutting it all down, but then builds a weapon just for himself because he thinks that only responsible people (him) can be trusted with it. he revels in his infinite wealth and literally wears it as armor and rather than spend that money improving the material conditions of the people he claims he wants to help he spends it on more suits of armor so he can punch space aliens that are only here because of his dad

He and Batman would get along great.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

ruddiger posted:

Chronicle or Creed? The Wire is a critical darling, but not a lot of people have seen it (or only know about it through cultural osmosis).
Or fuckin Fruitvale Station

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Idea: since WB is apparently completely out of ideas for what to do with The Flash, and they cut out the one scene with his love interest in JL, and they’ve still got Ezra Miller on the wire, why not make The Flash into the gay equivalent of WW/BP? Those two movies made/will make all the money on earth, and a movie starring a gay superhero that doesn’t devolve into terrible gay stereotypes would probably make bank and give them a direction that was lacking from their previous attempts.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

Idea: since WB is apparently completely out of ideas for what to do with The Flash, and they cut out the one scene with his love interest in JL, and they’ve still got Ezra Miller on the wire, why not make The Flash into the gay equivalent of WW/BP? Those two movies made/will make all the money on earth, and a movie starring a gay superhero that doesn’t devolve into terrible gay stereotypes would probably make bank and give them a direction that was lacking from their previous attempts.

Send this to Geoff Johns and watch his head explode

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Davros1 posted:

Send this to Geoff Johns and watch his head explode

See? Another reason this should happen.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Wait, wait, wait... you're telling me that in this Marvel movie the liberal hero must purge the world of an extremist version of himself?!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

Wait, wait, wait... you're telling me that in this Marvel movie the liberal hero must purge the world of an extremist version of himself?!

Does he snap his neck?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Ferrinus posted:

a full list of all of the super hero movies that fall into this trope would probably feature half the MCU.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

a full list of all of the super hero movies that fall into this trope would probably feature half the MCU.

And a lot of the DC

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Well, they always say that in screenwriting the antagonist should be a mirror of the protagonist. Marvel/DC are just taking it to it's logical conclusion. :buddy:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Davros1 posted:

And a lot of the DC

i dunno, I feel like MoS is the only one where the protagonist and antagonist are mirrors. None of the Nolan Bat-Movies had an explicit mirror of Batman as the villain (I suppose Ra's comes closest), Green Lantern didn't (although I bet the second, if it didn't bomb, would have been Sinestro which would qualify), Wonder Woman didn't, Suicide Squad didn't, JL didn't, Aquaman is looking like it might but then Shazam is going away from the Black Adam angle so it won't.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Not strictly true, Bane is a mirror of Batman in every possible way.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Maybe they could mix it up and for the next movie have Iron Man confront something that his arrogance had a hand in creating. Would be a huge breakthrough, incredible.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Some would argue WW did, since Ares' was another god.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Neo Rasa posted:

Maybe they could mix it up and for the next movie have Iron Man confront something that his arrogance had a hand in creating. Would be a huge breakthrough, incredible.

Marvel's gotten so much milage out of this plot that their first Spider-Man movie was about confronting something that Iron Man's arrogance had a hand in creating.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

DC Murderverse posted:

i dunno, I feel like MoS is the only one where the protagonist and antagonist are mirrors. None of the Nolan Bat-Movies had an explicit mirror of Batman as the villain (I suppose Ra's comes closest), Green Lantern didn't (although I bet the second, if it didn't bomb, would have been Sinestro which would qualify), Wonder Woman didn't, Suicide Squad didn't, JL didn't, Aquaman is looking like it might but then Shazam is going away from the Black Adam angle so it won't.

While Clark and Zod were the same class of superbeing, the latter wasn’t an extremist/gone-too-far version of the former. Zod had the same powers but wasn’t a dark mirror of Clark’s character or ideals.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

DC Murderverse posted:

Marvel's gotten so much milage out of this plot that their first Spider-Man movie was about confronting something that Iron Man's arrogance had a hand in creating.

Yeah, but that movie was really good, so I'll allow it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I was really hoping the villain of Black Panther would be due to one of those projects he funded when he announced he was funny funding all MIT projects

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

sassassin posted:

What else would you know him from?

Creed and FF. Watched The Wire I just never put 2 and 2 together.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Not strictly true, Bane is a mirror of Batman in every possible way.
And in BvS, Wayne and Luthor mirror each other in every possible way.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I was really hoping the villain of Black Panther would be due to one of those projects he funded when he announced he was funny funding all MIT projects
All the farmers in Wakanda are committing suicide because they can't pay back their Stark-financed microcredit loans; T'Challa has to destroy the NYSE with vibranium superweapons that can dissolve steel beams.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 14, 2018

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Zod is a dark mirror of Jor-el, with them each representing a half of the Kryptonian ideal: Jor-el's the utopian super-science and personal improvement, Zod gets Dr Space-Mengele and colonialism. Clark ultimately rejects both.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
clearly the Guardians of the Galaxy need to have a team of six even bigger dysfunctional space travelers as their opponents for GOTG3
and one of them is a badger

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I think the key point here is that BP’s another gun control debate film where the topic is ‘power in the abstract’. In conclusion, power is a land of contrasts.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Kurzon posted:

It doesn't quite work out like that. The plot is T'Challa defending his throne from a usurper who is a long-lost relative (I didn't spoiler that because it should have been really loving obvious from the trailers and the fact that this is the laziest kind of plot for a superhero who is the heir to great power). So it's black people fighting other black people. What weirded me out about this movie is its perception of race relations in history. Killmonger asks why Wakanda didn't do anything to stop the Atlantic slave trade. I could have pointed out to him that most black slaves were captured by fellow blacks and sold to white slavers. Slaves were often captives taken in war or raids from rival tribes, and sold to white traders in exchange for firearms and other Western products. Black people do not all love each other. They are as riven by ethnicity as white people. Had Wakanda wanted to end the slave trade, it would have had to literally conquer and rule all of Africa to suppress the tribal warfare that supplied slaves to the whites. Another thing that annoyed me was Killmonger's plan. He wants to distribute vibranium weapons to all the black people in the world so that they can overthrow the white man. Problem is he attempts this immediately without first organizing a global political movement that would receive his weapons, for an army, and then impose a new order. Instead he just expects Wakandan agents in white-ruled countries to just do the job themselves. It's stupid as hell.

There's some stuff I don't agree with here. I mean yes you can accept that tribes sold one another out, but that was only a part of it. And Killmonger makes the larger point about how Wakanda never helped black people throughout the world with all their struggles. It pretty pointedly references the Civil Rights movement as well as modern day. His point isn't specific beyond the fact that Wakanda has never intervened, which is something that they themselves admit.

As for his plan...yeah of course it's hasty. He's angry. But he doesn't want the Wakandan agents to just do it all themselves, he just wants to get the weapons to them and let them lead revolutions. That's not to say they're going to do it tomorrow or anything,

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That sounds like yet another Marvel villain that's 100% correct who's thwarted by the hero for some unknown reason.

T'Challa doesn't really think he's wrong either, just that he's going about it the wrong way. A big issue of the movie is should Wakanda as a superpower help anyone at all. T'Challa thinks that they should, Killmonger thinks they should just rule over everyone else instead. It's more Martin Luther King/Malcom X if you want to be base about it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Malcolm X was an anti-imperialist.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Halloween Jack posted:

Malcolm X was an anti-imperialist.

Yeah, Malcolm X was not a supremacist.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's a really lovely comparison either way you go

Especially since by the end of their respective lives, both were heading more towards where the other were earlier on.

You know until they were killed before their time.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I get it, he's just trying to oppose a black civil rights leader and a going-too-far version of same, which is kind of a formula with Marvel. But actually, Malcolm X was cool and good.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

King was very critical of capitalism as well. So he'd be villain in these films. The good guy who got corrupted.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

“Hey you think maybe we’re oversimplifying the reality of historical events in favor of painting a more binary, and therefore easier to digest conflict?

Well anyway, here’s the new Mr. Potato Head tie in.”

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Malcolm X is pretty much a superhero name. Malcolm X Man.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Professor Malcolm X

e: how cool would the prequel x-men movies have been if they used the 60s setting for this

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
funny how people always compared malcolm X to Magneto instead

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

They're really not mirrors, though. Not in MOS. I mean, they visually register as similar and have the same powers, but they have completely opposite endgames.

BiggerBoat posted:

Creed and FF. Watched The Wire I just never put 2 and 2 together.

He does look really different. He was sort of gangly and dorky in the Wire, and he looks like he's carved out of stone now.

Him in Creed is one of the times I've recently been really impressed with an actor's physical transformation.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Snowman_McK posted:

Him in Creed is one of the times I've recently been really impressed with an actor's physical transformation.

He definitely got huge for Creed, but I was used to him in Friday Night Lights so I didn't really think of it as a big transformation.

I remember Gyllenhaal in Southpaw was pretty impressive.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Snowman_McK posted:

They're really not mirrors, though. Not in MOS. I mean, they visually register as similar and have the same powers, but they have completely opposite endgames.

He does look really different. He was sort of gangly and dorky in the Wire, and he looks like he's carved out of stone now.

The Wire was one of those rare shows where the teenagers were played by actual teenagers. Jordan was 15 when he did the Wire. 7 years later he played a teenager on Friday Night Lights.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

DeafNote posted:

funny how people always compared malcolm X to Magneto instead
Next X-Men movie should have Magneto as the anti-capitalist anti-hero going up against the liberal establishment Professor X.

Or just any idea that might make those movies loving interesting again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
White nerds telling black people they aren't leftist enough is always a great look.